Best place to live in the UK if you are a sun loving IT geek?

foibles

As an Aussie due to move to the UK shortly, I am faced with the following predicament;

1. I very much prize sunshine and warm weather. Now, before anyone questions my sanity in the first place, let's just presume I have the proverbial gun at my head. So - where in the UK should I move that will provide this in better measure? Is it as simple as saying ' move southwards!'. If so, what about coastal areas - are they a bit too breezy?

2. So as to complicate matters, my partner will be looking for a contract role in software development (more accurately as a Test / QA lead or manager), whilst I myself will be looking to hire some developers (Java / PHP / iOS developers). Are our aspirations for hiring and being hired...somewhat incompatible with my desire to earn a golden tan and surf with great white sharks? OK, that's a bit extreme....but I presume one is much harder pressed finding lucrative IT contract work in (say) Torquay or Southampton than in London, Manchester etc?

If indeed the south may address my first requirement better than the north, how do the cities of Bristol, Southampton, Brighton or Cardiff (yes, I know where it is..) fit the bill?

Ill-informed, heavily biased or even outright scornful responses more than welcome on this question!

Thanks, Jeremy

btw Wikipedia pages tend to have climate data for major cities, which can be a useful guide, at least to compare them...

e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol#Climate

...although most people over 30 who grew up in the UK would probably agree that weather patterns now are radically different to what they were, so aggregating measurements across 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s doesn't necessarily give you a true picture of what it's like now.

If you're looking for the warmest parts of the UK it's basically the South-East corner, plus Cornwall and round-abouts in the South-West.

I lived in Edinburgh for 10 years and my Aussie friends there basically became suicidal around December-January... there's something about horizontal rain and the sun setting at 3.30pm that doesn't agree with the Antipodean temperament apparently.

Although Edinburgh's a fantastic place! :) "Nobody ever moves to Scotland for the weather"

Edited by mungbean

Hey - thanks very much for this - greatly appreciated. I am trying to prepare myself for the (as you refer to it as) horizontal rain and also the glorious greyshine....the closest one can come to preparedness is to spend some time in Tasmania (which I have plenty of times) or Southern NZ (on rare occasions). I do know that Scots moving down under have a particular affinity for these places (some pretty good whisky coming out of Tassie now too!).

I presume by 'radically different' you mean getting warmer (oh I hope so....)?

I'll do a bit more research into Brighton and Cornwall / Devon. Whilst I can be pretty relaxed in my choice of local, my partner is likely to seek work with a larger corporate type, so if either of these cities have any semblance of corporate presence, that would be great too (but then, corporate presence can detract from what would otherwise be an idyllic 'retreat').

Thanks again for the help!

I presume by 'radically different' you mean getting warmer (oh I hope so....)?

No: mainly wetter. Large flooding events have become an almost annual phenomenon in the last 7 years.

I'll do a bit more research into Brighton and Cornwall / Devon. Whilst I can be pretty relaxed in my choice of local, my partner is likely to seek work with a larger corporate type, so if either of these cities have any semblance of corporate presence

The South-West is much more rural (and very pretty), but it takes forever to get to London. Hence Brighton being best of both worlds.

Good luck!

Brighton has a pretty vibrant start-up/web scene.

It's a great town (although not what it was), and if you get the train to Victoria station you can be in London for client meetings in an hour.

+1.

It's hard to put good weather with plentiful job opportunities together in the UK. ie, I'd recommend Devon or Cornwall more, but I would imagine job opportunities with the skills you mention, would be significantly less or non-existent -- unless you worked at home or spent a long time commuting to a larger city.

Edited by vickyplum

I can't remember where I saw it in the last day or so, but Bournemouth Brighton and Liverpool are supposed be the fast growing IT hotspots in the UK.

Count out Liverpool, so leaves you with the other 2 Brighton can be a little chilly in the winter, but then so is every where in Uk

But if you looking for probably the best weather then Cornwall and Devon Dorset tend to be pretty good all yr round and tends to be the least likely to snow as well.

Bournemouth is in Dorset.

While its generally true that the South is warmer than the North, it's also true that the East is drier than the west. Driest places are East Anglia and probably Kent. Kent would be good for access to London, as would Essex, Suffolk, and to a lesser degree, Norfolk (but the train from there is pretty slow considering how close it is!). The only thing to consider in the East is the wind in winter - it can be bracing to say the least!

