holiday in uk

shak

MR2,I was kind of making a point that,you find the UK dark,dank and whatever else you said (lol)but that doesn't mean everyone else does.My sister for example absolutely detest aussie winters.Always makes her feel flat,and although I try and talk her round it.....outlining the positives,nope she just doesn't see any!:laugh:I love winter myself in either country.Love getting rugged up,making soup,casseroles,cakes etc,watching the countryside change,and knowing its taking a "rest",curling up on the sofa with a good book,hot choc in hand hahahaha I also love summer though,in either place,but not too keen when it hits over 35c!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MR2,I was kind of making a point that,you find the UK dark,dank and whatever else you said (lol)but that doesn't mean everyone else does.My sister for example absolutely detest aussie winters.Always makes her feel flat,and although I try and talk her round it.....outlining the positives,nope she just doesn't see any![emoji23]I love winter myself in either country.Love getting rugged up,making soup,casseroles,cakes etc,watching the countryside change,and knowing its taking a "rest",curling up on the sofa with a good book,hot choc in hand hahahaha I also love summer though,in either place,but not too keen when it hits over 35c!

My aunt would hate the hot summers I know.

I guess what I am trying to do is to day that "Aussies" and "Australia" are not that different to "Pommies" and "Pommie Land." I'm in pub at 1 am on Mon morning (where could I do that in UK?) with a crowd of Aussie mates and it is no different to being with my Pommie mates in UK. I HATE the way some people portray Aussies as being "different" to "us!" it is total BS.

Is it four years now?! I went back for a holiday in 1996 and stayed till 2008. Just the way things worked out. I lost my job. My parents were still alive otherwise I'd never have left OZ

And if my brother has not been in Sydney I might still be in UK now

Yup 4 yrs on 1 September! I could be on track to beat your 8 yr record of not returning from holidays huh

If the weather is not a factor, why do so many people take their holidays at this time of the year in the UK and why is it the most popular time, bar Xmas, for people to go back to the UK for holidays? Why not go in Nov when it is cheaper and less crowded?

I am just suggesting to people that If you are considering going back to the UK, do it in winter and remember too that going on holiday in summer is not the same as living and working there in winter.

I do think it's a fair point to say visit the country of your dreams (whichever one it is) at the 'worst' time of year - we took our reccie to Perth in July believing we should go in winter & if we loved it then the summer could only be better - the friends we met there did tell us summer was the worst season in Perth - I didn't believe it until we lived there!

MR2,I was kind of making a point that,you find the UK dark,dank and whatever else you said (lol)but that doesn't mean everyone else does.My sister for example absolutely detest aussie winters.Always makes her feel flat,and although I try and talk her round it.....outlining the positives,nope she just doesn't see any!:laugh:I love winter myself in either country.Love getting rugged up,making soup,casseroles,cakes etc,watching the countryside change,and knowing its taking a "rest",curling up on the sofa with a good book,hot choc in hand hahahaha I also love summer though,in either place,but not too keen when it hits over 35c!

Absolutely! I always feel that I'm better dressed during the Melbourne winter. Being able to wear layers and feeling comfortable in my clothes, rather than worrying over how sweaty I'll look before I've even got into the office!

Whenever I meet Pommie migrants and ask them if they like it here, and if 'yes', why they like it here, top of the list, or near to the top, is 'the weather.'

I can't imagine that there are many Pommie migrants whose ambition it is, to make enough money to be able to spend the six months from November to April in the UK to get away from the nasty Aussie summer!?

I'm happiest when the thermometer hits 30 plus, wall to wall sunshine with a lovely sea breeze, heaven.

I wish I was! When it gets to about 25c + I start anxiously studying the B.O.M. site for signs of respite! I reckon my internal thermostat has never worked!. Some people seem to pull off looking effortlessly cool during summer, swanning around like they're in a Tommy Hilfiger commercial. Not me, I look like a waxwork that's been placed too close to the fire!

I love the weather in Adelaide four clear seasons, although it is a bit chilly for me at the moment. Love the summer, happy with the heat as long as I can cool the bedroom to sleep.

not a huge fan of humidity though so Queensland would be harder for me, even though they have a milder winter in the North.

That is a deep comment. And hits home. Not about me but someone close. How did you manage to find your peace and happiness?

oops too slow this is a response to maryrose

I have had lot of therapy! Seriously! Ö went to my then GP in Leichhardt six years ago and asked if he could refer me to a clinical psychologist. If your GP refers you to one, and you get a "Mental Health Plan", you are entitled to ten appointments in a twelve month period subsidised by Medicare. (I think much the same scheme exists in the UK as I saw a therapist at my local health centre. NB different countries but with the same problems.)

I experienced problems living in Sydney but there is nothing unique about Australia that has caused them. Sydney is a huge city and I feel sometimes like a single "ant" in a tumultuous "anthill, but I felt the same in London and it only ever visited it.

People blame Australia for their problems and four some of them it may be true, but for others, they are just unhappy. It is like expecting a new partner to make you happy when your sadness has nothing to do with loneliness.

Im dreading the sydney summers too...xmas is not the same in oz,doesn't feel right in the heat

What would you say to all those Pommies who fly off to warmer climes every Xmas from the UK and to the thousands of backpackers who join the locals at packed beaches all over Sydney. And how about Aussie expats homesick for a 'real Xmas' at home?

My last two Xmases in Sydney have been a little sad, not because I am in Sydney, where I have spent many Xmases, but because I've been on my own. Xmas is for families (though many fight) and it does not matter where you are or what the climate is at Xmas.

Tell me, hand on heart, which would prefer, Xmas on your own in the UK, or Xmas with your family in Sydney?

