I wanna go home

AngeB

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Afternoon from a sunny england for once, ange im so sorry to hear life has been so difficult for you in OZ, have you thought of trying elsewhere in oz first , try moving area, try the northcairns or sunshine coast. Were told HR is very short over there,,, this is the reason why im a little concerned my hubby is in his 40s and if he cannot secure that good well paid job , then its sacrificing money which is for my retirement. I must get well over 200 jobs a day for headchef or executive chef. .

Its a long way to co e home ange I dont blame you for wanting too though, but if it was me id try other regions id even try New Zeland before dong the return trip back to the uk.

Maybe your daughter can get work from home, or do herself a book to get recognition and demand for her skills.

Take care sweetheart i hope you manaage to secure the life we all believe exists in OZ.

Carol.

Guest Amelie
So much to think about just to go home, it looks like I'm stuck :-( My story, if anyone is interested, is that I've always had trouble getting work in the 11 years I've been in Perth, West Australia, I'm a payroll/HR/Office Manager, Bookkeeper, business owner etc. etc. I left a great job in the UK. I'm 55 now, single, and have applied for over 1000 jobs in the year that I've been unemployed and hardly ever get replies. When I do get an interview, I don't get the job, could it be that I'm in that old age group here in Oz or because I still have an English accent. My age is not on my Resume!!! I have a professional Resume and letters that I send out, and I'm, totally sick of being broke!

To survive, I bought my own job in 2012, I sold my house and bought a medium sized business and employed 10 people, including myself and my daughter. I was in the wrong spot for the business and it became insolvent last March.

I've offerred my time volunteering, my passion is conservation and wildlife, but I would have to pay them to be their volunteer!!

My friends treat me differently and I rarely go out anymore due to lack of funds. I am becoming totally isolated and not feeling too good about life in general. I feel like I don't fit in here.

I have two kids, both grown up, both here, the're great. My daughter, who I live with is also single, an extremely talented illustrator and is also, still unemployed, she wants to go home too.

The question is will we be better off there?? I just don't know, but if I stay here, I'm going to sink in every way. I'm so over it!

Hi AngeB, as others have suggested, maybe look into moving to another state?

Also, New Zealand's economy seems to be picking up and they are advertising their country as 'island of innovation'. I noticed through LinkedIn, organisations based in NZ are advertising their jobs to international job seekers through a site called 'work here' - http://www.workhere.co.nz

So much to think about just to go home, it looks like I'm stuck :-( My story, if anyone is interested, is that I've always had trouble getting work in the 11 years I've been in Perth, West Australia, I'm a payroll/HR/Office Manager, Bookkeeper, business owner etc. etc. I left a great job in the UK. I'm 55 now, single, and have applied for over 1000 jobs in the year that I've been unemployed and hardly ever get replies. When I do get an interview, I don't get the job, could it be that I'm in that old age group here in Oz or because I still have an English accent. My age is not on my Resume!!! I have a professional Resume and letters that I send out, and I'm, totally sick of being broke!

To survive, I bought my own job in 2012, I sold my house and bought a medium sized business and employed 10 people, including myself and my daughter. I was in the wrong spot for the business and it became insolvent last March.

I've offerred my time volunteering, my passion is conservation and wildlife, but I would have to pay them to be their volunteer!!

My friends treat me differently and I rarely go out anymore due to lack of funds. I am becoming totally isolated and not feeling too good about life in general. I feel like I don't fit in here.

I have two kids, both grown up, both here, the're great. My daughter, who I live with is also single, an extremely talented illustrator and is also, still unemployed, she wants to go home too.

The question is will we be better off there?? I just don't know, but if I stay here, I'm going to sink in every way. I'm so over it!

I'm sorry to say that 55 is a tough age to get a regular job anywhere. If you don't have a network of contacts in the UK then you may end up with the same issue. There are plenty of jobs in London but then could you actually afford to live anywhere near London. Whereabouts in the UK did you come from?

Given your situation and that you can't leave the cats it does appear that you may be stuck.

This may be a dumb question (but I will be 55 when I land up over in Brisbane so am interested), have you tried temping or looking at zero hours type arrangements? Though these are not reliable as a source of income I wondered if they were easier to get especially for the more mature employee.

I sympathise hugely,getting a job past 50 is a heartache in oz that's why there are so many old people working in Bunnings and the equive.

My wife is 50+ but got the 5th job she interviewer for here and was down to the last 2 in i a couple of others, not a fantastic job but paid reasonable and is a stepping stone.

Look at my other post before you jump but I was lucky enough not to have to keep on trying whilst I was there once i got to 61 because of my wife's job but i do sympathise.

