How much money did you to take to Oz to last until you found a job?

tinaisrar

I know a lot of people have struggled, but like your husband, my first port of call would be agency work. In my career as an accountant, and then if that's not successfull then i'd move onto other avenues. That's actually my plan for when I arrive anyway, get on some agency work as soon as possible, a week here and there doing anything from minimum wage upwards just to get some money rolling in. I'm not going to sit on my arse waiting for the perfect job for a year lol.

And, as I said, I can always send my wife and daughter to Jakarta for an extended holiday while I slum it. The way I look at it, if backpackers can get a job, I can get a job... and I know plenty of backpackers out there who haven't struggled in the slightest. If it means i have a live in a dorm in a hostel in Tully picking banana's like I did 10 years ago, then so be it. At $15 per hour, you'd take home $550 per week and can get accomodation for $130... i'd survive. Its not ideal, but it would buy me some time.

You'll be fine. Good attitude. People told us we were crazy coming with such limited funds...we're still here and living quite a nice life thanks! If it all goes pear shaped..hey at least you tried, nothing ventured nothing gained...fortune favours the brave...my kind of spirit..

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll be fine. Good attitude. People told us we were crazy coming with such limited funds...we're still here and living quite a nice life thanks! If it all goes pear shaped..hey at least you tried, nothing ventured nothing gained...fortune favours the brave...my kind of spirit..

Very bad advice.

Hi Tina, cant remember where your heading but Im sure as a nurse you will get agency work quickly, just register as soon as you land and if you have an up to date CPR certificate bring it with you as I had to do one via red cross before I started work. Money wise I did have enough to pay 6 months rent up front ($14000 +bond), as a nurse doing agency you will need a car unless you live near a local care home but you will be able to pick up a cheap runaround for a few thousand $, I budgeted for approx $300 a week for food and petrol (theres 2 of us), bills take a month or so before they start coming in so usually enough time to start earning. The luxury here is most places pay every fortnight though it may take a couple of weeks for pay to get started.

If you sat around planning everything to the last detail and making sure conditions were perfect you'd never do a damn thing...sometimes you have to do what you can to wing it and hope for the best..only the individual can decide if thats a risk they are willing to take....

Absolutely, and thank you :-) We know there are risks... but, nothing ventured, nothing gained. There are risks in everything in life, its not as though we are wrapped up in cotton wool risk free in the UK. I'd be in exactly the same position if I were to be without a job here, and couldn't find one. Money would soon run out.

We same over with about $14,000. Our car plus registration costs etc. was around $5,000. Neither of us had jobs before coming over but found them pretty quickly - we're also nurses. I started work after 2 months of arriving here, my husband just under 3 months. It's not difficult to register with an agency - Healthcare Australia seem to be a good one which a lot of hospitals use (at least in SA and QLD!). You may find work faster in a private hospital - I applied months ago for the public sector and from application to start date it'll be 5 months, whereas I'd started work in a private hospital within a month of applying. I live in SA so it may be different elsewhere. We've also saved on rental costs by camping and housesitting - don't plan on renting any time soon unless we really have to. Good luck! x

Healthcare Australia is the one i contacted will be first on my list ofpeople to see when there.It is also SA im going to......Imust say house sitting sounds like a good idea initially ty x

Just another thought..the last person I gave that 'bad' advice to was Que Sera after she got the wobbles listening to doomsayers on here telling her it was foolish to come with very little....you can see from her posts that the move was a positive one for her...often is a case of having the right attitude and a little bit of luck thrown in too....

I would think that you would need somewhat more than you would have five or so years ago. When we arrived in Sydney in 2009, the exchange rate was okay and prices for everything were significantly cheaper. However, over the past five or so years, prices for most things seem to have risen quite steeply, and I would definitely take this in to consideration. That's not to say that you can't do it on a budget, just that the budget may have to be a little bigger than it would have been for people arriving a few years ago.

