Moving without visting Australia????

Hodgies2Oz

Hi there.

I am looking for advice please.

Has anyone moved to Australia, particularly the Brisbane area, without going out there first to visit???

I am quite happy to go to Brisbane after researching LOADS but my husband is adamant that we go out there first to check out everything. He is much more of a worrier than me. Has anyone else just gone for it and then checked out the areas once you are there, or am I being really stupid?

I think if we rent first then we can look into the exact area but is this realistic??? Any help appreciated. :arghh:

Well plenty of people do emigrate without having stepped a foot in the place,including my own parents! Hmm pro's and cons I think either way.You could visit,love it and then make plans to move,or...you could visit and it might change your mind!:laugh:Personally either way,keep your mind open and expectations realistic.If you do visit remember you are in "holiday mode"and its abit diff when you're actually living there.You can of course use Google Earth to virtually visit places.Good for looking up houses you might see on the web and want to check out the area.I don't think a visit is the be all and end all myself.You would probably only visit the "touristy"places anyway which is nice in itself but there is more to Aus than those.If you can afford it,I'd probably head over for a couple of weeks.

Thank you Jacaranda.

I have suggested my hubby goes over for a good look round as I work in a school so its really expensive when I am not working. He can go anytime and then its cheaper, he can also see for himself. I have looked on so many websites about Brisbane and I am positive we would be happy there - but Google Earth is a good idea. Thank you xx

We came to Brisbane having never set foot in the area and, just over 6 months in, we all still love it!! We had a 3 week holiday let to start with and spent all our time finding suburbs and areas we liked - it helped that we knew where my husband would be working. Secured a rental in the Bayside area as we decided it was best for the trainline and my husbands job and now we have just moved into our house we have bought here!! Staying the first nights after we arrived on the 71st floor of the Meriton Hotel in the CBD certainly helped us fall in love with the place, as we woke up to the most amazing skyline!!

I love the feel of the city, the weather (can be a bit too muggy sometimes), the people. The area we live is nice, fairly quiet, easy access to the trainline, close to the beach.

I can understand your husband's worry, if he is that type of person. We just took the plunge and are lucky it all worked out.

Google Earth is ok, but it's a snapshot of just that time the car went down the street - you can't tell much!!

I just came to Sydney without ever having set foot in the Southern Hemisphere before. So far, so good.

I also worked in India for 4 years before that, and I'd never visited before going there either.

If you have a sense of adventure (and probably - no kids), then why not? Nobody's asking you to sign in blood that you will stay forever.

We came for a recce but the main reason was to sort out a school for our daughter. You don't mention whether you have kids but I would imagine that if you do not then it is much less of an issue whether you have been there before.

If you have not been to Oz though what has made you settle on Brisbane for location?

Thanks everyone. I do have children, I have an 11 year old and a 9 year old. Both are very excited about a move so they are not an issue as long as we can settle in an area with a good school (which I will obivously research). The main areas for my husbands work are Brisbane and Sydney and from the two, I get the impression that Brisbane would be more suited to us and that is why I have focussed on that area. x

I went to Perth WA 3 years ago for 6 weeks and fell in love. I've been working in skilled employment ever since to get the visa I need. I am now coming up to that point where it's closer than ever!

I visited Perth again this December / January. Still want to live there.

Best of luck :)

We visited the Sunshine Coast prior to our visa grant and although a beautiful place it couldn't offer us the job prospects for our skills .Brisbane was the place that offered the most job prospects for my husband whom was the visa pr applicant . We were going to head to Brisbane but on grant of our visa we decided to come to the Gold Coast on a temporary visit( personal circumstances) . We've been here nearly three years now .. My hubby commutes daily to Brisbane from the north end of the Gold Coast and life is sweet . Personally I think visiting an area will give you a heads up but won't give you a realistic view of living and working there . I think your husbands worries coupled with your balance of positivity and research will stand you both good to just come out here and make a go of it . You could always look at is as a long stay reccie

Hi there.

I am looking for advice please.

Has anyone moved to Australia, particularly the Brisbane area, without going out there first to visit???

I am quite happy to go to Brisbane after researching LOADS but my husband is adamant that we go out there first to check out everything. He is much more of a worrier than me. Has anyone else just gone for it and then checked out the areas once you are there, or am I being really stupid?

