The UK is open for business and it is working (Article in SMH)

PeepingTom

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Depends who is providing that outlook doesn't it? Was it an outlook for ALL of the UK? [emoji4]

Meanwhile my house in Scotland continues to fall in value as it has done since the GFC.

I can only go by what friends and rellies commented on and their personal experiences. They enjoy a good standard of living - all kids in employment after leaving college/uni. Go on nice holidays a couple of times a year. I come from south west Scotland (Galloway) and houses are selling there quite soon after being marketed - not as quickly as in Sydney though. We sold our house there after 3 weeks. Almost too quick for us - we started to panic as we thought it would take longer.

Is your house rented out in the meantime?

My best friend emailed me yesterday telling me it was unlikely my Godson would get to go to Uni ( he has predicted a* for gcses this year). Apparently changes to funding ect. Fees set to far exceed what a family earning little over minimum wage can afford. So much for education for all. Back to opportunities for the already over privileged

It is at the moment, yes. We gave up trying to sell it after 2 years and only one viewer. Nice area, Modern large 4 bed, garage, 2 gardens etc. just a constant oversupply of houses and buyers can be very choosy. So prices in our area (Kilmarnock) were continually falling as a result.

My best friend emailed me yesterday telling me it was unlikely my Godson would get to go to Uni ( he has predicted a* for gcses this year). Apparently changes to funding ect. Fees set to far exceed what a family earning little over minimum wage can afford. So much for education for all. Back to opportunities for the already over privileged

As far as I know this won't apply to Scottish universities. There are no fees for Scottish students who go to Scottish universities.

http://university.which.co.uk/advice/quick-guide-to-fees-and-finance-if-youre-studying-in-scotland

Yeah I'd say it's pretty accurate, I came back last year and was offered three jobs within two weeks...I decided I could afford to take the summer off and the situation was the same in September. This is in London though which might not be representative of the entire country.

All fees are covered by government loans - very similar to the system in Oz and he would not need to start paying back until earning over a certain amount. There is no requirement for families to pay for anything. If he is from a more disadvantaged family, most Universities offer very good additional funding free of charge such as bursaries.

All fees are covered by government loans - very similar to the system in Oz and he would not need to start paying back until earning over a certain amount. There is no requirement for families to pay for anything. If he is from a more disadvantaged family, most Universities offer very good additional funding free of charge such as bursaries.

Yes I realise that but apparently they have scrapped the non repayable grant of upto 4k, raised tuition fees and made it all a loan. I do feel it will put off the very lowest income families. It's certainly put my friend off and she is a very sensible woman but I think they have enough debt for now. They both work full time, he's unskilled as such she's in education support, works with young people in a tafe so knows the system. The working class, those on lower incomes are certainly still doing it tough in some circumstances. She feels her hands are tied, has looked to retrain, impossible. Either no funding or can't afford the wage drop.

Ill be gutted if he doesn't get to uni his talents will be wasted. I've offered him a year here with us as I don't want him to end up like a lot of others from our home town stuck in a dead end job working his butt off till he's old and grey with the odd overseas holiday to look forward to.

There is no reason why anyone should get a grant as all tuition fees are paid after graduating and only when earning over £21k. Why should your friends son graduate with the same qualification but less debt than one of his peers. If fees were paid upfront (as they were when I was at uni) then it is absolutely fair that those from poorer backgrounds are subsidised otherwise they cannot afford a university education, but that is no longer the case.

Agree Grants are unfair. Used to see students who were "well off" struggling because parents weren't supporting them although they were assessed on their income... then people on grants living it up at tax payers expense. No grants, pay it off when you start work

Your friend is being very short sighted if she discourages her son from going to Uni.

As has been mentioned there is no payment up front and only paid back when he is earning a good salary.

Really it has nothing to do with your friend. It will be the student's debt.

She is probably just having a whinge because she expects it to be free.

The age of entitlement is coming to an end than goodness.

Your friend is being very short sighted if she discourages her son from going to Uni.

