I wanna go home

AngeB

I used to sit out in a kayak for 8 hrs with a 60 factor shirt on and never got burned............I wore an "Arofat" for the head and face. All I can say is that if you didn't do your homework before coming here, you deserve to look like a Pom (pomegranate)

I don't like wearing a hat and the fact sunscreen doesn't work so well when I'm sweating my tits off means that I didn't do my research?

Guess what... I did do my research, I'm still here and I'm sorry we don't all have the same experiences of living in Oz.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to sit out in a kayak for 8 hrs with a 60 factor shirt on and never got burned............I wore an "Arofat" for the head and face. All I can say is that if you didn't do your homework before coming here, you deserve to look like a Pom (pomegranate)

Why not sit in a tent and zip it up....? Spend all day out in it then

I don't like wearing a hat and the fact sunscreen doesn't work so well when I'm sweating my tits off means that I didn't do my research?

Guess what... I did do my research, I'm still here and I'm sorry we don't all have the same experiences of living in Oz.

If you did your research, what are you whingeing about.?.............unless you chose to ignore it, in which case, is your whinge justified?

Fair point I think, all the research in the world can't really prepare for just how extreme weather can be. Different people react to and handle situations differently.

Fair point I think, all the research in the world can't really prepare for just how extreme weather can be..

Care to extrapolate as to how, when it is well documented as to Oz's high rate of skin cancer and extreme variables in weather condition, that anyone didn't/shouldn't know what they were letting themslves in for?

Care to extrapolate as to how, when it is well documented as to Oz's high rate of skin cancer and extreme variables in weather condition, that anyone didn't/shouldn't know what they were letting themslves in for?

The first thing is...it can get hot in Oz.

if you are a pampy bamby in the sun....do not come.

there is tales of some not liking the sun and hiding indoors...

err:confused:

for others like myself, I love it.

Its like being on a 4 month holiday:rolleyes:

I didn't say that, I said all the research in the world can't prepare you for the extremes. I could read about it being given 40c in Melbourne but by reading about it and knowing about it doesn't make that 40c anymore bearable or comfortable.

I didn't say that, I said all the research in the world can't prepare you for the extremes. I could read about it being given 40c in Melbourne but by reading about it and knowing about it doesn't make that 40c anymore bearable or comfortable.

Really:confused:

so you never went to a hotter climate on hols, while living in the UK??

did you think, sh1t this stinks, can't cope with this.

Or did you think, this is ace, want more of this......hey lets get a visa for Aus ??

So you're saying that the average "reader" is thick? That the well documented facts of weather extremes in Oz just goes in one ear and out the other and that the reader prefers to base their experience on "phsical experience"? God help us! Google and Wlkepedia are redundant thanks to those thickos who prefer to experience it first hand!!!!!!!!!

Or did you think, this is ace, want more of this......hey lets get a visa for Aus ??[/QUOT

I've got to agree with this. For heavens sake it's a well known fact Australia is a country of great extremes. 40 degree heat is 40 degree heat - nothing is going to make that bearable if you don't like hot temperatures.

Or did you think, this is ace, want more of this......hey lets get a visa for Aus ??[/QUOT

I've got to agree with this. For heavens sake it's a well known fact Australia is a country of great extremes. 40 degree heat is 40 degree heat - nothing is going to make that bearable if you don't like hot temperatures.

Surely only a numpty would come if they Didnt like the heat.

yes.,,we can all outgrow places....so we move on

but to move somewhere like Aus, which gets hot, and then complain about......jeezo:laugh:

that makes me laugh

Surely only a numpty would come if they Didnt like the heat.

yes.,,we can all outgrow places....so we move on

but to move somewhere like Aus, which gets hot, and then complain about......jeezo:laugh:

that makes me laugh

I have to admit that I liked the dry heat in Perth far more than than the humidity on the east coast. I could work out in the garden in well over 30 degree heat quite happily in Perth but a humid 25C in Sydney made me wilt. I confess to being a big whinging wuss :tongue: Lovely warm summers down here though - not hot, just nice and warm :wink:

Or did you think, this is ace, want more of this......hey lets get a visa for Aus ??

I wasn't referring to me, I am fine with the heat.

I have to admit that I liked the dry heat in Perth far more than than the humidity on the east coast. I could work out in the garden in well over 30 degree heat quite happily in Perth but a humid 25C in Sydney made me wilt. I confess to being a big whinging wuss :tongue: Lovely warm summers down here though - not hot, just nice and warm :wink:

The dry heat in Perth works for me, when we have the odd few weeks of humidity its really hard, I remember one such day, I had to change my work clothes three times before even leaving the house:eek:

plus my hair goes real frizzy in humid temps :mad:

I don't mind humidity really, it can get a but tiring when it is high like up in Brisbane or further north. I have grown up in the heat and it doesn't bother me too much unless it gets right up in the 'this is really hot' part of the thermometer. It really is hard to imagine the extremes though until you actually experience them.

Experiencing the heat on a European holiday doesn't prepare you for the reality of living and working in Australian heat, especially in areas where it's humid (unlike Perth). On holiday you're not dressed in work clothes, and you're not exerting yourself. So yes, I have seen people on these forums who loved the heat on their Spanish holidays and expected to love it in Oz, but don't.

Experiencing the heat on a European holiday doesn't prepare you for the reality of living and working in Australian heat, especially in areas where it's humid (unlike Perth). On holiday you're not dressed in work clothes, and you're not exerting yourself. So yes, I have seen people on these forums who loved the heat on their Spanish holidays and expected to love it in Oz, but don't.

Spot on.

Bit different to being on hols for a week or two, and having to work and live it for months on end. Tbh the hear gets to me by the end of summer.

Couldn't get enough of the heat 8 years ago. Now missing the seasons and finding summers a bit restricting. People change.

people go on holiday on spain or greece and experience 40 degree heat whilst lying next to a pool sipping a cool beer and think "this is the life" and wonder why all the locals are in the shade or fully clothed or looking rather pale without a tan.....then they live and work in it and ohhh boy does it hit them....months of humid hot weather is horrible..the 2 weeks on holiday was a big lie.

Edited by Perthbum

Yes exactly, I honestly thought it was pretty obvious when I said this.

In all honesty I am not really looking forward to the extreme heat and humidity of the Brisbane summer when I live there and don't really know what it will be like to deal with it, but I hate the cold and damp prevalent in the UK for much of the year so it will be a trade-off, essentially. I may actually find it ok but if not I will just enjoy the other 9 months of the year where temperatures will be more temperate.