Property bubble

Captain Roberto

Hey Maruska, so you made it over to Oz... Good on ya. I really do hope you enjoy it here although I fear we may start to see more posts like this from you?

I did try and convey the situation here in no un-certain terms to you a while back. Yes, the place looks nice (although I disagree for the most part regards Sydney) but, unfortunately that's it for the time being.

How have you found (when compared to TX);

- Traffic (Ok, more of it in Houston but more roads so I would say even on that)

- Cost of car rego ($1000 here, $45 there)

- Cost of petrol ($5 gallon here, $2 there)

- Rent ($500 week here, $1200 month there)

- Eating out (not even worth typing it out)

- Drinks ($10 pint here, anywhere from $2.50 there)

- Family stuff to do (not got one myself but basically Sydney has a beach....)

I think one of the things that would be interesting for you to provide us updates on is how you feel regards the concept that, at no point, can you live in a house as nice as those in the middle income bracket areas of Texas. May sounds an odd observation but I really am interested as I have a hypothesis that this fact is contributing to hell of alot of the tension and aggressiveness in Aussie society. i.e. "it doesn't matter how hard I work, I will NEVER be in position to live in a nice house in a nice suburb" .....

Yes, we are off again in 2x weeks. Looking forward to being back in a (relatively) normal economy where me and the Mrs can once again go for a cheap drink, have a tex mex with FREE chips and dip etc etc etc etc etc...

I have to say that I was still a bit surprised by how expensive everything was when we came over, even after doing an extensive research.

1) traffic - doesn`t bother me, I take the train to work as we are on the train line. Adding some lanes might be beneficial ( here in the Sutherland Shire) but I am not missing the monstrous Houston highways with 8 lanes at all:smile:. I remember driving from Houston to Pasadena to pick up my husband on his last day and for 20 minutes, at a speed of 70 miles/hour, you see ( and smell) ugly refineries.

2) cost of car rego - painful, definitely painful. We have only one car here as we don`t need another one due to good public transport but still more expensive than US

3) cost of petrol - more expensive here, ends up being even for us as we don`t drive long distances during the week and mainly use the car to do daycare and school drop offs/pick ups

4) rent - my personal pet peeve :chatterbox:. We used to pay 1100 a month mortgage, now we pay 2280/month for rent of a place which is by far not as nice as the one we used to have. We chose to move to this ( more expensive compared to some other areas) place due to good school zone , ability to walk to facilities and entertainment and proximity to places we like - national park 20 min. away, peaceful beautiful surroundings. Pretty sure we`ll have to move out if we ever want to buy though.

5) eating out - found some places that aren`t horribly expensive. I am finding especially Asian food much better here than in Houston, on the other side, there is no comparison to Houston`s Mexican/Tex mex! Still missing that.

6) drinks - we don`t go to bars and I am OK with spending the occasional 8$ on a glass of wine

7) family stuff to do - here we come to the main difference I think. We do a whole lot more water based activities here than we did in Houston. We have a choice of beaches we can go to even for a quick dip after work/school. Love camping and went to some pretty amazing places here , in fact going again for a week over Easter. School and day care have plenty of activities for the kids and the whole family is encouraged to get involved, I find that really nice. In Houston, we basically run out of things to do after being there for 8 years. Texas Hill country is nice enough, been there several times, and Austin. The ocean at Galveston is polluted, brown colored muck. The beach (especially on the weekend) crowded and dirty. People in Texas were generally very nice and friendly and so are Australians so far :).

I do somehow agree with the "I will never be in a position to buy a nice house in a nice suburb", we are looking into more regional areas at the moment to see if anything would suit. We moved here for the change and so far, it`s been great for our family as an experience. The thing is, if we moved back to the US, we wouldn`t be going back to Texas and the places we`ve considered before moving to AUS were California and Washington state, not known for their cheap lifestyles lol.

I just miss my Tex Mex, yes with free chips and salsa. BTW any chance you could be going to Chuy`s???? Snap a photo of the steak burrito pleeeease :laugh:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to get over there on holiday one day. Maybe not TX but LA? My son has been a few times. He went to a music concert in Miami last year which has just been on again. He told me he live streamed it last weekend. He's been to LA and New York too. He really liked New York.

New York is great! Went there when we still didn`t have kids and it was awesome, really exciting place. I`ve met some aussies here who did a road trip from coast to coast and they liked it.

Your kidding, the U.S. has a debt it cannot repay, only a matter of time before it goes bust. Only so long you can carry on borrowing billions. The world I'm afraid is heading towards a depression triggered by the U.S. going bust

Who will send the bailiffs around?

The company I work for have just opened their Perth Office, also having just won a few construction projects in and around Perth too. I would not have thought they would invest in a shrinking economy, if they have then maybe setting themselves up for the future!

How long does it take to plan a large construction project exactly?

How long does it take to plan a large construction project exactly?

Not quite sure of your question there newjez? we are a construction company so we only plan the construction stage if we have won the contract. But the project itself from initial idea's/needs/dreams conception stage to construction stage can take months or years, as there are so many variable factors involved and even then it could be shelved.

