How does my 21 year old manage to emmigrate to aus now that we are finaly going?

hawkmoon1704

Guys the question is that simple.

We are going and now he says hed like to come out and live with us. hes 21 just left uni with buisness management degree and has asked us what visa should he go for, hopefully using us as a sponsor or something. Ive also got a brother liveing there for 30years could he sponsor him? Or is there a diferent visa you could reccomend?

Thanks guys.

Oh dear why didn't you include him. When he was a student he could have gone on as a dependent. He should have been added then, after all he wouldn't have been forced to go but he would have a visa. Did you not include him as dependent I'm guessing he must have been when you applied?

I gave his name over and was never asked speciffically if he was to be included and I never asked speciffically for him to be on it. Would I have had a speciffic visa grant in his name if he was included? I spose so. Still if thats gone then thats fine but just wondered what to do next and which would be best for him. His meantime intention is to either holiday for 3months with us or get working visa and stay for up to 2years and then properly decide if he want to live there.

My daughter was included on our 175 visa at the age of 16 in full time education when we lodged our application but because she was at uni and staying in the halls at the time of the visa grant she was refused PR as no longer classed as a dependant of the visa applicant .Her uni loan , and the fact that she didnt live at the residing home of the visa applicant meant her PR was refused .If she had stayed at home and remained as a dependant she would have gained PR along with the rest of her family ..she will now have to apply independentantly

Weve been here nearly two years and my daughters been out to visit a few times , she's fulfilling her degree as a primary teacher and has been granted six months leave to travel the world incl Australia in January .Although upsetting at the time (mainly for us) that she didnt get on our PR visa she has remained independent and followed her own dreams.Had she forfeited this and not gone to uni just to remain our dependant there may have been many regrets and unhappiness.

My daughter was included on our 175 visa at the age of 16 in full time education when we lodged our application but because she was at uni and staying in the halls at the time of the visa grant she was refused PR as no longer classed as a dependant of the visa applicant .Her uni loan , and the fact that she didnt live at the residing home of the visa applicant meant her PR was refused .If she had stayed at home and remained as a dependant she would have gained PR along with the rest of her family ..she will now have to apply independentantly

Did you take professional advice about this?

that is weird, My sister got her PR under my parents and she was a full time student overseas (in America and has not lived with them for 6 years)... the criteria i believe is being a full time student and financially dependent on the main applicant... is it too late to have this decision re-evaluated? just wondering.

At the moment I don't see an option that would allow him to come permanently.

He is not going to qualify for a skilled visa himself at the moment.

The remaining relative visa has been stopped

Family sponsorship requires a skill on the sol list and the ability to pass a skills assessment. All family sponsorship really does is offer some extra points.

A student visa does not usually have a pathway to PR and international student fees are very expensive with limited work rights. He would probably find himself going home after the course.

He could get a working holiday visa which if he did the required regional work entitle him to stay for up to 2 years.

His best option might be to settle into a career that may lay later qualify for his own visa.

His meantime intention is to either holiday for 3months with us or get working visa and stay for up to 2years and then properly decide if he want to live there.

I'm afraid the decision is not his alone to take.

Broadly, he does not seem to be eligible for a visa to migrate. Sure, he can come as a tourist or on a working holiday, but unless he has a skill that is in demand, he can't just decide after a working holiday to live in Australia.

I know it's great to have hindsight, but the time to have made the decision was when he was a dependent and you were applying. That ship has sailed and Australia now considers him to be an independent adult. He won't get a visa to migrate simply because his parents or his uncle live in Australia.

I'm afraid the decision is not his alone to take.

Broadly, he does not seem to be eligible for a visa to migrate. Sure, he can come as a tourist or on a working holiday, but unless he has a skill that is in demand, he can't just decide after a working holiday to live in Australia.

Obviously he knows he cant just simply stay after a holiday I just meant that he would decide if he liked it enough to start applying for PR. I was really just trying to find out his best route to that PR ;)

I just meant that he would decide if he liked it enough to start applying for PR. I was really just trying to find out his best route to that PR ;)

Yes, and my reply was that there is no obvious route. Skilled migration might be an answer but if he comes on a WHV he is pretty much limited to temporary bar work; that's no route to PR. If he wants to migrate, he would be best advised to stay in the UK, learn a trade or other skill in demand, do the necessary years of work experience and then queue up with everyone else - assuming the rules are the same in the future as they are now. Conceivably he could go down the partner route but it would be a bit of a gamble to turn up on a WHV and go looking immediately for a wife.

