How much money did you to take to Oz to last until you found a job?

tinaisrar

Hi im now at the point of thinking how much do i take?..........Not that i have much savings left pffft

So i would be looking at a minimum, as unable to sell house for another year but hey ho..............So what was your minimum and did it last you long enough?

oh and no kids to take!

Edited by tinaisrar

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had $11,000. Oh got a job soonish..took me three months to get a job. Rent and securing a property racks up quickly...

yes thats how much i think i will have. will try and get job before as a nurse but have a feeling will get one once there as seems a bit tougher these days.

live of carrots i think haha

They reckon 3 months salary so, if ball park salary is a low $60k pa then aim for $15k but be very frugal! don't buy a car! walk/bike everywhere, get as low cost accommodation as you can, shop in Op Shops or on FreeCycle. I've known new migrants who've gone through $15k in a few weeks with car/insurance/holiday let/bonds etc

Wow I am surprised with the responses here, I've been worrying that we won't be bringing enough (about £12k) but it seems quite a few have done it on less. One of my main concern has been getting a rental, I've been trying to budget for paying 6 months upfront as that seems to be the norm for new migrants - at least that's what I thought anyway. Can I ask those that have made the move with short funds, how did you manage getting a rental?

Ta

w1

Wow I am surprised with the responses here, I've been worrying that we won't be bringing enough (about £12k) but it seems quite a few have done it on less. One of my main concern has been getting a rental, I've been trying to budget for paying 6 months upfront as that seems to be the norm for new migrants - at least that's what I thought anyway. Can I ask those that have made the move with short funds, how did you manage getting a rental?

Ta

w1

We same over with about $14,000. Our car plus registration costs etc. was around $5,000. Neither of us had jobs before coming over but found them pretty quickly - we're also nurses. I started work after 2 months of arriving here, my husband just under 3 months. It's not difficult to register with an agency - Healthcare Australia seem to be a good one which a lot of hospitals use (at least in SA and QLD!). You may find work faster in a private hospital - I applied months ago for the public sector and from application to start date it'll be 5 months, whereas I'd started work in a private hospital within a month of applying. I live in SA so it may be different elsewhere. We've also saved on rental costs by camping and housesitting - don't plan on renting any time soon unless we really have to. Good luck! x

We moved with £12.5k. I got a job after 6 weeks, but didn't get paid until we'd been here for 10 weeks. The money we brought over kept us going until then, paying for 3 months rent, plus a 4 week bond and 4 weeks rent on a new apartment, a used car ($4k), fridge freezer, washing machine and furniture for our apartment.

If I didn't have a job lined up I would say a year's salary minimum.

Otherwise if you can't find a job you are screwed, and it is not easy at the moment to find work.

That's a lovely idea and I'm sure we'd all.like to do that... but who can save a years salary?

If you have a house to sell that's fine, but otherwise it's not too realistic.

That's a lovely idea and I'm sure we'd all.like to do that... but who can save a years salary?

Okay, so what happens if you haven't found a job and the money keeps going down ?

It is not a lovely idea, in this economic climate it is just about mandatory I would say.

Otherwise what is plan b when the money runs out ?

Then i would advise people not to go unless they have a decent amount of money especially if they have not got a job lined up, it would be crazy to go with just a few thousand and nothing else.

Okay, so what happens if you haven't found a job and the money keeps going down ?

It is not a lovely idea, in this economic climate it is just about mandatory I would say.

Otherwise what is plan b when the money runs out ?

That's a risk you have to be willing to take, and you just have to take any job that's going until what you want comes up. If that means taking a drop in salary and position, moving to a less desirable area, or even working in a different industry then so be it.

If it got that bad... I would put my wife and daughter on a flight to Jakarta to live with the family there, whilst I slummed it on as little money as possible doing any job going whilst I found a job that enabled us all to live here comfortably.

I wouldn't just give up and go home.

A years salary certainly isn't mandatory. Its dream world.

That's a risk you have to be willing to take, and you just have to take any job that's going until what you want comes up. If that means taking a drop in salary and position, moving to a less desirable area, or even working in a different industry then so be it.

If it got that bad... I would put my wife and daughter on a flight to Jakarta to live with the family there, whilst I slummed it on as little money as possible doing any job going whilst I found a job that enabled us all to live here comfortably.

I wouldn't just give up and go home.

A years salary certainly isn't mandatory. Its dream world.

I think for some in some areas getting *any* job has proved very difficult....I don't know how realistic that is however as when my husband was temporarily out of work a few years back he got agency work no worries, labouring and stuff, not constant work but enough to get by for the 6 weeks it took to secure permanent employment.....but then he also had Aussie refs which seem to make a difference....

Edited by HappyHeart

trying to budget for paying 6 months upfront as that seems to be the norm for new migrants - at least that's what I thought anyway. Can I ask those that have made the move with short funds, how did you manage getting a rental?

We got the first rental we looked at and applied for and we didn't have to pay any rent up front apart from the usual deposit and 2 weeks I think it was. None of my friends paid all these months up front eother. This was 4 years ago admittedly.

Ta

w1

We got the first rental we looked at and applied for and we didn't have to pay any rent up front apart from the usual deposit and 2 weeks I think it was. None of my friends paid all these months up front eother. This was 4 years ago admittedly.

I think for some in some areas getting *any* job has proved very difficult....I don't know how realistic that is however as when my husband was temporarily out of work afew years back he got agency work no worries, labouring and stuff.....but then he also had Aussie refs which seem to make a difference....

I know a lot of people have struggled, but like your husband, my first port of call would be agency work. In my career as an accountant, and then if that's not successfull then i'd move onto other avenues. That's actually my plan for when I arrive anyway, get on some agency work as soon as possible, a week here and there doing anything from minimum wage upwards just to get some money rolling in. I'm not going to sit on my arse waiting for the perfect job for a year lol.

And, as I said, I can always send my wife and daughter to Jakarta for an extended holiday while I slum it. The way I look at it, if backpackers can get a job, I can get a job... and I know plenty of backpackers out there who haven't struggled in the slightest. If it means i have a live in a dorm in a hostel in Tully picking banana's like I did 10 years ago, then so be it. At $15 per hour, you'd take home $550 per week and can get accomodation for $130... i'd survive. Its not ideal, but it would buy me some time.

trying to budget for paying 6 months upfront as that seems to be the norm for new migrants - at least that's what I thought anyway. Can I ask those that have made the move with short funds, how did you manage getting a rental?

Ta

w1

I think I read on here that somebody tried to do this to secure a rental, and was turned down as in the region they were in it wasn't allowed unless the cost of the rental was above a certain threshold.

I wouldn't expect to pay 6 months upfront, but i'd certainly set that money aside in a savings account from day 1.