Main reason people move back. And do they regret coming / leaving

CowlingAFC

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might seem like stupid reasons now VS but I am sure they seemed valid at the time and you can only work with what is happening at the time

Nope - I was a moron. The job offer was very generous 50k a year and in many ways a dream job. I went to put my notice in at work and instead of losing me from the company, they asked if I would transfer to a role in Africa and could then do FIFO from the UK. No relocation, but a promotion and pay rise. But, could only guarantee me 6 months work in Africa. I took the Africa role.

We haven't returned yet but we will.

Weve been here just over 2 years and after 8 months I knew it wasnt for me long term, im ok about being here but its not a long term thing. The last 2 years here has flown so we are going to get citizenship then head home. Citizenship is maily for the kids...and then in turn if they come here when they are older we can too.

The initial move was for my wifes dream and for her job. I was happy to come but it has always been her thing. The kids love it here, whats not to like but I can see what they are also missing out on and for me thats more important than what Aus can offer as a trade off.

Neither country is better, just suits different people differently.

I miss family, mainly for the kids, family offer a deeper level/dimension for kids, grandparents, aunts, counsins etc. I think that will shape a child more than the beach and sun.

Other things I miss are friends, friends of 25+ years (and im only 32) I feel my life before oz doesnt matter/didnt exist as no one here knows/asks about it....but that made me who I am.

I miss football...FOOTBALL not (NRL or 'league), family get togethers, seasons, tv, humour, music, freshwater fishing I could go on.

I also miss being able to do alot of things (that I might not end up doing/ or only do once every year etc) but still being able to do it should I want. Such as, europe, lads holiday, day sight seeing in london,go to watch the football, go to europe and watch arsenal play a foreign team etc, like I say, not somthing i would do/did hardly at all...BUT I could if I wanted to. Choice I guess you could say.

Xmas..and I mean proper xmas...not receiving a snowman xmas card when its 30+ oC outside!

Pubs, open fires, bonfire night, school nativities, sunday roasts with family, no matter how busy we were/had been we always made time for the sunday dinner at my mums etc and all caught up and then come monday off we would go on the rat race treadmill again...but it was a checkpoint for just a couple of hours.

Affordability of nice cars, visting my wifes parents in france 3-4 times a year...like I say, I could go on.

Im happy here at the moment but see more for us as a family all round in the UK. We are building a house here at the moment, something we would probably never be able to do in the UK (which is a big part why we are doing it) but even doing that im not tempted to stay...yes it will be a nice house once done, much nicer than we would have in the UK but whats a nice house that none of your family can share/fill.

Anyway, thats enough from me. Look forward to reading other posts, agreed with all so far!

Yeah its a tough one @CowlingAFC you feel you should stay as it took so much to get here but you should take more pride in the fact you tried it rather than the fact it might not be for you. No shame in that.

Ive been through the 'people will think im mad' and 'what will people think' stage but I couldnt care less, the only people who will comment are the ones who would never have the guts to make the move in the first place, so what do they know.

Im just seeing this as an adventure now and making memories for the kids future.

One of the reasons we came here was for more family time but as it goes we probably get less as my wife works 1 day a week more here than she did in the uk to cover the higher cost of living, mainly childcare (good old free grandparents!) Plus we hardly ever get anytime just the two of us as we dont have the support we had back home. We knew we wouldnt have any support before we came, and not complaining as such, just saying how it is.

One thing that I find annoying is that as soon as you say you miss home or want to move back home at some point people automatically say "why dont you like australia" erm...I never said that! I just prefer home.

We summed it up the other day by saying we just think the uk "ticks more important boxes for us as a family"

Sure we will miss things about here, im not so rose tinted that I cant see what Australia has to offer but on the flip side, its taken coming here to see all the UK has for us too, took it all for granted before.

How many of you still refer to the UK as 'HOME" even after living here x years??? I do, people daily say to me "but Aus is your home now" its not, its just where Im currently living. I dont refer to a place we go on holiday to as home because its only a temporary home. No different in my eyes!

Anyway, I like to read this thread and know my reasons are the same as other peoples.

Edited by wattsy1982

So your still here in oz pal?

i have no partner/girlfriend/wife, and no kids. Sister lives here wih her husband and 3 girls and if I do go back to scotland then I miss them growing up. Tough one

Yes mate, live on the gold coast with my wofe and 2 boys, 5 and 3.

Going back home for a wedding next June and going to decide then but to be honest, my mind is made up now. Knowing that we will go back soon (ish) is enough for me at the moment.

think about being back at home most days though, might be a long 2 years until citizenship but hey, the last 2 years have gone pretty quick.

Yeah tough one for you mate.

Iv just got back from the uk,and me and hubby have decided we moving back to uk in 6 months time!being with family/friends was so awesome,haven't had such a good laugh in sooo long.i think isolation is the main reason we going back.also i missed the greenery in uk,i forgot how soft and green the grass was back in uk,grass here stabs your feet,so dry and colourless.looking forward to 2016!2015 has been awful...oh and i found british people alot friendlier than the ones in sydney.

Edited by shak

Iv just got back from the uk,and me and hubby have decided we moving back to uk in 6 months time!being with family/friends was so awesome,haven't had such a good laugh in sooo long.i think isolation is the main reason we going back.also i missed the greenery in uk,i forgot how soft and green the grass was back in uk,grass here stabs your feet,so dry and colourless.looking forward to 2016!2015 has been awful...oh and i found british people alot friendlier than the ones in sydney.

Solid reasons - I tried to remember the last time I had a really good laugh - suspect it was when I was back in the UK two years ago. No-one can prepare you for the isolation of Oz. However independent and self sufficient you are, it is pretty daunting to come to terms with the fact that when push comes to shove, there really is no-one here to support or help you.

