How bad really is the weather in Melbourne?

Anz

You can get some cold (that's where our minimum temps drop to 10-12C, but usually warms up by afternoon ) and some very cold days from Jun-Aug (max temps 10-14C and min 2-3C), but you do get a lot of sunny days Jun-Jul-Aug, so it isn't as bad as it's made out to be. I find that if I'm just sitting in one place then I tend to feel a lot colder than it probably is. But if I'm out walking/gardening then it hardly affects me (this is when it is around 12-15C).

Also, the forecasts are pretty accurate so you can plan your day accordingly.

I'll take cold weather over hot/humid/muggy/rainy/stormy weather any day :)

Edit: Melbourne is THE best city for families in Australia!!

Edited by Anya

If we could take the winter from Sydney and Brisbane Melbourne weather would be perfect. However this has been the coldest winter for a long long time and everyone one of us who has been here a long time are saying so.

I love Autumn best, then Spring, Winter and last I hate summer everywhere. Flies flies and more flies.

We want beaches, bbqs , beers , parks.

Time in the garden etc

Then that's not Melbourne. Melbourne is a long way from a decent surf beach - although some bayside areas try to pass themselves off as beach. As for BBQs, beers - this is a big stereotype. The reality is that Australians tend to work long hours and don't have time for the BBQs and beers. The parks - most parts of Australia will have good weather at some point of the year, but when going outdoors, it's not just rain you worry about, it can also be extreme heat, flies and cold.

Melbourne may heat up to teen temperatures on many winter days, but the mornings and evenings can be very chilly. Even in early summer, the walk to the station can be chilly. And whilst the weather can turn, the weather forecasting is usually pretty spot on (they can even predict what time the rain will come), so you can work around it. Melbourne avoids the cyclones and storms of Queensland and the humidity that can affect much of Australia.

But overall, if you want beaches and reasonable all year round weather, then Perth is where you should head. Melbourne is where you go for food, arts, culture and sport.

Then that's not Melbourne. Melbourne is a long way from a decent surf beach - although some bayside areas try to pass themselves off as beach. As for BBQs, beers - this is a big stereotype. The reality is that Australians tend to work long hours and don't have time for the BBQs and beers. The parks - most parts of Australia will have good weather at some point of the year, but when going outdoors, it's not just rain you worry about, it can also be extreme heat, flies and cold.

Melbourne may heat up to teen temperatures on many winter days, but the mornings and evenings can be very chilly. Even in early summer, the walk to the station can be chilly. And whilst the weather can turn, the weather forecasting is usually pretty spot on (they can even predict what time the rain will come), so you can work around it. Melbourne avoids the cyclones and storms of Queensland and the humidity that can affect much of Australia.

But overall, if you want beaches and reasonable all year round weather, then Perth is where you should head. Melbourne is where you go for food, arts, culture and sport.

I'd agree entirely - we should have gone to Melbourne but everything the OP has said suggests they should go to Perth. What they describe is the Perth lifestyle - read @Paul1Perth post on this thread. Even reading 'beaches, bbqs , beers , parks' makes me shudder in despair at the bordom factor but each to there own, if it's reliable weather and that lifestyle you want then Perth has oodles of it.

Sometimes I get the impression that Melbourne is perceived by potential emigrants as a big city that has the "Sydney wow factor" but the real estate is a bit cheaper, which makes it more affordable and more reasonable choice. Personally, there is not much that appeals to me in Melbourne.

Edited by DianaK

Sometimes I get the impression that Melbourne is perceived by potential emigrants as a big city that has the "Sydney wow factor" but the real estate is a bit cheaper, which makes it more affordable and more reasonable choice. Personally, there is not much that appeals to me in Melbourne.

Sydney has no wow factor for me, whenever I go there I'm disappointed, as well as finding it humid. Apart from the harbour which is great (and free) there's little to interest me. I wouldn't live anywhere in Aus except Victoria. We live in Geelong quite close to the coast which we really like but appreciate that I spend most days in Melbourne. It is a great city.

Weather-wise Melbourne suits me as being quite European: individual seasons, warm summers but not humid or too hot.

Hello Anz

This is my first post on this site since I joined and I was drawn to you post because I am a social worker and my hubby is a refergiration and airconditioning engineer. We were also looking at migrating to Melbourne because we attended a seminar in 2012 and spoke to immigration representative who sold the region of VIctoria to us. I joined the sister site "life in Victoria" to get more information and so far so good. We have employed migration agents as well who have informed us that we will be eligible to apply for 190 Visa based on our points we have at the moment. As the main applicant social workers are being sponsored for 190 visa by Northern Territory, New South Wales and ACT. Which blows our initial plans for Melbourne out of the window.

