Main reason people move back. And do they regret coming / leaving

CowlingAFC

Im sure you've been told this lots of times but theres big difference between going somewhere on holiday and actually living there. I would say if you tried it once and it wasn't to her taste it probably wont be again

It's a bit more complicated than that. My wife is bloody minded. Stubborn as a mule. Try and make her do something, and she pushes back. There was enough that went wrong to give her a damn good case to return.

Roll on ten years of visits, and she's come round to it being her idea to go.

Would have been a hell of a lot easier when the kids were toddlers and it was three dollars to the pound and you could buy a 4*2 for $200,000. But hey ho. It will be a complicated extraction now the kids are older, but it may happen.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Divorce?:laugh:

No, I was diagnosed with cancer ten years ago. Still in remission but it is incurable and will get me sometime. Mil may be very ill. Eldest is starting year ten this year, exchange rate isn't as good as I need it to be to compensate for the loss of life insurance if I leave my job. Bil also not that well.

Lots to consider.

Wife and I are very happy ATM considering everything that's going on. Fingers crossed.

We have a set of friends here and their daughters have just gone back to UK. Although they loved it here with the climate they found they missed their friends and remaining family in UK. Also night life here is so much more expensive that they anticipated and they miss the club scene in Newcastle so I think this was a factor. That and one of the girls boyfriends was here for a while and he went back for his mum so one girl followed and so did the other.

Rainman I understand you wanting your kids to grow up with extended family.I emigrated with my family when I was aged 9.It didn't hit us initially missing extended family but it did hit us all later on.My Mum came from a family of 13,Dad 7,so we had a lot of aunties,uncles and cousins that we missed.I know for some people,family probably aren't that important (not extended anyway)but for us,we had no one else in Oz,and it did seem quite isolated and lonely at times due to that.

I'd like to wish you a very happy future once back in the UK,and I hope its all you expected it to be.Its a great country with so many things to do and see,and of course the attraction of cheaper oversea's travel is enticing!

Thanks Jacaranda. It is a scary thought going back 13 years later and starting again. I've made some questionable decisions over the years and I worry if this is another of them but I feel it's something we've got to do.

Good one Rainman!

My boys have both regretted the absence of their extended UK family who are much more family oriented than their Aussie extended family.

Good luck for the next step in your life adventure whenever you chose to take it!

Thanks Quoll :smile:

Thanks Jacaranda. It is a scary thought going back 13 years later and starting again. I've made some questionable decisions over the years and I worry if this is another of them but I feel it's something we've got to do.

Questionable decisions or decisions made with the knowledge/feelings you had at that time?:wink:Stop worrying Rainman,whatever you decide will be the right decision for "that time"!

No, I was diagnosed with cancer ten years ago. Still in remission but it is incurable and will get me sometime. Mil may be very ill. Eldest is starting year ten this year, exchange rate isn't as good as I need it to be to compensate for the loss of life insurance if I leave my job. Bil also not that well.

Lots to consider.

Wife and I are very happy ATM considering everything that's going on. Fingers crossed.

Only words but fingers crossed that it is in remission for a long time to come. Good luck mate in whichever path you choose.

We were in Australia (this time) for close to that long and it has turned out to be the best decision we have made. You'll be fine.

We were in Australia (this time) for close to that long and it has turned out to be the best decision we have made. You'll be fine.

It's reading about everybody's experiences that give me the strength to go through with it. I know it will be hard to begin with but it will work out -it has to!

• 2 weeks later...
As above.

Whats ts everyone main reasons for going back to the uk

and does anyone regret coming here then going back after all we have had to go through (ilet's/skills tests etc)

Im back and I'm blown away by what's available around me, I had forgotten how good it was. 6 big sports centres within a radius of 15 mins drive, 200 plus restaurants and bars within a radius of about 5k and an international airport 20 mins away. Yes please!!!

The beach just wasn't doing it for me anymore, no regrets.

Im back and I'm blown away by what's available around me, I had forgotten how good it was. 6 big sports centres within a radius of 15 mins drive, 200 plus restaurants and bars within a radius of about 5k and an international airport 20 mins away. Yes please!!!

