What are your reasons for returning to the UK?

Guest earlswood

Guest kdal

HI Quoll, Just to let you know that the WI is still going strong here in our Village! Thought it was world wide, obviously not!

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Elizabeth Lilly

Hi Moonraker - what a start to the day reading your comments. Love it Love it Love it!!!!! More please. Cheers Liz

HI Quoll, Just to let you know that the WI is still going strong here in our Village! Thought it was world wide, obviously not!

We have the CWA (Country Womens Association) but that is more rural than urban and confined these days to the blue rinse jam and sponge makers from what I gather. Not quite my scene:twitcy: I thought the WI would be for the more ahem venerable amongst us but on one of my stitching boards, a number of them belong and they are not all old and grey retirees by any means.

Guest surburberella

My main reasons for wanting to go back to London from Melbourne:

1) I personally find London & the UK in general far more vibrant & full of life, people, action & excitement. Even our Aussie mates have said it never really gets really buzzy anywhere apart from in the city or Chapel Street.

2) Hooking up with friends at a moment's notice without having to drive 20km between boring 'burbs to reach them.

3) Atmosphere-I don't know whether it's the lack of history but there is no sense of 'magic' here. Sorrento is a picture perfect little village at the end of the Mornington Peninsula & I can see its charms but for me it just doesn't compare to the old, rustic realness of Fowey or St Ives in Cornwall.

4) The hideous barren landscape of a Victorian Summer. Stood aside the Nepean highway on patch of dead "grass" in sizzling 40 degree heat with trains clanging by and hoons whizzing past in their ute's makes me want to throw myself in front of them.

5) Nothing newsworthy happens here! Log onto The Age newspaper online and...YAWN whereas log onto any of the UK papers and there's lots going on. Not all (or even much) of it is good news I grant you but at least SOMETHING is happening.

6) A strange ever present, panicked feeling of "is this all there is?"

7) Just trusting my instincts which are telling me that I don't belong & to go home now before it's too late! I have felt like this since the day we arrived 5 months back.

My main reasons for wanting to go back to London from Melbourne:

1) I personally find London & the UK in general far more vibrant & full of life, people, action & excitement. Even our Aussie mates have said it never really gets really buzzy anywhere apart from in the city or Chapel Street.

2) Hooking up with friends at a moment's notice without having to drive 20km between boring 'burbs to reach them.

3) Atmosphere-I don't know whether it's the lack of history but there is no sense of 'magic' here. Sorrento is a picture perfect little village at the end of the Mornington Peninsula & I can see its charms but for me it just doesn't compare to the old, rustic realness of Fowey or St Ives in Cornwall.

4) The hideous barren landscape of a Victorian Summer. Stood aside the Nepean highway on patch of dead "grass" in sizzling 40 degree heat with trains clanging by and hoons whizzing past in their ute's makes me want to throw myself in front of them.

5) Nothing newsworthy happens here! Log onto The Age newspaper online and...YAWN whereas log onto any of the UK papers and there's lots going on. Not all (or even much) of it is good news I grant you but at least SOMETHING is happening.

6) A strange ever present, panicked feeling of "is this all there is?"

7) Just trusting my instincts which are telling me that I don't belong & to go home now before it's too late! I have felt like this since the day we arrived 5 months back.

Great post!:yes:

Guest guest12791

take it from me! i stayed four months in brisbane and felt so out of place then when i returned to britain quickly realised that i missed and loved the empty parks! walked miles around the creeks in carindale, and the sunshine was great instead of the cold. Guess it is what you make it and suppose its not for everyone. I am in a dilema because both my daughters will return to brisbane after university in leeds. I want to go back because my family will be there eventually not in england. Also i miss southbank on a friday, loved the markets and bars!!! shop a little drink a little!!!

Annemarie

Guest helenmaguire

Hi,

We have not moved out yet and personally I found your post really useful regarding warnings as to why it might not work out - forewarned is forearmed as they say.

