Shabby poorly built and...

Guest Guest26110

Our ensuite is open plan with the bedroom, so the toilet had to go in its own little room, with window and extractor fan (for the wife of course) but the basin is in the main ensuite, see no problem with that one. The main family bathroom has separate toilet room with a basin. Down stairs we have another bathroom with separate toilet, this toilet has no basin as it was never really quite finished off to plan, but using the bathroom basin right next to it has not proved problematic or seem strange to do so.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest26110

I like to wash my hands ( more importantly i like my kids to also) after going to the toilet tbh I think its very unhygienic to have to go into a separate room to wash your hands. Basic hygiene I call it.

Edited by Guest26110

We have a toilet and a separate bathroom in the next room where the sink is.

what is so terrible about that ?

Perhaps I'm opposite to you.

I don't like seeing a toilet in the main bathroom where the shower and bath are.

I don't really like those miniscule sinks that some old houses have in the toilet either.

Having said all that I do have an ensuite of my bedroom with shower toilet and sink.

But I don't like that setup in the main bathroom.

Agreed. Looking at pommy houses last week on Escape to the Country and seeing toilets in bathrooms was quiet off putting to us. A toilet is a toilet and should be seperate end of.

So Australia house toilets don't have the sink in them?

Some yes but not usually as the toilet is a separate room next to a bathroom. Big houses it will be a separate room with it's own sink. A toilet located against the wall in a bathroom like most pommy houses on ETTC is gross!

I like to wash my hands ( more importantly i like my kids to also) after going to the toilet tbh I think its very unhygienic to have to go into a separate room to wash your hands. Basic hygiene I call it.

I have to agree with this. We have a separate toilet but we have a basin in it. It's only a small basin as it's only a small space but it's big enough to wash your hands in. To me the idea of touching the door handles going from the toilet to the bathroom yo wash your hands is just wrong. I'd feel the need to disinfect the door handle every time someone had been to the toilet.

I have to agree with this. We have a separate toilet but we have a basin in it. It's only a small basin as it's only a small space but it's big enough to wash your hands in. To me the idea of touching the door handles going from the toilet to the bathroom yo wash your hands is just wrong. I'd feel the need to disinfect the door handle every time someone had been to the toilet.

That's what your shirt front is for!!

On bogs not having a sink: when I was a kid (80's) the houses I lived in 'up north' in the UK had a bathroom (bath and sink) plus a separate bog. I remember my dad knocked the bathroom and the bog room into one in the late 80's in the house we were in at the time. After that, all the houses I have lived in in the UK (and most that I have visited) had a bathroom complete with bath, sink and bog all in one room.

Maybe changing trends; money saving on the build cost (one less door and wall to put in); or a bit of both? Anyone know?

All in one or separate doesn't bother me, but there is an advantage to separate - if you have guests over and your partner is having a bath, your guests can still go for a number 1 or 2 without disturbing the OH or entering your bedroom to access your en-suite.

There is a downside as well. Your guests can't wash their hands without disturbing your OH or entering your bedroom to access the en-suite......

O

On bogs not having a sink: when I was a kid (80's) the houses I lived in 'up north' in the UK had a bathroom (bath and sink) plus a separate bog. I remember my dad knocked the bathroom and the bog room into one in the late 80's in the house we were in at the time. After that, all the houses I have lived in in the UK (and most that I have visited) had a bathroom complete with bath, sink and bog all in one room.

Maybe changing trends; money saving on the build cost (one less door and wall to put in); or a bit of both? Anyone know?

All in one or separate doesn't bother me, but there is an advantage to separate - if you have guests over and your partner is having a bath, your guests can still go for a number 1 or 2 without disturbing the OH or entering your bedroom to access your en-suite.

There is a downside as well. Your guests can't wash their hands without disturbing your OH or entering your bedroom to access the en-suite......

O

Yep toilet in a bathroom is just weird. Imagine a teenage daughter like mine taking her usual 45 mins to an hour shower etc and nobody else able to access the toilet for that period...........

