Australia - Share your money saving tips!

rattatoile

Hi all,

Frequent viewer rare poster of this forum! Me & the Wife are arriving in OZ in Febraury, and I'd be interested to know it what people do to save money in OZ! I'm a keen voucher hunter / money saver back in the UK, firmly believing that every little helps! so would love to know what is out there in OZ, and what tips users have [emoji41]

In the UK, I use apps such as Shopitize, Voucher Codes, TopCashBack (a lot), and have a savings card with Asda where we do our weekly shop. They vow to be 10% cheaper than other major supermarkets or they'll give you a voucher for the difference. We put these vouchers lot out savings card, and also round up our weekly shop to the nearest £5 and see what we have at Xmas. To can put £144 onto each card ad Asda the give you £6 at Xmas. So far we have £144 on one card and £29 on the 2nd - this pays for our shopping all over the holiday period plus we buy kitchen equipment needed throughout the year.

Love to hear everyone else's little tips!!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a thing called Kare Card: https://karekard.com.au where you can buy a voucher for petrol or certain retailers and get 5% off if you do it through your Kare Card. I only discovered it a couple of weeks ago and haven't used it yet it but might be worth a look?

There is also the Entertainment Book which is very popular: http://www.entertainmentbook.com.au it has vouchers for money off restaurants and activities. It's around $65 I think but worth it, especially in your first year when you'll be going out and doing lots of exploring.

ETA I think the entertainment book is valid for one year, June to June so be careful not to buy it just before the new one comes out!

Some supermarkets give you 5c off per litre of petrol if you spend over so much.Some tips,handwash dishes rather than use a dishwasher,use cloth serviettes rather than paper ones,use cloth dishwashing clothes rather than disposable so you can re wash them,buy the larger shower gels/shampoo's(sold in Big W,not sure about other stores),buy a cafetiere and use ground coffee as opposed to instant,grow your own food,use the patio/verandah to dry clothes in cooler weather rather than the clothes dryer,most libraries have computers to use for free if you're stuck or when you first arrive,or even if you don't fancy paying for internet at home,try to live close to where you work,buy a bike and cycle,some fast food places have pretty good specials.Hungry Jacks was offering buy one whopper (burger)get one free every Tuesday,Dominoes have good specials for pick ups.

Don't drink, don't smoke, don't eat out.

thats where my money goes, so if you don't do any of the above you will be rolling in it:cool:

Never smoked, no longer drink or eat out, bought daughter a horse, definitely NOT rolling in it.

I read somewhere that someone took about 500 pounds worth of cosmetics with them (in their move cube) because they cost so much more in Australia. ... no personal experience because I haven't moved yet, but on holiday I have noticed some cosmetics were nearly twice the price. Last time my daughter was home she bought Marks & Sparks sale clothes as she reckons they are better quality for similar prices.

I always buy shampoo and conditioner at one of the discount shops - Cheap as Chips, Browse 'n' Save, whatever you have in your part of Australia. Usually hugely cheaper than the supermarkets and often well known brands (Schwarzkopf etc). I never pay more than $3!

For anyone that travels or holidays a lot, it is worth looking at the ANZ Platinum Card as that gives free overseas travel insurance for the whole family, plus free excess reduction on car hire within Australia.

Second the farmers' markets comment, and if you like marmalades, befriend people with citrus tres in their gardens - they always have way too much fruit and are often happy to give it away (in exchange for a pot of marmalade!)

Oh, and to put the marmalade in once you've made it, buy cheap glasses from an Op Shop (charity shop) and get some of those plastic circles and elastic bands to put on the top. That way when the marmalade is finished, you still have a glass to use!