In that respect it might help for you to be aware of the following -

the average mortgage rate in the Uk is now 7.5% and rising (my husband works at a senior banking level and has been predicting 10% by 2010 for over 3 years now).

Annual fees for credit cards are being introduced now in the UK and will be commonplace by next year.

AtM and bank account charges likewise.

However, it would be a great help for us to know more about charges for prescriptions/dentist bills etc - can you tell us more?

Also about the lifestyle (are the parks really deserted during the week - what do the kids do?) and the supermarkets?

As i say forewarned is forearmed so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Incidentally, we are from Glasgow - height of summer here as you know - 12 C today and been pouring rain all week lol - so far today i have worn a t-shirt, changed to a jumper and had to walk the dog with an umbrella - we get the seasons all right and we get them all every day.

Hi,

We have not moved out yet and personally I found your post really useful regarding warnings as to why it might not work out - forewarned is forearmed as they say.

the average mortgage rate in the Uk is now 7.5% and rising (my husband works at a senior banking level and has been predicting 10% by 2010 for over 3 years now).

Annual fees for credit cards are being introduced now in the UK and will be commonplace by next year.

However, it would be a great help for us to know more about charges for prescriptions/dentist bills etc - can you tell us more?

Also about the lifestyle (are the parks really deserted during the week - what do the kids do?) and the supermarkets?

Incidentally, we are from Glasgow - height of summer here as you know - 12 C today and been pouring rain all week lol - so far today i have worn a t-shirt, changed to a jumper and had to walk the dog with an umbrella - we get the seasons all right and we get them all every day.

Credit cards - most have an annual fee here and you can be charged a fee for taking money out of a competitor's atm although that is getting a bit better.

Mortgage rates around the 9% at the moment and the banks are looking like they will be going up - they are fixing in over 8% for term deposits at the moment which looks like they think rates will be going up rather than down. So the UK is looking like it is a bit of a better bet on those terms at the mo'

Prescriptions on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme max $31 each although you can sometimes get generic medicines which are cheaper. If they are not on the PBS then you pay market price for them which can be major $$$$. Dentists charge like wounded bulls (some of them do!!!) Ball park is a couple of hundred for a check, scale and clean. Orthodontics - braces ball park c $5000. Private insurance will cover some of those costs but there is still usually a significant gap. Private medical insurance about $240 a month for a family top cover with excess.

Parks - yup, better patronized at the weekends. Kids are at school and when they arent at school in my observation they dont play outside nearly as much as you would think they would. After working 25 years in schools and trying to encourage parents to get their kids out and playing - the Nintendo, Wii, Playstation or whatever is flavour of the month tend to be the major interest of young Aussies. Kids do play more organized sport and parents seem to think that if they are on a team then they are getting their exercise. You rarely see dads out playing cricket or basketball in the garden with their kids and I even see fewer kids these days with a basketball hoop in their back yard than I used to even 10 years ago.

Melbourne is the home of 4 seasons in one day:biglaugh: for most of the rest of Aus, summers are hot - Canberra is generally pretty good as we dont get the HOT HOT for weeks on end but after a few days of it you do tend to lurch from one air conditioned environment to another in search of relief.

Supermarkets - very ordinary but, yes, we have them.:biglaugh:

Hi,

Hi Helen your right Forearmed forewarned ...great attitude.

I think quoll has answered all your questions and I dont want to duplicate :SLEEP: but what I would say is that during the day most kids seem to be in shopping malls... they normally have kids play areas in them....free mind you...and this is where the young mums seem to meet...the idea of a healthier outdoor life style is a bit of a mythe to be honest ....50% of australians are overweight and that is a fact....I too can not believe the parks are aren;t used to there full advantage but I am not exaggerating...sad really.

Hope your move goes smoothly...be prepared for the language barrier...I was at a party with a rusian woman and the Aussies understood her and not me :biglaugh: .Cant wait for the freezing cold scottish christmas ..bring on George Square thats what I say X

Hi Helen your right Forearmed forewarned ...great attitude.