Broadly, if you go ahead with emigration you will have to reconcile yourself to the fact that your son will not be able to live with you.

Yes, and my reply was that there is no obvious route. Skilled migration might be an answer but if he comes on a WHV he is pretty much limited to temporary bar work; that's no route to PR. If he wants to migrate, he would be best advised to stay in the UK, learn a trade or other skill in demand, do the necessary years of work experience and then queue up with everyone else - assuming the rules are the same in the future as they are now. Conceivably he could go down the partner route but it would be a bit of a gamble to turn up on a WHV and go looking immediately for a wife.

Broadly, if you go ahead with emigration you will have to reconcile yourself to the fact that your son will not be able to live with you.

+1

If he wants to move over it is going to be a LONG process. Unless he happens to meet, falling in live with, and move in with an Aussie in plenty of time to qualify for a partner visa (and then stay together for another two years after applying).

Wow! We dont have a problem with us going and him not hes a big boy he'll be fine. Things change, people make mistakes or wrong decisions. He aint on our visa. I kinda thought one of you guys would be able to point us in the right direction rather than pointing out where we went wrong. we already know that lol.

Ok well thanks for the help youve already give us though. I guess he'll have to 'queue up like everyone else' once he's suitably trained or marry and Aussy bird! :wacko:

I don't mean to be rude, I'm sure you mean well and I understand that this is a forum and people love sharing their opinions, but how can you sit there and actually write that? Pretty much limited to bar work on a WHV? Best advised to stay in the UK and learn a trade or other skill in demand? Broadly the OP will have to reconcile himself to the fact that his son will not be able to live with him? My reaction was 'Wow' too.

Hawkmoon, it's always best to sit down with a professional who can then get a complete overview of everything involved in the matter. That would be my advice. There may well be no viable PR visa he can apply for at this moment, but as a young British-Citizen with a Bachelor Degree a WHV (if eligible) could be a great option. This allows him to sample the lifestyle, get to spend a decent period of time with you, gain some of the valuable experience a future PR application may need and get a foot in the door with Australian employers that may lead to an offer of sponsorship.....He may not even like the country and end up going back to the UK after a bit of a holiday! Either way, far from being just a jolly while doing bar work, it can open up a lot of doors, for example a Bachelor Degree in business management meets the skill level for a 457 visa in many different occupations.

Of course nothing is guaranteed but makes far more sense to me to go out, sample the country, gain some work experience and give himself opportunities. But that's just going by the brief info I've read above, if you run all the details past an RMA there may be something that stands out.

All the best,

I don't mean to be rude, I'm sure you mean well and I understand that this is a forum and people love sharing their opinions, but how can you sit there and actually write that?

I write that because I don’t think sugar-coated hope is going to help anyone.

People have tried to get professional work whilst on a WHV but they find that the lead times for recruitment together with the restriction on working for an employer for no more than 6 months makes it a pretty much impossible task. The only work they seem to be able to find is bar work, agricultural work or other unskilled temporary work. The visa is designed for young people to take an extended holiday and earn a bit of subsistence money to fund it.

Proper work visas broadly fall into two types.

One is the skilled migration stream where you must have qualifications and experience in a shortage occupation. The OP’s son does not have any relevant qualifications and will not get the qualifications or experience in Australia on a WHV.

The other route is the sponsored route where you have skills that can’t be sourced in the current workplace. They require a minimum salary threshold and a demonstration that the jobs can’t be filled using local labour or an auditable training program to train local labour to do the work being filled my sponsored workers. Graduate entry level jobs are unlikely to meet these criteria, especially when the degree is in such a general field. WHV employment opportunities are not going to get you the experience or foot in the door that a 457 would require.

If I am missing something, please feel free to add to the discussion. But if I were the OP, I would be wary of paying for advice from someone who has a financial interest in painting a rosy picture.

Well my daughter came on a WHV degree qualified and never had to resort to bar work, nor have any of her friends.

Obtained a job in her field, basically events, was sponsored on a 457 and still here 2/12 years later.

obviously it probably does depend on your age qualifications and experience, and perhaps the older and more experienced you are there is more chance of being sponsored, but is is possible route and for some including my daughter the only way to migrate here was to take the chance, but you have to be realistic and not pin your hopes on it.

