Findings so far of being in the UK

Johndoe

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 quid.........7 with unlimited drink. We're going here in about an hour to set us up for the day...........saves buying lunch :-} http://www.harvester.co.uk/restaurants/southwest/theoldcastlesalisbury/breakfast

Had a lovely chinese last night and I'd forgotten how good their chips and mushrooms tasted. 7 full meals with 6 extra portions 62 quid the lot and we couldn't eat it all the portions were that big

Then we're going here http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/stourhead/visitor-information/ I've just taken the kids a cup of tea in bed and got a bollocking for waking them! Sometimes you just can't win! :-)

Hope you are having a great time Kev. We enjoyed wandering around the gardens at Stourhead but watch out for the dog poo lol.

Hope you are having a great time Kev. We enjoyed wandering around the gardens at Stourhead but watch out for the dog poo lol.

We went to a Proms and firework concert at Stourhead a good few years ago though. There is quite a big concert happening at Highclere (Downton Abbey) either this or next month the posters made it look very interesting, but alas we miss out this year.

Enjoy your time Kev.

...........I do hope your all having a wonderful time.....

...........and Highclere is a lovely place,I went to school there for a while....

...........and have some lovely memories of St Micheals church.....worth a visit imo if you have the time..

...........take care and enjoy your holiday.....X

Stop Press: son brought me 600gms tesco thick cut bacon as he was sick of me whingeing about the 4 packs of thin that I'd bought. Cost 4 quid therefore 900gms = 6 quid at today's rate = A$12.28 In Oz I pay 9,95 for a kilo. 160 tetley t bags 3.95 = A$8.08 The same price that I pay at Coles for 200 although they're often on special at arund 5.50. looks good or does it? 160 tesco ones weigh 500gms but coles 200 weighs only 440 grams!! Either way, I still get 40 more cups in Oz and tbh, I can't tell the difference either way

Looking forward to my kippers for brekky tomorrow @ tesco pice GBP 6.50 a kilo = A$13.50 Bargain! Coles.....A$22.30 a kilo!

I thought of doing some googling and helping you avoid the rip offs but CBA, just forget about the penny pinching for 5 mins and enjoy your trip, the weather is glorious - get out there and enjoy it (remember slip slap slop).

I know people talk about the standard of driving between Oz and UK, and having just done almost 4000 miles over 5.5 weeks in the UK, I can safely say that UK drivers have the edge, but what the heck is it with using roundabouts these days??? people approaching them as though they are coming up to a stop line, then giving way as though it is a T junction, not reading the traffic for direction or speed against distance, giving way to a vehicle that is behind another vehicle which is exiting prior to your lane:arghh::wacko::arghh:

I know people talk about the standard of driving between Oz and UK, and having just done almost 4000 miles over 5.5 weeks in the UK, I can safely say that UK drivers have the edge, but what the heck is it with using roundabouts these days??? people approaching them as though they are coming up to a stop line, then giving way as though it is a T junction, not reading the traffic for direction or speed against distance, giving way to a vehicle that is behind another vehicle which is exiting prior to your lane:arghh::wacko::arghh:

Yes our roundabouts can be tricky for those not used to them.

We had decided 20 minutes into our first drive on the M4 in over 4 years last October that we would never moan about poor driving in Australia again. Shocking driving, however coming back we do still moan, shocking here too :laugh:

We had decided 20 minutes into our first drive on the M4 in over 4 years last October that we would never moan about poor driving in Australia again. Shocking driving, however coming back we do still moan, shocking here too :laugh:

I find it easier to drive on the motorways, with the M4 being one of my more regular roads.

I thought of doing some googling and helping you avoid the rip offs but CBA, just forget about the penny pinching for 5 mins and enjoy your trip, the weather is glorious - get out there and enjoy it (remember slip slap slop).

Yep resembles a nice Spring day in Brisbane by the looks of it. Shame the sea in the UK is an ice bath.

Yep resembles a nice Spring day in Brisbane by the looks of it. Shame the sea in the UK is an ice bath.

........there's more than the sea on a visit to the seaside...!

........yes I love the White sand and blue warm waters of qld.....

........but the diversity of a pebble beach.....

........the vibe of a bustling seaside experience....

........the memories still to be had......donkeys.....the seafood huts...

.........the tiny shops with all the seaside memorabilia.....

.........I've visited both recently......here and there.....

.........and enjoyed both,.....for what they have to offer.....

I haven't seen anyone in NSW approaching a roundabout with much skill either :err:

We drove from Nottingham to Blackpool last Wednesday afternoon and had to avoid 3 'near misses' thanks to other incompetent drivers cutting lanes or slamming their breaks on and we saw 2 major crashes. On the way home on Saturday lunchtime only 1 'near miss' but again 2 major crashes. We had only done a 2 1/2 hour drive. Is it like that in Australia?

Appear to be tricky for those that are used to them, there cannot be that many drivers that are only visiting and not used to roundabouts surely?.

It's visitors who do not know how they work that are the problem, to good drivers they are not a problem, just be confident and learn how to use them Linda you will find they are easy

Congratulations kev,

you're back three days and you've slid beautifully into the whinging pom vernacular.

The bacon is crap, the tea bags are no different,

What are the sausages like?

How much for a lemon?

Sausages

OK but actually, the bacon IS crap, at least the tesco stuff is. Supposed to be smoked but hardly a whiff of it, and done under the grill, it was swimming in white gunge before it cooked. It looked and tasted like it had been boiled!

They don't let dogs in till 4pm now which has eased the problem. We might have been lucky but we didn't encounter any