Making decision to move back to UK in time for high school this year

wetnwindy

so have been in WA sine 2012 and have PR and have reached the point of do I comit and stay or do I head home in time for high school. We have 3 kids, 11,9,4. Hubby works FIFO 3/1 and whilst we enjoy Australia there isnt a day that passes without me thinking of home. We went back last Xmas and loved it very much and cried all the way back to WA. What I don't want to happen is leave it any longer and not be able to leave as kids will be settled into high school. I'm not looking at UK via rose tinted glasses, I know why we left in th first place, an adventure and we've had that but I have this longing for UK all the time. Australia is so expensive and even though hubby does FIFO we still just get by. The opportunity for the kids here regards outdoors is amazing whilst in scotland it would be less of an appeal. Has anyone made the move with kids back after a few years and what is your experiences? Hubby not really wanting to but will for me.

You have to make a decision soon - or stay for the long haul if you want your kids to go to university. As it is, we're facing paying overseas fees for UK university when we return with our 18 year old. Stayed this long after 8 years so he could finish high school. It must be hard with your hubby FIFO, and like you we are finding that higher wages + higher cost of living means that we are not better off in Australia financially. Scotland is beautiful and you will get plenty of opportunities to travel to warmer climes! (with cheaper holidays and longer holiday allocation) Good luck with whatever you decide, but it doesn't sound like things are likely to improve any time soon. I went back to UK (south of England) for a couple of months last year, ended up staying 5 months, rose tints should have been well and truly off but had an amazing time, just enjoyed being where I belong...If it had just been me, I wouldn't have got back on that plane to Brisbane.

• Like 1

I understand the longing to go back to England. We are constantly battling with the shall we go back scenario . We both transferred from the British Army to the ADF. Both have left now because although it is a beautiful country which I cannot slate in any way. Working in the ADF was like moving from Sainsburys to the local corner shop. We both unhappy and left. I am now happy at work after about a 2 year battle of finding a new career. Michael is at UNI....tax dodging student! The problem for us is that our pension payments from the Brits over here is worth double. We live rural in a beautiful house and our families are spread across the UK, so no actual home town.

I would love to go home but the cost of moving back and obtaining a new career for both of us mental health nurse/therapist and (Business student graduating soon). Would be too difficult. We have not been home at all in 5.5 years. I now see England as the place I would love to return to but it would be financial suicide for us to return. We are returning back on holiday next year ...........and I constantly dream of it!!! I agree Scotland is beautifull...and encapsulates the outdoor existance.

We brought a 15 year old and a 12 year old back. They have both settled into school lovely and I feel the school here in the UK is far better than the school the boys were at in Australia. They have both picked up friends quickly and been accepted back. Everyone seem to know them because their accents stand out, however I have to be honest and say that the younger one is finding the weather not too appealing.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Wetnwindy - We've 2 kids - high school age -and do have a good life here but i really miss England so much and think about returning far too much. We've already spent close to $40,000 in the time we've lived here going back and forth to visit family. I don't want to live here forever but am scared to throw away a good job here and a good school for the kids. Just returned from a trip back to the UK and loved it - now feeling fed up being so far away from family and familiarity. Kids loved seeing their cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents. Very hard to say goodbye. So hard to know what is the best for the family. I actually prefer the weather in the UK as there isn't the fear of getting burnt! Interested to know what you do decide. All the best.

I'm the same with the kids. I want to do it and I want to do it NOW because of school timing. I have four school aged children and worry how they will transfer back. It's so hard.

I know that we will go back at some point. It's inevitable so it feels like we are just prolonging the inevitable and wasting time and money. We came for adventure. Mission accomplished.

Good luck xx

• 2 years later...

Well we returned May 2016 and plan moving back Jan 2018 in time for Year 9 for my eldest, year 7 middle and year 3 youngest.  As much as we love Scotland the weather dictates your lifestyle.  No more daily bike rides, no more walks along sunny beaches with toes in water, no more after school plays at the park.  The school is ok but my kids just don't fit in and miss Australia terribly.  I came back alone as hubby went to ME to work plus my parents were struggling health wise, my father passed away in August after a year of illness so I am so pleased that I was here to spend precious time with him.  Hubby will be away another 18 months and then back to Australia to continue our family adventure.  Kids can't wait, eldest slightly more apprehensive as she has made massive effort and made a few lovely friends but overall we were all happier back in Australia.  There is no right or wrong decision but the fact that I think about Australia every day doesn't help matters and I was finally settled after my initial post.  We have never cried as hard as we did when we left Australia 18 months ago.  I don't want to wait any longer and have regrets.  Financial ruin but hopefully mental stability!

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2015 at 01:20, wetnwindy said:

so have been in WA sine 2012 and have PR and have reached the point of do I comit and stay or do I head home in time for high school. We have 3 kids, 11,9,4. Hubby works FIFO 3/1 and whilst we enjoy Australia there isnt a day that passes without me thinking of home. We went back last Xmas and loved it very much and cried all the way back to WA. What I don't want to happen is leave it any longer and not be able to leave as kids will be settled into high school. I'm not looking at UK via rose tinted glasses, I know why we left in th first place, an adventure and we've had that but I have this longing for UK all the time. Australia is so expensive and even though hubby does FIFO we still just get by. The opportunity for the kids here regards outdoors is amazing whilst in scotland it would be less of an appeal. Has anyone made the move with kids back after a few years and what is your experiences? Hubby not really wanting to but will for me.

wherever you move back to in the u.k , you have to take the positives .