No worries Maruska - I will be, and I will.....

If you are looking regional - I would highly recommend Newcastle, NSW. From memory you are in health care? The John Hunter hospital up here is massive and a big employer. Newcastle is great, like Sydney but;

1) Far less people

2) Far less attitude

3) Far less expensive houses

4) Far less crowded beaches

A really great place up here....

Not quite sure of your question there newjez? we are a construction company so we only plan the construction stage if we have won the contract. But the project itself from initial idea's/needs/dreams conception stage to construction stage can take months or years, as there are so many variable factors involved and even then it could be shelved.

Did you know in China they build a 57 storey building in 19 days ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2989769/Building-skyscraper-Lego-style-Chinese-firm-builds-57-storey-block-record-19-days-rate-three-floors-day.html

The property market seems to be very uneven just now. It is still going up where we are but some of the city areas have dropped. One of my children built a house about 8 years ago for 400.000 and it is now worth around 1.5 mill- not bad for them! They live about 10 k from us and the same house here would be approx half the cost. I really don't know how young ones afford anything though- the 'entry level' is now 450,000 and that is something pretty basic really. Can't see my grandchildren ever affording anything at all . Maybe if they got rid of negative gearing it would help and more lower cost properties would be in the market?

The property market seems to be very uneven just now. It is still going up where we are but some of the city areas have dropped. One of my children built a house about 8 years ago for 400.000 and it is now worth around 1.5 mill- not bad for them! They live about 10 k from us and the same house here would be approx half the cost. I really don't know how young ones afford anything though- the 'entry level' is now 450,000 and that is something pretty basic really. Can't see my grandchildren ever affording anything at all . Maybe if they got rid of negative gearing it would help and more lower cost properties would be in the market?

No. Rents would just go up significantly.

No worries Maruska - I will be, and I will.....

If you are looking regional - I would highly recommend Newcastle, NSW. From memory you are in health care? The John Hunter hospital up here is massive and a big employer. Newcastle is great, like Sydney but;

1) Far less people

2) Far less attitude

3) Far less expensive houses

4) Far less crowded beaches

A really great place up here....

And far less going on, you ccan't really compare it to Sydney

It's just that the economic climate in Perth two years ago is very different to today, but this is an awful lot of construction going on. I have heard people refer to the sky scraper effect - where very tall buildings herald impending doom. I doubt there is a correlation, but it may be that these buildings take so long to get to a construction phase, that they are still being built even when the economy has turned and there is no immediate need for them.

It's just that the economic climate in Perth two years ago is very different to today, but this is an awful lot of construction going on. I have heard people refer to the sky scraper effect - where very tall buildings herald impending doom. I doubt there is a correlation, but it may be that these buildings take so long to get to a construction phase, that they are still being built even when the economy has turned and there is no immediate need for them.
the building trade is always last in and last out of a recession

Guest Guest66881

They only build what people have put pen to paper/money on, so some have the money or finances in place.

Another round the corner from us SOLD the other day, for more than it was advertised at too, again money from somewhere?

Pretty much right. The CBD construction phase has been en train since before the height of the boom. House prices are down a little over 2% only other state to record a fall was QLD which came in at 0.5%. Both the mining states. More to follow. More apartment buildings are planned though close to city. Rather evident which market it is being principally aimed at.

the building trade is always last in and last out of a recession

Tax incentives and memories of boom times are furthering housing investment speculation for now. Perth has had a decline in price but still small. I note a house is still on the market today after inspecting a week ago. Unlikely to have been the case a year or so back. Plenty looking just more caution it would appear. At least in Perth.

No actually that is often throwing in as an argument and is nonsense. The money saved on the tax payer subsidising housing speculators could easily be used to increase rent allowance or build affordable houses.

Landlords will charge whatever they can get away with doing the least possible. Time for the rort to cease and proper rental protection laws come into place as in other countries.

No actually that is often throwing in as an argument and is nonsense. The money saved on the tax payer subsidising housing speculators could easily be used to increase rent allowance or build affordable houses.

Landlords will charge whatever they can get away with doing the least possible. Time for the rort to cease and proper rental protection laws come into place as in other countries.

It has happened before here. It is exactly what happened and neg gearing quickly reintroduced.

This happened when Bob Hawke was PM.

Edited by parleycross

Would they?

If investors pulled out the market then it's likely that rental properties would be sold onto owner occupiers. That would reduce rental demand.

Secondly, rents are elastic. If they go up then people will buddy up for house shares. Furthermore, there are hard limits as to what people can actually pay. I can't see the rents in Sydney doubling overnight as people are already stretched there. Somewhere like Melbourne would have more headroom.

It has happened before here. It is exactly what happened and neg gearing quickly reintroduced.

This happened when Bob Hawke was PM.

I know what happened and when. It was poorly administered. You can't tell me Australia being one of only three countries in the world that has this out lived policy, cannot under present housing economic crisis conditions finally reign it in. Canada another country with same tax payer funded rorts also has grossly inflated housing. Needs to be stopped now.