Australia Forever?

HappyHeart

Watching Escape to the Country the other night (I know!) and prompted a little chat between hubby and myself and we agreed that we would be fairly likely to live in the UK again at some point in the future, probably on a temporary basis. If the parents became very unwell and needed our support I think we would go back to be there for them. We would probably rent our house out here and rent in UK.

I think the PLACE you need to be/want to be can probably change as your life unfolds and priorities shift. I then thought when the parents are gone...our priority might shift again to something quite different..possibly the children/grandchildren if we are lucky enough to have any....you do see people moving to support their family. Maybe a complete change would be what we wanted..interstate, completely different country..?

So to people who moved here intending the move to be 'permanent'...where do you see yourselves in the future? Will you be content to stay put or might you just go with the flow?

Guest The Pom Queen

To be honest Fi I really don't know. At this stage I love and worship Cairns and would never dream of moving again, maybe in to the outback or further North but still within reach of Cairns.

Hubby, if anything happened to me would probably go back to the UK he has always said this, I think its because he has a support network there which he doesn't have here.

I can't say I would never move back because like you say things change, we change etc, but at this moment in time I am staying put

Just go with the flow I think. You never quite know what is around the corner, and how you might feel, so I think it is better to accept that things change, and that that may mean having to move back.

Guest Guest66881

The only way we would ever leave here is if the sun went out, Deb's been back family issue plus an holiday for them and came back realising here as so much more going for it, but if people change their minds and have had a good go at it, fair enough.

Just go with the flow I think. You never quite know what is around the corner, and how you might feel, so I think it is better to accept that things change, and that that may mean having to move back.

That's what I mean, so not really a case of changing your mind or deciding it's not for you..more a case of it not matching your priorities at a particular life stage....I can't imagine wanting to go back because I've had enough of Australia but I can imagine there may come a time when we need to be elsewhere....I think a lot of people emigrate in their 30's when maybe the priority is the nuclear family plus kids...I can just see that that might shift at some point...

I guess the fact that Australia meets peoples immediate needs is what keep expats here...but if those needs change....

Guest Guest66881
You strike me as feeling rather unsettled Fiona. You have been talking of moving to other places for a while. Down south etc.

My thoughts exactly Dave, itchy feet for the old country HH.

You strike me as feeling rather unsettled Fiona. You have been talking of moving to other places for a while. Down south etc.

My thoughts exactly Dave, itchy feet for the old country HH.

Not at all....if I was I'd say...but I just have a strong feeling we will end up back there at some point in our lives...not now, maybe in our 50s?? I really don't know...I know I could live there..I never 'hated' the UK or had a downer on it...coming here was not to escape more to experience...an opportunity not to miss....I like England and all things English and if I'm honest I'd like to experience living there again...in the countryside though.

I feel very settled here....too settled to ever live in the UK permanently...I couldn't leave this place because I love it so much but I also know I like the UK and if circumstances change you can easily talk yourself into moving....I'm probably not making sense...do you know what I mean?

Moving down South is not to do with being unsettled either Dave, it's more to experience the places we have decided we love best here more often and enhance our lifestyle...I'm not the stay in one place long term kind tbh...nothing wrong with those who are but I do get itchy feet yes...too much to see!

Guest Guest66881
Moving down South is not to do with being unsettled either Dave, it's more to experience the places we have decided we love best here more often and enhance our lifestyle...I'm not the stay in one place long term kind tbh...nothing wrong with those who are but I do get itchy feet yes...too much to see!

Need good funds to scratch around mate, we will move probably once more before leaving this planet.

And that will be here into a smaller house when the kids are bigger/left home.

Need good funds to scratch around mate, we will move probably once more before leaving this planet.

And that will be here into a smaller house when the kids are bigger/left home.

I cannot imagine moving only once more in my lifetime! The thought would fill me with dread. I get bored easily....hang on a minute...I am in Perth?

Guest Guest66881
I cannot imagine moving only once more in my lifetime! The thought would fill me with dread. I get bored easily....hang on a minute...I am in Perth?

Sounds like you need a campervan or a mobile home.

An in general reply.

I'm a go with the flow type on this sort of thing. Why do we have to give it a timeframe or label it as something, I don't know.

As soon as you say 'forever' you put an expectation on the situation, its *there* and gives the impression of no other options or fluidity to change. You cannot know what will happen tomorrow, let alone in a year, two years, ten years, twenty.

