Which airline?

Guest51810

Hi Stacey, have been to Oz twice, first time flew Emirates from Glasgow, fab service and would recommend although they are not the cheapest. Second time we flew KLM and Malaysian Airlines, I didn't enjoy the flights and for that reason wouldn't fly either again! We are leaving Glasgow in April and are flying with Emirates with a 1 hour layover in Dubai.

Lorraine

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have flown most of the major airlines between UK and Australia and all were much of a muchness really. Next trip in the new year I am using Emirates as I have managed to get a great deal and as well as flying into Gatwick and not Heathrow... visiting friends/ family in Sussex so it made sense. Stay away from Flight Centre though SS.... they never seem to get good fare prices. I booked my latest flight direct with Emirates after playing around on Skyscanner for a while and when I checked with Flight Centre the cheapest they could give me for exactly the same date/flights, was $380 more!

I too, generally avoid Flight Center, but have used them and experienced same as Rossmoyne, though recently I had to use them as we were using our credit card rewards (some $750 worth) towards flights, however we checked out what flights we wanted on the net beforehand, 'Best Jet' gave the best price by far even better than the airlines prices, so armed with this off to FC we went got their price beater promise ( $1 less) and no credit card fee either, Seats booked upstairs on the A380 at no premium too! so 2 return flights Brisbane to London next May for under $1470 each less our rewards value giving approx $1100 each in the end, quite happy with that.

Stay away from Flight Centre though SS.... they never seem to get good fare prices.

Flight Centre can access the best prices quite easily, they just choose not to because they make more money by charging customers more. Their best price guarantee is almost impossible to hold them to - I have tried. They insist that you get to the screen online where you have to press the final go-ahead button. They will argue (a) that the screen print you show them is not the final final screen or (b) that the price might have changed since you did the print out. They will then add the booking fee/credit card fee to the low price you try to show them even if you argue that you intended to pay using one of the methods that doesn't include the fee. They are absolute rogues and will never, ever quote their best price first.

Be careful making defamatory posts Quinkla, as you could be sued.

I didn't see anything defamatory in it. A couple of things wrong with it though. They actually can't always access the best prices - in particular I'm aware that they fell out with Emirates because EK would sell seats on their own website for cheaper than the wholesale prices offered to FC. Even then they might still price match but only if they also sell you other products, insurance, land etc so they actually make money.

Flight Centre can access the best prices quite easily, they just choose not to because they make more money by charging customers more. Their best price guarantee is almost impossible to hold them to - I have tried. They insist that you get to the screen online where you have to press the final go-ahead button. They will argue (a) that the screen print you show them is not the final final screen or (b) that the price might have changed since you did the print out. They will then add the booking fee/credit card fee to the low price you try to show them even if you argue that you intended to pay using one of the methods that doesn't include the fee. They are absolute rogues and will never, ever quote their best price first.

To be fair to FC they have price beat twice now for me without any hassle, 1st time by $10 and the last by $1, they got the info up on the final screens themselves and agreed that there was also no credit card fees on my latest booking.

However I have also had them say they need more details when I did not have all the info infront of me, I have also had them tell me that that certain flight routing did not exist, they came up with a fare $600 more for a similar route, I did fly my non existent route, pre-xmas in New York, into Helsinki for a few hours before onto UK.

I suppose it does depend on the actual branch one uses, the most local to me has been the better of several visited.

I'll probably stay away from flight centre then. Someone said about ringing companies direct. Think I'll probably do that

They are not all bad SS otherwise they would not be in business that long, so do not completely dismiss them, other travel agents are similar. If you do your research beforehand then you will be sort of one step ahead of them and they can not try to push you down the route they would like you to go. Then again they may also provide you with further useful information. I used to use 'Best Fights' web site and got some of my best deals and great service from them, then 'Hello World' took them over and it they are now no different to any other travel agent now! and have not booked with them yet.

I tend to do my research online to narrow down what I want, and can end up booking either on the Net, by telephone (direct to the airline) or call in the travel agents.

Happy Travels.

I suppose it does depend on the actual branch one uses, the most local to me has been the better of several visited.

...and the consultant you speak to. They earn commission and are free to add on fat if they like. Nothing wrong with that, they are providing a service after all, but sometimes that can be a lot of fat!

Agreed Keith,

I know people who have used them and always been very happy with the service and price provided.

If your main criteria is to screw every last dollar out of the travel agent that you possibly can, well just make sure you have done your research thoroughly as you have advised too.

I never said anything about screwing dollars out. I just want as cheap as possible but without as many negatives as possible :laugh: I'll just have to pay whatever it comes to. I still think someone should sneak me in their container :laugh:

And that SS is why you need to do some research, prices, route, airline, timings, plane, seating, entertainment, baggage! to mention a few.

This article has some interesting information on finding cheap flights. It is written by the Australian Consumers' Association but may be helpful irrespective of where in the world you are booking.

Interestingly, it has a reference to Flight Centre and a court case involving price fixing.

http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and-tests/travel/general-travel/airline-travel/cheap-flights-and-variable-pricing.aspx

Edited by Skani

I still can't decide wether to get a return because I haven't ruled out staying a 2nd year or a year in New Zealand. I know most people say it's better to have a safety net but I'd make sure I had enough money set aside for the return part when I was ready.

It's just I've been quoted around 950 for a return with the flexi pass thing but I can get a single with etihad in September to perth for around £450. That's a lot of money to me if I'm not absolutely sure I'm going to use the return part within the year. I'll have to have a good think about it

Yes some challenging decisions there SS, cost is not everything, peace of mind plays a part in this too, should your circumstances whilst in OZ change, then a return ticket would give this, but the cost for this would be the possibility of it been a wasted ticket. You would also have to factor in the cost of airfares from Perth over to the east coast - not cheap! (say 200 - 300 pounds) and then you would have to do this trip again if your international return was from Perth. So on balance, from what you say, I personally would opt for the one way ticket and deal with the return at my leisure from wherever.

Flights from the east coast cities over to NZ can be quite cheap (say 100 pounds).

Yes some challenging decisions there SS, cost is not everything, peace of mind plays a part in this too, should your circumstances whilst in OZ change, then a return ticket would give this, but the cost for this would be the possibility of it been a wasted ticket. You would also have to factor in the cost of airfares from Perth over to the east coast - not cheap! (say 200 - 300 pounds) and then you would have to do this trip again if your international return was from Perth. So on balance, from what you say, I personally would opt for the one way ticket and deal with the return at my leisure from wherever.

Flights from the east coast cities over to NZ can be quite cheap (say 100 pounds).

Yeah I'll have to look into it further. I just hate the idea of wasted money lol I am Scottish after all :laugh: however it depends on how much more expensive a single from Australia is. I've heard people say it's more but I haven't looked into actually how much more yet. I have the option of maybe flying home from New Zealand instead or getting a flight to somewhere like Thailand and then going home that way. Hmmm decisions decisions

Yeah I'll have to look into it further. I just hate the idea of wasted money lol I am Scottish after all :laugh: however it depends on how much more expensive a single from Australia is. I've heard people say it's more but I haven't looked into actually how much more yet. I have the option of maybe flying home from New Zealand instead or getting a flight to somewhere like Thailand and then going home that way. Hmmm decisions decisions

And I'm a Yorkshireman:notworthy:, the only difference between Yorkshire folk and Scottish folk is that we Yorkshire folk are blessed (or burdened) with a touch of generosity:laugh:.

It is possible to fly budget airlines most if not all the way, hell of a journey I would think!

Good luck and hope everything works out for you.

And I'm a Yorkshireman:notworthy:, the only difference between Yorkshire folk and Scottish folk is that we Yorkshire folk are blessed (or burdened) with a touch of generosity:laugh:.

It is possible to fly budget airlines most if not all the way, hell of a journey I would think!

Good luck and hope everything works out for you.

Oi we can be generous too lol I give to charity as much as I can :tongue:

So I spoke to a nice lady from sta travel again. She just gave me the price I mentioned before - around £450 for a one way. She said a return would likely be 950 and then £45 to change the dates plus the difference in fare and tax.

I think i might just buy the single and make sure I have separate money set aside for the return. I had a look on sky scanner and it doesn't seem to be loads dearer from

Australia to UK as long as im quite flexible with the dates

Oi we can be generous too lol I give to charity as much as I can :tongue:

So I spoke to a nice lady from sta travel again. She just gave me the price I mentioned before - around £450 for a one way. She said a return would likely be 950 and then £45 to change the dates plus the difference in fare and tax.

I think i might just buy the single and make sure I have separate money set aside for the return. I had a look on sky scanner and it doesn't seem to be loads dearer from

From the info you have given to date then I would agree with this decision, it gives you flexibility in your movements in OZ & NZ, along more freedom of choice for your return trip, from and via anywhere, anytime.

PS some people do say that I am a 'Charity Case' I will pm you my bank details for direct deposit donations:wink:

Edited by Keith and Linda

It has in the recent past seemed a lot more expensive if you're converting the AUD price into GBP. Now that AUD seems to be falling fast the converted price from this end doesn't look nearly so bad!