What are your reasons for returning to the UK?

Guest earlswood

after reading all the posts i dont think anyone is earslwood bashing ,like them im intirgued to know why HE wants to return as its mentioned alot about how unhappy he is here but never serious statements of why(women dont count ,lol).So come on earlswood thats all we wanted to know and now youve told us,lol,

Cal x

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest taffy 62

[quote=

I also cant wait to have seasons ... christmas time when its cold, appreciating the few hot days in summer ...instead of ground hog day brisbane when its sunny and warm or raining and warm :SLEEP:

I totally agree about Brisbane, I dont know why so many people want to come here! Maybe like me, initially it looks so apealling all that lovely sunshine, but it does get a bit boring having no seasons.

I love the cold winters where you can rug up warm and curl up in front of a nice warm fire, the the nice spring days where you get a taste of warm sunshine and the feel of summer is just around the corner, then when your sick of the heat autumn comes and the trees look lovely:cool:

I lived in Victoria for 19 years and say to anyone who is missing the seasons, maybe try there before heading back to the UK. At least you get the four seasons there, which is what your used too, not so much of a cultural shock, even though they are the wrong way round :spinny:

Hopefully I will be back there soon:yes:

Guest earlswood
[quote name=

I also cant wait to have seasons ... christmas time when its cold, appreciating the few hot days in summer ...instead of ground hog day brisbane when its sunny and warm or raining and warm

I totally agree about Brisbane, I dont know why so many people want to come here! Maybe like me, initially it looks so apealling all that lovely sunshine, but it does get a bit boring having no seasons.

I love the cold winters where you can rug up warm and curl up in front of a nice warm fire, the the nice spring days where you get a taste of warm sunshine and the feel of summer is just around the corner, then when your sick of the heat autumn comes and the trees look lovely

I lived in Victoria for 19 years and say to anyone who is missing the seasons, maybe try there before heading back to the UK. At least you get the four seasons there, which is what your used too, not so much of a cultural shock, even though they are the wrong way round :spinny:

Hopefully I will be back there soon:yes:

I agree about the weather, I find it to hot in perth and I am honestly scared like the locals to actually go out in the full sun for more than an half an hour without factor 300 on...and boy when it does rain I actually "love it", If you like the rain you will not be dissapointed as it can rain for weeks on end like stair-rods:wideeyed: I actullay like running in the rain.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Earlswood

I may think differently if I had a family.

I think you have hit the nail squarely on the head as far as Perth is concerned. I think it is one of the best places there is for families with young children. Like you, I have no children and frankly I find Perth pretty stultifying for the sorts of things that interest me. I would never bother to go there at all were it not for my sister and now my mother as well.

Sydney on the other hand is absolutely nothing like Perth. I think it is a miles better option for a singleton in a whole host of ways.

I would suggest that you give Sydney a chance before you make a decision about Australia for you. At the end of the day, Sydney might not tick enough of your own boxes but I am sure it would tick many more of them than Perth does. And if Sydney does not tick enough boxes, you wouldn't lose anything long-term by giving the place a go for a year, I suggest.

A couple of years ago there was an interesting article in a Britih newspaper about a British builder. Apparently he had PR in Oz but actually only spends 6 months of the year there. He has development projects happening in both countries and seems to shuttle between the two regularly. With the slowdown in the UK, he's got a valuable second string to his bow in the shape of his Australian interests, I would think.

For you in the next 4 years in the UK, there must be money to be made on building the Olympic Village ready for 2012? I went past the site on a train 6 months ago - at the minute all that is happening is clearing the ground, but I would guess that they will begin building within 12-18 months. They won't be ready for the electrical fixes for another 30-36 months or so, I reckon, because there were no construction matierials on site as yet.

But when it comes to crunch point with the construction schedule running late, electricians, plumbers etc are going to be naming their own prices for getting the project finished with a week to spare before the visitors start to arrive, I strongly suspect.

If I'm roughly right about the time scale, you've got time to have a look at Sydney on your way home, I reckon!

Cheers

Gill

Hi Earlswood

I think you have hit the nail squarely on the head as far as Perth is concerned. I think it is one of the best places there is for families with young children. Like you, I have no children and frankly I find Perth pretty stultifying for the sorts of things that interest me. I would never bother to go there at all were it not for my sister and now my mother as well.

Sydney on the other hand is absolutely nothing like Perth. I think it is a miles better option for a singleton in a whole host of ways.

I would suggest that you give Sydney a chance before you make a decision about Australia for you. At the end of the day, Sydney might not tick enough of your own boxes but I am sure it would tick many more of them than Perth does. And if Sydney does not tick enough boxes, you wouldn't lose anything long-term by giving the place a go for a year, I suggest.

