I don't get it?????

Buttercup

It is not surprising surely that those in Oz retain an interest in what is happening in the UK and elsewhere. I expect I will as will still have friends and family there and will want to know what is going on. Not the tabloid stuff but then that is not on my radar anyway. Most of the posters on UK news and chat are in the UK anyway I find.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't get on here much these days as life is busy. However I have noticed when I do get the chance, almost more often than not that some people just love posting negative stories and headlines from the UK? I know this is the "UK news and chat" but why is it always the same negative headlines etc being posted? I know it ain't Utophia here, but where is? I just don't get it.... Can someone please enlighten me? Maybe this section should be called "Bad news as usual from the UK"!!. Is it just me, if so I stand corrected, but I don't think it is....

Tbh i think there's some on here who wont have a decent word said about the uk,"its a slum","its finished" etc etc,i'm always a bit disappointed when i see rhubarb like that posted,especially when it's Brits posting it,its far from the truth,as everyone knows,yes we've had a hard time of it the last few years,but we're not alone in that,things are picking up employment wise,although i "do" think cost of living is climbing a lot more than wages,but overall thing's are picking up.

I'm not nationalistic at all,but i'd never slate the UK,the truth/facts i dont mind,but "it's a slum" and "it's finished" etc etc,nah,i just cant give people any credence when they post stuff like that.

Equally though,there's some on here who wont have a decent word said about Australia,apply all the above to some posts about Australia,"there's no culture" etc etc,it bores the arse off me tbh,both places have pro's and con's,and the only people i listen to on here are the balanced poster's who point out the pro's and con's,and thankfully there's way more of those people than people who hate the UK or Aus

It's not hard to spot those that dislike the UK or Aus,so i just ignore them mostly,although i do cringe when i see "poms" slating their place of birth sometimes tbh,but if that's how they feel?well that's up to them,but i dont agree

Yep, I agree. I suppose more than anything I just wonder why some people just appear to be almost bordering addiction in their quest to post headlines from UK headlines more often than not of a negative/controversial nature? Very odd.... As they say "Nowt stranger than folk"????

Ticketyboo ta girl,nice to see yer again,always straight and direct you,love that,dont be a stranger eh,manana :wink:

Ha ha, yeah get straight to the bones me. Funny you should say that as I was only saying to someone today "stop fannying around and get straight to the bloody point- I'm starting to take root here". Anyways a bit off topic but any news on the house sale? You really gotta consider getting rid of that dish by the door with all those keys in though and putting your high heels under the bed:wink::biglaugh:

Ha ha, yeah get straight to the bones me. Funny you should say that as I was only saying to someone today "stop fannying around and get straight to the bloody point- I'm starting to take root here". Anyways a bit off topic but any news on the house sale? You really gotta consider getting rid of that dish by the door with all those keys in though and putting your high heels under the bed:wink::biglaugh:

Nah,no news on hse sale,doubt it will happen now,but such is life

Didn't think you'd remember! never seen anyone drink so much Lambrini ;)

Nah,no news on hse sale,doubt it will happen now,but such is life

Didn't think you'd remember! never seen anyone drink so much Lambrini ;)

Ha ha- Lambrini, I prefer Cinzano whilst skating around the house listening to Steely Dan :-))))))))

Can we please change the title of the site, to POM's in Oz and POM's that used to be in Oz and POM's that have never been to Oz oh and not forgetting Poms who are waiting to get to Oz ....jeees!

This just re-enforces the defensiveness of some people. The fact is, there is a section for UK News and Chat, but not one for Australian News and chat. That's all I was saying. I really don''t get your reaction to what I said? Maybe nothing bad happens in Australia, so there's no need for a separate section?

Guest Guest66881
Oh, is that it then... i'm still slightly baffled though as to why people keep posting headlines from UK tabloids, and of course taking the time to do so, when they are 'living the dream'? Oh, hang on, their probably doing it with a pair of tongs in their hands whilst flipping something over on the barbie, surfing, sunbathing, enjoying the great outdoors, embracing 'Aussieness' but they just can't drag themselves away from the papers... I'm sorry, I'm still none the wiser as to why people do this? It's actually quite funny and bizarre:confused::biglaugh:. I'm no mathematician but surely this takes time and effort, time that could be spent doing all the previously mentioned activities....????

