Business class. Is it worth it??

fifi69

Never flown anything apart from cattle class. Looking at flights back to the UK in may.

OH says he isn't coming, so I'm wondering if its worth splashing out seeing as its just me.

prices are making my eyes water though. I've not got long legs, so don't feel cramped in economy, I always book an aisle seat so I can wander at leisure, I've never suffered with jet lag....but I just hate flying.

What's it like turning right? Which airline gives the best business experience? Who gives the best value for money?

any tips on getting business at a better price?

It's such a quandary isn't it? What about one of those new deals where you go business class on one leg and put up with cattle on the other? I would love to go business class but not sure I'll ever be able to justify it. It's just 24 hours and the price difference is so great. I wish I had a job where I could fly in business class to experience it but I bet it's bloody lovely to be able to stretch out. I'm skinny and under 5 foot 7 and yet don't think I really fit properly in a cattle class seat. Surely as the general population get bigger they must consider changing seat size?

It's such a quandary isn't it? What about one of those new deals where you go business class on one leg and put up with cattle on the other? I would love to go business class but not sure I'll ever be able to justify it. It's just 24 hours and the price difference is so great. I wish I had a job where I could fly in business class to experience it but I bet it's bloody lovely to be able to stretch out. I'm skinny and under 5 foot 7 and yet don't think I really fit properly in a cattle class seat. Surely as the general population get bigger they must consider changing seat size?

Yes looked at just flying business for the longest sector, ie emirates I can cope with the Dubai to UK / UK Dubai bit, seems to pass quite quick, but the Dubai to Perth sector does my head in. I'm like you, I look at those prices for business and think...I could have a new kitchen for that:dull:

Just that this is probably going to be my last trip back for a couple of years, should I just pay it it and make it part of the holiday?

Yes looked at just flying business for the longest sector, ie emirates I can cope with the Dubai to UK / UK Dubai bit, seems to pass quite quick, but the Dubai to Perth sector does my head in. I'm like you, I look at those prices for business and think...I could have a new kitchen for that:dull:

Just that this is probably going to be my last trip back for a couple of years, should I just pay it it and make it part of the holiday?

Only if you have it spare...if not..get the kitchen...or another holiday! You'll maybe get an upgrade, my friend got one when travelling as a single female last year..if you get there early can't you ask nicely for one and if they feel like it they will?

We paid an extra £55 each to fly from LHR to SYD with Singapore Airlines.preferred economy seating on the double decker A380 . We chose Row 71 upstairs which is the 1st economy row behind all of the posh seats. There are only 10 rows or so of economy upstairs so it is nice and quiet as well as being good for toilets etc. No doubt you are aware that Singapore provide great food and service even in economy. Row 71 has nobody in front of you which results in nobody putting their seat back and allows you to relax. The seats are decent and there are over 200 films to choose from IIRC. We then have a nap in Singapore between legs.

Personally I arrived feeling refreshed on the same flight in a standard seat upstairs on the same plane so I am sure that the extra legroom etc will be even more refreshing. I couldn’t justify paying more to sit in business and could put the cash difference to much better use instead of wasting it whilst on a plane. That said, I would choose business class every time if money was no object.

Do it Fi! As you know, I upgraded to business class earlier this year with my Skyward points, from Dubai to Perth and I thought it was great. I'm just under 4ft 11ins so I have leg room in economy, but it was lovely to stretch out and lie down. I slept for 4 hours, I don't usually sleep at all, and I wasn't jet lagged!

Only if you have it spare...if not..get the kitchen...or another holiday! You'll maybe get an upgrade, my friend got one when travelling as a single female last year..if you get there early can't you ask nicely for one and if they feel like it they will?

Thanks HH, no I haven't got it spare, wish I had, just hate flying.

would be willing to spend a bit more, to ease the trauma, but the prices I've seen are ridiculous.

Just wondering if I had missed some magical way of getting business class cheaper!!

Do it Fi! As you know, I upgraded to business class earlier this year with my Skyward points, from Dubai to Perth and I thought it was great. I'm just under 4ft 11ins so I have leg room in economy, but it was lovely to stretch out and lie down. I slept for 4 hours, I don't usually sleep at all, and I wasn't jet lagged!

Haha I know you loved it....but poor me doesn't have any points to redeem. Would you pay to travel this way?

Guest The Pom Queen

We considered this for America with me not being 100% we weren't sure how I would cope. We decided to look at the bid upgrades they do but it was still going to be a fortune and we just don't have that kind of money. The journey there we were on a 3 seater near the window and I must admit I really struggled. Coming back we went for a middle row at the back of a section and it wasn't as claustrophobic.

I think if you are a frequent flyer and you have points to do it then its a great idea otherwise I will stick to cattle class unless on a domestic flight and I get a cheap upgrade

Whether or not it's worth it, all depends on how much money you have to spare.

I'd imagine that it's worth it for David Beckham who earns millions per year.

For me, an extra couple of grand for a 24 hour trip, earning no where near what DB earns, it just isn't worth it.

I fly business class all the time for my job...but that is company policy. Nice when someone else is picking up the bill, that big difference in cost would be better spent on other things if I had to pay.

I'm flying long haul on holiday next week with BA and, as its my money, I'm only prepared to pay economy fare - if I wait until 24 hours before departure I can go online to choose my seats at no cost.

BUT....I can go online now, look at the seat layout, and by paying an extra GBP28 (each way) per seat, bag a seat for each of us in Exit rows with extra legroom - that IS worth it to me.

Don't know if your chosen airline has a similar scheme, but well worth a quick check.

