Jeremy Corbyn, thoughts?

Harpodom

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends how in touch management are. I can imagine the sitting at the desk longer May work in bigger organisations. I work in small so no dramas, slow workers get spotted.

When I got back to the UK, I started work in a MNC in London and I noticed how everyone in my department would sit at their desks every day until well at least 6pm and probably well beyond. This was despite the department actually not having that much to do, people were willing and keen for some more work, there was not enough to go around but they all felt like they had to stay there anyway.

It it may have always been that way in London, but it really contrasted after Australia, where many would be out of the door the minute they could. And no it was not because they were more efficient in Australia, I have never found clocking off on the dot of 5pm means a good efficient worker.

Generally in my working life, I have found that high quality and reliable work is rewarded the most. Often people will get on more because they are good at the softer side of things too, networking, politics and perhaps being pushy. But I can't agree that decent workers are always down trodden and it is only manipulative, deceitful ones that get one.

Anyway is this still the Jeremy Corbyn thread?

I would have hated working in an office when I was young. I loved the outdoors and didn't mind the hours at all. Even when I was working in a large office environment in Sydney, I used to feel claustrophobic and took off to the country most weekends.

Depends role. Enjoyed working in London and it was an international environment concerning British overseas interests. I rather liked it. Still took plenty of very long durations off to travel.

Where do Quinkla and Flag work. We were definitely recognised for good quality and timely work. Brown nosers were soon spotted and it never got them anywhere.

I can say you are very fortunate then. Rest is of no importance, apart from my experience being Brown noses often do get places, in the since of not being a threat to insecure people in position as one example.

I tend to agree. The stuff about the decent guys winning and the bad guys coming unstuck only happens in films.

It does indeed. I know a few that would back you 100% on that as well. Sometimes though, those considered 'dangerous' to the ambition of less able, but already in position, are indeed given a station of some relevance to keep onside and attempt to eliminate perceived threat.

Going way of thread though. Still like the sound of this Jeremy Corbyn bloke. Could be what Labour needs to get the dreaded Tories back peddling.

Corbyn is not what Labour needs. There was a swing to the Tories in May, this did not happen because Labour was not left enough. It happened because Labour was too left and anti business. There has not been a strongly left Labour government in the UK since the 70s for a reason - it is not what the electorate wants.

Corbyn is not what Labour needs. There was a swing to the Tories in May, this did not happen because Labour was not left enough. It happened because Labour was too left and anti business. There has not been a strongly left Labour government in the UK since the 70s for a reason - it is not what the electorate wants.

No the bit you're missing is the swing came from such a small minority of people who bothered to vote because politics is too left wing and there's no alternative really to Tory policy. More left wing policies from labour will get that fed up 60/70% of people who can't be bothered to vote out the door and to the polling stations

No the bit you're missing is the swing came from such a small minority of people who bothered to vote because politics is too left wing and there's no alternative really to Tory policy. More left wing policies from labour will get that fed up 60/70% of people who can't be bothered to vote out the door and to the polling stations

That doesn't make any sense. I have read it a few times but it still makes no sense. "The swing came from a small minority who bothered to vote because politics is too left wing". What? So how does going more left wing help that?

And 60/70% of people cannot be bothered to vote? Have you actually looked at turnout rates in a general election? Perhaps you should before posting about turnout rates! 2015 was the highest election turn out in nearly twenty years and it was well above 30/40%, that is the turnout rate usually send for council or European elections.

The more left wing policies released this time round sent people scurrying the other way. A few more isn't going to have th eopposite effect. Labour self destruction is imminent.

Totally disagree. Labour has become Tory Lite in message and looks and failed miserably its base. You may ask the question why the British public has moved away in vast numbers to vote SNP or UKIP? Or disconnected from politics altogether. None speak to the average voter anymore, nor has done so for quite some time.

The right have failed on every hurdle. Life is not better for many. More debt/over worked/ uninspired and so on. Definitely room for fresh thinking and left politics to be exposed to an entire generation plus that has only been exposed to varying degrees of right ideology.

That doesn't make any sense. I have read it a few times but it still makes no sense. "The swing came from a small minority who bothered to vote because politics is too left wing". What? So how does going more left wing help that?

And 60/70% of people cannot be bothered to vote? Have you actually looked at turnout rates in a general election? Perhaps you should before posting about turnout rates! 2015 was the highest election turn out in nearly twenty years and it was well above 30/40%, that is the turnout rate usually send for council or European elections.

