Best place to live in the UK if you are a sun loving IT geek?

foibles

Do you have any examples - the thought of surfing and rambling through the highlands is very appealing.

I can give you a great one. Durness. North west coast. I learnt to surf there. It is also among some of the best walk and scenery in Scotland and as well as being a lovely little town it has a "alternative" town next door which is an old army camp and is now home to a load of people that would be described in old language as hippies. They run a load of wonderful craft businesses from there as well - some of the best chocolate I have ever eaten and have a load of celebrations for things like the solctice.

The he beach as Durness is also stunning.

To to cap it all, so of the best food in the world - diver caught queen scallops and wild venison to name but two.

I just did abit of a search VS (before I saw your post about googling)and......discovered John Lennon went there for a holiday back in 69,and its one of the remotest places in western Europe!Wow!Is the choccy place called Cocoa Mountain? John Lennon wrote the song "In my Life"about the place?Amazing! I will have to go on You Tube and listen now lol

I think that is the choc place.

Have be a look at Loch Eribol as well. It is next to Durness and is the National Geo Park for the UK - though other than geologists nobody seems to know that. It is one of the most important pieces of geology in the UK. Hence why I spent two summers there.

They're a lot chillier!! But plenty of beautiful beaches in the UK - and even those not beautiful (Brighton being an example) have charm and character and history which makes them great fun to be at. One of the things I am most looking forward to about returning to the UK is being by the beach, having a bracing stroll, striding along the cliff tops! Grew up by it and miss it every day.. living in Brissie it's a long way to a half decent beach.....

Please don't get me wrong Chortlepuss, I am a British girl through and through and love the British seaside and coastal towns. I lived in Devon growing up in my teens and lived in such a seaside town and had a great time. I can't wait to get back :)

......... diver caught queen scallops and wild venison to name but two.

I know that theories of global warming include rising sea levels.....but divers catching wild venison.......I think we need an awareness campaign for this! What next...ewe boats?

sorry....I may have been drinking....

{QUOTE} The pic above is of one of the beaches on Harris in The Hebrides. My grandfather was born there. Seas are a bit cold though {QUOTE}

How do they compare to Boat Harbour and Penguin (from your neck of the woods) - some of the loveliest beaches on earth to be found in Northern Tas (regrettably, they are absolutely Antarctic.....even in January!)

Edited by foibles

{QUOTE} The pic above is of one of the beaches on Harris in The Hebrides. My grandfather was born there. Seas are a bit cold though {QUOTE}

How do they compare to Boat Harbour and Penguin (from your neck of the woods) - some of the loveliest beaches on earth to be found in Northern Tas (regrettably, they are absolutely Antarctic.....even in January!)

I had a lovely swim at both Hawley beach and Penguin last week. Beautiful! I'm not one of those people who need the sea to be like tepid bathwater :wink: Once you were in, it was really nice. I never went much to the beaches in Sydney once the kids started going on their own. The wind always seemed to start blowing around lunch time - flaming pest - And the crowds!

Do you have any examples - the thought of surfing and rambling through the highlands is very appealing.

Thurso is THE place to go if you're an expert and that would certainly fit with rambling in the Highlands. This is where pro-championships are held.

Dunbar is great though for the not so serious and has the benefit of being not too far from Edinburgh.

I can give you a great one. Durness. North west coast. I learnt to surf there. It is also among some of the best walk and scenery in Scotland and as well as being a lovely little town it has a "alternative" town next door which is an old army camp and is now home to a load of people that would be described in old language as hippies. They run a load of wonderful craft businesses from there as well - some of the best chocolate I have ever eaten and have a load of celebrations for things like the solctice.

The he beach as Durness is also stunning.

To to cap it all, so of the best food in the world - diver caught queen scallops and wild venison to name but two.

Thanks it looks an awesome place

I expect I could fly to Wick, and then to Edinburgh or Glasgow?

Thanks it looks an awesome place

I expect I could fly to Wick, and then to Edinburgh or Glasgow?

Wick is the nearest airport but you may find Inverness easier - in part it would depend where you are flying from but there will be flights from more destinations to Inverness e.g you can fly from Sydney to Inverness with KLM whereas with Wick you would need to fly to/from Edinburgh or Aberdeen first.

The roads from Wick to Durness would be very minor, this could of course be a bonus but despite the longer distance the google maps driving time is only 10 mins different from Inverness.

Then again from Wick it would be easy to go to Thurso too.

I would agree - Brighton is good, also anywhere in the South East/Home Counties/M4 corridor/Reading area. Essex is great, ignore any comments about wide boys, just a stereotype. Rainfall is lower in the East (Essex/Suffolk/Kent) than in the South West, but if you want to be able to escape to Devon or Cornwall regularly then west or south west of London is better. Alternatively live near Gatwick airport (between London and Brighton in Sussex) or Stansted airport (between London and Cambridge in Essex) and escape regularly to the sun on cheap flights to Europe!!