recession - heard a few regrets

loobyloo85

Read what data?!

I read the newspapers daily and watch the evening news (in Sydney) and not heard of this recession before?! I heard of a downturn in mining; but not heard the word recession mentioned.

I first arrived in Australia in the middle of a bad recession back in 1990. But I never had any problems finding work. It was still in abundance, despite everyone moaning about the recession.

But then again, I was prepared to abandon my career temporarily, and turn my hand to any kind of work. It was fine. It was fun. It was stressful sometimes. But it was an experience. And adding new skills like this; was a bonus for the old resume.

Recession or not, you can usually still find work if you are prepared to do anything ..........(with reason of course - drug running excluded!!)

Plus of course in a recession houses are cheaper to buy and places are cheaper to rent.

There are positives to be found in every negative - you may have to look harder for them - but they are there and can be used to your advantage.

I was here in 1990, and I did not even know there was a recession on then! And now, well, I don't know either. The construction industry seems to be booming judging by the number of cranes and tower blocks going up all over the city. The Sydney Morning Herald may have dampened its gloating over the continuing rise in house prices after a slight drop in the percentage of auction sales.

Walking around my suburb - Surry Hills - I see adverts for staff in shops, bars and restaurants.

As far as picking the 'right' time to emigrate to Australia, well, I don't think that is possible, any more than picking the 'right' time to invest in the stock market.

Of course, things could be different in WA.

I was watching a doco about Roosevelt, and someone said, talking about the Great Depression, 'Imagine you are one of 100,000 at a football game, and as you leave, everyone of you is given a letter telling you that you have lost your job. Now imagine that, every week, for three years, 100,000 people are given those letters, and you might start to get an idea of what it was like.'

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's been talk of a recession (from the usual suspects) on this forum for at least 6yrs that I know of and I'm still waiting for it. They may well be correct as that is all part of the capitalist cycle and within a capitalist economy, then it's swings and roundabouts and the doom mongers will get it right sooner or later.

What I do find strange currently though, is that I've seen a certain advertiser on this forum predicting an Australian recession for this year, and yet we're 8 months into this year? What calamity can strike in the next 4 months to bring about a national recession? What's even stranger is that another advertiser is recommending buying mining stocks now whilst they're low as there's going to be a boom (their words), early next year due to an uprising economy elsewhere, requiring Australian raw materials? Likewise, what amazing growth predicted elsewhere (in the next 4 months) [and you have to subscribe to find which country is being mooted] will bring about this "boom"?

Say something regarding booms and recessions often enough because it's bound to happen as long as there's capitalism.

A technical recession is only defined in retrospect, so we could be in recession now but not know it until quarterly or monthly data has been compiled. Here is the data Paul was referring to, which shows WA went into a recession in June, but it had recorded negative growth for 6 months at that point so you could say it had already entered it:

http://www.afr.com/news/politics/gdp-wa-goes-backwards-qld-struggles-20150603-ghflh1

FWIW I don't think Australia will go into a recession as long as the housing bubble persists and China keeps pretending it has 7% growth. There's a few years to go yet before this incredible run of growth finishes.

Wages going down too. I know lads who work for the best electrical company in Perth, just taken a $6 an hour pay cut.. Take it or leave it.. Construction industry is always the last in and the last out of a recession

From what rate to what thought Paul? My sons a sparkie too and had just switched companies, he's still on a good rate. If the $6 cut means they are still on about $50 an hour, they don't have rent or food to pay for while they're away, gyms, swimming pools provided, nothing to spend the money on, they should still be doing OK.

From what rate to what thought Paul? My sons a sparkie too and had just switched companies, he's still on a good rate. If the $6 cut means they are still on about $50 an hour, they don't have rent or food to pay for while they're away, gyms, swimming pools provided, nothing to spend the money on, they should still be doing OK.

Down to $38 an hour

Read what data?!

I read the newspapers daily and watch the evening news (in Sydney) and not heard of this recession before?! I heard of a downturn in mining; but not heard the word recession mentioned.

I first arrived in Australia in the middle of a bad recession back in 1990. But I never had any problems finding work. It was still in abundance, despite everyone moaning about the recession.

But then again, I was prepared to abandon my career temporarily, and turn my hand to any kind of work. It was fine. It was fun. It was stressful sometimes. But it was an experience. And adding new skills like this; was a bonus for the old resume.

Recession or not, you can usually still find work if you are prepared to do anything ..........(with reason of course - drug running excluded!!)

Plus of course in a recession houses are cheaper to buy and places are cheaper to rent.

There are positives to be found in every negative - you may have to look harder for them - but they are there and can be used to your advantage.

I was here looking for work in the nineties recession and i was willing to do anything including cleaning toilets!! After a year and a half of no work we legged it to the UK. So your theory of being able to find work if prepared to do anyting didn't pan out for us. It almost destroyed us!!

I was here looking for work in the nineties recession and i was willing to do anything including cleaning toilets!! After a year and a half of no work we legged it to the UK. So your theory of being able to find work if prepared to do anyting didn't pan out for us. It almost destroyed us!!

