Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

30 minutes ago, westwoodwizard said:

Without a long explanation, the 189 and 190 are not likely for me. My only hope is the 457 and yes I know that is changing into something else but I will assume that the new temporary program will have room for secondary mathematics teachers assuming there is a demand.

So that said, does anybody know whether there is hope for me as a secondary mathematics teacher to get a 457 for a state school in Brisbane (assuming I am successful with QCT registration with American qualifications)? Also, I do not want to just get there for a short while and leave...I hope to stay...

It is important that you treat a 457 for what it is. It is what it says on the tin. Temporary with no automatic path to PR and that you should assume you will have to leave at the end of the 457. In your case being over 45, which is now the ceiling for PR visas, it is a close certainty.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, westwoodwizard said:

Without a long explanation, the 189 and 190 are not likely for me. My only hope is the 457 and yes I know that is changing into something else but I will assume that the new temporary program will have room for secondary mathematics teachers assuming there is a demand.

So that said, does anybody know whether there is hope for me as a secondary mathematics teacher to get a 457 for a state school in Brisbane (assuming I am successful with QCT registration with American qualifications)? Also, I do not want to just get there for a short while and leave...I hope to stay...

I'd say your chances of a 457 visa for a state school in a nice place like Brisbane would be zero and even if you did, by some miracle, scrape a visa, it would be for a couple of years and you would have to leave. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2014 at 04:26, Manc84 said:

I arrived in Sydney on Xmas Day. I was lucky as I arrived on my girlfriend's 457 visa, her company paid for agents and visa fees. I've gained provisional accreditation to teach in NSW and I am awaiting accreditation from the CEO (Catholic Education Office), I applied 1st week of Jan and I'm still waiting.

I haven't got much teaching experience (2 years as a Secondary History/RE teacher, 1 year as Coordinator of PSHE), so on paper not a bad CV for my first 2 years.

I've applied for 15 job and nothing. I received a handwritten letter from a Principal which said something along the lines of, "Very impressive CV, you've put a lot off effort in but we don't want to take your application any further"

I've been in contact with SMART Teachers, I'm registered but they said I've arrived at the wrong time of year and that supply/cover will pick up in term 2.

In a nutshell, the feeling I'm getting is there are too many teachers and not enough jobs(In the majority of subject areas). A bit of a sweeping statement, I know. There does seem to be more maths/science jobs.

Luckily my gf is "keeping me", I am going to continue applying but eventually I'll have to get a job (ANYTHING!) because I'll go crazy

Good Luck to you all (you may need it)

Wow, I just found this old post. 

How times have changed. I've now got a permanent job at a great school. 

• Like 2

Hello All,

I read a post in one of the thread stating that degrees awarded by Indian universities are not recognized and Teachers with those degrees are not eligible to apply for Immigration. Could you please tell me if that's the case or if we can go ahead and proceed for immigration with the below details

My Wife - Post Graduate in English Language & Literature + 1 Year full time Bachelor's in Education (B.Ed) i.e teachers training qualification + 8 years of work experience teaching secondary school students in India's one of the highly reputed schools. Has 60 days of supervised teaching practice, however the college in which she was deputed did not award any separate document confirming the same. Upon approaching the university to which the college is affiliated we were told if they the college on their letterhead certifies the 60 day teaching practice, they can countersign or issue a certificate on the university letterhead certifying her 60 day practice as per AITSL. 

Please help with the information needed at the earliest! 

Edited by Satty

5 hours ago, Satty said:

Hello All,

I read a post in one of the thread stating that degrees awarded by Indian universities are not recognized and Teachers with those degrees are not eligible to apply for Immigration. Could you please tell me if that's the case or if we can go ahead and proceed for immigration with the below details

My Wife - Post Graduate in English Language & Literature + 1 Year full time Bachelor's in Education (B.Ed) i.e teachers training qualification + 8 years of work experience teaching secondary school students in India's one of the highly reputed schools. Has 60 days of supervised teaching practice, however the college in which she was deputed did not award any separate document confirming the same. Upon approaching the university to which the college is affiliated we were told if they the college on their letterhead certifies the 60 day teaching practice, they can countersign or issue a certificate on the university letterhead certifying her 60 day practice as per AITSL. 

Please help with the information needed at the earliest! 

Your question is a bit counterproductive. Get whatever documentation the college/university are willing to provide you with respect to the supervised teaching practice and submit it to the AITSL for their assessment along with all of the other required documents and application materials. Your question does no make sense about whether you can go ahead with immigration or not. You can only know that by getting the skills assessed by AITSL and you will know eventually once they have decided on the skills assessment. Nobody can tell you what AITSL will decide.

