UK weather: Imminent heatwave 'could kill thousands'

Perthbum

Its as if its a macho competition who can function in the hottest weather ...what a load of bs .....35-40c is uncomfortable anywhere ....thats why the beaches were virtually empty when w.a had a heatwave a few years ago

You don't live and function in 40c ...you survive

People are sent home from work ...sporting tournaments are cancelled...and older people die .....keep it tea please

A couple of years ago my sister in law told me to drive 800 mrs to the shop when we were up near 40 and I walked anyway and I had to call her to pick me up!

Sorry this has gone on the wrong thread, should have gone on findings in chewing the fat, Mods can you do your job please?

Personally I don't mind that. It's like being at a party. We're allowed to talk about what we want. I walked out onto my balcony this morning, thought despite the cold and morning, "'was a hot afternoon, last day in June, and the sun was a Demon." and posted that on FB.

I was puzzled about the IPAD though!

Would you rather there were no warnings? Looks to me as though the press are just passing on the information, and nothing to do with "gutter press".

If anything happened to you or your "loved ones" you would probably be the first to cry" why weren't we warned". At least now people are aware of what "could"

happen.

Mike

I've noticed that the latest anti Abbott mantra is to condemn him for continually raising the spectre of terrorism in Australia. What will "They" say if there was a terrorist attack then?

Its as if its a macho competition who can function in the hottest weather ...what a load of bs .....35-40c is uncomfortable anywhere ....thats why the beaches were virtually empty when w.a had a heatwave a few years ago

You don't live and function in 40c ...you survive

People are sent home from work ...sporting tournaments are cancelled...and older people die .....keep it tea please

Not really -35 is ok, 40 is not for me. Matter of how an individual copes. To me 38 is about the turning point between being hot and being uncomfortably hot. I think 35 would be uncomfortable in the UK because there are so many people there and not much in the way of air con in cars, houses etc. Not a competition at all- just stating facts. Wonder why people have to have this infernal inferiority complex?

I know. It's such a crock of poop ! The UK will be a little bit warm for 10 minutes in July, recorded at a weather station next door to Sizewell B and its predictions of Armageddon all round :-)

My optimum temperature to work and play is 30-32, I won't even consider jumping in the pool or sea if under 30c. I love the heat and walk in it everyday . It's 21c here today and I walked the dogs in jeans and a thick hoody. Enjoy the heatwave UK folks, the sun just makes everything feel right IMO. Glad @Johndoe is having lovely weather.

Thanks chook. Just done Avebury manor the avebury henge and west kennet longbarrow and we walked the full circuit to them all. The boys are burned and yet they've never been burned in Oz :-) Had a lovely day and have just been to sainsburys for some nivea for them (no aloe vera). Of course, I just had to buy yo bottles of chardonnay whilst there so will just be chillin' and nursing the wounded tonight :-)

Not really -35 is ok, 40 is not for me. Matter of how an individual copes. To me 38 is about the turning point between being hot and being uncomfortably hot. I think 35 would be uncomfortable in the UK because there are so many people there and not much in the way of air con in cars, houses etc. Not a competition at all- just stating facts. Wonder why people have to have this infernal inferiority complex?
there is certainly no inferiority complex here I can assure you .....pot calling the kettle me thinks ....and no air con in cars ?.....what do you think this is 1973

Every post of yours lately is having a dig at the u.k .....you need a reality check

there is certainly no inferiority complex here I can assure you .....pot calling the kettle me thinks ....and no air con in cars ?.....what do you think this is 1973

Every post of yours lately is having a dig at the u.k .....you need a reality check

Funny, when I bought my old y reg Skoda in winter, I just assumed it had air con. Now I have a new Hyundai with climate control it is bliss.

This is is so funny! We're all boiling hot here due to having to stand shoulder to shoulder with each other and we're all cooking in our cars. It's strange, but not only do we have aircon or climate control in them now, some even have more than four gears and we don't have a man walking in front of us waving flags anymore :laugh:

We don't need aircon in our house as it has three feet thick stone walls and high ceilings, so it stays cool in the warm weather. It's a pain to keep warm in winter though - that's when I envy friends who have lovely, modern houses with triple glazing and proper insulation.

I'm with you on it's how the individual copes though. I love the heat (Perth's climate is my ideal) and living in the north of England doesn't really suit me at all, but when I mention it to people who love living here, they tell me how much they loathe the heat and much prefer cold weather. It just personal preference.

UK has one or two days a year you could call hot, today maybe one of those. A few years ago we went to Delhi in May......mistake! We headed out into surrounding deserts and temperatures hit 55 deg. As this year there were many reports of people dying in the street from the heat etc.

I'm fine with temperature, it is humidity which gets me as it drains all energy. Brisbane last/this year has been absolutely fine on the heat/humidity gauge and I'm loving the 20 degrees winter.

S