Oh yes, and Tuesdays (Tight Arse Tuesdays as they are called!) are the best nights to do all sorts of things - lots of cinemas cheaper on Tuesdays, lots of restaurants do Kids Eat Free on Tuesdays etc

You won't find a voucher culture like there is in the US or even the smaller one in the UK, especially when it comes to the supermarkets. There is a duopoly here - Coles and Woolworths. They are expensive and the quality of their fresh produce is highly questionable to put it mildly. States have other smaller affairs - here in SA we have Foodland, etc., and ALDI are coming to town next year, and already exist in other states. If you can find the time you can trawl around the farmers' markets, but if you have several kids and jobs then you could well get sucked into Coles like it or not, because you're going to have to go there anyway to buy non-food items. I'll be frank on this - I find Australia is not the best place on earth to find bargains and deals. Supermarkets do have loyalty reward card schemes though if you want to make use of those.

Aside from supermarkets the best advice I would give is buy as much as you can from overseas on the internet. Aussie retail prices are so outrageous that often even when you include postage costs the overseas item is significantly cheaper. This is especially true for books and box-set DVDs in my experience. Don't be put off though - often Aussie wages are stronger than UK ones, and the real estate is usually better value, at least here in SA anyway. I still rate Australia as a place to live and raise kids, but don't be too surprised at the retail prices when you first arrive!

Better to suss it all out when your here. The economising / saving landscape is really quite different and can vary a lot by state / area !

Hi all,

Frequent viewer rare poster of this forum! Me & the Wife are arriving in OZ in Febraury, and I'd be interested to know it what people do to save money in OZ! I'm a keen voucher hunter / money saver back in the UK, firmly believing that every little helps! so would love to know what is out there in OZ, and what tips users have [emoji41]

In the UK, I use apps such as Shopitize, Voucher Codes, TopCashBack (a lot), and have a savings card with Asda where we do our weekly shop. They vow to be 10% cheaper than other major supermarkets or they'll give you a voucher for the difference. We put these vouchers lot out savings card, and also round up our weekly shop to the nearest £5 and see what we have at Xmas. To can put £144 onto each card ad Asda the give you £6 at Xmas. So far we have £144 on one card and £29 on the 2nd - this pays for our shopping all over the holiday period plus we buy kitchen equipment needed throughout the year.

I think you are exaggerating a bit mate.

If you're making the case Australia is cheaper than the UK I think you're facing an uphill battle. In fact the latest World Bank report has just listed Australia as the most expensive place to live in the entire G20, which apparently only surprises some of us.

Do your main shop at Aldi and top up at Coles or Woolworths. If you are near a fresh food market they are usually good but it takes time of course. Get solar panels on the roof to save on electricity. If you are desperate, when it is hot cool off at the shops ( cheaper than running your own aircon) Buy electrical good etc online but factor in the delivery costs. Buy bulk wines online e.g. graysonline. Buy plants and seedlings at op shops and fetes. Check out the shop-a docket online sites to see if there is anything you want- good for short breaks, restaurants, cafes etc. Check the back of your supermarket dockets to see if there are any good offers. Check out webjet for cheap flights.

If you're making the case Australia is cheaper than the UK I think you're facing an uphill battle. In fact the latest World Bank report has just listed Australia as the most expensive place to live in the entire G20, which apparently only surprises some of us.

Why do poms like you have such a hard time working out that it isn't like Blighty and there are huge differences here from state to state or territory?

Why do poms like you have such a hard time working out that it isn't like Blighty and there are huge differences here from state to state or territory?

I have lived in two different Australian states, as a child and an adult, spent over a quarter of my life in the country, and raised a family here. I am perfectly aware of the different in states and territories, and also, funnily enough, that this isn't Britain, but again I return to the point which is Australia is significantly more expensive to live in than the UK, end of debate. If you are so confident in Australia being cheaper, then please go ahead and make your case, and we'll discuss it, but leave the ad hominems on the doorstep, thanks.

Not sure I would agree that there is no voucher culture over here. From the replies above, I would hazard a guess those replying don't seem to bother with them.