I think quoll has answered all your questions and I dont want to duplicate :SLEEP: but what I would say is that during the day most kids seem to be in shopping malls... they normally have kids play areas in them....free mind you...and this is where the young mums seem to meet...the idea of a healthier outdoor life style is a bit of a mythe to be honest ....50% of australians are overweight and that is a fact....I too can not believe the parks are aren;t used to there full advantage but I am not exaggerating...sad really.

Hope your move goes smoothly...be prepared for the language barrier...I was at a party with a rusian woman and the Aussies understood her and not me :biglaugh: .Cant wait for the freezing cold scottish christmas ..bring on George Square thats what I say X

Its like anywhere when you have it you dont want it! why go out when its a nice day? there will be another one tomorrow! in the UK you make the most of it. as you dont know when the next one will come!

Thats my take on it anyway.

Its like anywhere when you have it you dont want it! why go out when its a nice day? there will be another one tomorrow! in the UK you make the most of it. as you dont know when the next one will come!

Thats my take on it anyway.

Could be true ...I also tink due to the high risk of skin cancer people dont want there kids outside for too long so it is safer and easier for them to play inside. I have to say though thats its nice to take my little one to a park with no vandalism.

Could be true ...I also tink due to the high risk of skin cancer people dont want there kids outside for too long so it is safer and easier for them to play inside. I have to say though thats its nice to take my little one to a park with no vandalism.

Hi Joetrac

even though you want to go home you have a soft spot for Australia. Its always nice to see the good and bad in the place. And the fact you point it out is great.

I know i dont know you or read many of your posts (had a ding dong or two though) I think you may miss the place a little more than you think (its got under your skin) and we may see you back one day!?!

Take care

Geoffrey

From reading these posts, it seems that Australia is not for everyone. We are still in the process of obtaining our visa, and have never even visited Australia.

We are going over very open minded. In a sense I think that coming from Canada will be an advantage for us. We are used to a large country with huge distances between places (it is not unusual here for people to drive 1 to 2 hours each way just to get to work). We get charged for banking over here big time ($1.50 extra charge everytime you use an ATM that is not your banks, $25.00 monthly banking fee just to have a bank account). We do not have prescriptions covered or dental. Unless you are very lucky to have private health coverage through your employer, a visit to the dentist in Canada will run you over $150.00 just for a cleaning. Canada is very heavily taxed, also we have to pay PST and GST on almost all goods (the price you see on items is not the price you pay you have to add an aditional 13% on top).

I love Canada, and think of it has my home, have lived here over 27 years (originally from the UK). Our reasons for moving to Australia are simple. Looking forward to better weather (winters are a killer in Canada), a better lifestyle for my kids, and better employment opportunities for my OH (works in construction in Canada, and can only work 8 months out of the year due to the weather).

I know that Australia will not be better than Canada, and we are not looking for that. It will be very similiar to Canada just different weather.

I know for a fact that emigrating to another country is hard, and the first couple of years are usually the worst. You miss family and friends, you miss the old culture. People who have only lived in one country for their entire lives have no idea of the emotions you go through. I can sympathize with people wanting to move back to the UK. When I first came to Canada I hated it. I missed my family in the UK and my friends. I was the first in the family to get my Canadian Citizenship (only reason I got it was so that I could move back to the UK and have something to fall back on). Well I guess 27 years later I am still here.

Good luck to all of those who have decided that Australia is not for them. A huge move like this is not for everyone, and each of us are individuals and what is right for one person is not always right for another.

I am looking forward to moving to Australia. Won't know what it is like until I try it. Who know's maybe I will be one of those posting on here about moving back to Canada, you never know. But we are only here once, so I think we will give it a shot. Life is too short, and I don't want to look back in 15 years and say we should have done it, I would rather have tried and failed than never try at all.

