How bad really is the weather in Melbourne?

Anz

Hi all

Been on this forum reading quite a bit.

Myself my Girlfriend and our 3yr old son are planning on moving down under, it's been my dream for as long as I can remember.

We are both 100% on board

I think my OH is pretty much sold on Melbourne, I like the look too, its just the famous weather that seems to pop up quite a bit. ;)

I'm an A/C engineer and she's a social worker.

I'll be working outside quite a bit so I've always imagined myself in shorts n shades :)

I'm keen on Perth but she isn't due to its "remoteness" so we've landed on Melbourne through process of elimination tbh

Sydney - too expensive

Brisbane - too far from beach

Gold Coast - too far for work

Adelaide - not really considered

Any info or words much appreciated

Cheers andy

Hi all

Been on this forum reading quite a bit.

Myself my Girlfriend and our 3yr old son are planning on moving down under, it's been my dream for as long as I can remember.

We are both 100% on board

I think my OH is pretty much sold on Melbourne, I like the look too, its just the famous weather that seems to pop up quite a bit. ;)

I'm an A/C engineer and she's a social worker.

I'll be working outside quite a bit so I've always imagined myself in shorts n shades :)

I'm keen on Perth but she isn't due to its "remoteness" so we've landed on Melbourne through process of elimination tbh

Sydney - too expensive

Brisbane - too far from beach

Gold Coast - too far for work

Adelaide - not really considered

Any info or words much appreciated

Cheers andy

Not sure how true it is but I believe the rainfall is on a par with London.

The people that live there seem to think it is better than the UK but of course it depends where in the UK you live, I'm sure it's better than Scotland :)

To be honest I don't think the weather anywhere in Australia is like the holiday brochure - it rains & rains heavily, even in Perth there are four seasons and the houses are so cold that you're huddled in front of a gas heater under blankets at times and of course you aclimatise so that 25 degrees feels a bit nippy and the jumpers go on.

If anything if you work outside I'd avoid places with extreme heat as it is punishing, I suppose the only consideration is the hotter the place the more call for A/C! That said I'm not sure what you mean be the 'remoteness' of Perth - remoteness from where? It's nearer to the UK, close to parts of Asia & flights to other parts of Australia aren't as expensive as they used to be. If you lived in Melbourne where is any closer in practical terms?

What do you like doing outside of work? Will you really always be at the beach? I'd say Melbourne is a good shout if working outside however.

Melbourne seems to get some intense heat for a month or so each year, that is about the only thing that would bother me (slightly). Most Australian cities have higher rainfall than the UK (although many don't seem to realise this, including most Australians) but they won't get as cold in winter.

We're from Manchester, so it pisses it down here quite a bit :)

We want beaches, bbqs , beers , parks.

Time in the garden etc

I've just been told that Melbourne weather can ruin ur plans as it can be sunny then big hale stones the next minute.

Time in the garden etc

I've just been told that Melbourne weather can ruin ur plans as it can be sunny then big hale stones the next minute.

I am from Manchester and I can assure you that the rainfall will be far more than you are accustomed too. There will be more rain and more days of rain. There will also be more gorgeous blue skies and sunshine in-between and overall higher temperatures.

4 seasons in one day quite possible! Some superb storms from time to time and the odd dust storm in the summer. Flinders St station in the winter is bloody cold as the wind has nothing to stop it on its way up from the South Pole. At least it is essentially seasonal.

Hi,as far as Adelaides weather goes,pretty similar to Melbournes.My two brothers are builders,so obviously work outside.High summer temps,they tend to start work at 5am,and finish around lunchtime (extreme high temps they don't bother working)and they have been rained off plenty of days over the years.Most houses don't have central heating and where I lived,used to be around 5c in winter,below zero overnight some some occasions.We had a wood burner that was on pretty much 24/7 in the cooler months.Early Sept the temp starts rising,and the sun can feel intensely warm,so easy to get sunburn if you're not careful.Last winter we had monsoonal type rainfall a fair bit,but on the positive side it keeps the ressies topped up for summer.

SA can be prone to droughts in summer,which might sound appealing if you're trying to avoid the rain,but in all honesty?Yep nice to see blue skies,but the downside of this is possible hose pipe bans,and if you don't have sufficient water in your water tanks,your garden will die a slow death!Sorry if all this sounds quite negative but that's the reality.Yep the weather can be nice of course,but you need to be realistic of your expectations.

Time in the garden etc

And after that minute back to sunshine

I've got a lot of family who live in Melbourne so we spent the best part of Dec 07 - Aug 08 living & working in Melbourne & living with my uncle. The weather is similar to the UK in the sense of how unpredictable it is, for example you can wake up in the morning to glorious sunshine & by lunch time it's windy & wet - we found that most of the other major cities have slightly more stable/persistent weather.

