Australia Forever?

HappyHeart

Guest The Pom Queen
I cannot imagine moving only once more in my lifetime! The thought would fill me with dread. I get bored easily....hang on a minute...I am in Perth?

Me to, I'm a gypsy at heart.

Guest The Pom Queen
No I'm too up myself for that:wink: Wouldn't last 5 mins as a traveller...plus where would I put all my shoes? Shared showers no ta....

You aren't up yourself :no: I would happily swap my home for a 4 x 4 camper and travel Aus, there are so many beautiful things to see. Although I fancy travelling the world. Its terrible when you think when we die we haven't seen anything of our world and what it has to offer.

You aren't up yourself :no: I would happily swap my home for a 4 x 4 camper and travel Aus, there are so many beautiful things to see. Although I fancy travelling the world. Its terrible when you think when we die we haven't seen anything of our world and what it has to offer.

So would I:) Oh how great would it be.?.... I was being facetious, but then you knew that:wink:

That's what I mean, so not really a case of changing your mind or deciding it's not for you..more a case of it not matching your priorities at a particular life stage....I can't imagine wanting to go back because I've had enough of Australia but I can imagine there may come a time when we need to be elsewhere....I think a lot of people emigrate in their 30's when maybe the priority is the nuclear family plus kids...I can just see that that might shift at some point...

I guess the fact that Australia meets peoples immediate needs is what keep expats here...but if those needs change....

It sure does shift and there is little to no logic about why it does so. First 10 years for me were fine, hunky dory, great adventure etc. second 10 were heads down, bum up, get the family through education, build careers etc and it wasn't until the third decade that the rot set in - been there, done that, lovely holiday but now I need to go home! Now I am home I'm in the hunky dory great adventure stage again. I know I will have to return to Aus again down the track but it no longer makes me want to throw up which is a good sign. I know many long term expats like myself and pretty much all of them (just the one that doesn't want to go back to Manchester and who could blame her?!LOL) want to return but are past the point of no return with family, finances, education etc keeping them there. Seems like about 30 yrs is regret time

If you'd have asked me 10 years ago we wouldn't have ever thought we'd be living in Australia - so who knows, although we're not restless people by nature. At this moment in time, I don't see us moving house or moving back to the UK (we haven't even had the urge to visit for a holiday yet).

Sorry one long term expat who has no desire to return, and to be honest if my Son and only grandchildren weren't in Uk I would hardly ever feel the need to visit. I don't know if it makes a difference because I have lived in Africa, and Asia as well as in Australia, that I don't feel the pull to return, but a good proportion of our expat friends have either retired where they worked, or moved to warmer countries to retire, rather than go back to UK, and are happy and others moved back to UK and are happy, so each to their own.

Who knows perhaps one day they and us might return, but really hope I don't, as so happy here.

there is an interesting mix of people in our area who have retired here from Africa, UK, America, and other parts of Australia, etc, and have made it home, and we like the multi cultural mix, plus we have been made so welcome by everyone.

obviously some people want to return to their roots, but conversely some aren't fussed.

When I was a kid I used to walk along the streets seeing everyone inside watching tv. I didn't get it and I knew these people were different to me. Then I travelled the world and oz was my fave country for travelling. The outback, not the cities. I'm a romantic and I used to want to be a travel writer for my job (inspired by Bruce Chatwin).

Anyway it has all changed now I have kids. I prefer to holiday in the same resort every year and if there is any spare cash it will go towards a second property. But.......I think that maybe when kids have grown then the old romantic might come back and then I could see myself living in oz, new zealand, canada, scotland, france or even laos! It would never be permanent though....it would be just wait and see :-)

It sure does shift and there is little to no logic about why it does so. First 10 years for me were fine, hunky dory, great adventure etc. second 10 were heads down, bum up, get the family through education, build careers etc and it wasn't until the third decade that the rot set in - been there, done that, lovely holiday but now I need to go home! Now I am home I'm in the hunky dory great adventure stage again. I know I will have to return to Aus again down the track but it no longer makes me want to throw up which is a good sign. I know many long term expats like myself and pretty much all of them (just the one that doesn't want to go back to Manchester and who could blame her?!LOL) want to return but are past the point of no return with family, finances, education etc keeping them there. Seems like about 30 yrs is regret time

Interesting account there of someone who's been there done that.....respect your views Quoll and who can ever discount feeling the same one day? ....sounds cliched but we are lucky to have the choice..I know things tie us down at times but we have more choices than many others worldwide..maybe too many?

I would never have thought it, what with Her Indoors being from a Naval family and being dragged around the world.................born here, raised in Singapore etc, but I can't see her ever wanting to move. She loves her work too much...........19 yrs here in Oz, on the same ward/s, and she's stated categorically that it is her dream job and she never wants to leave it.....................so...................as much as I'd like to head North, it'll never happen.

It's kind of happened to us. We moved back to Australia at the beginning of 2009 for a job opportunity with the intention of staying 'forever'.

Our kids were 14,12 and 10 and up for the move as we'd lived there before and been happy. The older two were completely miserable at school and we had to decide what was best for them at such an important time. Long story short, I brought them back to the UK and waited for 20 months until my oh could join us.

The idea was to stay here until the girls all finished school then move back. We're now two years off being able to do that and gradually our changing our minds.

It's not that we don't like Australia, we do, but we're finding that we're enjoying life here. We're in our early 50s and, like many of our friends, looking at retirement in a couple of years or so. Our friends are all talking about buying property in different parts of Europe and visiting each other during the winter. This includes friends who are currently living in Australia who I thought and who'd said they wouldn't move back to Europe. They won't live in the UK again, but want to buy somewhere in France. I fancy Croatia.

It's really surprised me because I never thought I'd change my mind, or find what we're all talking about an attractive idea, but my priorities are changing I think (or maybe it's that we've just had our second really lovely summer!:laugh:)

Thats not to say we won't change our minds again and end up back in Aus, but I think it's more likely that we'll spend a couple of months there every year or two so my oh can work a bit and supplement his pension and I can get my Aus fix.

Like lots on here though, I still can't imagine being in one place for the rest of my life. My kids all say the same - they have all inherited the itchy feet!

I just can't imagine wanting to stay anywhere forever. The thought fills me with absolute despair. I love to travel, love the adventure of living somewhere new, and love how free it makes me feel. I guess I just feel like the prison bars have clanged shut, once the word 'forever' is added to the equation.

I just can't imagine wanting to stay anywhere forever. The thought fills me with absolute despair. I love to travel, love the adventure of living somewhere new, and love how free it makes me feel. I guess I just feel like the prison bars have clanged shut, once the word 'forever' is added to the equation.

Yup, once the "forever" prison bars slam shut it becomes so much harder to view your prison with anything like equanimity no matter if it's paradise on a stick!

yes but the prices of those houses on escape to the country are mind boggling...When my wife and I and see those houses with those "beautiful views" of a farmers field with a few cows on the market for 500,000 pounds it makes us laugh...when we think our house is worth about 50% less than that but is huge with sea,river,forest and town views...Think I would stay here..

Archived