I write that because I don’t think sugar-coated hope is going to help anyone.

People have tried to get professional work whilst on a WHV but they find that the lead times for recruitment together with the restriction on working for an employer for no more than 6 months makes it a pretty much impossible task. The only work they seem to be able to find is bar work, agricultural work or other unskilled temporary work. The visa is designed for young people to take an extended holiday and earn a bit of subsistence money to fund it.

Proper work visas broadly fall into two types.

One is the skilled migration stream where you must have qualifications and experience in a shortage occupation. The OP’s son does not have any relevant qualifications and will not get the qualifications or experience in Australia on a WHV.

The other route is the sponsored route where you have skills that can’t be sourced in the current workplace. They require a minimum salary threshold and a demonstration that the jobs can’t be filled using local labour or an auditable training program to train local labour to do the work being filled my sponsored workers. Graduate entry level jobs are unlikely to meet these criteria, especially when the degree is in such a general field. WHV employment opportunities are not going to get you the experience or foot in the door that a 457 would require.

If I am missing something, please feel free to add to the discussion. But if I were the OP, I would be wary of paying for advice from someone who has a financial interest in painting a rosy picture.

Wrong wrong wrong wrong and wrong. You haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

- I've seen hundreds of people similar to the applicant position go down a WHV>457>PR route. Funnily enough recruitment consultant is one such industry that loves UK graduates like this. You said he is "pretty much limited to bar work". Wrong.

- You say he doesn't have a relevant qualification and won't get any experience in a skilled position in Australia? See above, wrong again. He MAY not find it, but he'll certainly find it easier from within the country on a WHV.

- A 457 visa does not always require the company to demonstrate they can't find local labour, in the OP's case it would be very unlikely to apply. Wrong again.

- A company has to show they meet training benchmark commitments if they have been trading for more than 12 months. Audit able training plans aren't a necessity. Wrong again.

- A 457 visa doesn't always require experience. The degree alone would be sufficient for a large number of occupations. Wrong again.

- You said that broadly speaking he should reconcile himself to living without his son. There are more options other than the above. Wrong, and unnecessary.

- You said he would be best advised to learn a skill or trade? Really? He's 21 years old, just finished a degree, doesn't seem too sure where he wants to live and yet you think he's best advised to spend another 5 years learning a trade and gaining the experience required for skilled migration? So wrong.

Is that enough for this discussion?

And nowhere have I said the OP should contact my company. I've been contacted privately by lots of people on this forum and I've given them further help, but I don't think my company has ever actually taken a client on from here. I knew when I joined here and other forums that seeking clients would be pointless because a) Even though our company has 4, I'm not a registered agent b) You can't directly advertise your own services, and c) Other companies already had a strong cross-referral presence here.....Yet I'm still here, still giving out free and accurate information, where exactly is my financial interest in all this? The admin here aren't silly, if anyone tried to use it solely as a way of advertising their business they would be out the door. Yet you see a few agents and also myself quite welcome here....Could that be because we give out good, honest information?

Many agents give out free assessments and the WHV option suggested can be completed by his son. Even if he hired an agent to complete it the cost would be minimal. So again where is my financial interest? We have plenty of clients and if we didn't this forum isn't the place to seek them!

I don't have any interest in painting a rosy picture, but I do have an interest in painting an accurate one. You and many others on this forum seem to take an interest in spouting absolute nonsense as if it's fact, with little thought of the consequences if someone actually followed your 'advice'. You imply I have an agenda (not for the first time) without knowing any facts, yet you're happy to continually post advice that is opinionated and untrue. What agenda do you and others have for giving advice without knowing if it's correct?

OP came here for advice and left by the end of it more confused, berated for not doing something and getting some shockingly bad advice......Not good and seems to be happening a lot on here recently. If people don't know the correct information they should refrain from advising.

Hi Beddy

My daughter was 20 and at University and was awarded her PR visa as my dependent. I had to prove that we were supporting her financially over and above her student loans and the visa was awarded. She too didn't live at home.

Do you have any recourse to appeal that decision, especially if you are still supporting her through college?

One is the skilled migration stream where you must have qualifications and experience in a shortage occupation.

Not true. I was offered a 457 when I was straight out of uni with the sponsoring company even paying some of our of relocation costs.

Archived