Which airline?

Guest51810

I'm a bit early but wondering what airline I should be looking at? I'm on a budget but I also want to go with the best one I can afford since the flight will most likely be a nightmare for me. Was thinking maybe emirates (I think they fly direct from Glasgow) or maybe Singapore airlines? I think those are the two I've heard mentioned on here most

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emirates are excellent. We booked a week of two back with etihad though flying out of Edinburgh as the price was very cheap indeed. I found a price through a comparison website, then phoned them as I couldn't get anywhere near the price on their site. They looked at some different flight route options to get the best price and then phoned me back. They were certainly very helpful. We fly in September.

Cheers guys I'll try and go with emirates then. I did hear they were good but also heard Singapore being mentioned quite often. Couldn't think of any other airlines other than those two.

Yeah Dave it would be much easier if I could stick to going from Glasgow. When I went to Portugal i heard them calling the flight for Perth, was depressing lol. I guess at a push I could travel down to Manchester or somewhere like that but Glasgow or Edinburgh would be much easier.

I still haven't even decided where I'm landing yet but I'm like 80% sure I'll start off in Perth

I'll have a look at etihad too then, heard they had some good deals a week or two ago. I'm open to all options since I don't really have any plan at the moment!

At one point I wanted to do a stopover somewhere for a few days but I'm going to be on a small budget unless I win the lottery so I might leave that for when I'm coming home

Singapore all the way for me, simply can't fault them. Never known Emirates so can't compare, from what I've heard Emirates are pretty decent too. If you can get a flight straight from Glasgow then I would just choose to go with Emirates, why go through the hassle of getting to Manchester when the trip is already long enough?

It really depends on what you look for from a flight. If you bring your own entertainment, as many do these days, and food is not a big issue, you should just go for whichever airline has the best price. Economy seats are all much of a muchness. I have flown on some of the less fashionable airlines and found the fine - generous, if anything, with the food and drink.

When I went to Portugal i heard them calling the flight for Perth, was depressing lol.

Must've been for a joy flight up the road then because they wouldn't mention Perth, AU for any Emirates flight at Glasgow...only Dubai!

Another option you can look at is Qatar...they now fly from Edinburgh and on to Perth via Doha. Their pricing can sometimes be pretty good.

Depends where you are flying from and to.

Personally with Heathrow as my nearest International in UK I would only fly airlines that go via HK or Singapore as the Dubai - Brisbane leg is too long for me personally.

Depends where you are flying from and to.

Personally with Heathrow as my nearest International in UK I would only fly airlines that go via HK or Singapore as the Dubai - Brisbane leg is too long for me personally.

Preferably Scotland. If not then I'd travel to somewhere like Manchester. I found a one way flight earlier for £500, I think that's roughly the minimum price. I tried to get a hold of sta travel to speak about a return

Preferably Scotland. If not then I'd travel to somewhere like Manchester. I found a one way flight earlier for £500, I think that's roughly the minimum price. I tried to get a hold of sta travel to speak about a return

Are you going to Perth? Personally I would just go with the best value, check how many hours the total flights are though. You see the chinese one's which take about 45 hours but are cheap.

If you are going to Perth, Glasgow via Emirates sounds a good choice if it's a reasonable price. Have a play around with sky scanner.

Etihad are good and pretty much equivalent to Emirates.

Note that both Etihad and Emirates have codeshare agreements with Virgin Australia and Qantas, respectively. When I've checked, flight costs were almost equivalent (<$5 difference) between Etihad/Virgin and Emirates/Qantas. The reason I mention it is if you become, say, a Virgin frequent flyer and book the flight through them instead of Etihad you'll rack up a lot of points. These could be put towards an internal Virgin flight in Australia, for example.

It's not going to save you a lot of money, but if you decide that the best flight for you is an Etihad or Emirates flight, then booking through Virgin or Qantas instead will get you more useable frequent flyer points at little/no extra cost. The flight will be exactly the same on exactly the same plane, you just get more points for it.

But the most important thing is getting a flight that is good value first.

I'm coming back to the UK in May and got a return with Qantas and BA through an agent (helloworld.com.au) for $1500 which I was very happy with and also means I get the frequent flyers too.

Sky Scanner does have some good deals through agents, but make sure you check out reviews on the agent first.

I'd say choose cost, followed by convenience of route first. Deciding a 24 hour economy journey over whether an airline stewardess smiles at you twice or gives you a hot towel on a flight should be way down the priority list IMHO.

That being said I'm currently in Europe again Mon-Fri this week and flown Emirates, who for long haul flights I do admit are very good, but were selected purely because of route convenience/timings for me (work pays).

Though, my views about air travel are tainted as I do far far far too much.

It's always worth doing the maths. Qantas love their fuel surcharges and charge them on award flights. Sometimes you're only saving a couple of hundred quid by burning 128k points. To me that represents very poor value and I'd find a better way of burning those points.