Queensland Election Shock

Lambethlad

Queenslanders have delivered a huge smack to the LNP govt. Some seats have had swings of over 20 per cent. It looks like Labor will form the govt. At the moment Labor has 43 seats to LNP 40. Labor had only 9 seats in the old parliament. I guess the people were sick of the slash and sack LNP policies. It should put the wind up Tony Abbott.

I am generally shocked by all of the politics out here, makes you appreciate the truth when people state that UK is the oldest and best democracy in the world. Some of the media opinions and accusations are jaw dropping and very disapointing if there is any truth in them!

My concern is that Labor did not expect to win so I guess are now patching together some policies in case they get the final 2 seats needed for outright majority. I hope that they have some experienced policy makers otherwise I can see some half baked ideas and possibly some mistakes?

S

I was shocked myself as a Lib voter tho I find it hard to believe that Queenslanders were saying "Bring back the Carbon Tax and The Boats". Maybe I'm wrong and it is nothing to do with state issues and both Queensland and Victorian voters were voting as they will in the next Fed Election. Maybe even Labor will win back NSW!?

When I think of the godawful corruption that was going on in NSW when Labour was in power I just see red ................... Joe Tripodi, Eddie Obeid and Ian Macdonald to name three of the shysters. They brought NSW to it's knees. AND I have voted labour all my life. They are an absolute disgrace.

I was shocked myself as a Lib voter tho I find it hard to believe that Queenslanders were saying "Bring back the Carbon Tax and The Boats". Maybe I'm wrong and it is nothing to do with state issues and both Queensland and Victorian voters were voting as they will in the next Fed Election. Maybe even Labor will win back NSW!?

I reckon it's all simply about Abbot. He alone has done the damage IMHO.

It was to do with asset sales. Nobody cares about the boats and nobody's electricity bill has got cheaper so I guess scrapping that tax was pointless too.

Also Newman lied prior to the previous election in regards to public sector workers jobs.

Oh and unemployment has surged since the LNP came in here. Some shocking unemployment figures in the north

It was to do with asset sales. Nobody cares about the boats and nobody's electricity bill has got cheaper so I guess scrapping that tax was pointless too.

I think you mean nobody cares about the boats now they have stopped. When there was a couple a week coming the papers were full of pictures of woeful looking people, trying to pull at the heart strings. I don't think anyone wants a repeat of that, even Labor.

I think you mean nobody cares about the boats now they have stopped. When there was a couple a week coming the papers were full of pictures of woeful looking people, trying to pull at the heart strings. I don't think anyone wants a repeat of that, even Labor.

Yeah, I never actually heard anyone from Brisbane mention the boats as a reason to vote for either party. I think that's more for the western suburbs to worry about.

You guys do know this was a state election don't you ?

Yes, I was just responding to the earlier comments.

But as Newman = Abbott it is basically the same arguement

I am generally shocked by all of the politics out here, makes you appreciate the truth when people state that UK is the oldest and best democracy in the world. Some of the media opinions and accusations are jaw dropping and very disapointing if there is any truth in them!

My concern is that Labor did not expect to win so I guess are now patching together some policies in case they get the final 2 seats needed for outright majority. I hope that they have some experienced policy makers otherwise I can see some half baked ideas and possibly some mistakes?

S

I hardly think so. For all its faults, Australia is much more progressive and egalitarian than the UK, leading Britain in many democratic innovations, such as female suffrage and an accountable upper house. There is much greater social mobility in Australia leading to a more representative democracy, as well. And of course the UK isn't the oldest democracy in the world.