I'm sorry to say that 55 is a tough age to get a regular job anywhere. If you don't have a network of contacts in the UK then you may end up with the same issue. There are plenty of jobs in London but then could you actually afford to live anywhere near London. Whereabouts in the UK did you come from?

Given your situation and that you can't leave the cats it does appear that you may be stuck.

This may be a dumb question (but I will be 55 when I land up over in Brisbane so am interested), have you tried temping or looking at zero hours type arrangements? Though these are not reliable as a source of income I wondered if they were easier to get especially for the more mature employee.

Sorry to say i was in Brissie but couldn't get anything in 2009 at 61, after having a number of temp jobs, temping dried up eve, otherwise it was literally working in the equiv of Band Q and I have a degree,and 25 years of management experience in building maintenance management.

I believe oz employers don't like older workers because they don't brownnose enough, nobody changes jobs once they are 40-45 in oz they stay until they get made redundant.

I may be overstating the situation but do be prepared, self employment is one option

Temping other than thro an agency is not really hit oz yet where the unions are still very strong and employment conditions and pay scales are mandated by the states so not a lot of flexible working

Sorry to say i was in Brissie but couldn't get anything in 2009 at 61, after having a number of temp jobs, temping dried up eve, otherwise it was literally working in the equiv of Band Q and I have a degree,and 25 years of management experience in building maintenance management.

I believe oz employers don't like older workers because they don't brownnose enough, nobody changes jobs once they are 40-45 in oz they stay until they get made redundant.

I may be overstating the situation but do be prepared, self employment is one option

Temping other than thro an agency is not really hit oz yet where the unions are still very strong and employment conditions and pay scales are mandated by the states so not a lot of flexible working

Thanks for the heads up. To be fair my expectation levels are low and we can get by without working probably. We had discussed running our own business but every idea we kick around ends up with working all hours and the aim for us at the moment is to wind down. That said I still don't know how easy I will find my life of leisure as I have worked all my life since leaving school at 16 with an average of about 1 sick day per year in 39 years.

Thanks for the heads up. To be fair my expectation levels are low and we can get by without working probably. We had discussed running our own business but every idea we kick around ends up with working all hours and the aim for us at the moment is to wind down. That said I still don't know how easy I will find my life of leisure as I have worked all my life since leaving school at 16 with an average of about 1 sick day per year in 39 years.

I've thought about starting a business many times but as you say, most small businesses means long hours, unless you're going to get into MLM or pyramid schemes and my conscience won't let me go near them. Unless you're a city slicker like me, have you thought about looking at a smaller town where house prices would be low, making it less likely you'd need to work?

I'm so sorry, it sounds like you're in a really tough spot. I think you have only two choices - go home without your cats, or stay in Perth, try to get (or create) work, and save until you have enough money to take them all with you.

I know how job rejections can leave you feeling hopelessly depressed and sometimes, it means you can't see other solutions. You're a bookkeeper - have you tried putting postcards on community noticeboards offering your services? All you need is an ABN and a laptop with some bookkeeping software on it. There are hundreds of little businesses out there with their receipts in shoeboxes. I've been well paid just for setting up businesses on Quickbooks - they think I'm a miracle worker!

Get some postcards or flyers printed up on Vistaprint (they're very cheap if you look out for their special offers and use their designs). Dress smartly, walk down the high street and introduce yourself to every shop owner and business owner. You may get only one or two customers from a whole street but hey, two customers is better than none. Repeat the process in other suburbs.

The bookkeeping is probably the quickest way to get some income, but I think you're perfectly placed to launch a business I once considered. Take a look at http://expensereduction.com.au/. You've got all the skills and experience to do the same thing for small businesses, except that you'd charge them a flat fee rather than the rip-off percentage rates charged by the big boys. Again, you don't need an office, or staff. You just need you, some business cards, a Powerpoint presentation on a laptop, and some shoe leather. If you don't get clients, how much have you really lost - except a bit of your time, and you've got plenty of that right now?

Are you registered with every temp agency in Perth? Ring each one and say you want an appointment - don't be fobbed of with a phone conversation. Go in dressed for an interview ask them what you can do to increase your chances of getting temp work. They may give you useful advice - but even if they don't, just meeting the consultant increases your chances of getting hired, because now they know you and are more likely to remember you when a job comes up. If there are any agencies you're not registered with, go register - and again, walk in, don't fill out an online form.

As for perm jobs - are you sure that resume company was a good one? For instance, if your whole job history is listed, that gives away your age even though it's not stated. If you were 35, you'd have only 15 years' job history so that's all you should ever show. And I hope the dates of your qualifications aren't given! Do you write a personal cover letter for every application? Does the letter explain, in bullet points, how you satisfy each individual requirement stated in the job ad?

