What are your reasons for returning to the UK?

Guest earlswood

Guest melissa
People will get a shock when they get over here when they realise the weather is crap for a lot of the year....Perth has more annual rainfall that London.

Gotcha again, clear this up for me, once and for all. Do you like the rain or not?

I don't mind it myself.

Darren.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest earlswood
Gotcha again, clear this up for me, once and for all. Do you like the rain or not?

I don't mind it myself.

Darren.

I prefer the weather in the UK 100%...let me tell you why.

When it is hot over over here,,,it is bloody hot, to hot to do anything except sit in an air-conditioned room (if you can afford running one) so no run as it is like running into a hair dryer set on hot......when it rains it can rain for months on end, and I mean rain like stair-rods.

I get to run in between this crap weather which is not as much as I would like and certainly not as much as I did in the UK where I had a good run almost every night.

God, we would kill for some rain! Mind you, if it ever comes, people will no doubt be complaining about it in the same way that they now complain about the impact of the drought! It was cold, wet and gale force here the other day and it was fantastic! Rugged up in beanie and fleece with a rainjacket on and splashing in the puddles - bliss!

Edited to say that Victoria is shockingly dry - they are having to take water from the crop growing areas so the Melbournians can flush their loos with the result that rural Victoria is slowly dying - it looks shocking driving down the Hume and across to the West. It is fairly obvious that Australia is not able to sustain its population, waterwise and things are going to get worse before they get better.

Quoll, maybe I should move in next door to you - every time I step outside the front door in the UK a cloud bursts over my head! :biglaugh:

Mrs Tyke xx

Quoll, maybe I should move in next door to you - every time I step outside the front door in the UK a cloud bursts over my head! :biglaugh:

Mrs Tyke xx

You're on! Any assistance most gratefully received:biglaugh:

Guest earlswood
I have to work in that heat as a nurse!

They must have air-con in your hospital:embarrassed:

Guest barab
God, we would kill for some rain! Mind you, if it ever comes, people will no doubt be complaining about it in the same way that they now complain about the impact of the drought! It was cold, wet and gale force here the other day and it was fantastic! Rugged up in beanie and fleece with a rainjacket on and splashing in the puddles - bliss!

Edited to say that Victoria is shockingly dry - they are having to take water from the crop growing areas so the Melbournians can flush their loos with the result that rural Victoria is slowly dying - it looks shocking driving down the Hume and across to the West. It is fairly obvious that Australia is not able to sustain its population, waterwise and things are going to get worse before they get better.

I think your spot on,

The infrastructure over here is shocking,too much bureaucracy and not enough common sense.I work for an Electricity company and they are fighting fire with the amount of new buildings going up at present in Brisbane.The network can't take it,and there is no immediate plan in place.It's crazy,they just don't do things rationally or quickly over here.

Guest JoanneHattersley
They must have air-con in your hospital:embarrassed:

Work in an elderly care retirement village and not all areas have air con!

Guest barab
Work in an elderly care retirement village and not all areas have air con!

So the majority of the time you have Air-con?

If it's anything like the clinic I work in Jo the air con is terrible -either too hot or too cold, they never seem to get it right. At the moment they're conserving energy and can't decide if we're a clinical or non clinical area (although we do see clients here), everyone comes in 3 or 4 layers depending on if they're going to be clinic based or out on visits. .

If it's anything like the clinic I work in Jo the air con is terrible -either too hot or too cold, they never seem to get it right. At the moment they're conserving energy and can't decide if we're a clinical or non clinical area (although we do see clients here), everyone comes in 3 or 4 layers depending on if they're going to be clinic based or out on visits. .

you`re all nesh:twitcy:

Malx

Guest earlswood
Mal I'm not sure what you said?

Ali

It means you like wearing nothing under your skirt Ali.

It's a Northern saying Ali, means you feel the cold

Thanks J

Alii comes from Lancashire I thinkn from the posh bit she dosent comprendi the peasant idiom I am struggling at work apart from the northern pom customers who just have a laugh I have a broad Yorkshire accent and forget when I am conversing

Malx

aka Billy NM

Yes I do feel the cold Mal, I thought I could undertand 'Yorkshire' living on the border - but then I moved to Preston and lost it all!! I'm lucky there's I have a colleague from Lancashire whose been here about 17 years ... but no-one else understands what we're talking about half the time

Ali

Do you know, I just yearn for the sound of British birds; thrush, blackbird the cuckoo etc. Not these bloody screechy things that wake me...with the exception of the magpie, lovely song that and I shall miss it when, hopefully, I get back 'ome.

Guest guest12791
Can't believe it! You have just summed up all my feelings in one post!! We have not 'made the decision' yet, but have pretty much decided we will not be here long term, we are trying to pull out of some land we just signed a contract on..they want a $4,400 cancellation fee!! Don't want to be tied here just now.

Hopeing to go back in July for 3 weeks to see what we think, don't want to make a mistake in going back, it's such a hard decision, the kids faces are a picture when running around barefoot, but then so were they when they saw grandparents and family!

Anyone tell me what to do??!!!!!!:biglaugh:

Hi there, we stayed for four months in brisbane then returned to yorkshire. I wasnt settled in oz and my partner couldnt get work, dont know why because he had vast experience as a mechanical fitter. We struggled with emotions, missing family, freinds etc. On returning to england the feelings havent gone! we are settled in good jobs but the longing to return to brisbane and give it another go is with us all the time. Guess its the feeling of being away from all that is familiar to us, growing up with family around and then suddenly with strangers! once we saw family again we realised that they were alive and well and only a journey away. Even if you go home and see everyone you may want to return and next time you will be prepared for missing everone so much. Good luck, annemarie

Guest earlswood
Hi there, we stayed for four months in brisbane then returned to yorkshire. I wasnt settled in oz and my partner couldnt get work, dont know why because he had vast experience as a mechanical fitter. We struggled with emotions, missing family, freinds etc. On returning to england the feelings havent gone! we are settled in good jobs but the longing to return to brisbane and give it another go is with us all the time. Guess its the feeling of being away from all that is familiar to us, growing up with family around and then suddenly with strangers! once we saw family again we realised that they were alive and well and only a journey away. Even if you go home and see everyone you may want to return and next time you will be prepared for missing everone so much. Good luck, annemarie

There is a couple I know who hated Oz moved back to Manchester instead of say the south coast and returned saying Manchester is a worse dump:unsure: they are now thinking of applying for Canada....some people just always think the grass is greener when it is not.

Guest guest12791
There is a couple I know who hated Oz moved back to Manchester instead of say the south coast and returned saying Manchester is a worse dump:unsure: they are now thinking of applying for Canada....some people just always think the grass is greener when it is not.

Thats so true, the grass isnt always greener, i think life is what you make it. I didnt see the point in being unhappy somewhere and moaning about it. i just got a flight home. Now iam moaning about the price of petrol in england and how the bills and food prices have risen. guess i should stop whinging and get back on a plane and give it another go in brisy, or maybe melbourne, not sure yet!! good luck to you x annemarie

Guest Zagg

Thanks so much to everyone who has written about their experiences on this thread. It's been a fascinating read, and is making me a bit nervous before I emigrate to Melbourne later this year!

I'm surprised how many of you have headed out as part of a family; have planned your trip for months or over a year and then want to head back home after a few months! I hope I don't have the same experience as well...

Guest Working to fish
...some people just always think the grass is greener when it is not.

Sounds to me like you are talking about yourself

eddie :realmad:

now *iss off and leave the browning post,s alone .

cheers

Archived