457 visa without sponsorship....how feasible?

Willie G

Hi Folks,

Not been on here for a good while, would like to move across next year all being well, lookin at Perth,Melbourne but tbh would consider nearly anywhere....

I'm a HGV Class 2 driver, also have a Counter Balance Forklift licence, well aware that these positions arent on the skilled list, so I'm wondering how feasible would it be to come across on what looks like it would be the 457 Visa Off my own back as I doubt I would get sponsorship...?

Just lookin for some advice from those in the know......Cheerz

In order to be sponsored, your occupation still has to be on 'a' list. Such as a Skilled Occupations List for a 189 Skilled Independent Visa or the Consolidated List for State and Employer sponsorships.

Correct me if I am wrong...

Thanks......so I would have to get a 457 visa off my own back n go across and look for work....seems to be loads of jobs over there,have money saved up to survive as well...

I see the bus companies are still lookin for people to train up an become driver, that's a good option,would be keen on that

A bit of confusion ...you must have a sponsor for a 457 visa in order to get th visa in the first place. A 189 needs no sponsor but the list of professions is both different and smaller and are more likely to be professions with university qualifications or trade certificates needed.

wondering how feasible would it be to come across on what looks like it would be the 457 Visa Off my own back as I doubt I would get sponsorship...?

[/quoTE]

Not possible, you can't get a 457 visa without a sponsor. The whole point of a 457 visa is to let Australian employers hire foreign workers to fill temporary vacancies.

I've actually got tickets for Down Under Live at the SECC in Oct so hopefully they should be able to give me a bit more info as well.....

Willy, as people have indicated above you need to be sponsored by an employer for a 457 for a job. The employer must have advertised the job within Australia (normally on http://www.seek.com.au) to have tried to get an Australian to do the job.

What I would suggest is you get in touch with HGV employers, sending them your CV (resume) and see if any of them are looking for a driver... if they are, and are willing to give you a go then they may sponsor you....

I would especially try regional Australia (not the major towns and cities) as these tend to struggle to attract good people.....

What is the best options then....bear in mind hgv drivers arent on the list...

Can you do it all yourself an look for work when you get over there....any job would do for starters ??

you will need a visa to get there in the first place. If you're eligible then, sure, you can do the visa application process yourself but if your occupation isn't on the list .... Rethink!

Can you do it all yourself an look for work when you get over there....any job would do for starters ??

Best option? To be blunt, but realistic, I am afraid you need to accept that you have no options. HGV drivers are not eligible for wirk related visas to Australia.

Best option? To be blunt, but realistic, I am afraid you need to accept that you have no options. HGV drivers are not eligible for wirk related visas to Australia.

Not strictly true... Let's not be so harsh now, Bungo ;)

You could retrain in your career path. It has been known to many users of this forum before where ones occupation was not on either of the list, they chose an occupation from the list and gained the relevant qualifications/years experience in the nominated occupation.

Please note that if you choose this route that the occupation that you select from either of the lists could be removed at any point. Nor is there any guarantee that it'll get you into Australia.

Most nominated occupations also require at least 3 years post qualification experience in order to get a skills assessment - which is also part of the visa process in most cases.

Good luck.

As mentioned. At the moment, you are not going to be eligible for any visa that would allow you to live and work in Australia.

Your only realy option is to look at retraining. However, you would have to do this in the knowledge that it would take a number of years and there is no gaurantee that the new occupation would still be eligible as Australia changes the lists of occupations regularly.

Not strictly true... Let's not be so harsh now, Bungo ;)

You could retrain in your career path. It has been known to many users of this forum before where ones occupation was not on either of the list, they chose an occupation from the list and gained the relevant qualifications/years experience in the nominated occupation.

Please note that if you choose this route that the occupation that you select from either of the lists could be removed at any point. Nor is there any guarantee that it'll get you into Australia.

Most nominated occupations also require at least 3 years post qualification experience in order to get a skills assessment - which is also part of the visa process in most cases.

Good luck.

My bad. I did mean no options as an HGV driver. That is the truth, harsh as it is.

I notice from some older posts that OP is in early 40s, so even with retraining this could be very difficult. A few years to complete training and close to losing age points and no work experience points to compensate. It would need a lot of luck and other things for everything to line up on this one.

No, the only visa you can get is a tourist visa and you're not allowed to work.

It's tough, but for many, many people there is simply no way to migrate. I came out to Oz with my husband (now ex!). If I'd wanted to migrate on my own, it simply would never have been possible, my occupation isn't on any list. That's just the way it goes.

I've known a couple of HGV drivers who have both moved permanently to Australia BUT one came on his partners visa (Accountant) and one was an electrician by trade, so he went back to work in that field before applying (I think for a 457 at first). Both are now driving for a living.

My OH also drives HGVs. He is 42 and would never be able to go alone due to lack of a "skill" or time to retrain.

Lucky for him I'm 33 and will be qualified in 2 years... will my skill still be on the list in 2 years time? Who knows?

Best of luck!

Hmmmm doesn't sound too hopeful....I'd be gutted I'd I can't go tbh....

I looked at your earlier posts and looked like you considered New Zealand a couple of years ago. Your wife is past the cutoff for Australia immigration, but I believe NZ has a higher age limit, or it did, so could she look into that again?

I'm now seperated..Which Is why I wanna look into this now an finally do it....

OK sorry about bringing that up. But it does sadly mean you have no options but to retrain and even then there are w lot of things that would need to go your way,

Archived