weather is generally changeable ( but getting milder )

too much traffic in some areas

inner cities , that are dodgy to say the least

but , you have to offset that with everything else

very cheap travel to europe ....went to Spain earlier in the year to play golf ,£80 return

a host of things to do in the u.k

the worlds capital ( London ) within reach .

an enviable choice of t.v , shopping ,and facilities

and some great history and scenery

you just have to pick the right place to return to ....thats the one you have to get right

9 hours ago, wetnwindy said:

Well we returned May 2016 and plan moving back Jan 2018 in time for Year 9 for my eldest, year 7 middle and year 3 youngest.  As much as we love Scotland the weather dictates your lifestyle.  No more daily bike rides, no more walks along sunny beaches with toes in water, no more after school plays at the park.  The school is ok but my kids just don't fit in and miss Australia terribly.  I came back alone as hubby went to ME to work plus my parents were struggling health wise, my father passed away in August after a year of illness so I am so pleased that I was here to spend precious time with him.  Hubby will be away another 18 months and then back to Australia to continue our family adventure.  Kids can't wait, eldest slightly more apprehensive as she has made massive effort and made a few lovely friends but overall we were all happier back in Australia.  There is no right or wrong decision but the fact that I think about Australia every day doesn't help matters and I was finally settled after my initial post.  We have never cried as hard as we did when we left Australia 18 months ago.  I don't want to wait any longer and have regrets.  Financial ruin but hopefully mental stability!

I hope your return works out for you.  You will find things a lot more expensive now - and you were finding things expensive when you left in 2015.  Good luck to you and your family!

we have the same issue now, our daughter is 9 only 2 years left prior to secondary school, we have a house in london. we will move back but we are not whether to sell the london house and buy elsewhere. 

I think you need to do what is right for you, I just hope you dont become a ping pong. we decided to wait for citizenship then return.

15 hours ago, wetnwindy said:

It is funny it is almost your original post in reverse.

It shows the mind doesn't always know what it wants.

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2015 at 05:57, proud preston said:

Dear Wetnwindy - We've 2 kids - high school age -and do have a good life here but i really miss England so much and think about returning far too much. We've already spent close to $40,000 in the time we've lived here going back and forth to visit family. I don't want to live here forever but am scared to throw away a good job here and a good school for the kids. Just returned from a trip back to the UK and loved it - now feeling fed up being so far away from family and familiarity. Kids loved seeing their cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents. Very hard to say goodbye. So hard to know what is the best for the family. I actually prefer the weather in the UK as there isn't the fear of getting burnt! Interested to know what you do decide. All the best.

Preston - if you are a close family , I fully understand , and respect your opinion ...good for you

if your family are tight , good on you , because , ultimately , there is nothing else

but families across the western world are not like that anymore .... .generally

greed , selfishness and me first are the new religion .

I meet new people EVERY DAY , and the stories are very similar .

families are fragmenting , more so now ,than ever before .

brothers and sisters not talking , this one ,not talking to that one .

so going home for family is admirable , as long as your family is worth the effort ( mom and dad excluded of course ) .

I used to come from a very close family , but I wouldn't cross the road to see them now .

I am doing it right now for my mom ....making decisions based on her circumstances , but I wouldn't do anything outside of my immediate family now .

16 hours ago, wetnwindy said:

You cried when you left the UK and you cried when you left Australia, I fear some ping ponging in the future.

The weather in Scotland would be a massive change from what you had got used to in WA especially if your kids were outdoorsy.  Where we are the weather rarely stops us doing anything and our kids love it here. As said already expect it to be even more expensive than when you left, that is something we have really noticed how much cheaper it is here and it has been 5 years since we left Australia. As long as you are convinced the things that made you cry about WA have now changed then you will be fine. Good luck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parley said:

It is funny it is almost your original post in reverse.

It shows the mind doesn't always know what it wants.

I think the mind does know what it wants, Australian sized houses near a beach with warm sunny weather in the UK. Well that is what mine wants. It is just that that's  not possible so the art is knowing where to compromise. 

I also know it takes a couple of years to settle, buying a house fixing it up how you likeit and making new friends takes time.

Edited by ScottieGirl
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

I think the mind does know what it wants, Australian sized houses near a beach with warm sunny weather in the UK. Well that is what mine wants. It is just that that's  not possible so the art is knowing where to compromise. 

I also know it takes a couple of years to settle, buying a house fixing it up how you likeit and making new friends takes time.

We have the Australian sized house but aren't beach fans lol. Actually our house is bigger than our Aussie house. It does take a couple of years to fully adjust but I must say our kids were adjusted within months and consider themselves very much English. 

We came back to UK with two sons, one 15 and one 16.  Timing from a schooling perspective would be considered awefull especially for our eldest, but he was not doing particularly well in Australia at school and what he would have then gone on to do I have no idea.  Our youngest dropped back into year 10 and will be doing GCSEs this year, also did work experience with employer who is keen for him to apply for an apprenticeship with them.  Eldest did resit of GCSEs in first year at college plus BTEC in sports, this year he will complete that plus is doing 1st year in another two subjects at college.  So by the end of next year he will have the equivalent of 4 A Levels and could go on to Uni if he wanted.  From our experience I would have thought with the ages of your children they should have no problem fitting in educationally.

Edited by CJT
  • Like 2

On 10 October 2017 at 22:54, wetnwindy said:

Atleast you now know, otherwise you would of still been in Australia thinking about the uk.

Hopefully your return goes well and those " feelings " don't return.............

Good luck and well done.