42 minutes ago, westwoodwizard said:

Your question is a bit counterproductive. Get whatever documentation the college/university are willing to provide you with respect to the supervised teaching practice and submit it to the AITSL for their assessment along with all of the other required documents and application materials. Your question does no make sense about whether you can go ahead with immigration or not. You can only know that by getting the skills assessed by AITSL and you will know eventually once they have decided on the skills assessment. Nobody can tell you what AITSL will decide.

Absolutely, you'll end up with people simply speculating. Unless of course someone was in the exact same problem from India (maybe). AITSL are very strict on their criteria and they won't care what experience you have or the schools you have taught at I'm afraid. They focus on your entry into teaching qualifications primarily although you can gain extra points for experience if successful.

On 26/08/2017 at 08:34, Stokie said:

Came out to QLD on a 457 4 years ago (but they're scrapping that visa now). Pretty straightforward regarding the visa, I'd heard stories that it was tricky to get in but DIBP were great - be open, be honest, do everything exactly as they ask you to. Only sticking point was the Queensland College of Teachers (pretty much the same thing as GTC in the UK) - they are incredibly pedantic and slow to act. It took them longer to decide if i could teach (my degrees and experience - 12 years science teaching met their 'high' standards) than it did for immigration to check me out.

The system in QLD is phenomenally different to the UK (and I found that hard to adapt to - but all good now), other states are the same, South Australia (Victoria/NSW) is more similar to the UK.

After making the adjustment, pedagogy is the same. I love it out here. You could do 60% of what's expected in the UK and they'll think you do tons here. There's not the same pressure - it rekindled that joy I had when I started teaching. If only they'd realise back home that if you give teachers more time, more spares, more cash and less pressure you'll get better value, instead of squeezing every bit or work out of us and checking on us all the time. Evenings and weekends are mine again. I plan and mark because I want to not because there's a work scrutiny coming. I haven't had that 'OMG it's Monday' or 'I don't want the holidays to end' for years, I enjoy work and look forward to going in. The country is awesome - so big and so diverse, and the quality of life you can have here is exceptional - as good as you want it to be! Easy to fly around.  You think nothing of a 3 hour flight for a days PD/weekend away - when would you ever have thought hmmm.....shall we fly to Turkey for the weekend, it's only a 3 hour flight??? Climate depends on where you are - I get blue skies and sunshine each day, which is just priceless. Working in/near a city is a completely different game to working 'rural' - that doesn't mean in the shadow of Uluru either. Anywhere in North Queensland is rural. I know so many teachers who were ready for the scrap heap who have recharged and are back in the game out here.

Don't not do it. Best thing I ever did!!!!

Wow @Stokie that has given me hope. I've been drained from 10 years of teaching secondary and sixth form in the UK. I arrived in Victoria in July, but owing to the fact that my son doesn't start prep until the end of Jan and then isn't full time until the end of Feb, I've not even started to consider looking for jobs. But I think I have also held back due to the fear that teaching in Australia might be as all-consuming as teaching in the UK and I'm actually enjoying getting to see my kids. Your post though has given me hope that I will actually be able to achieve a work/life balance here in Australia, so I may try dipping my toes in the teaching waters once my son starts school full time. 

Out of interest, whereabouts do you live to get the blue skies and sunshine everyday? Melbourne seems to have been mostly cloudy since we got here in July, so if summer doesn't impress us, we might be looking for a move northwards next winter, as I didn't move to Australia to be cold :-)

8 hours ago, duckygee said:

Wow @Stokie that has given me hope. I've been drained from 10 years of teaching secondary and sixth form in the UK. I arrived in Victoria in July, but owing to the fact that my son doesn't start prep until the end of Jan and then isn't full time until the end of Feb, I've not even started to consider looking for jobs. But I think I have also held back due to the fear that teaching in Australia might be as all-consuming as teaching in the UK and I'm actually enjoying getting to see my kids. Your post though has given me hope that I will actually be able to achieve a work/life balance here in Australia, so I may try dipping my toes in the teaching waters once my son starts school full time. 