A couple of years ago there was an interesting article in a Britih newspaper about a British builder. Apparently he had PR in Oz but actually only spends 6 months of the year there. He has development projects happening in both countries and seems to shuttle between the two regularly. With the slowdown in the UK, he's got a valuable second string to his bow in the shape of his Australian interests, I would think.

For you in the next 4 years in the UK, there must be money to be made on building the Olympic Village ready for 2012? I went past the site on a train 6 months ago - at the minute all that is happening is clearing the ground, but I would guess that they will begin building within 12-18 months. They won't be ready for the electrical fixes for another 30-36 months or so, I reckon, because there were no construction matierials on site as yet.

But when it comes to crunch point with the construction schedule running late, electricians, plumbers etc are going to be naming their own prices for getting the project finished with a week to spare before the visitors start to arrive, I strongly suspect.

If I'm roughly right about the time scale, you've got time to have a look at Sydney on your way home, I reckon!

Cheers

Gill

Hi

I think you wil find that the grease will have been ,liberally spread across the sweaty palms of poiticians and councillors. The contracts will have been promised and naming your own price it willprob be in dinars, zlotes or euros

Malx

aka Billy NM

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi

I think you wil find that the grease will have been ,liberally spread across the sweaty palms of poiticians and councillors. The contracts will have been promised and naming your own price it willprob be in dinars, zlotes or euros

Malx

aka Billy NM

Hi Mats

I predict the usual last minute scrum when the contractors fail to deliver on time, regardless of how they came by the contracts in the first place, my friend.

Though I do agree with you that chicanery is probably rife on the project and that the people who do the least to make it happen on time will probably make the most out of it for themselves!

They've already had a Trial Run with the Dome, I recall!

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Aldo

I never felt comfortable with myself for taking my kids away from their uncles/aunts and grand parents and now feel that there is nothing that can compensate for this. I really have a problem understanding how some people move out here leaving their kids, barely out of school, behind.

Guest Aldo

here i am with a proper dose of man flu and it occured to me that if i was still in marbella i would be sat in my high chair in my local bar and without even asking, my favorite barmaid (the lovely Wendy) would bring me over a hot toddy to ease my pain. Imagine that happening here? :no:

viva espaňa

Guest itskaren

I totally agree with everything that you have said. I still find it strange why we cannot put anything negative on PIO without people being offended !!! Just unbelievable. This site is for good and bad. Obviously some people just do not agree.

i think everyone needs to hear the good and bad, but sometimes its hard to here your dreams shattered, some of my fears are the ones read by the negs on here, but i will tread the path........ and hope its different for us ! its a very thin line though , those who love it and those who hate it. best wishes to all who wish to return.

Guest itskaren

Hi Sharon. It is not about 'having your dreams shattered'. I just don't see the point of saying that everything is fantastic when in fact it is not? I do hope it is different for you. i was desperately looking forward to coming here for 2 years, the planning, finding a house, schools, etc,etc, and it is exactly how I feel shattered!'. It is such an anti climax. Hopefully we are a minority. But I am not just going to post positive threads if it is not how I feel. i have been asked for my opinion so I am giving it. good or bad! I really wish you good luck.

I still don't blame Aus for me wanting to come home, in fairness it was me who could not adapt to Australian life. I waited 15 years for my dream to come true. I was ready to come home after 3 months.

Work was the main issue could not earn the money ect ect.

I tryied looking at buying a small buisiness and other ways to make my dream happen. But when I looked at what Aus had to offer, it just could not compare to what I had left behind.

When we decided to come home we sold up then traveled Aus for 2months. What a fantastic country. But in reality of living live day to day I found it extreamly boring.

This Country has too many faults to mention but I love it before and love it even more now.

Maybe when I retire I'd love to live in India as it is the most fasinating cultual place I have ever been. But for now I love Queen and country

John

LONG LIVE BORIS

Guest JoanneHattersley
I still don't blame Aus for me wanting to come home, in fairness it was me who could not adapt to Australian life. I waited 15 years for my dream to come true. I was ready to come home after 3 months.

Work was the main issue could not earn the money ect ect.

I tryied looking at buying a small buisiness and other ways to make my dream happen. But when I looked at what Aus had to offer, it just could not compare to what I had left behind.

When we decided to come home we sold up then traveled Aus for 2months. What a fantastic country. But in reality of living live day to day I found it extreamly boring.

This Country has too many faults to mention but I love it before and love it even more now.

Maybe when I retire I'd love to live in India as it is the most fasinating cultual place I have ever been. But for now I love Queen and country

John

Good honest post John. When you move from your mother land it makes you appreciate what you had. I am one of the lucky ones that can settle anywhere!!!

In response to another poster about negatives on here....we all love to hear both sides but there is a difference between honesty, negativity and just plain whinging!