As has been mentioned there is no payment up front and only paid back when he is earning a good salary.

Really it has nothing to do with your friend. It will be the student's debt.

She is probably just having a whinge because she expects it to be free.

The age of entitlement is coming to an end than goodness.

Nice to see you keeping to the Party line Parley!

Hopefully one day we will pay taxes and there will be no services provided.

There is no reason why anyone should get a grant as all tuition fees are paid after graduating and only when earning over £21k. Why should your friends son graduate with the same qualification but less debt than one of his peers. If fees were paid upfront (as they were when I was at uni) then it is absolutely fair that those from poorer backgrounds are subsidised otherwise they cannot afford a university education, but that is no longer the case.

It also breeds a system that is possible to manipulate. For example a student with self employed parents may be quite well off but can manipulate their incomes for a couple of years in order to get a sizeable grant.

Yes I realise that but apparently they have scrapped the non repayable grant of upto 4k, raised tuition fees and made it all a loan. I do feel it will put off the very lowest income families. It's certainly put my friend off and she is a very sensible woman but I think they have enough debt for now. They both work full time, he's unskilled as such she's in education support, works with young people in a tafe so knows the system. The working class, those on lower incomes are certainly still doing it tough in some circumstances. She feels her hands are tied, has looked to retrain, impossible. Either no funding or can't afford the wage drop.

Ill be gutted if he doesn't get to uni his talents will be wasted. I've offered him a year here with us as I don't want him to end up like a lot of others from our home town stuck in a dead end job working his butt off till he's old and grey with the odd overseas holiday to look forward to.

It's going to affect me too, but I would still rather take more student loans out than just not go to uni. I'm fortunate that the NHS pays for the nursing degree so I wouldn't need to pay as much back as most, but even if it didn't I would still go.

What really pisses me off is the 'basing it on your parents income' thing. I'm 24 FGS, my parents earn a decent amount on paper but their outgoings mean they don't really see it. I'm an adult, they're not going to be funding my time at uni or helping me financially in any time and I don't expect them to.

It is a shame the government have said they will be taking away the 4k grant.....it was available to families earning under 24k or 25k.....it is being replaced with a loan so the funding is still there and should not form a basis for anyone not going to Uni.....I suspect there are other reasons for your godson not wanting to go to Uni......the loans that students get are only paid back once the student is in full time work and earning over 21k.....they are also wiped out after 30 years whether or not they have been paid back so most students probably wont pay back the full amount they borrowed.....they are not considered debt so do not affect any future lending ie mortgages etc.

It certainly is "education for all" if you want it.

It's going to affect me too, but I would still rather take more student loans out than just not go to uni. I'm fortunate that the NHS pays for the nursing degree so I wouldn't need to pay as much back as most, but even if it didn't I would still go.

What really pisses me off is the 'basing it on your parents income' thing. I'm 24 FGS, my parents earn a decent amount on paper but their outgoings mean they don't really see it. I'm an adult, they're not going to be funding my time at uni or helping me financially in any time and I don't expect them to.

It is totally wrong.....we were assessed when in the UK as a couple, when eldest DD wanted to go to uni.

All they looked at was payslips, not outgoings, we had a stupidly high mortgage repayment, due to our business going bust because of the GFC.

Maybe we would have been better off going bankrupt, but we Didnt, we took it on the chin, trying to do the right thing.

Its no better in Aus. I've been looking at retraining....costs for courses are ridiculous .

Further education for those that want to better themselves, Should be for all.

not just for some:mad:

What is it that is 'wrong' with the situation? It sounds as if you are suggesting that someone who has an expensive lifestyle (eg lives in a big house, has a brand new car, shops at waitrose etc) is more deserving of a funded education than someone who earns the same salary but has a thrifty lifestyle. This isn't meant to sound personal as it must be heartbreaking to see your business go bust after so much passion and hard work but the concept of what you're suggesting would be hugely unfair and counter productive.

Archived