I think if we rent first then we can look into the exact area but is this realistic??? Any help appreciated. :arghh:

G'day mate, I went to Smellbum first, then to Perth, The City Of Light for an adventure...52 years later I'm still having an adventure...

yeah.gif

One piece of advice; Enjoy your life out here, it can be truly fantastic, as I have found out.

Like your attitude, young lady.thumbs.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Hodgies2oz

Just thought I would say hi! We are in the same position. We are just starting this process. I am a Secondary Teacher and I am just collating my documents for visa assessment. I sit my IETLS exam at the end of March and have now informed my HT in my current school of our plans. My plan is to take a year out initially and see how it goes. Although we are applying for 189 visas. Decided to take things a year at a time. What stage are you guys at? And when would you plan to go?

I have to say my wee heid is bursting with all the paperwork and phone calls to get the paperwork together we are with the Visa Agents Go Matilda!

Lisa

I went to Perth WA 3 years ago for 6 weeks and fell in love. I've been working in skilled employment ever since to get the visa I need. I am now coming up to that point where it's closer than ever!

I visited Perth again this December / January. Still want to live there.

Best of luck :)

Which just goes to show how different we all are :smile:. For us that first visit to Perth was really exciting, and we fully expected to be swept off our feet by Australia having heard so much from family happily settled there. And it was a great holiday, made all the better for catching up with family but at no point, then or since, did we feel that life would be better if we made the move.

That very first visit was a little surreal in some respects as just about everyone, family and their friends, assumed we would see life through their eyes and be keen to trade our lifestyle in the UK for a life in Aus. It felt as though everyone was part of a secret we just didn’t get. I remember trying to explain to a very happy newly arrived expat that yes I could see she was over the moon with her new life, no we weren’t looking to move too, yes we really did enjoy life in the UK and no, the weather wasn’t a deal breaker for us……the tumbleweed moments came thick and fast! But I also discovered she had only ever lived in her hometown and her views of the UK were mainly based on a lifetime of living in the same area, doing the same things, and thinking there must be more to life. We had similar thoughts at one point but moved just a few hundred miles and found ourselves in an area we love. Home is definitely where the heart is, which makes preferred location a very personal choice. Tx

^^^ Great post .............. we have friends/family who come here for holidays but have no interest at all in living here. They enjoy their lives in the UK. When we first came to Australia I met with many people from the UK who had migrated and I got fed up listening to how fabulous life was for them here. Maybe it was for some of them but I also saw a lot of separations/divorces/people returning to the UK.

No, you're not being stupid, but I think you're missing one important point. You can research good and bad areas, schools, job opportunities etc, - but have you researched whether Australia will match your expectations?

Why are you moving to Australia? What do you expect it to offer that Britain doesn't? Have you written that list down and researched it?

Sure, you can arrive, rent and look around for the right area to live. But what if you get here and discover that Australia isn't what you expected at all? What if you don't like the attitude of the people, or your oh can't cope with the humidity, or the costs are far higher than you expected, or you suddenly realise how hard it is to be thousands of miles from family?

It will cost you at least $50,000 to move to Australia, by the time you've thrown stuff away, paid for fees, air fares, shipping, temporary accommodation when you arrive, a new car, living expenses until you find a job, and setting up home again. If you discover you've made an awful mistake, it will cost you the same again to go home - that's a huge chunk out of your family's future. Don't get me wrong, the majority of migrants do settle and are happy, but a significant minority don't. With a family in tow, you can't afford to get it wrong - so in the scheme of things, a few thousand on a recce isn't a lot.

I wouldn't be sending him on his own, either - what will you do if he comes back and says it's horrible, let's not do it? Will you be willing to accept his word?

We were going to migrate without visiting due to cost and wanting to save as much as we could for the actual move. Thank fully Wanted Down Under offered us a trip out for their TV show so we got a quick look around in the end.

If you do come without visiting first ,i see no real issue, just make sure you have temp accommodation booked for 4 - 6 weeks so you can have a good drive around varying suburbs and check out schools.

Cal x

I don't know why you would. Its expensive and a long way away, what if you don't like it? The only reason I would ever do it is if it was a 'posting.' IE I was send there temporarily as part of my job. Otherwise, permanently? No way. Not without a good long visit first to scope the place out.

Archived