The more left wing policies released this time round sent people scurrying the other way. A few more isn't going to have th eopposite effect. Labour self destruction is imminent.

No Labour more likely to find its feet going in another direction. Corbyn may well be the man to do it. We shall see. The right of the UK Labour will of course attempt to abort his standing and growing popularity.

An agenda with clearly articulated different policy will I fully expect see people regaining hope that just perhaps there is something/one in politics that will speak for their concerns while creating a better and faired society while turning around some of the rot that has benefited the few over recent years/decades.

Totally disagree. Labour has become Tory Lite in message and looks and failed miserably its base. You may ask the question why the British public has moved away in vast numbers to vote SNP or UKIP? Or disconnected from politics altogether. None speak to the average voter anymore, nor has done so for quite some time.

The right have failed on every hurdle. Life is not better for many. More debt/over worked/ uninspired and so on. Definitely room for fresh thinking and left politics to be exposed to an entire generation plus that has only been exposed to varying degrees of right ideology.

Labout has gone more to the centre, Conservatives have gone more to the centre. It has been successful for both because moderation is what most of the electorate want. The most successful Labour Party in a genegation was only successful because it was in the centre. But you will carry on blindly ignoring that because you personally are more radical and of course you insult the rest of the population by assuming they don't know what they are doing.

Labout has gone more to the centre, Conservatives have gone more to the centre. It has been successful for both because moderation is what most of the electorate want. The most successful Labour Party in a genegation was only successful because it was in the centre. But you will carry on blindly ignoring that because you personally are more radical and of course you insult the rest of the population by assuming they don't know what they are doing.

It has not been successful which is clear for all to see. Reason why ratbag parties like UKIP have been taking up the slack. Present Conservative policy is hardly to the centre although Cameron at times does appear somewhat disconnected.

No again Blair rode in on the skirt tail of Thatcher and tail of Major and construed a policy he considered fit for that particular time. No one questions the conservative nature of Middle England and the need to make inroads into some of that territory. Likewise to entice those back that have elected to remove themselves from the voting system by speaking the policy and values they understand not be only for the big business and top earners and associated knobs is every bit as likely to see positive results than remaining the way Labour has been in recent times.

Stand for something and take it to the people.

It has not been successful which is clear for all to see. Reason why ratbag parties like UKIP have been taking up the slack. Present Conservative policy is hardly to the centre although Cameron at times does appear somewhat disconnected.

No again Blair rode in on the skirt tail of Thatcher and tail of Major and construed a policy he considered fit for that particular time. No one questions the conservative nature of Middle England and the need to make inroads into some of that territory. Likewise to entice those back that have elected to remove themselves from the voting system by speaking the policy and values they understand not be only for the big business and top earners and associated knobs is every bit as likely to see positive results than remaining the way Labour has been in recent times.

Sorry I said the most successful Labour government, I meant in getting a mandate from the electorate. Obviously I did not mean they were successful as a government, not with them nearly bankrupting the country and all that.

Anyway a lot of people will be glad to see Corbyn win the leadership contest that is true. In a short termist way I will be glad myself as it will keep Labour out in 2020 if he lasts that long, but I don't really like to see the destruction of a major party either. From time to time the baton needs to be handed over and all parties need to be challenged.

Maybe tunout figures may have been higher than what I stated but it still doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of people who didn't vote chose not to because there was no alternative to the Tories, if the people who didn't vote for this reason voted plus many of the people who voted green for the same reason and some of the UKIP voters who only did so to protest came back to labour it would have been an easy labour victory with such a slender majority.

i am in the 18-35 demographic who are completely pissed off with politics and I can tell you now that the very large majority of people my age would vote for a left wing Labour Party if such a think existed

Edited by Skyba

Good post, the point of politics should t be to do it the way labour have done which is to tailor your policies to what you think may win you votes, labour started for the working people and it took a lot of hard work for people to come up with ideas and show people that these ideas would work for a better Britain, it's labours job to do this, put forward your ideas and prove why this will work not just make yourself into Tory light because it's what people are used to.

And bungo to I think it's quite insulting that you think an entire genration that aren't voting aren't intelligent enough to realise a got for "new labour" is a vote for Tory light, the vast majority of people aren't rich so why would the vast majority vote for a party who favour the rich?

Sorry I said the most successful Labour government, I meant in getting a mandate from the electorate. Obviously I did not mean they were successful as a government, not with them nearly bankrupting the country and all that.