Yes mate, that is the thing people who have a job always say.

I have an awful feeling WHEN the housing bubble bursts and jobs become harder to get. Which it will some people are going to be in awful trouble.

Read what data?!

In the last financial year, I worked for only a few months. My total income was $22k. I applied for so many jobs, that my applications filled half a dozen USB sticks.

These included:

Hungary Jacks

Chicken Treat

Dominos Pizza

Coles

Woolworths

And any and every job that I even might have a half chance of getting.

I wondered around suburbs asking builders if they needed a labourer.

I went round industrial areas armed with a bundle of CV's and knocked on doors.

I ran an ad in the local papers looking for work.

You name it, I did it to try and find work.

In all that time, I had 1 interview - which I didn't get because they were scared I would leave if I could find something better.

I would have cleaned toilets with my toothbrush for minimum wage. But nil, Nada. Zero. The only work I did get was the odd week here and there from a consultancy who I have known for a long time.

Yes, I hate comments like the one you quoted. It is only people whose lives have never been blighted by unemployment that come out with such insulting, arrogant drivel.

Read what data?!

Commercial media rather loathe to print negative stories with the reason being it further undermines the economy. Dig deeper. As mentioned already WA has recorded its second consecutive quarter of negative growth, which in turn meets one definition of a technical recession.

Not forgetting the QLD Treasurer Pitt admitting to QLD's even worse downturn. WA is still shipping the ore out in massive tonnage. A satellite search conveys the still high number of bulk carriers plying the north west sea lanes to Port Hedland and Dampier but at grossly reduced earnings.

In the last financial year, I worked for only a few months. My total income was $22k. I applied for so many jobs, that my applications filled half a dozen USB sticks.

These included:

Hungary Jacks

Chicken Treat

Dominos Pizza

Coles

Woolworths

In all that time, I had 1 interview - which I didn't get because they were scared I would leave if I could find something better.

h

I would have cleaned toilets with my toothbrush for minimum wage. But nil, Nada. Zero. The only work I did get was the odd week here and there from a consultancy who I have known for a long time.

I'm sorry to hear of your trouble getting work. It's getting tough out there. My son is a recent uni grad and he applied for loads of grad positions in the run up to getting his final results. He tells me there was a huge number of applicants for most positions. He's been lucky and secured a position but many of his uni class mates have not been so lucky. Many are having trouble just getting any job at all. The job market is tightening despite what many think. Hope things have improved for you.

Indeed. I recall the queue of unemployed in a line outside the CES office as they were called at the time in Fremantle while here on a holiday. I'd think very seriously with regards to the actually benefits, rather than perceived of uprooting and coming to WA at this time.

Without contacts or a network of some sort finding a job can be soul destroying.

These included:

Hungary Jacks

Chicken Treat

Dominos Pizza

Coles

Woolworths

This is what people miss - the problem of being over-qualified. If the jobs you're qualified for disappears, it's difficult to get employers to take applications for lesser jobs seriously. They assume you'll leave the minute the economy recovers and your type of job is available again. They're right of course - however, what they miss is that even so, you are quite likely to stay in the job just as long as a young school leaver who is itching to move up the job ladder.

Read what data?!

hey I'm a children's nurse so hoping il be able to secure work in the new children's hospital as most of my experience is in the children's emergency department in th UK. My hubby is a jack of all trades got experience as a landscape gardener, ground worker, labourer, has tickets for dumper, telehandler, bobcat, forklift and digger. When we were previously in free he had a job as a gravedigger (bit grim I know but someone has to do it) hoping he will find something that he likes, he's flexible and a hard worker never having a sick day in the 14 years we've been together. Just needs permanent work to be eligible for a mortgage as font want to rent for years and years. Everything happens for a reason so we will keep saving and saving then hopefully like people have said we will have a bit of a buffer.

Thanks for your opinions. We are only at the very beginning of applying for visas so have a long road ahead of us, I have to do IELTs and anmac skills and various other things first so we are probably looking at 12-18 months so hopefully will have a better picture nearer the time. We have no family but a few friends there already. I think this website will be invaluable to us.

Thanks for your opinions. We are only at the very beginning of applying for visas so have a long road ahead of us, I have to do IELTs and anmac skills and various other things first so we are probably looking at 12-18 months so hopefully will have a better picture nearer the time. We have no family but a few friends there already. I think this website will be invaluable to us.

You said you're a nurse do you have a degree?

You said you're a nurse do you have a degree?

Im currently finishing the degree top up as I had the advanced diploma. Will have 5-6 years experience when we come over. Was going to start the process a year ago but the changed the specs to register with APHRA. Plus wanted pr visa not 457

Oh that's good i wasn't sure if you were aware of the changes. I'm sure as you're a nurse getting work shouldn't be a problem. Good luck.

Oh that's good i wasn't sure if you were aware of the changes. I'm sure as you're a nurse getting work shouldn't be a problem. Good luck.

Hoping that's the case will keep my fingers crossed. Got a lovely migration agent who is helping us who was prev a nurse and knows so much about the process.

Archived