Cost of Living in Australia 2015

Guest The Pom Queen

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Melbourne the top private schools are very, very expensive- $25,000 plus per annum and then you have the trips, the uniforms, the ipads etc. Food varies a lot depending on whether you shop at Aldi, Coles, Woolworths or local markets. Bread is $3 just now because there is a price war on! Milk and sausages are also very cheap for the same reason. Not that you'd want Coles sausages.

I thought it may help people moving over to get an idea of cost of living. It is a question that comes up a lot and everyone always has differing views. So if you can answer the questions below and include what area you are in and if you are single or a family.

Cost of a hotel? Know this one well as, living a couple of hours from Perth we have stayed in a few for special occasions. Cheap room $200 Good room $300 special room $500+

Cost of Public Transport? About $24 a day

Price of a coffee? Don't drink it

Price of a Beer? Local charges about $9. Have paid $15 in the city

Price of a Loaf of Bread? I make my own for about $1

Price of Milk? $2

Price of fuel? So variable here - paid $1.1 last week, today it was $1.4

Price of a 4 bed rental? About $450 - 500 in a decent area.

Prive of a 4 bed house to buy? About half a million.

Electric costs per quarter? Don't know and dare not ask

Gas costs per quarter? As above

Water costs per quarter? As above

Rates per year? About to find out as move into our first own home

House Insurance? As above

Car Insurance? About $600 a year. 7 year no claims and advanced driver

Internet? $30 a month on a pay as you go for an iPad and slow as hell.

Food costs per week? $250 a week though can blow out a lot. Might give an idea based on this weeks menu:

roast pork with a salad

left over roast pork stir fry

other pork used for lunch sandwiches for week

chilli con carne

left over chilli used for a Mexican - tacos with salad and things

left over used for lunch.

thai chicken we get free herbs and chilli once a week.

Peruvian spagetthei chicken legs already in freezer

musles in red wine of chilli (yet to decide) doing it tomorrow if I can can get a good deal.

shopping done one at mix of markets and spudshed and hinting for things on a budget. Cost this week about $305 but includes milk, eggs (we use a lot), kitchen wipes, toilet roles.

School Fees? No idea.

Please feel free to add to this list.

building, so on top of rent paying $3k mortgage. Dog, will need $30 of food (only once a month) dare not give debts as we are unemployed! Escalating to the point of dread pretty quick.

^^^ Same here, no mortgage, no debts. Only buy stuff like detergents, loo rolls etc in supermarkets. Buy all fruit and veg at the local farms and orchards - first class quality and far cheaper. I don't eat much meat and OH buys what he wants at the butchers. Not on pension so self funded. We worked hard all our lives and now life is just one big long holiday.

^^^ Same here, no mortgage, no debts. Only buy stuff like detergents, loo rolls etc in supermarkets. Buy all fruit and veg at the local farms and orchards - first class quality and far cheaper. I don't eat much meat and OH buys what he wants at the butchers. Not on pension so self funded. We worked hard all our lives and now life is just one big long holiday.

Love the strawberry farm up there! ..... And the cherry shed!

Love the strawberry farm up there! ..... And the cherry shed!

Me too ............ and heading out to Shearwater, there are numerous farms selling veggies just out of the fields also raspberries and blueberries. Get eggs from a farm where the hens are out in the fields scratching around.

I would have imagined rain is plentiful in Tasmania.

It's nothing to do with the availability of resource: it's all about the cost of infrastructure and maintenance for these utilities these days....or so they tell us. :rolleyes: :skeptical:

99% of the available water source for Hobart flows past it and out to sea - at an average rate of 90 cubic metres a second.

It's nothing to do with the availability of resource: it's all about the cost of infrastructure and maintenance for these utilities these days....or so they tell us. :rolleyes: :skeptical:

99% of the available water source for Hobart flows past it and out to sea - at an average rate of 90 cubic metres a second.

Tsk! The cost of water rates here - you would have thought they would be putting the money into sorting out that waste of water.

Tsk! The cost of water rates here - you would have thought they would be putting the money into sorting out that waste of water.

I think hell will freeze over before more than 1% of the river flow is needed for Hobart. It's only a couple of years ago that water meters were installed here - the whole concept of having to pay for water is still quite a shock. :laugh:

Me too ............ and heading out to Shearwater, there are numerous farms selling veggies just out of the fields also raspberries and blueberries. Get eggs from a farm where the hens are out in the fields scratching around.

Hippies. Tasmania is where we send all the overgrown cardigans. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest leonburger
Fiona.....your being diddled on your car insurance mate :wink:

This would be $720 per year. That would be about right for comprehensive insurance.

I pay 720 fully comp insurance on my car and 600 full comp on my hubbies car ...a year ..

139 $ life insurance a month

1600 a month shopping ...minus pop that's 80 aweek on top 4x30 packs but he's buying his own soon now he has wages lol

rent in here 2080 a month

rent in perth 800 a month room share

uk house $600 a month covers insurances and fees for real estate

car on finance 758 a month 1:5 yrs left to pay

petrol 400 a month for the two cars aprox

I put 350 a month up for my electric

foxtel 140 aprox give a few dollars

internet and phone 115 a month

mobile contract plus ins 96 a month get international calls with that

Bupa 260 a month

put 100 a month up for both regos

gym membership for my hub and kids 150 a month just over for the 3

Hubby has 2x cases of beer a week bottles around 90 dollars for the two a week

And we go out for meals when we together every week but ATM no lol

and we save a little for a rainy day lol ...well my house

i pay $50 dollars aprox on meds for my lad a month it works out

carnt think of anything else yes I can I spend 100 dollars a week on fags for me ...was two hundred a week when my lad smoked but he's been packed in 7 month good job or he'd be buying his own now :)

Edited by Shellybingobingo