Ideas on where to live?

jeza77

Hi myself and partner are moving to sydney next month and don't have much of an idea on which suburb would be suitable.

We're mid 20s. BF has a job in the cbd.

Ideally we are looking for some where that is within walking range to cbd....20-30 minute walk.

Somewhere lively close to shops, cafes and bars. Somewhere that has a good feel to it without being crazy busy.

Have had a look on domain.com.au and a 1 bedroom apartment seems to be around $500pw so roughly around that mark would be OK.

Would appreciate some suburb ideas to look into or if living in the cbd is a good idea?

Thanks

Thanks will lock surry hills in...have got a week in Syd before starting work to have a decent look at areas

Paul- Hadn't thought to much about being near the beach. Are you talking manly?

Thanks will lock surry hills in...have got a week in Syd before starting work to have a decent look at areas

Could do Manly, it's a great spot, near the City but doesn't feel like it is, good pubs, great beach, good surf. You could go for Bondi or one of the others close by, there's a decent bus service into the City. Don't write off round Kings Cross. There are some very nice apartments around there with stunning Harbour views, close to all the action. The Cross is nowhere near as bad as the press makes it out to be. Even the Kings Cross Hotel is a yuppy paradise now. Decent links from the Kings Cross station.

Kings Cross is Darlinghurst really, same area

I third the previous suggestion of Surry Hills, for couples. Also other inner city areas - Darlinghurst, Redfern, Waterloo, Ultimo, Pyrmont (quieter, more Docklands-ish). Inner parts of the Inner West also worth a look, eg Glebe, Newtown at a push (great area but walking distance is pushing it) worth trying. But Surry Hills is great

Yep, another vote for Surry Hills. I don't live there (and I'm not in my 20s anymore!) but I work there and I love it, loads of good bars and shops and pretty tree lined streets. Also have a look at Balmain in the Inner West. Not crazy busy but good bars and restaurants and a lovely feel to it.

Hi ,

We are looking to move to around Sydney at the end of June 2014 (Family of 4 , Girls 20 and 12 ) and looking for an area which is close enough on public transport to Sydney for job hunting but nice for families for short-term (2-3 months) rentals ??

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated and any websites or agents to find short-term accommodation whilst we establish ourselves would be great !

Cheers

Hi ,

We are looking to move to around Sydney at the end of June 2014 (Family of 4 , Girls 20 and 12 ) and looking for an area which is close enough on public transport to Sydney for job hunting but nice for families for short-term (2-3 months) rentals ??

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated and any websites or agents to find short-term accommodation whilst we establish ourselves would be great !

Cheers

My sister in law lives in Surry Hills, which is lovely, but the area we liked as a family of 4 (1 boy aged 2, girl aged 5) was Pymble.

If / when we do move to Oz that's the place we are going to look at first.

Their is a app out what we use to do our searches .. realestate . com

Hi myself and partner are moving to sydney next month and don't have much of an idea on which suburb would be suitable.

We're mid 20s. BF has a job in the cbd.

Ideally we are looking for some where that is within walking range to cbd....20-30 minute walk.

Somewhere lively close to shops, cafes and bars. Somewhere that has a good feel to it without being crazy busy.

Have had a look on domain.com.au and a 1 bedroom apartment seems to be around $500pw so roughly around that mark would be OK.

Would appreciate some suburb ideas to look into or if living in the cbd is a good idea?

I wouldn't recommend the CBD. Although things have improved in recent years, it can still be a bit dead in the CBD on weekends. I lived in Paddington (near Centennial Park) and it took me about 40 minutes to walk to work. Pyrmont and Glebe are possibilities, possibly slightly cheaper than Surry Hills - it looks longer by road, but you can walk across the Pyrmont Bridge.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi ,

Cheers

Sutherland Shire it's a great area. My husband is from Miranda, which nowadays is quite expensive. We are looking into cheaper areas such as Engadine (our first choice), Kirrawee, Carinbangh. Engadine is about 40 minutes on the train to CBD, we have friends with young kids living around those areas and they love it, as it's not too far from the coast so it's cooler than inner west during summer. My husband says that by car to the beach (Cronulla) is about 20 minutes.

We live in Cronulla and love it. It is expensive but being so close to the ocean is priceless.

It really is. I do love being on the waterfront within a matter of minutes. Its also great being so close to the national park, and within easy access down to the South Coast.

• 1 month later...

Manly is a long ferry ride - yes it's on a boat so it's a great way to travel, but it is expensive and it's two hours out of your day. If you want to be near the beach I'd be more inclined to go Eastern Suburbs - Coogee, Bronte, Clovelly. Those beaches are a magnet for young people and have a nice vibe. Randwick is a good suburb which is close to all those beaches with cheap rentals, and there are express buses which go via the Eastern Distributor into town.

I haven't looked at property in Surry Hills in a while, but I'd have thought $500 would get you a shoebox there.

We live in Cronulla and love it. It is expensive but being so close to the ocean is priceless.

We just moved to Cronulla last week and it's beautiful! So many things to do outdoors with little kids - and that's winter!!!! People are friendly and for the most part look happy and positive.

Surry Hills is the best area but you can also go for the Argenton locality.

Argenton?! I had to Google that, thinking there was a pub I did not know in Surry Hills! Argenton is in Lake Macquarie! No wonder I'd not heard of it! It would take a week or more to walk to Sydney from there!

I've lived in Surry Hills on and off since 1987 when I first bought my flat (went back to UK for 12 years in between.) I am in Elizabeth Street, so five minutes to Central railway, and I could walk to Town Hall in 20 minutes, further to Wynyard and Circular Quay of course, and if it's a hot day, maybe better to get the bus or train.

I love Surry Hills, but you could look at any of the inner city suburbs to see if one 'grabs' you. Redfern has improved mightily in the years I've been here. There was a time when I would not go there after dark but now it's becoming hip with bars, cafes and restaurants all springing up in and around Redfern St. It's only one stop further on the train from Central too.

Darlinghurst is the same post code as Surry Hills - 2010 - I'm not sure where one ends and the other begins, somewhere on Crown St, maybe Oxford St? I actually like the East Sydney area between Oxford St and William St, and there is plenty happening around Kings Cross too.

You might prefer the 'vibe' around Newtown, compared to Surry Hills, very similar in some ways but also different. I think someone told me, or I read it on here, that Newtown is a bit like Camden (London?)

Come to think of it, one of the reasons I like Surry Hills is that it is in the middle of all the other inner city 'burbs, 20-30 min walk to Glebe or Newtown, Pyrmont & Ultimo, Paddington.

I've forgotten somewhere!? Chippo! Chippendale, between Cleveland St, Regent St, Broadway, and City Road, also worth a look.

Archived