If all this sounds too hard, then I really think you need to sit down and examine your motives for not leaving the cats. I know it's hard - but you're leaving a daughter, aren't you? Cats, just like daughters, are able to go out in the world and form new relationships when you are gone. They will always remember you with love, but if you've chosen the right home for them, the will grow to love their new pet - I mean owner. Dogs get extremely attached, but I've never heard a tale of a cat keeping vigil by a grave, have you?

Thanks Marisawright and everyone else for your comments and advice. I have attempted all of the above during my year of unemployment, all to no avail. It leaves you feeling flat and un-enthusiastic, but I will keep going and keep on trying to earn a living somehow here in Perth.

You got it in one with regards the brown nosing scenario. Ageism is alive and well in the OZ work place and unlikely to dissipate any time soon. Younger under 25 and older in those over 45 seem to have the problems. Many employers far prefer to employ the more docile 457's or even direct from abroad than those already landed or originate from here.

Thanks Marisawright and everyone else for your comments and advice. I have attempted all of the above during my year of unemployment, all to no avail. It leaves you feeling flat and un-enthusiastic, but I will keep going and keep on trying to earn a living somehow here in Perth.

Perth can be a tough gig to crack if not in nursing or labouring. Here's wishing you luck though.

• 2 weeks later...
I know how you feel I have been in Aus since 1993. I loved it over here, met my wife had children etc...BUT we have been back to the UK twice in the last two years to visit family and relatives and I now feel really homesick and unsettled. It is not pleasant to feel like you don't fit in here anymore. I miss family, castles, old buildings, European history, (did I mention family?), the seasons, proper beer in a proper pub in front of a real fire.

I hate feeling like someone is pointing a blowtorch at my skin whenever I go out in the sun because of its intensity, yes I know about sun block blah blah blah but try getting your teenager kids interested in putting the stuff on when your back is turned. I will feel personally responsible if they get skin cancers in the future. I don't like sand in my sandwiches. I would so much rather look at a pretty thatched country farmhouse than an opulent modern soulless monstrosity in Vaucluse with "Sea views". The saying you can take a person out of a country, but not the country out of the person is so true... I guess that makes me a whinging homesick Pomm.....

Is it just me or does the sun in Oz feel like a blow torch even with sunscreen on?

Edited by MelbourneTractor

Is it just me or does the sun in Oz feel like a blow torch even with sunscreen on?

That is one of the reasons I left, the overbearing heat did not suit me at all and it was just to hot to do any running which I do every day, The last 6 or 7 weeks have been perfect for me, it has felt really warm like it does today and it is only 18 degrees.

That is one of the reasons I left, the overbearing heat did not suit me at all and it was just to hot to do any running which I do every day, The last 6 or 7 weeks have been perfect for me, it has felt really warm like it does today and it is only 18 degrees.

The heat doesn't bother me, but I run everyday as well and I don't enjoy having to plan my runs around avoiding sunburn!

I can't stand wearing a hat whilst running and sunscreen only does so much.

I used to sit out in a kayak for 8 hrs with a 60 factor shirt on and never got burned............I wore an "Arofat" for the head and face. All I can say is that if you didn't do your homework before coming here, you deserve to look like a Pom (pomegranate)

I dare say it has changed a lot over the years but I worked in London in 1976 which had one of those long hot summers which people still talk about. Nothing was set up for the heat. No air-conditioning in the office, stifling in the tube and even the trees looked grey and dusty. I felt far more uncomfortable during that summer than I ever did here. It was such a relief to escape on August Bank Holiday to Scotland where it was much fresher and cooler.

Guest guest30085

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

But I thought Stratford in Heaven was glorious most of the year ......

Or was that South Africa ....:wideeyed:

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

But I thought Stratford in Heaven was glorious most of the year ......

Or was that South Africa ....:wideeyed:

No, it doesn't get hot in S Africa...............must've been a shift worker who slept during the day and worked nights............with air conditioning during the day, of course!

I dare say it has changed a lot over the years but I worked in London in 1976 which had one of those long hot summers which people still talk about. Nothing was set up for the heat. No air-conditioning in the office, stifling in the tube and even the trees looked grey and dusty. I felt far more uncomfortable during that summer than I ever did here. It was such a relief to escape on August Bank Holiday to Scotland where it was much fresher and cooler.

Haha hahaah almost 40 years ago..... yes the uk may have moved on from then , you never know they may have air con and traffic lights now days.