I have had lot of therapy! Seriously! Ö went to my then GP in Leichhardt six years ago and asked if he could refer me to a clinical psychologist. If your GP refers you to one, and you get a "Mental Health Plan", you are entitled to ten appointments in a twelve month period subsidised by Medicare. (I think much the same scheme exists in the UK as I saw a therapist at my local health centre. NB different countries but with the same problems.)

I experienced problems living in Sydney but there is nothing unique about Australia that has caused them. Sydney is a huge city and I feel sometimes like a single "ant" in a tumultuous "anthill, but I felt the same in London and it only ever visited it.

People blame Australia for their problems and four some of them it may be true, but for others, they are just unhappy. It is like expecting a new partner to make you happy when your sadness has nothing to do with loneliness.

It is good to know therapy worked for you. I am trying to convince them that they need to address the unhappiness and take some control. It is not where they are but what they are. Trying to chase down the end of the rainbow instead of realising the pot of gold is at their feet.

Whenever I meet Pommie migrants and ask them if they like it here, and if 'yes', why they like it here, top of the list, or near to the top, is 'the weather.'

I can't imagine that there are many Pommie migrants whose ambition it is, to make enough money to be able to spend the six months from November to April in the UK to get away from the nasty Aussie summer!?

We used to have 'if we won the lottery' discussions and we'd have spent December in the UK, Jan-April in France back to the UK for May to August and Australia for September to November. So yes December to August we wouldn't choose to be in Australia.

It is good to know therapy worked for you. I am trying to convince them that they need to address the unhappiness and take some control. It is not where they are but what they are. Trying to chase down the end of the rainbow instead of realising the pot of gold is at their feet.

You have a fine way with words. I am on long-term medication which I forgot to mention. "Long-term" sounds like a prison sentence does it not?! I was first prescribed the medication when I was living in England, just to show that I am subject to the same anxieties and fears whether I am in England or Australia.

Some of us DO feel better when we go 'home' which is as true for Aussies as it is for Pommies. I think many of us forget that for Aussies, this is home and the UK is as alien to them as the moon.

Many of us, me included, feel sentimental when we see the 'symbols' of home. Even watching awful news story about factory explosion in? Cheshire? I was struck by the beauty of the fields and hills surrounding the factory.

But that wonderful countryside is useless without family and friends and my parents are dead and I have few close friends left in the UK. I made many friends when I went back to the UK and I did the same here in OZ. That is main difference between people who are happy in Oz and those who are unhappy. We don't see differences and an alien culture, just wonderful new experiences and people to meet.

We used to have 'if we won the lottery' discussions and we'd have spent December in the UK, Jan-April in France back to the UK for May to August and Australia for September to November. So yes December to August we wouldn't choose to be in Australia.

One of the little ironies of life in Sydney is that I get to watch more Spurs games here than in England because EVERY EPL game is televised together with most of the various cup comps, so I'm here not just for the weather but the "season!"

Personally i wouldn't mind the dark days anymore or early nights.i miss the cosy days in,curling up in front of the fire with a good movie :)

Trouble is.....there are a finite number of movies lol. Just kidding, hope your plans all work out. Not sure though how a place you regarded as a dump can turn into a palace just by being away. Though we are emigrating I would never consider the UK to be a dump per se. There are places and areas I really would not care to live but that would be the same anywhere in the world.

Trouble is.....there are a finite number of movies lol. Just kidding, hope your plans all work out. Not sure though how a place you regarded as a dump can turn into a palace just by being away. Though we are emigrating I would never consider the UK to be a dump per se. There are places and areas I really would not care to live but that would be the same anywhere in the world.

Well i didnt say it turned into a palace,just that after being in aus its not as bad as i thought.i appreciate it alot more.i always wanted to move somewhere warm,but realised after being in aus that anything above the 30 mark i cant handle,feel physically ill,and at those times i missed the uk weather.i realised Australia isnt for me,but uk definitely is.im not saying uk is perfect,nope it defo has its downsides too,but im willing to accept it all.i dont regret Australia, im glad i moved as i see uk with a fresh pair of eyes now

Well i didnt say it turned into a palace,just that after being in aus its not as bad as i thought.i appreciate it alot more.i always wanted to move somewhere warm,but realised after being in aus that anything above the 30 mark i cant handle,feel physically ill,and at those times i missed the uk weather.i realised Australia isnt for me,but uk definitely is.im not saying uk is perfect,nope it defo has its downsides too,but im willing to accept it all.i dont regret Australia, im glad i mover as i see uk with a fresh pair of eyes now

Great post Shak. I completely agree with those sentiments. Personally, despite the fact that I love the UK I never thought it was perfect. It is what it is, and for me that's home.

Great post Shak. I completely agree with those sentiments. Personally, despite the fact that I love the UK I never thought it was perfect. It is what it is, and for me that's home.

I completely agree with shak and you :)

Unfortunately it often boils down to one of those annoying sayings that you hear so often....."you don't realise what you have until it's gone"

Its like ground hog day on here sometimes.....when you read posts from individuals set on moving to Aus......not just sticking the knife in....but twisting as well as they head out of the departure gates at Heathrow to their new adventure in Aus......I am looking forward to some updates from the recent crop of new migrants :)

I completely agree with shak and you :)

Unfortunately it often boils down to one of those annoying sayings that you hear so often....."you don't realise what you have until it's gone"

Its like ground hog day on here sometimes.....when you read posts from individuals set on moving to Aus......not just sticking the knife in....but twisting as well as they head out of the departure gates at Heathrow to their new adventure in Aus......I am looking forward to some updates from the recent crop of new migrants :)

Aw c'mon now wishing someone's unhappiness is just not cricket! :goofy:

Exactly!! Thats home...and like kungfustu said 'u dont know what u have till its gone...'

Archived