Guest Elizabeth Lilly

What is "WI"? Not being smart - just haven't a clue what it is. Cheers, Liz

What is "WI"? Not being smart - just haven't a clue what it is. Cheers, Liz

Womens Institute - my mates in UK have been on some really good courses run by them and it seems to still be a thriving institution especially for those of us with a few grey hairs!

Guest Elizabeth Lilly

Hi again Quoll, can you pls tell me a bit more about the Women's Institute? Are the courses they run for people wanting to return to the workforce or similar? What sort of cost is involved? Would they be in different areas of UK? thanks. PS: I don't have any grey hairs - I dye mine! Cheers Liz

Hi again Quoll, can you pls tell me a bit more about the Women's Institute? Are the courses they run for people wanting to return to the workforce or similar? What sort of cost is involved? Would they be in different areas of UK? thanks. PS: I don't have any grey hairs - I dye mine! Cheers Liz

No its a generic organization for women not a return to the workforce type organization. More of a social gathering type exercise really but they apparently have some residential courses and some of my friends have done needlework and cooking courses recently which sounded really interesting.

Have no idea about returning to the workforce type training unfortunately but I would think there would be some courses run by the local authorities. There are a whole load of links here Adult and community learning. : support4learning but it isnt an area that I have had a need to delve into for a while.

LOL my grey hairs are dyed various colours too (red, yellow and orange at the moment I think, but I do fancy a bit of purple in there next time!)

No its a generic organization for women not a return to the workforce type organization. More of a social gathering type exercise really but they apparently have some residential courses and some of my friends have done needlework and cooking courses recently which sounded really interesting.

Have no idea about returning to the workforce type training unfortunately but I would think there would be some courses run by the local authorities. There are a whole load of links here Adult and community learning. : support4learning but it isnt an area that I have had a need to delve into for a while.

LOL my grey hairs are dyed various colours too (red, yellow and orange at the moment I think, but I do fancy a bit of purple in there next time!)

Hi Quoll

I could not figure why you liked the ACT so much?? Now i know its your age!!!!!!!! lots of LOL. :notworthy:

Im really sorry, I do like your posts though (trying to suck up:wubclub:)

Hi Quoll

I could not figure why you liked the ACT so much?? Now i know its your age!!!!!!!! lots of LOL. :notworthy:

Im really sorry, I do like your posts though (trying to suck up:wubclub:)

I didnt say I liked ACT - I would be out of here tomorrow if I could! I cant stand Australia full stop - Canberra is about the best of a bad lot:biglaugh:, I like a place with more zing to it so that I can enjoy my very old age in style and flair and not be stuck with a choice between the bingo and the bowling club:arghh:

Guest moonraker1961

I for one love living in the UK.I live in Wiltshire,beautiful place,very rural,crime rate is low,people are friendly,love being able to jet off somewhere exotic maybe 4 times a year,have a fab job with people I adore (work for the NHS),I grow our own food in our garden,also have an allotment !I was born in this country,moved as a child to Oz where I spent many years,some happy,some not so happy,have aussie kids who absolutely love it in the UK,and can't imagine ever returning to Oz (yes they are grown up kids not little ones!!!).Since I returned to the UK (nearly 10 years ago)this country has been extremely good to me.Other plus's:I can walk through countryside knowing I will not step on any deadly snakes,the summer is just right and I only have to wear sunblock occasionally whereas in Oz we would all have to plaster on,we have an excellent social life,lots of live music to go and watch,have been to many big name gig's on a regular basis,Xmas is nice and cold,the list goes on!Born here and bloody proud of it!!! I have a strong connection with the landscape here (I was born in Wiltshire)and get great joy walking across the countryside knowing my ancestors walked the same steps.Lets celebrate being brits,and focus on the positive's of this country. Most of my family are in Oz (Mum,2 sister's,and 2 bro's).

Womens Institute - my mates in UK have been on some really good courses run by them and it seems to still be a thriving institution especially for those of us with a few grey hairs!

Hello Qaul

Hear in essex there is a vilage called Ugley Near Saffron wadden. They used to have a Womens institute. They had to change the name from the Ugley womens institute to the womens institite of Ugly.

I found this out while having a beer in a local pub, after a few I could not see an ugley women in sight.

Hope all is well John

Hello Qaul

Hear in essex there is a vilage called Ugley Near Saffron wadden. They used to have a Womens institute. They had to change the name from the Ugley womens institute to the womens institite of Ugly.

I found this out while having a beer in a local pub, after a few I could not see an ugley women in sight.

Hope all is well John

LOL One of my best mates at Uni was an Ugley woman! :biglaugh: Have been there many times (and fitted right in!).

Archived