What to wear to citizenship ceremony?

Quinkla

What should I wear to citizenship ceremony? (your vote will be public)  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What should I wear to citizenship ceremony? (your vote will be public)

• Business
    • Business casual
    • Casual

On Monday, I will become a citizen. The ceremony is at a small council on the outskirts of Melbourne, indoors. I am not sure what tho wear. My three options are:

a: business dress - charcoal suit, white shirt and subdued Aboriginal pattern tie

b: business casual - charcoal suit, open necked gingham patterned shirt

c: casual - pink and white striped linen shirt, black jeans

What do you guys think? I reserve the right to overrule the popular consensus :) but thanks for your thoughts.

You are becoming a citizen on Aust day so you may end up with your picture in the paper or on the news as they often have snippets of local ceremonies as well as the main ones. I'd be inclined to wear business dress for this reason but also because I tend to stick to the old rule of when in doubt defer to overdressed rather than underdressed. At worst you will be viewed as taking the ceremony seriously.

• Like 1

Ours was on Australia Day last year however it was a huge outdoor ceremony for over 700 new citizens. It was hot too. I wore a lightweight summer knee length dress that I would class as smart casual. Husband wore smart trousers and shirt. Son wore shirt and shorts. Daughter wore nice top and trousers. Id say most were smart casual.

You are becoming a citizen on Aust day so you may end up with your picture in the paper or on the news as they often have snippets of local ceremonies as well as the main ones. I'd be inclined to wear business dress for this reason but also because I tend to stick to the old rule of when in doubt defer to overdressed rather than underdressed. At worst you will be viewed as taking the ceremony seriously.

I agree wholeheartedly about taking it seriously. I am so proud that Australia is our home, probably because it's not our Birthright .Citizenship is a blessing and we are very privileged .

• Like 2

What would you be most comfortable in if everyone else is wearing something different? So if you turn up in buisness and everyone else is casual would you feel more comfortable than if you turned up in casual and everyone else is in business? Personally I think I'd be going for comfortably smart and I'd feel happy regardless of what everyone else was in.

I agree wholeheartedly about taking it seriously. I am so proud that Australia is our home, probably because it's not our Birthright .Citizenship is a blessing and we are very privileged .

Exactly. Which is why I get a bit miffed at the "what's in it for me" brigade ?

It's not your place to get miffed though. What's it to you? Citizenship is a 2 way street, do you think for one minute the Australian Government is doing this out of kindness to Poms? Or anyone else...it's mutually beneficial.

Australias economy and growth is dependent on skilled migrants. If it weren't for overseas GPs/nurses/police/firefighters/and a host of other skilled professionals etc we'd be right in the poop. Not to mention overseas born citizens who go into the military.

Those contributors to Australian society may have different views about what Citizenship is to them. The majority do it for various reasons I'd say..not least for the sense of belonging...but what's in it for the Australian government and society as a whole??Lots. The country depends on it....only natural for citizens to ask 'what's in it for me?' as part of the overall though process.

I'm not sure who you are referring to. All I saw were lots of very proud and happy new citizens, and we received welcoming comments from all who attended, including local politicians and Koori Elders. If people don't think it is worth taking citizenship, then I guess they just don't choose to do it.

We've just been told that we have been accepted for Citizenship and the ceremony will be on 19th February. We only applied in early November, pity we missed the Australia Day ceremonies, that would have been special. As far as what to wear, if the Premier of Victoria can go around to various openings and ceremonies in jeans and open shirt then that might be good enough for me, although with my sense of decorum it may not be jeans.

Mike and Connie.

Seems 19th February is the Chinese and Vietnamese New Year.

Edited by Mike and Connie
wrong date

I'm going to try and time it so that the weather's cool enough to wear my best suit. It rarely gets an airing nowadays, so it's a chance to put on a bit of a show for once. :smile:

We've just been told that we have been accepted for Citizenship and the ceremony will be on 19th February. We only applied in early November, pity we missed the Australia Day ceremonies, that would have been special. As far as what to wear, if the Premier of Victoria can go around to various openings and ceremonies in jeans and open shirt then that might be good enough for me, although with my sense of decorum it may not be jeans.

Mike and Connie.

Seems 19th February is the Chinese and Vietnamese New Year.

We had a midweek evening ceremony. We were offered an Australia Day one but neither of us wanted it. We are quite private people and not into fuss so for us it was lovely a very small affair we took no one we knew and there were about 30 of us, just right. They did lay on a tea but we left and had dinner just the 3 of us. It's still special it's your time. Enjoy.

We had a midweek evening ceremony. We were offered an Australia Day one but neither of us wanted it. We are quite private people and not into fuss so for us it was lovely a very small affair we took no one we knew and there were about 30 of us, just right. They did lay on a tea but we left and had dinner just the 3 of us. It's still special it's your time. Enjoy.

I'm also glad we didn't have our ceremony with hundreds of others - ours felt quite intimate with groups of 10 people, refreshements afterwards, but we'd also booked a family dinner to celebrate

• 2 years later...

You waited 4 years or some waited even more 6 years .. I believe you should wear a nice suit or business dress. It worth it and you have to be honoured. In the ceremony they always saying we are proud of our culture and where we came from . So it is nice to wear a nice dress that's shows you are proud too .. I think it is embarrassing for peopl who wear a casual dress . It is a great day show some respect for your own citizenship and take a pic . God bless Australia ??