Bristol maybe? A fair amount of work (check Jobserve) and just about commutable to London - with office space a premium very many companies encourage working from home anyway - I live in Scotland and my last job was in London, I only needed to be in the office 2-3 days a month and I do the same as your wife. If I wanted a desk for two consecutive days I had to plead my case.

Bristol would give you reasonable access to Newquay for surfing.

I'd agree Brighton is an option too - the surf isn't as good but there'd be more opportunities to surf on a daily basis if you lived there rather than travelling to Newquay from Bristol.

Some of the best surfing conditions in Europe are in Scotland and probably the greatest amount of IT work outside of London ('silicon glen'!) but it would be the coldest option in the UK!!

Edited by Lady Rainicorn

Cambridge! Bit short of coast but you can be there in just over the hour. Close enough to London to get the buzz, whole load of IT geeks doing exciting technological things locally and I think our weather is damned near perfect - we see a lot of sun, more than the SW I believe. If you are put off by Cambridge prices then just over the border in Suffolk can be cheaper but still accessible to Cambridge and London.

As an Aussie due to move to the UK shortly, I am faced with the following predicament;

1. I very much prize sunshine and warm weather. Now, before anyone questions my sanity in the first place, let's just presume I have the proverbial gun at my head. So - where in the UK should I move that will provide this in better measure? Is it as simple as saying ' move southwards!'. If so, what about coastal areas - are they a bit too breezy?

2. So as to complicate matters, my partner will be looking for a contract role in software development (more accurately as a Test / QA lead or manager), whilst I myself will be looking to hire some developers (Java / PHP / iOS developers). Are our aspirations for hiring and being hired...somewhat incompatible with my desire to earn a golden tan and surf with great white sharks? OK, that's a bit extreme....but I presume one is much harder pressed finding lucrative IT contract work in (say) Torquay or Southampton than in London, Manchester etc?

If indeed the south may address my first requirement better than the north, how do the cities of Bristol, Southampton, Brighton or Cardiff (yes, I know where it is..) fit the bill?

Ill-informed, heavily biased or even outright scornful responses more than welcome on this question!

Thanks, Jeremy

Warmest in the south on average. The south west has milder winters but cooler summers than the south east and more cloud, wind and rain year round. The highest overall temperatures would be in London which can occasionally get pretty hot and sticky some days in the summer.

Sounds like damage limitation to me though. By the time I reach February it is hard to remember the last time I felt any warmth at all.

I'm in Wiltshire,and the weather where I am is usually good.Summers are usually quite warm,and winters can be milder too.My daughter (an aussie)lives in Falmouth (Cornwall)and truly loves it there.Not too sure about their weather though as it seems to rain a fair bit,and in summer its usually warmer where I am than where she is.Beaches are gorgeous though!I do like Cornwall but if you want ease of travel oversea's whilst you're here,it can be either time consuming travelling to London for a longhaul or more options,Exeter airport doesn't have a huge variety of destinations to go to,but Bristol airport is pretty ok. I have got a soft spot for Bristol.They always seem to have a lot of entertainment happening,and the shopping options are good too.

I love it where I live.Close to Salisbury,Bath,Bristol,and London is just over an hours train journey away.We have Stonehenge & Avebury nearby,and lots of pretty market towns,with gorgeous villages.Its very rural here too which is a bonus.Best wishes and good luck.You have so many beautiful places to choose from.

Thanks, Jeremy

Hey Jeremy,

If you're looking for the sunniest and warmest weather, I would say Brighton is the place for you. It's a fantastic city, close to London, and warm (For England). The weather doesn't vary here all that much, maybe a few degrees. If you can give the sea a miss, Bristol is a beautiful place. Lived there for a year myself.

Avoid Portsmouth like the plague, and don't bother with Southampton either. :)

Your best bet is London/Brighton given your circumstances.