PM me you obviously have issues, i might not reply straight away as i will be doing any one of your mentioned Aussie pass times:wink:

As for funny and bizarre, no more than you taking time out of your daily lifestyle to ponder and reply, chill out and breath why don't you:laugh:

This just re-enforces the defensiveness of some people. The fact is, there is a section for UK News and Chat, but not one for Australian News and chat. That's all I was saying. I really don''t get your reaction to what I said? Maybe nothing bad happens in Australia, so there's no need for a separate section?

There is a section for Aus News - News, chat and dilemmas - the explanation for this part of the forum says "all the latest news, gossip and general chat about migrating to and living in Australia. It contains a lot of news stories from Australia.

I'm just being sarcastic Stacey... I totally get why people like to keep up with the news, but it's always the negative/controversial stuff that gets posted the most. Yes you could argue bad news makes news but it's not all bad.... and that was my point really....

I suspect greater numbers pine for the old country than let on in such forums. The seeking out of negative stories consoles to some extent besides reaffirming they made the right decision during those moments of longing and doubt.

Guest Guest66881

Not much news comes out of Perth really, and it is nice to keep up with the old country (good or bad) just a pity some see it in the negative.

Guest The Pom Queen
Oh, is that it then... i'm still slightly baffled though as to why people keep posting headlines from UK tabloids, and of course taking the time to do so, when they are 'living the dream'? Oh, hang on, their probably doing it with a pair of tongs in their hands whilst flipping something over on the barbie, surfing, sunbathing, enjoying the great outdoors, embracing 'Aussieness' but they just can't drag themselves away from the papers... I'm sorry, I'm still none the wiser as to why people do this? It's actually quite funny and bizarre:confused::biglaugh:. I'm no mathematician but surely this takes time and effort, time that could be spent doing all the previously mentioned activities....????

Well I am sorry but I live in Aus, love Aus, love the UK as well, but no I am not out everyday in fact I struggle to get out and about, so I do often post news articles both in the UK and in the Aus section. Maybe it's the media you need to have a go at if the only news articles out of the UK are bad ones rather than the members who are posting it.

Guest The Pom Queen
I'm just being sarcastic Stacey... I totally get why people like to keep up with the news, but it's always the negative/controversial stuff that gets posted the most. Yes you could argue bad news makes news but it's not all bad.... and that was my point really....

As I said before it is fact that bad news sells newspapers hence when you do post a news article on the forum it can seem negative, give them news papers a kick over there and tell them to find some good news articles.

Guest The Pom Queen

I am sure Ali has mentioned this twice already now. We do have an Aussie news section it's been there for the last 10 years. We were asked by the ones moving back to the UK if we could have a UK news section as well which we did.

Guest Guest 47403

Bit ironic the UK news section came about because those returning wanted it, but they then whinge because it's not always positive news :wub:

Tbh i think there's some on here who wont have a decent word said about the uk,"its a slum","its finished" etc etc,i'm always a bit disappointed when i see rhubarb like that posted,especially when it's Brits posting it,its far from the truth,as everyone knows,yes we've had a hard time of it the last few years,but we're not alone in that,things are picking up employment wise,although i "do" think cost of living is climbing a lot more than wages,but overall thing's are picking up.

I'm not nationalistic at all,but i'd never slate the UK,the truth/facts i dont mind,but "it's a slum" and "it's finished" etc etc,nah,i just cant give people any credence when they post stuff like that.

Equally though,there's some on here who wont have a decent word said about Australia,apply all the above to some posts about Australia,"there's no culture" etc etc,it bores the arse off me tbh,both places have pro's and con's,and the only people i listen to on here are the balanced poster's who point out the pro's and con's,and thankfully there's way more of those people than people who hate the UK or Aus

It's not hard to spot those that dislike the UK or Aus,so i just ignore them mostly,although i do cringe when i see "poms" slating their place of birth sometimes tbh,but if that's how they feel?well that's up to them,but i dont agree

well said Pablo ....

Yep, I agree. I suppose more than anything I just wonder why some people just appear to be almost bordering addiction in their quest to post headlines from UK headlines more often than not of a negative/controversial nature? Very odd.... As they say "Nowt stranger than folk"????

People can post what they like, if you wish to see a good news post about the UK then feel free to post it. I'm sure we we could all do with a bit if cheer now and again.

I have today posted on CTF about what a lovely day we woke up to here in the Peak District, warm sun and blue sky. I even put up some photos. Maybe you have missed my post.

Archived