Wanted Down Under Series 9 :-)

paddymacs

Have them recorded and seen the first two one in Perth and one in Adelaide. WDU gives an update after each show if you log onto their website which is great as you always are left wondering what they did. Are any of you from series 9 on PIO and if so do you want to give us a further update?

It kind of does that to me too. I hate the messages from home and just wish they would get Nicki Chapman to interact with them. I doubt she ever even meets them although i did watch some revisted ones last week the one with CalNgary from PIO was probably the best one I've seen and i think because she spoke with them.

As much as I know some people love that show,it drives me crazy!My friend asked me this week if I wanted to watch it and I just started laughing and said "Are you serious"!I think I've only ever watched at most 3 episodes of the early days shows,and had to stop watching it.Sorry folks.I do understand why people watch it though! :)

I watched the Adelaide one yesterday and was also infuriated by it. The family see some pictures of a beach, want to go. Learn they would earn far less there, be entering competitive recruitment markets, and incur higher cost of living resulting in a short fall of £1,000 a month, get a bit cautious. Go for a walk in the bush, decide to go. Good luck to them I hope they will be pleasantly surprised but what infuriates me is the lack of any logic. For example it was mentioned that the wife would earn £20,000 more working full time in Australia than she currently does working part time in England, a little more detail please otherwise that info is useless. Likewise the houses, exactly where was the nice house in relation to the city? You could move from Kent to Devon and get a much bigger house for the same money.

Also the name of the programme infuriates me. Don't tell the girl it's a competitive market for midwifes as there are more graduates than there are positions. 'Wanted' gives the impression that there is some shortage in demand, which as everyone on here kniws cannot be assumed just because thier profession is on the skilled occupation list. Otherwise it would be called a skils shortage list.

Just watched the Perth one, nice to recognise a lot of the places they visited, lol. Seemed to base a lot of their sums on maximum earning potential rather than starting salaries. Also they seemed happy to take on a 30 year mortgage even though the guy looked in his mid to late 30's.

Finally I do have a question. They keep insisting on wanting a pool but everyone I spoke to on my recent visit said a pool could cost $1,000 a month to keep running ?

Just watched the Perth one, nice to recognise a lot of the places they visited, lol. Seemed to base a lot of their sums on maximum earning potential rather than starting salaries. Also they seemed happy to take on a 30 year mortgage even though the guy looked in his mid to late 30's.

Finally I do have a question. They keep insisting on wanting a pool but everyone I spoke to on my recent visit said a pool could cost $1,000 a month to keep running ?

Eh?????? Just how bigs the bloomin pool? Not at all correct. Ours probably doesn't cost us that a year!

Also the name of the programme infuriates me. Don't tell the girl it's a competitive market for midwifes as there are more graduates than there are positions. 'Wanted' gives the impression that there is some shortage in demand, which as everyone on here kniws cannot be assumed just because thier profession is on the skilled occupation list. Otherwise it would be called a skils shortage list.

They probably should rename it "Want to Live DownUnder" lol. However you must admit that the advice that they receive (distilled and edited as it is) realistically downplays their prospects. But it has to be said that many do find employment on arrival.

I have to admit I watch it because I like to see the property and guess the prices. What drives me nuts are the people who walk into a perfectly decent, if a little plain, kitchen and declare 'Well this would have to be all ripped out.' It's as though if they cant have their dream house on a plate, they don't want to move at all. I find this incomprehensible - surely if you were really interested in moving somewhere you wouldn't let a boring kitchen put you off? I stress I am not talking dated necessarily - somebody did it the other day - plain white kitchen, ceramic hob, all clean and nice but boring, and it was 'oh well there's no way we could live with this.' I could have slapped them both!

Is it me or does there always seem to be one partner who is sort of bullying the other one to move, harping on about how it's been their dream for about ninety years (even though they've never been there? Another thing is the harping on about how they'll have more time together as a family - as if nobody in Australia has a job to go to, they just all prance about on the beach all day long ...

I saw one ages ago on Brisbane & it was quite funny as the people were horrified about the kind of house you could buy in city (camp hill) for their smallish budget. They seem to recommend houses miles out with a very ambitious view of commuting times. Gives a bit of a false impression but fun to watch I suppose.

I watch it as someone going through the process currently. What infuriates me is people look at the house,estimate a price and when they're out by a country mile say "well I wouldn't pay that to live here." It's the market price!

What irritates me is when they have absolutely no idea of the price and are miles out. If someone has had the urge to live in Australia the smallest amount of Internet research on the area they plan to go to will give you a decent idea of rents and purchase price.

I've just recently seen 2 of these programmes for the first time ever and also watched them from the perspective of being here for nearly 13 years now but soon to be returning back to the UK.

It surprised me a little that they were more realistic with regards to living expenses, jobs etc, than I was expecting but what surprised me the most was the expectations of the wannabe migrants with the houses they want to live in. They say they want to migrate for the outdoor lifestyle, spend more time with the kids and less time working (what's that about - don't you have to work in Oz?!) but I felt the priority was wanting to live in show houses with massive rooms, pool and the latest fad is a cinema room. A more materialistic way of life than more time with the kids sprang to my mind. I live in a lovely house, small but cosy with 3 br, teenage kids love it, no pool, no massive backyard, no cinema room either, live 10 mins drive from the beach and from the city and pay way less rent so I suppose it depends what you're really migrating to Oz for. But at the end of the day these programmes are highly edited and you only get to see what the TV producers want you to see so probably should just be regarded as light entertainment!

In just one week you would still be jetlagged apart from anything else. I always think how quickly things change and how silly it is to price these houses when it takes the average family at least a year to get over here. I guess its more of a travelogue thing really, light entertainment and a free trip for the families.

Archived