The beach just wasn't doing it for me anymore, no regrets.

my friends back and loving it too although may be early days . But there is a lot of variety in UK , my mates back home at weekend all in the jacuzzi , having a laugh as we used too lol , my other friend is on a cruise , and my bestie was out Friday sat night : I'm just holding out for citizen . Then think I'll go back . I feel old before my time here . It's lovely to look at and nice have beach on ya doorstep . But I'm missing famy and get togethers and friends . My husbands mate who is Aussie who he worked with in UK for years said to my hubby before he left we all know what oz has to offer weather and beaches ! You'll be back after six month ! And he's Aussie living in UK lol :)

• 2 weeks later...

wow, your post bought tears to my eyes, Rainman, and I also kept nodding my head whilst reading it. I am so excited because I am finally moving back home to England at the end of October and bringing my Airedale and Siamese with me. The only things that I will miss when I leave Australia are my two sons who have sort of settled here - well one has and the other one hasn't, he has the Union Jack and Liverpool FC, (yes, I know, why THAT club and not Manchester City!) emblazoned on everything in his house! We originally emigrated here in 1985, my other half, my mum and our 3 children, the youngest was only 3 years old, the next one up was 11 and the oldest was 13. All 3 children endured 'pom bashing' all through school which really infuriated me as their parents, grand-parents etc all came here from somewhere else! All of us, apart from my husband, realised that we had made a huge mistake after only 3 or 4 months and my mother was particularly unhappy but my husband perfectly fitted into the 'okker' male, macho type and loved everything about life here. The problem with being so far away from England was the isolation from friends and family; my mother sadly died here in 1997 but I sent her ashes to England and when I finally get home, I will scatter them over the sea at Whitby as she always loved it there. My dad died in England and I couldn't spend time with him before he died. I am counting down the days until I step back on English soil. This is my first post here on this forum and I am really needing some help to find a place to rent when I get back. This may not be the right area to ask for help.

wow, your post bought tears to my eyes, Rainman, and I also kept nodding my head whilst reading it. I am so excited because I am finally moving back home to England at the end of October and bringing my Airedale and Siamese with me. The only things that I will miss when I leave Australia are my two sons who have sort of settled here - well one has and the other one hasn't, he has the Union Jack and Liverpool FC, (yes, I know, why THAT club and not Manchester City!) emblazoned on everything in his house! We originally emigrated here in 1985, my other half, my mum and our 3 children, the youngest was only 3 years old, the next one up was 11 and the oldest was 13. All 3 children endured 'pom bashing' all through school which really infuriated me as their parents, grand-parents etc all came here from somewhere else! All of us, apart from my husband, realised that we had made a huge mistake after only 3 or 4 months and my mother was particularly unhappy but my husband perfectly fitted into the 'okker' male, macho type and loved everything about life here. The problem with being so far away from England was the isolation from friends and family; my mother sadly died here in 1997 but I sent her ashes to England and when I finally get home, I will scatter them over the sea at Whitby as she always loved it there. My dad died in England and I couldn't spend time with him before he died. I am counting down the days until I step back on English soil. This is my first post here on this forum and I am really needing some help to find a place to rent when I get back. This may not be the right area to ask for help.

What a lovely thing to do for your mum! Hard to beat such a beautiful place as Whitby.... and you will really treasure the place once you've scattered her ashes.....

Threads like this are good reading for anyone contemplating the move to Australia; migrating here isn't something that should be taken lightly and is far more difficult then people realise. I just had this conversation with my sister who is considering coming out here with her family, and whilst she can see on our Facebook and from our stories that our life looks amazing, it's probably because Australia is good for us, but that will not necessarily be the case for others.

Our first 18 months here involved us never going anywhere without our children, no family support when I was away at work and my wife was sick at home with the kids, dealing with issues at our first rental house (police and bailiffs chasing the previous tenant), medical emergencies with the kids and much much more. We had no-one to babysit or give us a moment of time on our own, but it did bring us together even more as a family. Although admittedly we have been expats in Asia/Middle East since 2008 so it was probably less of a difficulty for us.

The culture is different, the pubs and drinking are different, the sport culture is different, the humour is different, the landscape and nature is different; Australia despite speaking the same language is a different place to England in so many ways and adjustment might not be easy.