As above.

Whats ts everyone main reasons for going back to the uk

and does anyone regret coming here then going back after all we have had to go through (ilet's/skills tests etc)

Like most people on here, it's mainly missing family and friends though it is also partly for my career as I work in a specialized area in the Movie Industry and unfortunately Australia, in particular Queensland, just doesn't have enough work for me to sustain a long term career here. To a lesser degree, for me personally, as my wife grew up in New Zealand and our kids don't really remember living in Britain, I simply miss my home where 36 years of memories are. I don't belong here and as much as I have tried to embrace the Australian way of life, it's not me. We have Australian 'friends' who I get on well with but I can't talk to them about things that really interest me because all my interests are based on what I did in the UK. I enjoy outdoor pursuits - I love walking, cycling, playing Golf and fishing and although I continue to enjoy those interests here I don't get the same feeling of satisfaction or enjoyment as I did when I was in Britain. I miss going for a long hike in all weathers then coming across a pub in the middle of nowhere and have quick pint by a burning log fire before heading home. I miss cycling on a warm summers evening down country lanes that then sprout other country lanes to come across a hidden village with a Pub in the middle of nowhere... see where I'm going with this? I miss going to buy the Christmas tree from the local Garden Center even if I did end up always being disappointed with my choice. I badly miss going for a pint on Christmas Day and soaking up the wonderful happy atmosphere. I used to love Christmas but now I come to dread it. None of the people I have as friends here can relate to this. I struggle to get interested in the conversations here. It doesn't help that I hate NRL with a passion so I can't join in the conversation when 'Footys' brought up, which means I can't join in on 90% of what Australian males talk about. I have to avoid getting involved in discussing Politics as I think Australian Politics and most of their Politicians are a joke. Any Country's Government that can have someone like Clive Palmer having an influence on their policies is not a country I wish to live in.

I've enjoyed living in Australia, I don't regret us moving here but I know it's time to leave. I know I won't come back. My children may return, at least they now have the choice. They like it here although it's all they know which is one of the reasons I want us to move back. I want them to get to know their country of birth. I'm fairly sure once they get used to living there, they'll come to enjoy living in the UK (I hope).

The one regret I have which is has nothing to do with Australia and is a heavy weight around my heart and what I didn't consider before moving overseas is that my Dad, Brother and Sister have missed seeing my kids grow up. I come from a small family and I feel very guilty that due to what I felt was in their best interests at the time, I have denied my kids the chance to spend time with their Grandad and grow up along side my Siblings' children. We have missed many very special times being away from them and we are not going to miss any more if I can help it.

Rainman I understand you wanting your kids to grow up with extended family.I emigrated with my family when I was aged 9.It didn't hit us initially missing extended family but it did hit us all later on.My Mum came from a family of 13,Dad 7,so we had a lot of aunties,uncles and cousins that we missed.I know for some people,family probably aren't that important (not extended anyway)but for us,we had no one else in Oz,and it did seem quite isolated and lonely at times due to that.

I'd like to wish you a very happy future once back in the UK,and I hope its all you expected it to be.Its a great country with so many things to do and see,and of course the attraction of cheaper oversea's travel is enticing!

Like most people on here, it's mainly missing family and friends though it is also partly for my career as I work in a specialized area in the Movie Industry and unfortunately Australia, in particular Queensland, just doesn't have enough work for me to sustain a long term career here. To a lesser degree, for me personally, as my wife grew up in New Zealand and our kids don't really remember living in Britain, I simply miss my home where 36 years of memories are. I don't belong here and as much as I have tried to embrace the Australian way of life, it's not me. We have Australian 'friends' who I get on well with but I can't talk to them about things that really interest me because all my interests are based on what I did in the UK. I enjoy outdoor pursuits - I love walking, cycling, playing Golf and fishing and although I continue to enjoy those interests here I don't get the same feeling of satisfaction or enjoyment as I did when I was in Britain. I miss going for a long hike in all weathers then coming across a pub in the middle of nowhere and have quick pint by a burning log fire before heading home. I miss cycling on a warm summers evening down country lanes that then sprout other country lanes to come across a hidden village with a Pub in the middle of nowhere... see where I'm going with this? I miss going to buy the Christmas tree from the local Garden Center even if I did end up always being disappointed with my choice. I badly miss going for a pint on Christmas Day and soaking up the wonderful happy atmosphere. I used to love Christmas but now I come to dread it. None of the people I have as friends here can relate to this. I struggle to get interested in the conversations here. It doesn't help that I hate NRL with a passion so I can't join in the conversation when 'Footys' brought up, which means I can't join in on 90% of what Australian males talk about. I have to avoid getting involved in discussing Politics as I think Australian Politics and most of their Politicians are a joke. Any Country's Government that can have someone like Clive Palmer having an influence on their policies is not a country I wish to live in.

I've enjoyed living in Australia, I don't regret us moving here but I know it's time to leave. I know I won't come back. My children may return, at least they now have the choice. They like it here although it's all they know which is one of the reasons I want us to move back. I want them to get to know their country of birth. I'm fairly sure once they get used to living there, they'll come to enjoy living in the UK (I hope).

The one regret I have which is has nothing to do with Australia and is a heavy weight around my heart and what I didn't consider before moving overseas is that my Dad, Brother and Sister have missed seeing my kids grow up. I come from a small family and I feel very guilty that due to what I felt was in their best interests at the time, I have denied my kids the chance to spend time with their Grandad and grow up along side my Siblings' children. We have missed many very special times being away from them and we are not going to miss any more if I can help it.

Brilliant post. Found myself nodding along in agreement so many times, particularly re your kids growing up away from their family.