Out of interest, whereabouts do you live to get the blue skies and sunshine everyday? Melbourne seems to have been mostly cloudy since we got here in July, so if summer doesn't impress us, we might be looking for a move northwards next winter, as I didn't move to Australia to be cold :-)

You know what season July is over here right? xD

On 24/09/2017 at 04:41, TeacherClem said:

Hi! Can someone point me in the right direction for looking for teaching jobs whilst still in the U.K.? E.g websites advertising jobs or is it best to email schools directly with cv and covering letter?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

There's SmartTeach and TES are trying to make strides into teacher recruitment in Oz. Generally school websites (if private) and the state recruitment sites have jobs advertised. However many schools won't take you seriously until you walk through the door with a CV.

• Like 1

Guest Anna9879
On 4/6/2015 at 22:40, Monkey2645 said:

Salloo - who is the online provider? Nottingham and Sunderland both over international pgce's, which include in classroom assessment as part of the qualification. However, you should be aware that you will not get QTS from any international PGCE - you must do your post PGCE teaching in a British school (not just curriculum) to get QTS - and as far as I know Oz will not recognise uk teaching qualifications without QTS (though my info isn't up to date on that). You can get QTS recognised based on experience - requires a min of 2 british curriculum schools and lots of evidence paperwork.

I have a PGCEI, which doesnt have OTS status, is it recognised by AITSL?

Guest Anna9879

I have a PGCEI, from the University of Sunderland, which was basically the same as a regular a PGCE course but the  12 week teaching practice was not done in UK, hence was not given QTS.

I'm considering migrating to Australia and was wondering whether, PGCEI is recognised by AITSL? even though it doesn't have QTS status, its contend is the same and has more than 45 days of supervised teaching.

On 30/09/2017 at 20:13, Anna9879 said:

I have a PGCEI, from the University of Sunderland, which was basically the same as a regular a PGCE course but the  12 week teaching practice was not done in UK, hence was not given QTS.

I'm considering migrating to Australia and was wondering whether, PGCEI is recognised by AITSL? even though it doesn't have QTS status, its contend is the same and has more than 45 days of supervised teaching.

This is a new one on me! (I'm give it a little bump up!) It's the international version isn't it so you've been working in an international school? I just had a look on the AITSL website and it didn't mention QTS anywhere...

Guest Anna9879
2 hours ago, benj1980 said:

This is a new one on me! (I'm give it a little bump up!) It's the international version isn't it so you've been working in an international school? I just had a look on the AITSL website and it didn't mention QTS anywhere...

yep, it doesnt mention anywhere, but wanted to make sure. Nah I havnt got any teaching experience as of yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I'm moving to Brisbane at the end of the year, and just wanted to get a bit of info re: the relief teaching situation there. I am a primary teacher.

• How much relief work can I expect to get (i.e. days per week)? I am looking for as much work as possible.
  • Is it worth registering with as many relief teaching agencies as possible in order to get the most work? Should I also register with individual schools?
  • What is the best agency to use?
  • How far away do you generally set as your limit for schools?

Thanks all, any info would be greatly appreciated :)

• 4 weeks later...

@Jelly I see no one responded. Most of the these questions you need to answer yourself ie commuting. Register with as many agencies as possible and go into schools with your resume, try to have some face to face conversations, teachers are supposed to be good at it! You need to get your name and face out there. I can't suggest how much work you will receive as I'm not in Queensland and there's too many other variables for anyone to give you a realistic estimate. The more rural you go the more likely there is work...

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just got visas approved! My partner got the skilled migrant visa and I’m going in as his partner.  I’m a primary school teacher looking to move to Victoria (Melbourne suburbs or Geelong area). Are there any other teachers in that area on here? 

I’ve just started looking into registering to teach in Victoria which seems to be a long process!

Just got visas approved! My partner got the skilled migrant visa and I’m going in as his partner.  I’m a primary school teacher looking to move to Victoria (Melbourne suburbs or Geelong area). Are there any other teachers in that area on here? 
I’ve just started looking into registering to teach in Victoria which seems to be a long process!

Congratulations on your grant! Unfortunately I can’t help with your question, my wife is a Primary school teacher though so interested to hear the responses you get.
I was wondering if you would be willing to share your timeline up to your grant? How long did you have to wait? We submitted ours in July and hoping it comes soon! Good luck finding your answers

13 hours ago, TeacherClem said:

Congratulations on your grant! Unfortunately I can’t help with your question, my wife is a Primary school teacher though so interested to hear the responses you get.
I was wondering if you would be willing to share your timeline up to your grant? How long did you have to wait? We submitted ours in July and hoping it comes soon! Good luck finding your answers

We started ours in June I think, at the end of August we were asked to submit more information which we did by the end of September. Visa approved on Tuesday! 

• Like 1