I don't get it?????

Buttercup

I don't get on here much these days as life is busy. However I have noticed when I do get the chance, almost more often than not that some people just love posting negative stories and headlines from the UK? I know this is the "UK news and chat" but why is it always the same negative headlines etc being posted? I know it ain't Utophia here, but where is? I just don't get it.... Can someone please enlighten me? Maybe this section should be called "Bad news as usual from the UK"!!. Is it just me, if so I stand corrected, but I don't think it is....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is part of the national psyche that our news is 'bad news' - although world wide news probably tends to focus on negative events - war, natural disasters, crime etc. I did notice in Australia many more news stories about 'how great we are' - I don't think there really is any difference in reality.

Opposition politicians tend to emphasise the bad to demonstrate why they should be in power & the newspapers supporting the opposition do the same.

Add to that a lot of people on here looking to leave the UK who either genuinely dislike certain aspects of UK life or are looking for reasons to convince themselves they are doing the right thing and a similar number of people already in Australia doing the same to be honest it is hardly surprising.

I rarely take any notice of the UK news section, I'm in the UK so I read the papers, watch the TV and see with my own eyes the 'state of the nation' so it's not have much interest.

I don't get on here much these days as life is busy. However I have noticed when I do get the chance, almost more often than not that some people just love posting negative stories and headlines from the UK? I know this is the "UK news and chat" but why is it always the same negative headlines etc being posted? I know it ain't Utophia here, but where is? I just don't get it.... Can someone please enlighten me? Maybe this section should be called "Bad news as usual from the UK"!!. Is it just me, if so I stand corrected, but I don't think it is....
it's called justification, and it needs to be reinforced occasionally.

:laugh:....its funny because its true.....its amazing how many seem to revel in posting these things....it definately is a case of justification....for those trying to reinforce their reasons for moving.....and those that want to move.

Guest Ptp113

Australia is utopia so obviously you don't 'get it'

Maybe there should be an Australia News and Chat? Seems to me a lot of the negative headlines about the UK are picked out by people living in Australia who just want to reinforce their reason for living there. I can't understand why they would do that, especially as some posters have said, it's utopia there?

Maybe there should be an Australia News and Chat? Seems to me a lot of the negative headlines about the UK are picked out by people living in Australia who just want to reinforce their reason for living there. I can't understand why they would do that, especially as some posters have said, it's utopia there?

There is - News, chat and gossip is mainly for Australia , whilst the UK News, chat and gossip is more for UK based news.

Cal x

Theres a lot of bashing yes ..theres Aussie bashing, French bashing, Greek bashing, Yank bashing, Boat people bashing.. and just bashing the peeps who post negative stuff about bashing...

At least it gets off the chest of some..

Theres nothing to be enlightened about

My sis is always whingeing about the UK, gone to the dogs etc etc...... Mind you it is hard to catch her - she's usually on European mini breaks, long haul holidays or relaxing at numerous music and film festivals locally to where she lives. She's not been very well, but she doesn't moan about the healthcare 'cos blimey - It's free! I rang my ma the other day and she said 'ooh you would love it today, the sun is shining and I have just been for a lovely walk by the sea (headlines at the time were UK devastated by storm/floods etc - and so it was - but not ALL of it). My mum said she was going to give up reading the daily mail 'cos it was full of 'doom and gloom'! (I never thought she'd come around). So I hear heaps of negative stuff from the UK but struggle to find evidence - OK I'm from a relatively posh area of SE UK and wasn't impressed that there was the need to set up a foodbank there - but I find the fact that people have to rely on foodbanks anywhere in the UK outrageous. The political climate in the UK does scare me a bit (I'm not too happy with Oz's) But at least there are lots of supportive people volunteering and donating to help those in need. One great 'take away' from my time in Oz is to really count your blessings - and most people I know in the UK seem to be doing pretty well.

Maybe it should say "Australia, news and chat"? It's not listed as being specific to Australia, like this one is for the UK.

Can we please change the title of the site, to POM's in Oz and POM's that used to be in Oz and POM's that have never been to Oz oh and not forgetting Poms who are waiting to get to Oz ....jeees!

So I hear heaps of negative stuff from the UK but struggle to find evidence - OK I'm from a relatively posh area of SE UK and wasn't impressed that there was the need to set up a foodbank there - but I find the fact that people have to rely on foodbanks anywhere in the UK outrageous. .

And I bet half the queue lining up for free food has an Iphone in one pocket and 20 Regal Kingsize in the other!

Guest Guest66881

It's what's in the news that day week, not much here after 9pm, so the news from here is boring as - i suppose it's what you get for living in such a cosmopolitan country, suck it up or spit it out, no dramas.

Tbh I haven't really noticed it recently. Mostly posts about floods but that's not telling lies is it? It's fact. Some people just seem to prefer to act like it's not happening if it isn't in their area. I'll admit it was a bit depressing in this section at one point

It's what's in the news that day week, not much here after 9pm, so the news from here is boring as - i suppose it's what you get for living in such a cosmopolitan country, suck it up or spit it out, no dramas.

Oh, is that it then... i'm still slightly baffled though as to why people keep posting headlines from UK tabloids, and of course taking the time to do so, when they are 'living the dream'? Oh, hang on, their probably doing it with a pair of tongs in their hands whilst flipping something over on the barbie, surfing, sunbathing, enjoying the great outdoors, embracing 'Aussieness' but they just can't drag themselves away from the papers... I'm sorry, I'm still none the wiser as to why people do this? It's actually quite funny and bizarre:confused::biglaugh:. I'm no mathematician but surely this takes time and effort, time that could be spent doing all the previously mentioned activities....????

Guest Ptp113
My sis is always whingeing about the UK, gone to the dogs etc etc...... Mind you it is hard to catch her - she's usually on European mini breaks, long haul holidays or relaxing at numerous music and film festivals locally to where she lives. She's not been very well, but she doesn't moan about the healthcare 'cos blimey - It's free! I rang my ma the other day and she said 'ooh you would love it today, the sun is shining and I have just been for a lovely walk by the sea (headlines at the time were UK devastated by storm/floods etc - and so it was - but not ALL of it). My mum said she was going to give up reading the daily mail 'cos it was full of 'doom and gloom'! (I never thought she'd come around). So I hear heaps of negative stuff from the UK but struggle to find evidence - OK I'm from a relatively posh area of SE UK and wasn't impressed that there was the need to set up a foodbank there - but I find the fact that people have to rely on foodbanks anywhere in the UK outrageous. The political climate in the UK does scare me a bit (I'm not too happy with Oz's) But at least there are lots of supportive people volunteering and donating to help those in need. One great 'take away' from my time in Oz is to really count your blessings - and most people I know in the UK seem to be doing pretty well.

Your sis is right!

Who said they were "living the dream"? Plenty people move abroad and still read and take interest in Uk news. I don't care if people put UK news up when they've moved. The only thing that gets on my nerves is when some people call the whole UK a dump because that's clearly just stupid

Who said they were "living the dream"? Plenty people move abroad and still read and take interest in Uk news. I don't care if people put UK news up when they've moved. The only thing that gets on my nerves is when some people call the whole UK a dump because that's clearly just stupid

I'm just being sarcastic Stacey... I totally get why people like to keep up with the news, but it's always the negative/controversial stuff that gets posted the most. Yes you could argue bad news makes news but it's not all bad.... and that was my point really....

Archived