Is there a reccesion looming.

duffer34

Australia rode out the last big global recession thanks to Kevin Rudd and Wayne Swan's anti-austerity policies, cushioned by the resource revenues from China. This time we have a Finance minister hell-bent on fixing the deficit rather than keeping the economy ticking over, and the China resources boom is well and truly bust. Australia faces an economic recession, and yet property prices are likely to stay unaffordable for the average punter because the real estate market heavily favour investors. Negative gearing is giving $5bn in tax breaks to the landlords who can afford to buy second properties. Australia is a very backward looking country at the moment, still believing it can survive on resources and real estate. The country has had a very lucky couple of decades. The next 20 years may be much tougher.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Australia rode out the last big global recession thanks to Kevin Rudd and Wayne Swan's anti-austerity policies, cushioned by the resource revenues from China. This time we have a Finance minister hell-bent on fixing the deficit rather than keeping the economy ticking over, and the China resources boom is well and truly bust. Australia faces an economic recession, and yet property prices are likely to stay unaffordable for the average punter because the real estate market heavily favour investors. Negative gearing is giving $5bn in tax breaks to the landlords who can afford to buy second properties. Australia is a very backward looking country at the moment, still believing it can survive on resources and real estate. The country has had a very lucky couple of decades. The next 20 years may be much tougher.

I have to laugh at the comment about Rudd - giving people money to buy flat screens made in Asia did not save Oz. The mining industry saved Oz

Agreed - I wish people would specify under 'Location' - though I'm not sure where Helensvale is... I'm inferring Australia? :rolleyes:

Just edited to now say Helensvale, Gold Coast, Qld

Hopefully that'll help

Sorry for the confusion

I've lived in Perth most of my life

I guess there's a Brighton in Perth then?

Not sure if you are being ironic there? Estate agents always do this. More so in a bad market.

Damn you noticed lol

But isn't helensvale in Queensland? Different markets.

It sure is

I didn't think this thread was about one state just Australia in general

I can only comment as someone living in the UK, the reason there are many upbeat stories coming out of the UK is because things generally are much more upbeat. Most people we know seem to be much more positive. The cost of living is actually falling, measurably and people are generally better off. Of course that doesn't apply to everyone everywhere.

There's a reason for that and the reason is that people can't afford the goods and the prices have to fall. I suppose flag and a few more complain about the costs in Perth because we've had the opposite over the last 10 years or so. People with a fair bit of spare cash don't worry about prices, businesses realise and prices rise. If things do actually pick up in the UK and it's not just a feel better time of year, 'cos the sun has come out. I mean real things like people getting full time jobs and off zero hour contracts, Unions being able to negotiate a decent wage for people, then that will be a sign that things are on the up.

Downside of that is prices will start increasing and cost of living back up.

I wish the minimum wage was higher in the UK. Scandalous the way big business is being subsidised by the tax payer. No one who works full time should have to have their wages supplemented heavily by benefits. I suspect Australia's minimum wage is one of the reasons why there aren't foodbanks everywhere like in the UK.

There's a reason for that and the reason is that people can't afford the goods and the prices have to fall. I suppose flag and a few more complain about the costs in Perth because we've had the opposite over the last 10 years or so. People with a fair bit of spare cash don't worry about prices, businesses realise and prices rise. If things do actually pick up in the UK and it's not just a feel better time of year, 'cos the sun has come out. I mean real things like people getting full time jobs and off zero hour contracts, Unions being able to negotiate a decent wage for people, then that will be a sign that things are on the up.

fuel prices, rising pound and greater competition in that order.

Well that doesn't appear to be the case, again as someone living here. People certainly seem to be able to afford the goods. Cars are always a good indicator and new car sales continue to rise. Things have been picking up here for a couple of years now, maybe the news hasn't made it to Perth. People are getting full time Jobs and zero hours contracts account for only a small % of jobs and let's not forget many people like zero hours contracts. Jobs are being created at a record rate and of course that number will be made up of full and part time. You do seem to like to downplay any good news about this country for some reason. I am here and seeing things as they actually are.

Guest Guest66881
Well that doesn't appear to be the case, again as someone living here. People certainly seem to be able to afford the goods. Cars are always a good indicator and new car sales continue to rise. Things have been picking up here for a couple of years now, maybe the news hasn't made it to Perth. People are getting full time Jobs and zero hours contracts account for only a small % of jobs and let's not forget many people like zero hours contracts. Jobs are being created at a record rate and of course that number will be made up of full and part time. You do seem to like to downplay any good news about this country for some reason. I am here and seeing things as they actually are.

So why is everyone moaning about the migrants if the works available?

What we want/need are doctors and some nurses but not hairdressers, teachers, plumbers, carpenters etc- we seem to have plenty of our own who are unemployed.

I could never understand why hairdressers were on the list, seemingly permanently. Why are more allowed in when there are already loads in the dole queue ?

Looking round at Asia I would say wages will fall not go up. Why hire an Aussie when you can get a Chinese worker for half the price? Horrible but true.

With a bit of luck we will keep our high standards of people being able to work here, the unions will continue to be strong enough to get workers a good deal and the businesses that would love to employ a bunch of Chinese on low to poverty wages will be busted, Just like the case from Carabooda last year. You usually find it's other Chinese exploiting their fellow citizens.

No mate I'm always glad to hear good news coming out of the UK. The rest of our family are still there. I just get a bit fed up of all the doom and gloom posts written about Perth in particular, when the unemployment rate is not yet as bad as it is in the UK and the UK is supposed to be all rosy and upbeat.

No doubt I'll get the same posters coming back, saying but it's not going to last, Perth is going to have massive unemployment very soon. The same people have been predicting the downfall for years and seem to be waiting for Perth to turn into a wasteland so they can gloat or something.

In the meantime things are so tough that Tesco have just posted the biggest loss in corporate history. Something can't be right. I blame the management.:wink:

No mate I'm always glad to hear good news coming out of the UK. The rest of our family are still there. I just get a bit fed up of all the doom and gloom posts written about Perth in particular, when the unemployment rate is not yet as bad as it is in the UK and the UK is supposed to be all rosy and upbeat.

No doubt I'll get the same posters coming back, saying but it's not going to last, Perth is going to have massive unemployment very soon. The same people have been predicting the downfall for years and seem to be waiting for Perth to turn into a wasteland so they can gloat or something.

In the meantime things are so tough that Tesco have just posted the biggest loss in corporate history. Something can't be right. I blame the management.:wink:

So you get fed up with facts then? WA isn't in great shape due to declining mining boom. Doesn't matter what you and a few others personal experiences are at the minute.

So you get fed up with facts then? WA isn't in great shape due to declining mining boom. Doesn't matter what you and a few others personal experiences are at the minute.

Always glad to hear facts flag. I was posting in response to the "facts" that the UK is supposed to be doing great and we in lowly WA are doing it tough, supposedly.:cool:

Archived