Karen

One of my best friend's lived in Canada too and like you she loved it but her oh is a plumber and had to work outside, she was ok an accountant inside. So they moved to Australia and they because of the weather nothing else. I have known them for about twenty years so they have survived in Australia. They are originally from Leeds and Wales.

:smile:

Guest funkymonkey

I reluctantly moved to Perth with my hubbie (he is australian) three and a half years ago now, i have not settled here even though he has a good job and i can stay at home with our two boys (born here), we have a resonable standard of living etc etc. But i miss home, my parents, sister, brother and nephew as well as friends. I miss walking to a local pub, live sport on t.v (not delayed), the sense of humour and the things to do back home. I struggle with the heat here and find the houses so cold in the winter, can't believe we have to burn wood to stay warm!:arghh:

My husband doesn't want to go back to England even though we lived there together for 5 years and he had a ball! I have the guilts about denying my children the space and freedom here in Australia and everbody tells you "its such a good place for kids to grow up!!"

My husbands parents live near us and they hate me and have made my life here pretty tough, they treat him quite badly and don't appear to care too much about our children. My family love my husband and would be so happy if we moved back.

I am so close to pulling the pin here, i feel lonely, isolated and unsettled but worry about going back home and regretting it

Keep wondering if things will get better here or if after this long its not really going to change much...my hubbie works in agriculture so job prospects back home are limited for him, its all such a mess...HELP:nah:

Guest itskaren
I reluctantly moved to Perth with my hubbie (he is australian) three and a half years ago now, i have not settled here even though he has a good job and i can stay at home with our two boys (born here), we have a resonable standard of living etc etc. But i miss home, my parents, sister, brother and nephew as well as friends. I miss walking to a local pub, live sport on t.v (not delayed), the sense of humour and the things to do back home. I struggle with the heat here and find the houses so cold in the winter, can't believe we have to burn wood to stay warm!:arghh:

My husband doesn't want to go back to England even though we lived there together for 5 years and he had a ball! I have the guilts about denying my children the space and freedom here in Australia and everbody tells you "its such a good place for kids to grow up!!"

My husbands parents live near us and they hate me and have made my life here pretty tough, they treat him quite badly and don't appear to care too much about our children. My family love my husband and would be so happy if we moved back.

I am so close to pulling the pin here, i feel lonely, isolated and unsettled but worry about going back home and regretting it

Keep wondering if things will get better here or if after this long its not really going to change much...my hubbie works in agriculture so job prospects back home are limited for him, its all such a mess...HELP:nah:

I really wish I could come and have a coffee with you! Nothing is worse than feeling lonely and isolated. I truely wish things work out for you. karen x

Guest moonraker1961

Hi there,my heart goes out to you,it really does.I have moved (reluctantly)alot since being in the UK (husband was a relief farmer so we went everywhere!!!)I think though at the end of the day it does'nt matter what people say to you,you have to be happy within yourself don't you?You can't just wave a magic wand and suddenly feel settled right?I don't have the answers (I'm in tumoil myself and caught between two countries)and know its not easy.You're not alone,lots of people out there feeling the same way!Perhaps Quoll(fellow pio threader)might be able to share her good wisdom?Quoll if you're out there?(she's a very nice lady hehe)Take care and keep in touch with us all ok?xxxxxx

I reluctantly moved to Perth with my hubbie (he is australian) three and a half years ago now, i have not settled here even though he has a good job and i can stay at home with our two boys (born here), we have a resonable standard of living etc etc. But i miss home, my parents, sister, brother and nephew as well as friends. I miss walking to a local pub, live sport on t.v (not delayed), the sense of humour and the things to do back home. I struggle with the heat here and find the houses so cold in the winter, can't believe we have to burn wood to stay warm!

Keep wondering if things will get better here or if after this long its not really going to change much...my hubbie works in agriculture so job prospects back home are limited for him, its all such a mess...HELP

Oh dear, FM, have some (((hugs))))

I think people who emigrate here as a couple with both from the same country have quite a different experience from those of us who are in mixed marriages. If there are two of you against the world it is a much more equitable relationship and there is the capacity for mutual support whereas if one of you is "home" with all that entails - extended family, friends, personal history - but the other is effectively isolated without close family, friends or any of their history then it can be incredibly difficult to survive.