For us Australia works, we've been here close to 2 years now and are very happy, but I left home at 18 to go to sea and both of us have lived overseas for many years, and neither of us have had any over reliance on friends, so many of the issues most people have hasn't been a problem. Also, we love the landscape of Australia, having visited NT, WA, QLD, VIC and living in NSW we feel we haven't even scratched the surface with so much to see.

Threads like this are good reading for anyone contemplating the move to Australia; migrating here isn't something that should be taken lightly and is far more difficult then people realise. I just had this conversation with my sister who is considering coming out here with her family, and whilst she can see on our Facebook and from our stories that our life looks amazing, it's probably because Australia is good for us, but that will not necessarily be the case for others.

Our first 18 months here involved us never going anywhere without our children, no family support when I was away at work and my wife was sick at home with the kids, dealing with issues at our first rental house (police and bailiffs chasing the previous tenant), medical emergencies with the kids and much much more. We had no-one to babysit or give us a moment of time on our own, but it did bring us together even more as a family. Although admittedly we have been expats in Asia/Middle East since 2008 so it was probably less of a difficulty for us.

The culture is different, the pubs and drinking are different, the sport culture is different, the humour is different, the landscape and nature is different; Australia despite speaking the same language is a different place to England in so many ways and adjustment might not be easy.

For us Australia works, we've been here close to 2 years now and are very happy, but I left home at 18 to go to sea and both of us have lived overseas for many years, and neither of us have had any over reliance on friends, so many of the issues most people have hasn't been a problem. Also, we love the landscape of Australia, having visited NT, WA, QLD, VIC and living in NSW we feel we haven't even scratched the surface with so much to see.

It was very much the same for us CaptainR. Coping with new born babies, childhood illnesses, no family to help with babysitting etc. Quite honestly it brought us very close together. Not once did I think - I can't cope, I'm going home. Both of us are very independent people. Both of us left home at an early age and travelled and lived in different countries. I've seen most of Australia and have now settled in my favourite part of this big country.

It was very much the same for us CaptainR. Coping with new born babies, childhood illnesses, no family to help with babysitting etc. Quite honestly it brought us very close together. Not once did I think - I can't cope, I'm going home. Both of us are very independent people. Both of us left home at an early age and travelled and lived in different countries. I've seen most of Australia and have now settled in my favourite part of this big country.

i never had the babysitting in UK anyway I was pregnant at 17 I've made yea bed ya lie in it basically, me and hubby have always been close too , it was tough when I had my first child , no help in UK I worked night shifts and hubby worked in his field and studied at same time , I pulled up from work he pulled off , I still cleaned cooked and looked after me kids at same time with no help and quite frankly I didn't want help ! You haven't got thank anyone then lol :) I haven't travelled only abroad for hols , hubby did a bit of work for his UK company in Hong Kong and Toronto, and Germany . I didn't go with him my kids were young then lol :) i have never thought I carny cope neither ! And it's not that I carny cope now I do lol it's just I feel like I'm missing out on a lot back home that's all ! So it's good for them that can settle ! I don't hate the place far from it , but I carny really explain what I feel about it to be honest lol :) just like there is a piece of jigsaw missing ! Everything all my life I've done for my kids aslong as they r ok I'm fine with that ! I'll never stop doing for them ! I want them have everything I never had :)

Edited by Shellybingobingo

i never had the babysitting in UK anyway I was pregnant at 17 I've made yea bed ya lie in it basically, me and hubby have always been close too , it was tough when I had my first child , no help in UK I worked night shifts and hubby worked in his field and studied at same time , I pulled up from work he pulled off , I still cleaned cooked and looked after me kids at same time with no help and quite frankly I didn't want help ! You haven't got thank anyone then lol :) I haven't travelled only abroad for hols , hubby did a bit of work for his UK company in Hong Kong and Toronto, and Germany . I didn't go with him my kids were young then lol :) i have never thought I carny cope neither ! And it's not that I carny cope now I do lol it's just I feel like I'm missing out on a lot back home that's all ! So it's good for them that can settle ! I don't hate the place far from it , but I carny really explain what I feel about it to be honest lol :) just like there is a piece of jigsaw missing ! Everything all my life I've done for my kids aslong as they r ok I'm fine with that ! I'll never stop doing for them ! I want them have everything I never had :)

When do you think you will be going back to live in the UK Shelly? It will be like a new lease of life for you :cute: