Shabby poorly built and...

Guest Guest26110

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Houses here are insulated by law. Must be different in Qld?

No, not different in Queensland, it's just that there's insulation and insulation. Just the same as there are modern (21st century) building practices and then there are Australian building practices.

Of

I remember a report some years ago...I think it was in the "New Scientist" magazine...which concluded that having a toilet in the bathroom was unhealthy because they discovered a high concentration of faecal matter on toothbrushes from toilet flushing.

Yes I read something similar.....also if you flush with the lid up the spray goes everywhere......how many people have a towel rail next to or very near to the loo...ugh....:wacko:

I _think_ the post refers to the general cost of energy going up. We all lead energy dense lifstyles, travelling large distances, leaving the aircon running etc. As the cost of energy increases, we'll have less money left for other things, which will lead to downward pressure on house prices.

Just to steer the convo back towards the original topic, I guess the OPs' gripe is that despite the relatively simple construction techniques and materials involved, Aussie houses are remarkably expensive. I know, land prices, labour costs, yada yada, but Australia isn't the only place with a nice coast. I don't think houses in Spain or Greece cost quite as much.

Exactly what I was getting at many thanks for the clarification, next time I'll be more clear myself :wink:

Spain and Greece have just been through one of the worst financial disasters that's ever happened. I saw an episode of Top Gear a couple of weeks back where they were travelling through Spain. The guys were talking about where to stay and Jeremy said just drive to the next town and pick a house. I wondered what he was talking about but they drove to the next town, where houses and roads and all the infrastructure finished off and no-one lived there. They drove past lots and lots of deserted properties that had been built at the wrong time and no-one had moved into them. They picked one of the nicest looking ones and spent the night there.

Next day they found another deserted town and turned the main streets around it into a race track it was deserted apart from the guys and film crew.

Sure you can go to Greece and Spain and America and pick up a property that by Australian standards seems a bargain. Would you be able to get a job and make a go of living there though?

Just hot those countries earlier than Australia. Australia was still in the process of its biggest economic boom in modern history. As such escaped the worst of the GFC. It would be a gambling man to think Australia will continue on this path. In fact the money is on just what the severity will be of the coming downturn.

Houses are way over valued and even selling to foreign investors and tax perks for property i nvestors is unlikely to prevent a downturn of some proportions. Just a question of when. Australia is very much a one track pony with China calling the shots. Just as it is very much alone in the world. Not too unlike Japan in the 90's. Property there has yet to recover from early 90 levels.

As for Top Gear, I'd suggest a pre arranged ploy and hardly a lawful act but something to be swallowed by soap followers.

No. what it means is that if you buy an old house 50s, 60s, 70s. The house itself may be worth bugger all. The value is all in the land and the house may get bulldozed.

Obviously building a new house on the land may cost a few hundred thousand but often this is quite a small proportion of the land value, depending on location of course.

The same principle applies in the UK but older houses are rarely knocked down to build again. Admittedly most houses are joined to another one making that much more difficult but perhaps, because of this, houses are built to last in the UK more than in Australia.

I am always amazed that insulation and double glazing seem almost unheard of in QLD as far as I can see and many don't seem to understand that a well insulated house keeps the heat out and not just the cold.

I don't think Top Gear is a good barometer of economic stability.

The point being that the cost of a villa near Marbella is less than a McMansion on the Gold Coast. Both offer similar lifestyles. Partially it's due to red type, partly due to tradies feeling the knock on effect of higher wages for tradie mine workers, and partly because most Aussies think it doesn't matter what you pay for a house, it'll be worth more next year. This latter factor is the dangerous one. Because for the last 20 years (in general) it's been true. That's created a whole generation chanting the same mantra. But it's all underpinned by "once in a meta-generation" economic conditions.

Just hot those countries earlier than Australia. Australia was still in the process of its biggest economic boom in modern history. As such escaped the worst of the GFC. It would be a gambling man to think Australia will continue on this path. In fact the money is on just what the severity will be of the coming downturn.

Houses are way over valued and even selling to foreign investors and tax perks for property i nvestors is unlikely to prevent a downturn of some proportions. Just a question of when. Australia is very much a one track pony with China calling the shots. Just as it is very much alone in the world. Not too unlike Japan in the 90's. Property there has yet to recover from early 90 levels.

As for Top Gear, I'd suggest a pre arranged ploy and hardly a lawful act but something to be swallowed by soap followers.

No doubt a correction is coming sometime in the future flag. Just like it did in Spain, Greece,America the UK. It's picking the time that's the problem isn't it.

The Top Gear race around the streets must have been staged I agree. I don't think even top gear would manage to get people to move out of a whole town though and take their furniture with them, to make it look uninhabited, just for a British TV show. I was really surprised myself just how deep the recession must have been in Spain.

I've seen a couple of documentaries about Ireland too, one where they were showing horses starving to death because people can't afford to feed them and another a bit like the Spanish situation showing new housing estates going to rack and ruin 'cos no-ones moved in.

One of our biggest disappointments in Australia is the houses. We just don't like them. We think they are flimsy and the layout poorly designed. Especially here in Perth they all seem to be the same inside. Big open plan kitchen and family area and then bedrooms - all with little or no character.

The open plan idea - I know it can be great for families but not everyone wants this. When we entertain or someone comes into our house they enter into this area and have to pass through it. It means the kitchen area has to be kept spotless at all times. We like a kitchen with a door on it so you can hide your sins away! I hate anyone being able to see me when I am cooking.

Toilets - there is a separate toilet within the main ensuite but other than that the other toilet is not in the family bathroom either, but in the laundry room - whose stupid idea was that? Again it means when you have guests you have to tidy the laundry room and hands have to be washed in the laundry sink.

Bedrooms - main bedroom is on the front - right next to the front door so need to keep the door shut all the time. Again a stupid idea. How many times have we heard of cars careering through someone's bedroom while they are asleep and I hate the idea of people passing not far from where I am sleeping. Remaining bedroom down a corridor off main family area, although one of them opens almost immediately from the family area - and no door between this and bedroom corridor - how on earth are kids supposed to sleep? Also this is right next to laundry room and the toilet is also the other side of the bedroom wall so no-one dares flush in the middle of the night or early monring for fear of waking anyone up! Other bedrooms not far down the corridor, so no one dares put the kettle on in the kitchen if they get up early as it can be heard through the whole house! You can hear everything, even the fridge door opening. I hate the one storey layout - bedrooms should be upstairs.

And don't get me started on insulation. We keep watching 'My Flat Pack Home' with Amanda Lamb. Wish we would import one but I guess the monopolised Australian building industry won't allow it. Luckily we are only renting at the moment, but it is a serious consideration in the overall question of whether we want to stay here long term. The landlords put the house on the market last year - it didn't sell - at a price of just under $600,000. I wouldn't pay half that for it!

Edited by Bridgeman

The same principle applies in the UK but older houses are rarely knocked down to build again. Admittedly most houses are joined to another one making that much more difficult but perhaps, because of this, houses are built to last in the UK more than in Australia.

I am always amazed that insulation and double glazing seem almost unheard of in QLD as far as I can see and many don't seem to understand that a well insulated house keeps the heat out and not just the cold.

Well some of us do have insulation, but regards to double glazing, wouldn't even consider it, as we have floor to ceiling windows in 3 rooms, and 3 of the walls in the family room to take advantage of the views. We have the windows open most of the time, fans in all the rooms, with plenty of cross ventilation, and a whirlybird gig thing on the roof.

Lots of us have block out curtains on the windows, and we have Varisol? Blinds on the large windows, for when the sun is full on them. Which keep the heat in in winter and the sun out in summer. Much cheaper than double glazing, and very effective for the climate.

we hardly used the aircon last summer, and have fans in all the rooms, solar on the roof for cheap electricity.

to be honest on the Sunshine Coast we have about 2 months pretty hot humid weather in summer and less than that cold weather in winter,so most of the year is pretty much perfect.

No doubt a correction is coming sometime in the future flag. Just like it did in Spain, Greece,America the UK. It's picking the time that's the problem isn't it.

The Top Gear race around the streets must have been staged I agree. I don't think even top gear would manage to get people to move out of a whole town though and take their furniture with them, to make it look uninhabited, just for a British TV show. I was really surprised myself just how deep the recession must have been in Spain.

I've seen a couple of documentaries about Ireland too, one where they were showing horses starving to death because people can't afford to feed them and another a bit like the Spanish situation showing new housing estates going to rack and ruin 'cos no-ones moved in.

Shouldn't have been allowed to develop in the first place. House speculation across many countries has led to a very volatile situation. Banks and governments facilitated greed and the masses can't get enough, regardless of the pitfalls and great personal debt incurred.

I take heart thought you are appearing to take note of the severity of the situation awaiting us. It will be grim and worst of all it was so un necessary. A house should have remained an investment in live in not to flip every year and bring dire results to populations.

One of our biggest disappointments in Australia is the houses. We just don't like them. We think they are flimsy and the layout poorly designed. Especially here in Perth they all seem to be the same inside. Big open plan kitchen and family area and then bedrooms - all with little or no character.

The open plan idea - I know it can be great for families but not everyone wants this. When we entertain or someone comes into our house they enter into this area and have to pass through it. It means the kitchen area has to be kept spotless at all times. We like a kitchen with a door on it so you can hide your sins away! I hate anyone being able to see me when I am cooking.

Toilets - there is a separate toilet within the main ensuite but other than that the other toilet is not in the family bathroom either, but in the laundry room - whose stupid idea was that? Again it means when you have guests you have to tidy the laundry room and hands have to be washed in the laundry sink.

Bedrooms - main bedroom is on the front - right next to the front door so need to keep the door shut all the time. Again a stupid idea. How many times have we heard of cars careering through someone's bedroom while they are asleep and I hate the idea of people passing not far from where I am sleeping. Remaining bedroom down a corridor off main family area, although one of them opens almost immediately from the family area - and no door between this and bedroom corridor - how on earth are kids supposed to sleep? Also this is right next to laundry room and the toilet is also the other side of the bedroom wall so no-one dares flush in the middle of the night or early monring for fear of waking anyone up! Other bedrooms not far down the corridor, so no one dares put the kettle on in the kitchen if they get up early as it can be heard through the whole house! You can hear everything, even the fridge door opening. I hate the one storey layout - bedrooms should be upstairs.

And don't get me started on insulation. We keep watching 'My Flat Pack Home' with Amanda Lamb. Wish we would import one but I guess the monopolised Australian building industry won't allow it. Luckily we are only renting at the moment, but it is a serious consideration in the overall question of whether we want to stay here long term. The landlords put the house on the market last year - it didn't sell - at a price of just under $600,000. I wouldn't pay half that for it!

You can buy a flat pack home from bunnings, complete with insulation, cladding, double glazing if you want it. A friend of mine is putting one up at the moment near Dunsborough. Roof goes on this weekend. He's been labouring for the builder and they all seem pretty happy with the quality.

You have to shop around for a design that suits you. One of the things we noticed about Perth was the houses seemed all different on estates, not like the UK where you get 300 houses all looking the same. We had a look round North Shore near Hillarys when we first came and there were loads of different designs. Single storey open plan, separate rooms if you wanted them, bedrooms on the front in some, round the back in others. All on the same estate, built by different builders.

Shouldn't have been allowed to develop in the first place. House speculation across many countries has led to a very volatile situation. Banks and governments facilitated greed and the masses can't get enough, regardless of the pitfalls and great personal debt incurred.

I take heart thought you are appearing to take note of the severity of the situation awaiting us. It will be grim and worst of all it was so un necessary. A house should have remained an investment in live in not to flip every year and bring dire results to populations.

I take note, but I don't panic about it or fear that it's going to be as bad as you are predicting flag.

We bought and lived in Spain for a while and the only similarities to Aus, is it gets sunny.. I saw many more shacks in Spain then ive seen here in Aus, in fact so much so we did build in Spain to get something half decent in the area we wanted, and don't even get me going on how electric wires dangling across the streets is deemed 'normal',,lol..

Cal x

No, not different in Queensland, it's just that there's insulation and insulation. Just the same as there are modern (21st century) building practices and then there are Australian building practices.

It is different in Qld. No way you'll build a house here without insulation everywhere and to a high level.

Pick your own layout as most people I know have done. So odd that poms think everything is the same and are unable to think outside the square.

Ever watched "Grand Designs"????(and not the Oz version either!)Thats a ridiculous thing to say!I admit,I don't like open plan living.I prefer separate rooms.Much easier to keep cool.warm imho.My siblings have open plan houses,and none of them use the "lounge room",they all just use their family rooms which are open plan and attached to the kitchen.

We bought and lived in Spain for a while and the only similarities to Aus, is it gets sunny.. I saw many more shacks in Spain then ive seen here in Aus, in fact so much so we did build in Spain to get something half decent in the area we wanted, and don't even get me going on how electric wires dangling across the streets is deemed 'normal',,lol..

Cal x

Well, both countries produce housing which is "fit for purpose".

The question is: was Spain as expensive to build in as Australia? I'm talking pre-GFC too. Or put it another way. Which other country has such a high cost to build for an equivalent spec?