What are your reasons for returning to the UK?

Guest earlswood

Guest Brickie

Sick of seeing mile after mile of over head power lines. Even ex Eastern block countries bury their power lines...

Is that it!!?? :shocked: how shallow, you should never have come here, have a lie down and take a Bex.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sick of seeing mile after mile of over head power lines. Even ex Eastern block countries bury their power lines...

Hello Aldo

It is a big country and would cost alot to bury them. The US & Canada also have over head power lines. But I know what you mean even the silly little things irritate.

John

Is that it!!?? :shocked: how shallow, you should never have come here, have a lie down and take a Bex.

Bricki

You seem to be happy in Oz so be it good for you. As a brick layer Victoria must be the best place in the world to live. But when work and life don't pan out how you would like you can sometimes see little irritating negatives those who are happy don't see. Aldo obviously is not happy And who are you to say he should not have come.

And how do you know he likes Bex (Becks).

Guest Brickie
Bricki

You seem to be happy in Oz so be it good for you. As a brick layer Victoria must be the best place in the world to live. But when work and life don't pan out how you would like you can sometimes see little irritating negatives those who are happy don't see. Aldo obviously is not happy And who are you to say he should not have come.

And how do you know he likes Bex (Becks).

My old man hated Oz, he was a tosser too.

Bex is a head ache powder you take then have a lay down afterwards, its full of opiuts or something.

Also, as much as Aldo is entitled to his opinion, so am I, so back in your box..:cute:

Guest Aldo

oh, and old bricklayers who never turn the mixer off

Guest Brickie
oh, and old bricklayers who never turn the mixer off

:confused:

I have no idea what that means..??

Guest Aldo
Hello Aldo

It is a big country and would cost alot to bury them. The US & Canada also have over head power lines. But I know what you mean even the silly little things irritate.

John

I understand that being a big country you need to carry cables over ground cross country but what i find ugly and what spoils some very nice neighborhoods is the spaghetti that criss-crosses overhead and the telegraph poles. Surly they could bury them at the nearest sub station?

Guest Aldo

Bex is a head ache powder you take then have a lay down afterwards, its full of opiuts or something.

Also, as much as Aldo is entitled to his opinion, so am I, so back in your box..:cute:

Had too many golds?:no:

Hello Aldo

John

Hi John

Have you thought about becoming a mod? Just a thought

Geoffrey

Guest itskaren
Oh dear, FM, have some (((hugs))))

I think people who emigrate here as a couple with both from the same country have quite a different experience from those of us who are in mixed marriages. If there are two of you against the world it is a much more equitable relationship and there is the capacity for mutual support whereas if one of you is "home" with all that entails - extended family, friends, personal history - but the other is effectively isolated without close family, friends or any of their history then it can be incredibly difficult to survive.

Bottom line is that in such situations, one of you has to compromise more than the other one and you have to work out which one is prepared to make that sacrifice (and it could be a huge sacrifice). It really does come down to what is the most important thing in your life - your marriage or your sense of belonging. In the best of all worlds, your OH would realize the pain that you are going through and be prepared to make the move to make you feel better. If not, then you have to work on how you can preserve your marriage without resentment or whether you decide to cut and run. It isnt easy and I dont envy anyone in that situation.

Given the problems with your outlaws, is there any way you can move further away from them? If you are far enough away, then perhaps it can be the two of you against the world and a bit more equity in the relationship. If you can distance yourself, it may be easier to manage all the other stuff and you will be able to see that there is some compromise on your OH's part.

My DH is an Aussie too and he wont go home either - I survive by going home regularly and he knows that he has to support me in that even if it means he has to go and get another job!!!!:mask: I do see the compromise he is making though, he wants to go and live in the bush (like, right out in the bush, not just a bush town:arghh:) but without a flush loo there is no future IMHO so we stay in the city. We arent close to his family either so there isnt that problem.

As for staying "for a better life for the kids" I also have a contrary view to that too - there is nothing inherently "better" about Australia, a kid's life begins with what the parents make of it and that can be just as brilliant in UK as in Aus. There are millions of English kids growing up to be happy, educated and productive human beings despite living in England. Many young Aussies cannot wait to leave once they have finished school/uni and some (like my DS) have decided to stay there because of the better opportunities on offer for him there. A kid is going to be happy if s/he has happy parents.

I'm always happy to chat and I really do sympathise with your situation, it isnt an easy one.

Nice post Quoll.

Guest earlswood

Probably wish he had when he saw you pop out..:yes:

Guest Brickie
Probably wish he had when he saw you pop out..:yes:

What? Personal attacks? Great.:no:

I came here to help any other brickie who wants to try their hand in Oz, not for this..I feel sorry for you..

My ol man went to his grave with a hatred of all things Oz, Ive never been able to figure out for the life of me why anyone would carry a grudge for all them years for something that did or didnt happen to them?

Guest Jaynie

Why all the personal attacks between you guys, this started out as quite a reasonable thread, why not join the Chicken Clickers group, we all love each other in there.