Bottom line is that in such situations, one of you has to compromise more than the other one and you have to work out which one is prepared to make that sacrifice (and it could be a huge sacrifice). It really does come down to what is the most important thing in your life - your marriage or your sense of belonging. In the best of all worlds, your OH would realize the pain that you are going through and be prepared to make the move to make you feel better. If not, then you have to work on how you can preserve your marriage without resentment or whether you decide to cut and run. It isnt easy and I dont envy anyone in that situation.

Given the problems with your outlaws, is there any way you can move further away from them? If you are far enough away, then perhaps it can be the two of you against the world and a bit more equity in the relationship. If you can distance yourself, it may be easier to manage all the other stuff and you will be able to see that there is some compromise on your OH's part.

My DH is an Aussie too and he wont go home either - I survive by going home regularly and he knows that he has to support me in that even if it means he has to go and get another job!!!!:mask: I do see the compromise he is making though, he wants to go and live in the bush (like, right out in the bush, not just a bush town:arghh:) but without a flush loo there is no future IMHO so we stay in the city. We arent close to his family either so there isnt that problem.

As for staying "for a better life for the kids" I also have a contrary view to that too - there is nothing inherently "better" about Australia, a kid's life begins with what the parents make of it and that can be just as brilliant in UK as in Aus. There are millions of English kids growing up to be happy, educated and productive human beings despite living in England. Many young Aussies cannot wait to leave once they have finished school/uni and some (like my DS) have decided to stay there because of the better opportunities on offer for him there. A kid is going to be happy if s/he has happy parents.

I'm always happy to chat and I really do sympathise with your situation, it isnt an easy one.

Guest moonraker1961

Would also like to just add that my aussie kids left Oz with me aged 9 & 11 yrs.Their lives did'nt change that much.We still did outdoor type activities,walks,picnics,visited places ect.I guess you have to remember its no fun either in Oz when its 35+ (We've also experienced 45+)and you are then stuck inside with an airconditoner beating away day and night.My kids can remember Oz very very well and they both love living in UK..I guess the only thing the kids did'nt have here was a hosepipe and sprinkler to play under lol (Can kids still do that in Oz with the water restrictions?).Anyway I agree totally with Quoll,and wish you heaps of luck and hope you can reach a compromise.xx

Guest pudley

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

Although you cant say anything without been a whinging pom...I love Australia live in the blue mountains. I have two children aged 11 and 9 and cannot move back to UK as father wont let me but I ache every day .....its like you say its just where you prefer. The one thing I miss more than anything is a christmas thats cold and has atmosphere !! GOOD LUCK .... Very Jealous!:mask:

Guest funkymonkey

Thanks so much everyone, especially Quoll for the lovely words and good advice. I think deep down my mind is made up to go home, when ever i go through the whole thought process of returning or staying i come to the same answer.

We could move further from my outlaws but my MIL would still try to cause trouble and i think i would still be very homesick.

I too miss Christmas, wimbledon (used to queue up every year) and frosty bright winter mornings...even the drama of getting stuck in snow on the one day of the year it snows now!!:yes:

I find Australia a great country to holiday in but i feel it has no soul, depth or sense of identity (will probably get slaughtered for saying that). Watching us poms get behind our teams (except football maybe) and being able to accept we are pretty useless when it comes to the world stage and still laugh and cry about it, makes me so proud.

I agree that kids will grow up and flourish where their parents are happy and plenty of aussie kids hang around shopping centres smoking and bunking off school and end up on drugs!! Look at the hoon culture here!

Doesn't it do your head in how arrogant some aussies are about how wonderful they think the place is?

Anyway, i think we will go back early next year and settle my troubled soul.:daydreaming:

Archived