Life throws up all sorts of things, home is where I live, where I live is home. Doesn't matter where that is. We make the most of whichever country we live in (between hubby and I that numbers 9 or 10 countries all up so far). I don't think about where we may end up in the future. I don't feel a massive pull for the UK but then I never did when living there. I love parts of Europe not just to holiday in them for a few weeks a year. NZ appeals but will probably just be an extended holiday or two. I just like to live knowing its possible and that should we feel the urge to go try somewhere, hubby and I am game for it.

An in general reply.

I'm a go with the flow type on this sort of thing. Why do we have to give it a timeframe or label it as something, I don't know.

As soon as you say 'forever' you put an expectation on the situation, its *there* and gives the impression of no other options or fluidity to change. You cannot know what will happen tomorrow, let alone in a year, two years, ten years, twenty.

Life throws up all sorts of things, home is where I live, where I live is home. Doesn't matter where that is. We make the most of whichever country we live in (between hubby and I that numbers 9 or 10 countries all up so far). I don't think about where we may end up in the future. I don't feel a massive pull for the UK but then I never did when living there. I love parts of Europe not just to holiday in them for a few weeks a year. NZ appeals but will probably just be an extended holiday or two. I just like to live knowing its possible and that should we feel the urge to go try somewhere, hubby and I am game for it.

Exactly my view...glad it's not just me:cute:

That's what I mean, so not really a case of changing your mind or deciding it's not for you..more a case of it not matching your priorities at a particular life stage....I can't imagine wanting to go back because I've had enough of Australia but I can imagine there may come a time when we need to be elsewhere....I think a lot of people emigrate in their 30's when maybe the priority is the nuclear family plus kids...I can just see that that might shift at some point...

I guess the fact that Australia meets peoples immediate needs is what keep expats here...but if those needs change....

This is pretty much what I mean. I love Australia, but there may come a point in my life where it would be better for me to go back to the UK. It won't be a push from Australia, but more a pull towards my family. We have children who have dual citizenship, so who knows where they will end up. There may come a time when they decide they would like to experience living in a different country, and if that country happened to be the UK, I would certainly consider moving back to be with them.

Fair enough.. Just sounds to me like you are talking yourself up for a move back to the UK for the home in the English countryside yet feeling rather torn and unsure about where you are and where you want to be.

Fair enough.. Just sounds to me like you are talking yourself up for a move back to the UK for the home in the English countryside yet feeling rather torn and unsure about where you are and where you want to be.

No, not at all:) That's not how I see it anyway...I think it would do my head in at this stage...I can't imagine it....no I'm talking about the dim and distant future! We have to do down South first! Im as sure as a person can be that I am happy here and here is where we are supposed to be right now.

I realise I am a nomad, can't believe I will be 70 shortly, and the longest I have lived anywhere is 11 years, and that is 3 times including here. Really don't want to move, as 2 of ours are here now as well, but who knows as you can never say never.

if you had told me when I was 30, that I would retire to Australia, I would have laughed, but what a great time we are having.

When my husband left the Airforce we thought we would stay somewhere for the children to have senior school stability, however any time my husband suggested a move, I was up for it. we did manage to stay put for the 2 oldest, but we left the youngest in school in UK, and moved to Asia. Strangely she is the most restless of our 3, has lived in Mexico and Africa and now here. Will she stay? Who knows, but I do hope she gets her PR to keep her options open.

I realise I am a nomad, can't believe I will be 70 shortly, and the longest I have lived anywhere is 11 years, and that is 3 times including here. Really don't want to move, as 2 of ours are here now as well, but who knows as you can never say never.

if you had told me when I was 30, that I would retire to Australia, I would have laughed, but what a great time we are having.

When my husband left the Airforce we thought we would stay somewhere for the children to have senior school stability, however any time my husband suggested a move, I was up for it. we did manage to stay put for the 2 oldest, but we left the youngest in school in UK, and moved to Asia. Strangely she is the most restless of our 3, has lived in Mexico and Africa and now here. Will she stay? Who knows, but I do hope she gets her PR to keep her options open.

Good call..that's all that keeps me rooted at the moment...doing what's best for the kids..they need stability at certain ages I think...I just can't get my head around same place for years on end...where's the challenge/excitement....never going to get to experience see a fraction of what we want to in this short life but I'll have a crack at it. I guess it's similar to the staying in same job, there are types who collect their gold clock..absolutely no problem, hats off to them but it would not fulfil me in any way. Too much to learn.

Guest The Pom Queen

No she is coming to Cairns before @MovingtoTasmania arrives in Perth

Archived