Anyway a lot of people will be glad to see Corbyn win the leadership contest that is true. In a short termist way I will be glad myself as it will keep Labour out in 2020 if he lasts that long, but I don't really like to see the destruction of a major party either. From time to time the baton needs to be handed over and all parties need to be challenged.

I'm sorry but you must be dillusional if you honestly think this will without doubt keep labour out. It will win back the Scottish and it will bring an entire generation back into politics who feel that they aren't being represented by politics.

An honest politician!! Oh how the right would hate for this to happen, someone who isn't going to rip off the country and sell of its assets, you have the right banging on about brown and the gold reserves and Osborne just stitched the country up to the tune of £1bn when selling RBS to his buddies!!

I'll tell you what's odd, a political party that has just watched a centre right coalition get kicked out, to be replaced by a right wing party, and think the best way to get themselves re-elected is to lurch to the left :eek:

It's called having some principles, the Tories never slide leftwards when Labour are in power but Labour has to constantly embrace Toryism to ever be elected.

What a waste of time.

I

I assume you are ignoring the most successful and popular Labour govt of 1947 which gave the country the welfare state which the Right have been busy trying to dismantle ever since.

My understanding was that the bankrupting of the country was down to the greed, avarice of the totally corrupt and incompetent bankers, nothing to do with Labour other than that they believed the shite that the American and British bankers kept on feeding them and who are now yet again being fawned and slavered over by this bunch of old Etonian to**ers.

Jeremy Corbyn is popular because he is giving people, especially young people, hope that there might just be an alternative to endless diet of cuts and more cuts, forcing everyone except those at the top back to a life of servitude, just like it used to be when the Tories last had the whip hand in the early 1900's.

Whether he will get the Labour party elected is a different ball game, but at least he will call Conservatism for what it is, the party of the elites, the selfish and the greedy, and that will appeal to a lot of people who are thoroughly sick and tired of being told There Is No Alternative to austerity and self sacrifice for 'the poor bloody infantry' but not for the'Officer Corps'.

Jeremy Corbyn is popular because he is giving people, especially young people, hope that there might just be an alternative to endless diet of cuts and more cuts, forcing everyone except those at the top back to a life of servitude, just like it used to be when the Tories last had the whip hand in the early 1900's.

Whether he will get the Labour party elected is a different ball game, but at least he will call Conservatism for what it is, the party of the elites, the selfish and the greedy, and that will appeal to a lot of people who are thoroughly sick and tired of being told There Is No Alternative to austerity and self sacrifice for 'the poor bloody infantry' but not for the'Officer Corps'.

I would absolutely love to see corbyn sat opposite that shite Cameron, what would be even better but highly unlikely would be Dennis skinner sat next to him as his number 2, just imagine if corbyn let skinner take over for PMQ's one week lol

also if I was the Tories I'd be very worried of a corbyn led labour, they have such a slim majority that one bi-election in an area that was a swing seat and had a low turnout due to people being pissed off with right wing labour could destroy this tory government. If the idiotic labour back benchers who do whatever the whip tells them had taken a stand against the welfare cuts and voted instead of abstaining then those cuts wouldn't have managed to get through straight away

Edited by Skyba

I would absolutely love to see corbyn sat opposite that shite Cameron, what would be even better but highly unlikely would be Dennis skinner sat next to him as his number 2, just imagine if corbyn let skinner take over for PMQ's one week lol

also if I was the Tories I'd be very worried of a corbyn led labour, they have such a slim majority that one bi-election in an area that was a swing seat and had a low turnout due to people being pissed off with right wing labour could destroy this tory government. If the idiotic labour back benchers who do whatever the whip tells them had taken a stand against the welfare cuts and voted instead of abstaining then those cuts wouldn't have managed to get through straight away

Dennis Lenin Skinner?

Labour will never win another election. Bring it on. Miliband lost because he went too far to the left not middle or right.

I

I assume you are ignoring the most successful and popular Labour govt of 1947 which gave the country the welfare state which the Right have been busy trying to dismantle ever since.

Yes you can assume that, because I said "in a generation" which is commonly deemed to be 30 years, not 70 years.

And goodness why don't you lefties change the broken record, the Tories have precided over the welfare state and the NhS for longer than Labour and it is still here isn't it, bigger than ever. I really think people are finally starting to see through this scaremongering, it seems to be the only line of argument Labour have these days. Pathetic. Have you thought about challenging policies they do have, rather than made up ones.

Edited by Bungo