You will find that your location of interest is often dependant on your points scoring and type of visa you can apply for. At least this is what happening to us. However I have been informed that after 2 years it is possible to move to another region if the entry visa used is the 190. Hope you find this information helpful.

Hello Anz

This is my first post on this site since I joined and I was drawn to you post because I am a social worker and my hubby is a refergiration and airconditioning engineer. We were also looking at migrating to Melbourne because we attended a seminar in 2012 and spoke to immigration representative who sold the region of VIctoria to us. I joined the sister site "life in Victoria" to get more information and so far so good. We have employed migration agents as well who have informed us that we will be eligible to apply for 190 Visa based on our points we have at the moment. As the main applicant social workers are being sponsored for 190 visa by Northern Territory, New South Wales and ACT. Which blows our initial plans for Melbourne out of the window.

You will find that your location of interest is often dependant on your points scoring and type of visa you can apply for. At least this is what happening to us. However I have been informed that after 2 years it is possible to move to another region if the entry visa used is the 190. Hope you find this information helpful.

Hi,

I was thinking it would be me as the main due to me being 5yrs younger than her.

I was planning on going for a 189 visa myself, dunno if I'm keen on being with the sponsor for 2yrs.... Think that's on a 457 not sure on 190.

Like I say it's really early days yet, all we've done so far is contact a migration agent over here, and talked to a few people who have already made the move.

Would ur fella not get in with his points?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Don't come on here that often but felt like I should add my tuppence worth:

How bad is the weather in Melbourne? It is not bad at all. We've been here since January and locals told us it was one of the coolest summers in years and this winter has been confirmed as the coldest in 25 years. It has still been much better than the UK. We came from Portsmouth which is mostly drier and a bit warmer on average than Manchester (think you said that's where you were) so the difference between Manchester and Melbourne will probably be even more noticeable for you. T

The weather is more unpredictable than other parts of Aus but I think the Four-seasons-in-one-day cliché a little over done. You might find that the Saturday that you had earmarked for a day at the beach turns out to be 19c and fairly overcast after several days of 35c and sunny but we found very few of the days in Summer to be a write-off. This winter I've only had to scrape ice off my car once. By UK standards it doesn't get properly cold. The only thing is that rental properties are dreadfully insulated and heated so it can feel colder inside than what you're used to.

As far as beaches go I'm amazed that Melbourne doesn't have a better reputation for its beaches. Sure if you're a surfer (how many on here are?) you'll need to drive to the Ocean beaches (1hr-1hr plus depending on where you're based) but the Phillip bay beaches are brilliant for young kids, much safer than an Ocean beach, and older ones who enjoy swimming, paddle boarding, sailing etc.

There's plenty to think about when choosing where to locate yourself and I'm certainly not saying that other parts of Aus wouldn't be great but don't definitely don't let concerns about weather and beaches put you off Melbourne.

Hi,

I'm also originally from Manchester and have recently moved up to Queensland after a year in Melbourne. Melbourne is a brilliant city with so much to do both in Melbourne itself and in the surrounding areas. I loved my time there, but I have to admit it was the weather that made us want to move. It is considerably better than Manchester, you will certainly spend more time outdoors there, but like so many have said, the whole '4 seasons in one day' thing can be true. It can be pretty unpredictable and there's only a small part of the year that fits that Australian dream that so many of us come out here with. Temperatures in winter get higher than back home, and don't go as low, (I do not miss scraping my car every morning!) but it is still cold in winter, and I mean coats & scarves cold, not just 'put a jumper on' cold!

We are very much beach people, my partner is a keen surfer and we love to spend our weekends by the ocean. Yes you might have to travel a bit if you plan on living in central Brisbane, but the same is true of Melbourne, the nice beaches are at least an hours drive from Melbourne. We live about 30 mins north of Brisbane and we love it because there are beaches 10-15 mins from us, if we want to go a bit further we go up to the Sunshine coast or even down to gold coast or Byron, there are so many options here for the weekends. That said, like others have said, if you will be working outside you'd have to consider the implications of living in a state like Queensland as apparently the summers can get very uncomfortable. I hope you figure out the best option for you, as personally it's the best thing I ever did and I love my lifestyle here and can't wait to raise my family here.

Edited by Alannah