Sorry but I could never live in a house that didn't have a sink beside the toilet. That's unhygienic. There is hardly any point to washing your hands if you've already touched everything. I can understand having a bath/shower and a basin separate from a toilet but surely not if there is no second sink beside the toilet. Ugh. :eek:

Edited by weaver
typo

Sorry but I could never live in a house that didn't have a sink beside the toilet. That's unhygienic. There is hardly any point to washing your hands if you've already touched everything. I can understand having a bath/shower and a basin separate from a toilet but surely not if there is no second sink beside the toilet. Ugh. :eek:

Mainly, ensuites have a toilet, sink and either a shower or bath. You don't want to bugger about in the middle of the night.

House bathrooms are normally separate from the toilet, so if you have guests, kids or a big household, rooms are not blocked off when usage is high.

I don't get the hygiene argument that they should be kept separate either. If they are separate, and assumedly you have the toilet door closed....the first think you do is open the door with dirty fingers before you can find somewhere to wash your hands. Leaving it for the next person...

I also thought the Aussies might just prefer to pee in the bath, but that's another thing.

If you wash your hands every time you leave the toilet it is hardly an issue.

If you think about it you touch lots of things before washing and after toilet, eg pull up pants. Trousers zip buttons, press flush, air freshener. I think you are being a bit paranoid.

If you think about it you touch lots of things before washing and after toilet, eg pull up pants. Trousers zip buttons, press flush, air freshener. I think you are being a bit paranoid.

Just like toilets in a shopping centre or commercial building

I was watching a property programme where a flat in Melbourne was viewed and the presenter said 'you'd have to renovate the kitchen and bathroom if you want to live here but it would be OK to rent' There is an assumption that renters are second class citizens who don't expect or require houses to be up to standard. I find this really odd - I'd struggle to rent my UK property to my target rental market without it being of high standard. I have been incredibly shocked by the standard of housing in Brisbane - stuff like balconies sloped into the house which traps the rain. And the use of timber frames to save money despite the termite threat. Quality is so low it all seems a bit temporary - like houses are built for a 50 year lifespan maybe.

I was watching a property programme where a flat in Melbourne was viewed and the presenter said 'you'd have to renovate the kitchen and bathroom if you want to live here but it would be OK to rent' There is an assumption that renters are second class citizens who don't expect or require houses to be up to standard. I find this really odd - I'd struggle to rent my UK property to my target rental market without it being of high standard. I have been incredibly shocked by the standard of housing in Brisbane - stuff like balconies sloped into the house which traps the rain. And the use of timber frames to save money despite the termite threat. Quality is so low it all seems a bit temporary - like houses are built for a 50 year lifespan maybe.

As long as that?!

Thanks for the tip. I'll pour a glass of water on the balcony on a second viewing to see where the water goes.

I like to wash my hands ( more importantly i like my kids to also) after going to the toilet

Of course...that goes without saying. Parents spend half their time...or so it seems :rolleyes:...drumming the "wash your hands" message into their kids' heads.

I think its very unhygienic to have to go into a separate room to wash your hands. Basic hygiene I call it

It's a far greater health risk in public toilets...and how many of them have basins in the same cubicle?

I remember a report some years ago...I think it was in the "New Scientist" magazine...which concluded that having a toilet in the bathroom was unhealthy because they discovered a high concentration of faecal matter on toothbrushes from toilet flushing.

I remember a report some years ago...I think it was in the "New Scientist" magazine...which concluded that having a toilet in the bathroom was unhealthy because they discovered a high concentration of faecal matter on toothbrushes from toilet flushing.

There was a programme about it too. They put UV stuff in the toilet, flushed it and then showed how many "particals" fly up out of the toilet from the water pressure and inevitably end up on your toothbrush on the sink next to the toilet :eek: They also land on the taps and the door handles ect. So having the sink in the same room is not necessarily more hygienic unless you put the lid down every time (be honest boys :rolleyes:)

A separate toilet is a must to me, you can dettol wipe the door handle but not your toothbrush :laugh:

Edited by M1cha3la

And the taps themselves.

We need to toughen ourselves up against bacteria, gee how do we get around the whole of life without touching things where there is a possibility of some form of contamination?! our bodies in general learn to fight them, just like getting inoculations for other diseases.