Australia - Share your money saving tips!

rattatoile

I'm still not convinced re the dishwashers v handwashing.I have asked on a different forum for some more information.I know when I stayed with my twin,who has a dw,that the tablets you use are expensive compared to dishwashing liquid.My kitchen sink is quite small,and I don't fill it to the top!If I wash up in the morning and I'm home all day,I can re use the water during the day to either wash out coffee cups,or soak something until I do the tea dishes.If you use an eco friendly dw liquid (which I do)you can also water your plants with it if you wanted to.Dishwashers use electricity,and don't last a life time either,whereas most if not all sinks would!

We were actually the last people in the Western world to get a dishwasher, washing by hand until this year, so... my understanding is they cost more money to run, but they use less water. Also as far as the tablet goes, you only use one per day because you stack the thing up as you go, but with hand washing you wash up several times a day to clear the draining board. All I know is it saves me a lot of time and effort and I'm not going back!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sign up for a Flybuys card. This gives you points when you shop at Coles, Target,Shell petrol and other shops. You get email offers as well, which when acitivated give money off various things in stores or discounts on tickets etc and also double or sometimes triple points on your shop. I was surprised how quickly the points built up. You can redeem them for goods in various stores or get Flybuys dollars to spend. Have just bought a load of kids clothes in Target - quality is adequate as they are for every day and kids grow out of them so quick - didn't cost me a cent as I used Flybuys points.

We were actually the last people in the Western world to get a dishwasher, washing by hand until this year, so... my understanding is they cost more money to run, but they use less water. Also as far as the tablet goes, you only use one per day because you stack the thing up as you go, but with hand washing you wash up several times a day to clear the draining board. All I know is it saves me a lot of time and effort and I'm not going back!

Pretty much nailed the whole debate on the head there Scrutineer! economy wise, it could be argued, that there will be little difference either way, it is more of what time and effort one wants to allocate to the task.

I haven't lived in Oz for over four years, but I am a certified credit counsellor and here are some of my tips.

Buy fruit and veg when in season, freeze for later use. Buy in bulk non perishable items when they are on sale. Places like Best for Less are great for underwear and such.

Remember, any place you live will only be as expensive as you make it. Once you lived in a place for a while, you will find cheaper places to shop at.

Cheers

Karen

Both a money and time-saving tip from me:

Plan your meals in advance and buy all the ingredients in one weekly shop. You'll be much less likely to buy expensive 'quick and easy' meals like frozen pizza. You'll eat healthier and if you plan to have one or two vegetarian meals a week then you'll cut down on your meat consumption (expensive). Buy your veg at the market, your meat at the butcher and have anything else you need delivered by Coles/Woolies to avoid having to actually go there.

I guess it depends how many times you wash up?We usually only have to do dishes once a day as there is only two of us.I look at it as an opportunity to relax!I put the radio on,usually Radio 4 so its not music,and take my time doing the dishes,whilst glancing out the window at the birds,butterflies,bee's and so on lol Some people look at doing dishes as a chore,some don't! ;) I also enjoy the electricity I am saving.

Both a money and time-saving tip from me:

Plan your meals in advance and buy all the ingredients in one weekly shop. You'll be much less likely to buy expensive 'quick and easy' meals like frozen pizza. You'll eat healthier and if you plan to have one or two vegetarian meals a week then you'll cut down on your meat consumption (expensive). Buy your veg at the market, your meat at the butcher and have anything else you need delivered by Coles/Woolies to avoid having to actually go there.

Can't speak for every Coles store, but be advised the ones here in Adelaide we have used charge a nice little surcharge for the delivery. I'm not talking about the $20 delivery fee - I'm talking about the fact all the online prices are 10% - 15% more expensive than the shelf price in the shops. A nice little blag because it took us a couple of goes until we realised it and then we stopped using the service.

Is it really that hard to wash dishes by hand?:eek:HmmI guess it depends how many times per day you wash up right?We only wash dishes twice a day,sometimes only once.More energy by hand?Hows that work?I actually enjoy doing dishes.Its actually quite relaxing!

I'm wondering though,ok most sinks these days are stainless steel,and I'm guessing so are dishwashers,but dw's also contain components,wires and so on.

By "energy" I meant electricity. I use my dishwasher every other day...full load... my dishwasher uses 11 litres of water and costs 20 cents a load including heating the water. Sink takes 20+litres without rinsing. Costs more to heat water in sink than it does to run dishwasher. Plus with a very busy working life it is a God send. In my time off I prefer to be outside in fresh air.

Yeah but is this factoring in the cost of the dishwasher in the first place?

Yeah and the sink, tea towels, dishcloths, brushes, scour pads? Lightbulb moment! how does a dishwasher machine aid cleaning the prep, cooking and eating surfaces?

As I have said before there will be valid arguments either way as to what will in the end very little difference, so it all comes down to personal lifestyle choice. No bickering needed as to which is right or wrong, cheap or expensive, enviro friendly or not!

Archived