I grew up in Brighton and have a house near Lewes. Both fabulous places to live. Used to be a lot of mainstream IT in Brighton - Now mostly moved out but a lot of younger, creative industries, if that's your thing (and you fit the hiring profile where anyone over 30 is seen as a bit ancient). You will probably have to commute to London, but if you live near a station Brighton/Hove - many do that. Tough in winter but you'd get used to it. Sadly need deep pockets to live in Brighton/Hove now the Londoners have moved down there but as an IT contractor, you'd have them! Jobs wise, as Quoll says Cambridge is very buoyant - I understand from a distance that Cardiff is really taking off (but it rains a lot in Wales)

I'd stick to the M4 corridor. Thames Valley has a LOT of IT and communication companies, and Reading is a major hub for trains into the city.

Then the M3 will get you to Southampton.

TV has the advantage of good salaries, but not having to deal with several hours commuting to the city every day.

In broad terms, south west has no work, wales is too wet, the north too cold. Midlands is too far away from the coast.

Essex is wide boys, London too expensive.

I'd be looking at Surrey, Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Middlesex, Buckinghamshire or Kent.

(from another sun loving IT worker, who lived all over the UK).

Yes, getting warmer. They grow real wine in the south of England now!

The two consecutive winters before I left Scotland (2010) it was around -17 Celsius for a couple weeks, and there was ice on the pavements for about 3 months.

I swore I never wanted to be cold again, and fled to India!

Quotes from Suffolk Tourist Guide;

"Suffolk’s annual rainfall is generally as little as one fifth of that in the West Country, and only half that of the South Coast. In fact, Anglian Water’s media manager, Collette Nicholls, said that East Anglia has been “as dry as Jerusalem, particularly Suffolk, with about the same rainfall.”

"it always has an excellent sunshine record when compared to the rest of the UK with temperatures of 1C above average on a daily basis"

"A survey, conducted on behalf of Halifax, found that the area of Mid Suffolk enjoys two more hours of sunshine each week than the national average."

I'd stick to the M4 corridor. Thames Valley has a LOT of IT and communication companies, and Reading is a major hub for trains into the city.

Then the M3 will get you to Southampton.

TV has the advantage of good salaries, but not having to deal with several hours commuting to the city every day.

In broad terms, south west has no work, wales is too wet, the north too cold. Midlands is too far away from the coast.

Essex is wide boys, London too expensive.

I'd be looking at Surrey, Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Middlesex, Buckinghamshire or Kent.

(from another sun loving IT worker, who lived all over the UK).

Not much surf in those places though :)

Hi Jeremy, its funny but my husband could have written your post word for word...

We are heading back to the UK in July, my wishes not his. We are from the Southampton area so have been keeping an eye on IT roles/opportunites for a while now and from what I can see there seems to be plenty locally around Southampton and Fareham/Havant way, I think there is the MoD down there which recruits a lot of IT bods. Then also from Winchester 22 mins by train is Basingstoke which is a big commercial hub and on the same line further up is Reading which again has a big IT hub without the need to go into London itself though it is only an hour from Winchester by train.

Beaches, well they will never compare to Australian beaches I must admit but there is the coast nearby not sure about surfing qualities though but you can go either west or east and find the beach within half an hour.... Christchurch, Bournemouth west, or the Sussex coast on the east.

Best of luck :)

Not much surf in those places though :)

Not much Sun either, but I get your point.

But I'd personally rather be where I can earn more money, and survive better, with the occasional surf holiday down to the south west and occasional weekend down the M3 to see a "beach" (ha ha ha).

Than live somewhere with a poorly paid job, with worse weather or an awful commute, just to be closer to the surf.

And buy a wet suit. And a sun bed. And tickets back to Aus.

Beaches, well they will never compare to Australian beaches I must admit but there is the coast nearby not sure about surfing qualities though but you can go either west or east and find the beach within half an hour.... Christchurch, Bournemouth west, or the Sussex coast on the east.

Best of luck :)

They're a lot chillier!! But plenty of beautiful beaches in the UK - and even those not beautiful (Brighton being an example) have charm and character and history which makes them great fun to be at. One of the things I am most looking forward to about returning to the UK is being by the beach, having a bracing stroll, striding along the cliff tops! Grew up by it and miss it every day.. living in Brissie it's a long way to a half decent beach.....

Some of the best surfing conditions in Europe are in Scotland and probably the greatest amount of IT work outside of London ('silicon glen'!) but it would be the coldest option in the UK!!

Do you have any examples - the thought of surfing and rambling through the highlands is very appealing.