In the winter it was cold...I'm talking endless grey days, wet, windy & miserable! It was so cold I even got my parents to bring my winter ski jacket over with them when they visited us in the June! Saying that there were nice days inbetween!

If you like seasons & you don't want it to be beach weather all year round then Melbourne sounds like the right place for you! Lots of Brits live there because it reminds them more of home than other cities! My husband & I emigrate in 16 days time but we're not heading to Melbourne to settle, largely due to the weather - we just want more of a year round beach life. Don't rule out the Gold Coast though as there would be lots of job opportunities available there. There would be more in Brisbane but the Gold Coast is a big place remember...and a commute would probably only be 45 minutes....which you might easily end up doing in Melbourne! Have you got any suburbs in mind yet?

We've looked at park dale, point cook so far, it's still early days yet

We've changed our minds 3-4 times in the last month so who knows.

But tbh I think I want a more consistent weather :)

I really do like the look of Perth the beaches look amazing but like I say my GF isn't willing to even listen haha

My husband is an engineer & is keen to get work out in the mines so Perth would be an ideal location for us as lots of the FIFO jobs depart from there...but we decided we just couldn't live there! We spent about a month there in 2008 & found it to be very isolated. Perth as a city isn't all that big & when we travelled outside to explore we didn't find all that many interesting places so if we lived there we'd end up paying for flights to leave the state every time we wanted a holiday. Also with all our friends & family being in Melb & Sydney we didn't fancy having to make that 3 / 4 hour flight all the time! Weather is better there year round & there's loads of Brits if you're wanting to make friends with them. It's also about as expensive as Sydney for most things! I found eating out in Perth more expensive!

If you're wanting the better weather year round I would say go to Gold Coast! My cousin & a friend of ours have emigrated there in the past few years & they're all living 'the dream'!

Nah it's nothing like Blackpool! It's similar in the sense that it's a holiday destination & there are theme parks there, but they are proper theme parks & you have to drive out to them. You can't see them from the beach like you can in Blackpool. The best place I can think to compare it to is somewhere like Miami! The city has all the high end designer stores like Louis Vuitton & the Versache Hotel is located there! They have loads of nice waterways too & little islands that you can live on in waterfront properties! It's a big place! We're planning to move there ourselves in a few years :-)

I would recommend Brisbane. Definitely lots of call for A/C. My oh is a social worker and has found great opportunities here. Re the beach - there are lovely beaches plus the weather for it all year round. Although something to bear in mind generally in Australia - unless you finish work v early or live across road from beach you will be mainly limited to weekends as it gets dark early all year road. People may correct me on early nightfall in other states.

Time in the garden etc

We're from Manchester too, Gee Cross so closer to Stockport really. I would head for Perth mate. The "remoteness" and "isolation" that people go on about is a non-issue when you live here. Perth is a big City with everything you would expect. There are new areas galore with good housing, weather is streets in front of Melbourne (as is the City in my opinion), beaches are fantastic and close to the City, there are some brilliant holiday destinations without going out of the State. Driving is easy once you're out of the City, Straight roads with next to no traffic, switch the cruise control on and relax.

We've never regretted coming here for one second. Sydney and Brisbane are better than Melbourne too. Sydney is expensive though and Brisbane doesn't have good beaches neat the City. Sunshine and Gold Coast aren't too far away though. I could have settled on the Sunny Coast.:cool:

My husband is an engineer & is keen to get work out in the mines so Perth would be an ideal location for us as lots of the FIFO jobs depart from there...but we decided we just couldn't live there! We spent about a month there in 2008 & found it to be very isolated. Perth as a city isn't all that big & when we travelled outside to explore we didn't find all that many interesting places so if we lived there we'd end up paying for flights to leave the state every time we wanted a holiday. Also with all our friends & family being in Melb & Sydney we didn't fancy having to make that 3 / 4 hour flight all the time! Weather is better there year round & there's loads of Brits if you're wanting to make friends with them. It's also about as expensive as Sydney for most things! I found eating out in Perth more expensive!

If you're wanting the better weather year round I would say go to Gold Coast! My cousin & a friend of ours have emigrated there in the past few years & they're all living 'the dream'!

Did you go to the wineries and breweries in the Swan Valley? 30 minutes drive out of Perth. Did you go down South for the places like Margaret River, Augusta, Busselton, Denmark (one of my favourites) even Mandurah is decent for a day out. You have Rottnest Island off the Coast, I love it there. Totally different feel than the mainland, so relaxing and a great pub. Don't know why you would want to be anywhere else. I love being off work and at home. There is so much to do without going anywhere and we get to sleep in our own bed and not pay extortionate hotel prices.:cool:

Archived