Make friends:wubclub::wubclub:

Why all the personal attacks between you guys, this started out as quite a reasonable thread, why not join the Chicken Clickers group, we all love each other in there.

Make friends

Im with you Jaynie

tn_ROOSTER_LOVE.jpg

Nothing like a bit of love to make the world go round

Geoffrey

Guest ash911

Hi All

I have been having a really good read through all of your opinions on why you feel like you should move back to England and i really sympathise with you all! I guess i can put a different spin on things. My husband and i moved out to Sydney in 2005 and really got into the lifestyle, however we always missed family. Overtime i started to miss the little things about England, the shopping, supermarkets, TV, seasons in weather - all small things really but they soon mount up! We then found out unexpectedly that i was having a baby and i simply couldnt even think about starting a family without my parents being around to support me and see my baby come into the world. So we moved back to the UK. At first i was so happy to be back and loved having all my family and friends around me. But as time goes on you realise that Australia does have a lot to offer - i cant even tell you how many weekends i have sat in my house with no where to go and it just wont stop raining!! You also see everyone else just getting on with their lives and you realise that actually the people you left behind - their lives never changed! Sure they are happy to have you back but they all have their own lives and as much as they tell you otherwsie they will do whatever is right for them - regardless of what is happening in your life!!!

My husband has recently been offered a job in Melbourne so we are heading back to Oz in September (maybe i wont miss the seasons as much in Vic). Im not here to say "dont go back to England" just that we are a classic case of the grass is always greener. We really thought that we would settle right back into English life - but its just not for us! We love our family and they are and always will be the most important thing to us, i dont think that changes where ever you are in the world. I have come to the conclusion that once you have experienced Oz life that there will be elements that you miss if you leave and elements you hate if you stay - life in England has not been a bed of roses for us, but i dont regret coming back. Coming back has only made me more certain of where i want to raise my family and live my life. My thoughts go out to anyone who is torn about going home - i know too well how that feels, but i really believe that no matter what ,you will always be torn, you have after all seen both sides of the coin and each side has different things to offer. Australia and England are so similar but so different at the same time - thats what makes it so hard to choose!

Its July in Manchester and pouring down!! But weather isnt everything.

Good luck to you all x

Hi All

I have been having a really good read through all of your opinions on why you feel like you should move back to England and i really sympathise with you all! I guess i can put a different spin on things. My husband and i moved out to Sydney in 2005 and really got into the lifestyle, however we always missed family. Overtime i started to miss the little things about England, the shopping, supermarkets, TV, seasons in weather - all small things really but they soon mount up! We then found out unexpectedly that i was having a baby and i simply couldnt even think about starting a family without my parents being around to support me and see my baby come into the world. So we moved back to the UK. At first i was so happy to be back and loved having all my family and friends around me. But as time goes on you realise that Australia does have a lot to offer - i cant even tell you how many weekends i have sat in my house with no where to go and it just wont stop raining!! You also see everyone else just getting on with their lives and you realise that actually the people you left behind - their lives never changed! Sure they are happy to have you back but they all have their own lives and as much as they tell you otherwsie they will do whatever is right for them - regardless of what is happening in your life!!!

My husband has recently been offered a job in Melbourne so we are heading back to Oz in September (maybe i wont miss the seasons as much in Vic). Im not here to say "dont go back to England" just that we are a classic case of the grass is always greener. We really thought that we would settle right back into English life - but its just not for us! We love our family and they are and always will be the most important thing to us, i dont think that changes where ever you are in the world. I have come to the conclusion that once you have experienced Oz life that there will be elements that you miss if you leave and elements you hate if you stay - life in England has not been a bed of roses for us, but i dont regret coming back. Coming back has only made me more certain of where i want to raise my family and live my life. My thoughts go out to anyone who is torn about going home - i know too well how that feels, but i really believe that no matter what ,you will always be torn, you have after all seen both sides of the coin and each side has different things to offer. Australia and England are so similar but so different at the same time - thats what makes it so hard to choose!

Its July in Manchester and pouring down!! But weather isnt everything.

Good luck to you all x

Its July in Prth and its really pouring down

but it is Winter

boing boing

Malx

Guest earlswood
Its July in Prth and its really pouring down

but it is Winter

boing boing

Malx

People will get a shock when they get over here when they realise the weather is crap for a lot of the year....Perth has more annual rainfall that London.

Guest moonraker1961

Thats weird you should say that because I always figured it rained more in Adelaide than here (I'm in the UK)

God, we would kill for some rain! Mind you, if it ever comes, people will no doubt be complaining about it in the same way that they now complain about the impact of the drought! It was cold, wet and gale force here the other day and it was fantastic! Rugged up in beanie and fleece with a rainjacket on and splashing in the puddles - bliss!

Edited to say that Victoria is shockingly dry - they are having to take water from the crop growing areas so the Melbournians can flush their loos with the result that rural Victoria is slowly dying - it looks shocking driving down the Hume and across to the West. It is fairly obvious that Australia is not able to sustain its population, waterwise and things are going to get worse before they get better.

Archived