Otherwise, see if they have a Premium Economy section - you pay a bit more (alright, quite a lot more, but not as much as business) for bigger seats and legroom, but with economy meals

I always go business class and **** the cost. I just think of the money other people spend on booze, fags, gambling, whatever, if I feel guilty about the cost, but I don't.

I wish my late parents had flown business class now, instead of squeezing themselves like sardines into economy. I would not have begrudged them the little bit less I'd have inherited from them.

Some of the airlines are cheaper than the likes of BA/Qantas/Singapore Airlines etc. I flew once with Asiana and it was wonderful. And have a stop over for a couple of nights too.

If that happened to me it would make my trip! Not likely though, I look too scruffy lol

I always go business class and **** the cost. I just think of the money other people spend on booze, fags, gambling, whatever, if I feel guilty about the cost, but I don't.

I wish my late parents had flown business class now, instead of squeezing themselves like sardines into economy. I would not have begrudged them the little bit less I'd have inherited from them.

Some of the airlines are cheaper than the likes of BA/Qantas/Singapore Airlines etc. I flew once with Asiana and it was wonderful. And have a stop over for a couple of nights too.

Thats a good way of looking at it...but it is still expensive for average joe ..

im only considering it, cos hoping I won't have to do the flight again fir a few years

Thats a good way of looking at it...but it is still expensive for average joe ..

im only considering it, cos hoping I won't have to do the flight again fir a few years

Flying business class means you can almost look forward to the journey rather than dreading it. If you are not going to do it again for a few years, well, even consider taking a loan, and whatever you do, don't worry about anybody else who says 'it's not worth it!'

I've spent the equivalent of a few business class tickets on beer and meals out.

was first class worth it on the Titanic ? Yes if you were 2nd or especially the 3rd class Steerage ....as they were not allowed out until the first class were put aboard boats HALF FULL .........in this day n age ,if there is an emergency landing ,who do they let out first ?

Well I've never thought about the escape perspective but personally I don't think it's worth it. Business class is nice if someone else is paying but my own hard earned money? No, I would rather spend it in other ways. We did do a 'round the world' trip Premium Economy - we could afford that kind of thing at the time but I look back now and think about all the money we wasted. I guess 'Premium Economy' could be a halfway house? Depending on the airline you get business lounge access (which i must admit I do like), better seats and food and a higher ratio of staff but no-where near the same cost as business class.

If there is a particular reason to travel business class - like a very short visit and/or the need to be as rested as possible when you arrive (as is the case often on business travel) or particular physical/medical needs (I have a rather large friend who travels business class for that reason, he simply doesn't fit in economy seats!) or if you are so loaded that cost is irrelevant (but I know that's not the case for most of us!) then fair enough.

The cost of a return business class flight to Australia would pay for a very nice holiday in Australia/Asia after your trip to the UK and that's definitely how I would look at it.

I have been upgraded to business class 3 times now, purely on the basis that I'm a silver member with Emirates, I didn't wangle points which was a bugger! It's worth it, I'm 6ft2 with broad shoulders and found sleeping a little annoying when sat in cattle class. Although, saying that on these new big A380s and even the Boeing 777s there is enough leg room.

Never flown first class but would love to have a look inside for sure!

I have been upgraded to business class 3 times now, purely on the basis that I'm a silver member with Emirates, I didn't wangle points which was a bugger! It's worth it, I'm 6ft2 with broad shoulders and found sleeping a little annoying when sat in cattle class. Although, saying that on these new big A380s and even the Boeing 777s there is enough leg room.

Never flown first class but would love to have a look inside for sure!

Im 7ft 3 with very broad shoulders and big feet so i just tell the middle isle to move so i can chill and lie down .....never had any comeback as yet ........:wink:

Business class varies so much from one airline to the next. You have airlines who provide fully flat seats, fantastic food and luxurious lounges, then others who give you a recliner seat and a crap meal. So just buying business class could lead to disappointment.

I'm looking to bring my Mum out business class from the UK for Christmas and there are some good deals out of Heathrow, yet doing vice versa from Sydney is the opposite.

My kids haven't flown economy class and arriving in Oz in Cathay business was the last time they flew, courtesy of my previous employer, but now that I am paying we certainly won't be flying business. We would much rather take a step by step itinerary in economy with stopovers at various places and spend the difference on hotels and activities.

As a Qantas Plat member and Woolworths shopper we do use miles for upgrades though :-)

Many years ago we were upgraded to business class on a transatlantic flight, we had an 18 month old with us! I was amazed. They had put us behind a particularly arrogant and rude man, I think they did it on purpose to annoy him.

then there was a huge difference in the experience, now on the new planes the economy seats are comparable to what business class was then, with big screens, wider seats and pitch and entertainment on demand.

Always been a frugal person though so begrudge paying for it. Our friends work the loyalty schemes for everything hard, they are flying back from Hong Kong to the UK in December first class. As they said points mean prizes :wink:

prices are making my eyes water though. I've not got long legs, so don't feel cramped in economy, I always book an aisle seat so I can wander at leisure, I've never suffered with jet lag....but I just hate flying.

I've been upgraded twice and it was wonderful! The fancy food and other bits are irrelevant. The real benefit was the super-reclining seats - like sitting on a banana lounger instead of a deckchair - so don't bother with any airlines that don't have those.

Having said that, I've never been able to justify paying the high price. We're looking at going back to the UK next year and I've actually found an entire Sydney to Southampton cruise that's cheaper than a business class seat!!

My usual ploy is to book a flight with a long stopover somewhere. The ideal is Dubai or Abu Dhabi - that point of the flight is about where I'm ready to climb out the porthole. I don't worry about sightseeing, all I want is a nice hotel bed to stretch out on for a sleep, and a swimming pool if I'm lucky. It makes a world of difference to my mood -and the jetlag - when I arrive in the UK.

Archived