Unpaid speeding fines from 2008

flatpack

Whilst travelling Oz in 2008 I received a speeding fine for doing 132KPH in a 110KPH zone, I was in WA at the time. For one reason or another the fine went unpaid.

It's now 2014 and I'm moving to WA permanently in 8 days and my missus has just asked how the fine will affect me, I have no idea.

I've been to Oz on holiday twice since and hired cars without any issues both times having been to WA.

Has anyone got a head up what might happen when i try to change my Uk license to an OZ one?

I expect the sheriff will catch up with you at some time.

If you refuse to pay it they can seize assets such as a car you own until you pay.

The amount owing will be a lot more now than the original fine.

Edited by parleycross

I often wonder why people skip out of fines.

It can come back and bite you on the ar5e one day.

You never totally forget about it so it plays on your mind. The fine has probably gone up to a few thousand by now and if you come back to Australia you could get arrested, assets seized or who knows what ?

You never totally forget about it so it plays on your mind. The fine has probably gone up to a few thousand by now and if you come back to Australia you could get arrested, assets seized or who knows what ?

When your a 20 yr old backpacker you don't really worry about things like that. Even more so when you go to a police station to ask how to pay, and why it is giving you the incorrect offernce - and are told not to worry about it.

Not that it matters but here goes! My car was registered at my sisters, she received the fine and told me not to worry about it. Me being young and care free left it at that. She didn't pay it, she sent it to my UK address for me to deal with when I got home (6 months late). Biggest problem was that I'd moved and my sister gave them my old address.

I never heard anything from them again so I didn't worry about it, she didn't mention it until the other day and now I'm trying to sort it. I'll pay the fine and any further costs that have been incurred as I am an upstanding person. What I don't want to find out is that I cannot have a WA driving license when I start my new life in Oz.

Have you got a PR visa because if not you can just continue to drive on your UK license.

You could try checking on here http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/drivers-licence-check-online.asp

or here http://www.courts.dotag.wa.gov.au/_apps/fines/search.aspx

We're coming on PR. I've tried checking online but as I don't have a reference number for the fine or a Oz license I cannot check. I've found an email for checking fines and have emailed them. Let's see what they come back with.

I'm unsure what the statute of limitations is for debt in Australia, and whether fines are exempt. Try going to citizens advice in Australia to find out, or a law centre. If it's the same as the uk, it may not be enforceable

Edited by Sandyp
spelling

I'm unsure what the statute of limitations is for debt in Australia, and whether fines are exempt. Try going to citizens advice in Australia to find out, or a law centre. If it's the same as the uk, it may not be enforceable

Citizens advice Bureaux are not the same here as they are over there. They tend to be run by older volunteers and are more involved with emergency relief. I would be surprised if they could help with this question.

Not that it matters but here goes! My car was registered at my sisters, she received the fine and told me not to worry about it. Me being young and care free left it at that. She didn't pay it, she sent it to my UK address for me to deal with when I got home (6 months late). Biggest problem was that I'd moved and my sister gave them my old address.

I never heard anything from them again so I didn't worry about it, she didn't mention it until the other day and now I'm trying to sort it. I'll pay the fine and any further costs that have been incurred as I am an upstanding person. What I don't want to find out is that I cannot have a WA driving license when I start my new life in Oz.

I won't be sanctimonious. I would do nothing, then, if it does come up write and explain to the people who you need to, pay the original fine, and ask how you can appeal any penalties.

The other option is to ring up Western Australia Transport, and talk to them. This will be easier if you are still in the UK I suspect.

in the fullness of time, let us know how you got on.

Guest The Pom Queen

Just had an email from the fines enforcement office saying they have no details of my fine! Maybe it's that long ago it's dropped off the system but I feel a little better now :)

@flatpack that is wonderful news, thank you for coming back and updating us. Not many people do but it is really useful information that I am sure will help others in the future. Now you can relax and get packing

Lucky escape. I was at a information session last night for a role within the prison service. They mentioned one of the common inmate categories are unpaid speeding fines.

Hope they have checked the record correctly then, I'v done a tour of Freemantle prison and I wouldn't like to spend any quality time in a place like that!