First off, though unpopular, Coles and Woollies are always at it. Spending $150 each week for 3 weeks at woolies will give us a $45 voucher. No biggy for us as it is where we shop anyway. Recently both have been firing off offers. Got OH a 'new' woolies rewards card and they gave $15 off voucher after signing up and often better the established card deals - I guess to try and draw the 'new' person in.

We have just used up $200 worth of coles rewards points that have accumulated over the past couple of years. I know we all pay for it, but why not use it when you can.

There are lots of voucher code sites with x % off shopping/insurance etc. Also cashback sites. Only use http://www.qwibble.com.au/

Just got 15% off travel insurance. This was after comparing others and it was the best and cheapest anyway without discount

There are a few bargain sites. The only one I bother with as it covers it all is https://www.ozbargain.com.au/. This shows the latest vouchers and deals posted by members and lots of comments by people with their success or failures.

Also you can get those group vouchers, http://www.groupon.com.au etc, cheap meal deals etc. Don't bother myself as the deals seem to have strings attached eg $100 car service and you get slugged for other problems you never had etc

Anyway, the point is, lots of it around if you want to look for it

Did I read this week Tigerair were advertising flights for $13 (Adel-Melb or Sydney)and flights to Bali for $88?http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/airfare-insanity-continues-for-halloween/story-fni6uo1m-1227108242689?sv=91fa6ddeb11d60d55d624697a4223b7&nk=ff9ef2e03a88c344c9576b202a8ad2a2#itm=newscomau%7Cnews%7Cnca-news-most-read-state%7C1%7Cthe-advertiser%7Cindex%7Cnational-south-australia&itmt=1414824819670

Just found the link:

If you are looking to buy something check out http://www.lasoo.com.au - this searches all the weekly special offer catalogues and is handy for when a store offers to price match. I do this for printer cartridges and it has saved quite a lot.

Car parts we have found are very expensive here. Luckily my OH is pretty handy and often orders the part from the UK or US and fits it himself. This is even parts for cars that are - or used to be - made here, such as my Holden Astra. Can be as much as a quarter of the cost.

Gumtree is excellent - have got a lot of bargains from there - and it's a good place to sell from as well. And for books, which for some reason (possible the lack of an Amazon here) are incredibly expensive here, use http://www.bookdepository.co.uk which delivers for free here to Australia.

Best of luck to anyone wanting a cheap flight in Australia. It's all relative, of course, but again, you can fly 1000 kms out of London for $100AUD return, but a similar flight in Australia will be more like $350AUD.

Although Air Asia is my new best friend. Very impressed with their planes and their prices for flights to Asia :smile:

Buy most of your grub at ALDI and your local market. Don't buy veggies/fruit in supermarket - crap quality and far more expensive and the markets are fantastic here.

Buy goods on line from UK where possible - books, clothes, I even get my shoes from UK. Buying stuff in pounds with ozzie dollars rocks!

well here in wa we dont have aldi .... but we use spudshed for our meats and veggies ..... and top up at coles / woolies for everything else ..... there are plenty cheap sites for bargains ... i frequently use .... scoopon....groupon......catch of the day and living social lots of vouchers for meals haircuts holidays etc ..... infact just booked a 6hr fishing trip for o/h including lunch for $99 ...bargain ...also one major tip i would give anyone starting of is to start small and build up .... in my opinion no one gives a rats ass if uve got the latest telly / or flash car ..... beer in the fridge is more important ... haha

mrs keily

Buy most of your grub at ALDI and your local market. Don't buy veggies/fruit in supermarket - crap quality and far more expensive and the markets are fantastic here.

Buy goods on line from UK where possible - books, clothes, I even get my shoes from UK. Buying stuff in pounds with ozzie dollars rocks!

I second the comment about fresh produce from Coles/WW - the winter crop in particular is appalling and would never be tolerated in a British supermarket. I bought a parsnip in Coles two months ago and amused my family by tying a knot in it less than 24 hours after purchase, so bendy was it. We buy most of our fresh stuff from farmers' markets, but get it delivered because we rarely have the time to visit them. It's the same price but much better quality.

Archived