There are quite a few variables to this one. I think someone coming with children would need to bring a bit more as less likely to want to live in hostels or shared accommodation if required. The other thing is work, whether some is already lined up or whether it is likely to be easy to get. I think there are a few nurses on this thread and it probably won't take too long for them. But in other occupations it may take many months to find work.

I think that some of the figures quoted are lighter than I would have guessed at, seems like a lot are assuming there will be work to be had very quickly.

Edited by Pumpkin

well that all made an interesting read and all were valid points...........well i have to say i see myself going with about $10k maybe a bit more. I am prepared to work at anything until the security of my chosen job comes up ( nurse) have spoke to an agency already will be visiting them first.

Yes may be living close to the wire but im not expecting an easy ride by far and expect some difficulties initially......live in the hope all will workout, right or wrong, but certainly prepared to give it a good go. Certainly cannot afford to pay 6 months upfront as someone suggested dear god hope that does not happen.wont be buying a car straight of and will live on a tight budget till some money comes in. So fingers and legs tightly crossedit maybe abumpy ride, but.....an exciting one that i will give a dam good go.

TY to all who commented its appreciated xx

Hi Tina, cant remember where your heading but Im sure as a nurse you will get agency work quickly, just register as soon as you land and if you have an up to date CPR certificate bring it with you as I had to do one via red cross before I started work. Money wise I did have enough to pay 6 months rent up front ($14000 +bond), as a nurse doing agency you will need a car unless you live near a local care home but you will be able to pick up a cheap runaround for a few thousand $, I budgeted for approx $300 a week for food and petrol (theres 2 of us), bills take a month or so before they start coming in so usually enough time to start earning. The luxury here is most places pay every fortnight though it may take a couple of weeks for pay to get started.

Hi Nic thanks for the advice especially the CPR certificate, i have everything printed already lol.....as well as continually doing courses through work to ensure current and extras. Its SA im going to, jobs are about but scarcer than a couple of years ago, seems more likely i will get a job once there as oppose to before, from speaking with a couple of people there.

How is Brisbane and working as a nurse there? much different? hope your enjoying it xx

We're going with about $40k saved. We have no kids, no mortgage in the UK, no family in Aus, and as yet, no jobs lined up (going in October).

Terrified it'll run out before we both find work, but ultimately thats the risk you have to take, we've been putting it off "to save more" for too long

We're going with about $40k saved. We have no kids, no mortgage in the UK, no family in Aus, and as yet, no jobs lined up (going in October).

Terrified it'll run out before we both find work, but ultimately thats the risk you have to take, we've been putting it off "to save more" for too long

i would be happy with that lol......but i agree you can always put of to save more,but whatever amount you have im sure you will always think you need more.....i hope not! certainly for a few months anyway

Good luck x

Healthcare Australia is the one i contacted will be first on my list ofpeople to see when there.It is also SA im going to......Imust say house sitting sounds like a good idea initially ty x

You're welcome. As we'll both be in SA please feel free to PM me any questions re: jobs etc. - not that I'm an expert but I've been here a few months now and may be able to help out x

I had a job to come to in 2007, came here 3 weeks before we started - burned about $30K with rent deposit, car etc. However, we have two kids and rented a decent house. If you are prepared to rent rooms in a share house, and maybe even do a bit of nursing assistance work, you will get by. I think the problem is that people come to Oz expecting to maintain the same standards of living as they have in the UK - 10 years ago, you could have a much higher standard of living here than in the UK and now I think the situation has reversed, with jobs harder to find, sky high rentals and cost of living through the roof. If you're coming to Oz to have an adventure and explore for a bit, then go for it - the people I am worried about is the ones that think they'll be living in a beach house in the Melbourne suburbs, with a 15 min commute on car free roads, and jetting off to Fiji/Bali/NZ etc. on the cheap (well it's so much closer!) with all that lovely holiday leave they'll be getting from their highly paid, easy to get, secure jobs.

You really, really should not run out of money with $40k behind you. But in your shoes, I would make sure it lasts by not getting a car or a long term rental until I had a job. Without kids I would be just getting cheap ish holiday style accommodation rather than committing to a lease and spending on a bond.