What do you miss about the UK?

aconcannon

So what is it that people miss the most about not being in the UK - I know we all miss family and friends but are there any day-to-day things that people miss about the UK? Any particular foods or TV shows or perhaps just ways the Ozzie's do things compared to the Brits? Interested in hearing everybodies thoughts...

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what is it that people miss the most about not being in the UK - I know we all miss family and friends but are there any day-to-day things that people miss about the UK? Any particular foods or TV shows or perhaps just ways the Ozzie's do things compared to the Brits? Interested in hearing everybodies thoughts...

Grabbing the papers on a Sunday morning, finding a country pub for a lovely lunch and catching a show in the West End.

Yes I think the English sense of humour is a big that that we would miss too! During my gap year in Australia I remember missing baked beans not being a standard part of a cooked breakfast :-) @Marisawright do you not think there are more interesting and cheaper places to visit from Australia compared to the UK? I'm looking forward to having South East Asia and the South Pacific Islands on my doorstep (pretty much) and when looking on SkyScanner.net I;ve found the flights to be dirt cheap...?

M&S sandwiches, may sound silly but on my one day off from looking after the kids I used to get myself a slap up lunchtime meal from M&S, Wensleydale and Carrot Chutney sandwich, followed by a Chocolate cheesecake. Mmm.

Haven't found anything comparable here yet !!

They are seriously lacking Marks & Specers stores in Australia aren't they 'Dawn2002! My friend from the UK emigrated out to Sydney a few years back and every time she comes home she pops to M&S for a prawn mayo sandwich :-) seen as they are in most other major cities of the world I'm surprised Australia don't have them yet - or do they?

They are seriously lacking Marks & Specers stores in Australia aren't they 'Dawn2002! My friend from the UK emigrated out to Sydney a few years back and every time she comes home she pops to M&S for a prawn mayo sandwich :-) seen as they are in most other major cities of the world I'm surprised Australia don't have them yet - or do they?

That's hilarious. A friend of mine came back at Christmas and every day posted a different sandwich (either Pret, M&S or Tesco) on Facebok. He was decrying the lack of decent "sandwich in a box" options in Melbourne.

Ha, aconcannon, I live on the Gold Coast, so no unfortunately none here, I would love to know if there are any in Australia.

I also miss French Cheese, as far as I'm aware you can't sell cheese with unpasteurised milk here and the Camembert and Brie just don't taste the same.

For the most part the food is easy if you are capable of cooking, you can always produce better then any shop bought or processed food, and if you want that shop bought taste just find some chemicals and additives to throw in :-)

I only really miss family and friends, that's about it. Western countries are all pretty much the same.

There is talk of bringing M & S to Aus since Zara opened. I remember as a child going to M & S and buying cherry cake, and there was also a cake that was for different coloured squares, covered in jam and then marsipan stuck to the jam. Sure it did my teeth no good, but oh it tasted good.

There is talk of bringing M & S to Aus since Zara opened. I remember as a child going to M & S and buying cherry cake, and there was also a cake that was for different coloured squares, covered in jam and then marsipan stuck to the jam. Sure it did my teeth no good, but oh it tasted good.

Battenberg?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Fashionable clothes at reasonable prices

Tesco Finest

M and S- that goes without saying

Pubs within walking distance- the luxury of growing up in a village with 4 locals

Friday night, curry night

Less of the nanny state- being trusted to drink in public or cross somewhere you aren't supposed to cross on a road

Generally, a good variety on the box and the money which gets invested into decent TV (I don't mean soaps)

The song of a blackbird on a late summer's evening

The quiet of snow

Easyjet- took that one for granted- have zero interest in Asia- regret not seeing more of Europe

London- dirty, filthy, crowded, crazy London- screaming with thousands of years of culture, people and stories

The beauty of the moors

Stone walls

Cobbled streets

Green

The build up to Christmas

Intelligent, self deprecating and sharp humour

I don't miss these all the time. I can get by without them most of the time. I love Australia in the way you'd truly love a favourite Aunt- she's fun, she spoils you, you get along great. But, she's not your mum.

going home 2015- may be back here again- badly need to feel like I belong again.

I miss M&S food quite a bit but every time I go back I have my fill. To be honest with time I am missing British food less and less. Some of the marketing strategies employed by British supermarkets are disgusting - they need to rethink their Corporate Social Responsibility positions instead of just encouraging their customers to eat junk!

Coles and Woolies are very dominant I find (doh) but I don't find they do so much of this seductive marketing cr&p! Australian supermarket shopping may be expensive but it's surprisingly straightforward!

Fashionable clothes at reasonable prices

Tesco Finest

M and S- that goes without saying

Pubs within walking distance- the luxury of growing up in a village with 4 locals

Friday night, curry night

Less of the nanny state- being trusted to drink in public or cross somewhere you aren't supposed to cross on a road

Generally, a good variety on the box and the money which gets invested into decent TV (I don't mean soaps)

The song of a blackbird on a late summer's evening

The quiet of snow

Easyjet- took that one for granted- have zero interest in Asia- regret not seeing more of Europe

London- dirty, filthy, crowded, crazy London- screaming with thousands of years of culture, people and stories

The beauty of the moors

Stone walls

Cobbled streets

Green

The build up to Christmas

Intelligent, self deprecating and sharp humour

I don't miss these all the time. I can get by without them most of the time. I love Australia in the way you'd truly love a favourite Aunt- she's fun, she spoils you, you get along great. But, she's not your mum.

going home 2015- may be back here again- badly need to feel like I belong again.

Yep almost all strike a cord with me, cockatoos are great, but their song is nowhere near as relaxing !

@Dawn2002 we're hoping to move to the Gold Coast after xmas - if you have any advice re decent suburbs eithger on or very close to a beach please let me know. I hope they open up some M&S stores soon - it's so British it really amazes me they don't already have them! Even Dubai has an M&S!

Totally agree with what people are saying about Christmas! During my gap year in Australia Christmas day was the only day I missed home and not just because I wasn't with immediate family & friends but because Christmas in the sun is just weird & the Ozzie's don't quite go as 'all out' as we do in the UK - I think Christmases will definitely bwe the time of year we head home for our trips :-)

@Dawn2002 we're hoping to move to the Gold Coast after xmas - if you have any advice re decent suburbs eithger on or very close to a beach please let me know. I hope they open up some M&S stores soon - it's so British it really amazes me they don't already have them! Even Dubai has an M&S!

Totally agree with what people are saying about Christmas! During my gap year in Australia Christmas day was the only day I missed home and not just because I wasn't with immediate family & friends but because Christmas in the sun is just weird & the Ozzie's don't quite go as 'all out' as we do in the UK - I think Christmases will definitely bwe the time of year we head home for our trips :-)

I'll pm you, saw your other post about this.. It's very dependent on your personal situation.

Christmas was strange though, I spent 2 yrs on a WHV here about 10 yrs ago and couldn't get Christmassy at all. Was easier with the kids though this time.

Archived