What are the Aus advantages over UK (apart from the sunshine :) ?

Fishenka

IMO in Adelaide, clean air its always fresh, if you like sun well this is the place to be, the crime I have to laugh having lived in USA (big cities) and London really its pretty damned safe, ease of getting about but its Adelaide...clean beaches and by this I mean hardly anyone ever on them really minimal litter compared to Los Angeles or UK for that matter. If this is what you like then you would love it - its relative and each person has their own desirable lists.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you all for your replies!

comments about space, weather and outdoorsy lifestyle were to be expected. Although I have to say (we live in London, well surrey zone 6 and commute to CL if to be precise) quality and variety of food and restaurants in Surrey/London are brilliant and it would be hard to beat that. As for chavs... Never had any issues with them being around or causing trouble so it does depend where you live in both countries I suppose. We are moving to Sydney and I really hope "troubles with bogans' is not going to be an issue

as for "less intellectual snobbery" that's a bit of a concern... We are more academic types and have more degrees between us than money :) which is not an issue in the uk at all. But if people in Aus are purely measured by how much they make and we are going to be looked down on by people making a fortune on mines etc than I don't really see it as a positive... That's a very shallow approach in my view...

I'm not quite sure how to advise you on that! I was a victim of intellectual snobbery in the UK - I was married to a teacher, and I worked as a secretary. I'd go to parties and if I told people what I did, they would immediately start talking down to me - the attitude was clearly, "she's just a typist so she's dumb". It was a relief to get away from that attitude in Oz, and in fact I quickly got a job as a supervisor and then as a manager.

On the other hand, one of the reasons we're considering moving to Canberra is that same attitude! Sit in a Sydney cafe and listen to the conversations - real estate, real estate, real estate. When we go down to Canberra, we've heard people debating the merits of the latest foreign film, or the rights and wrongs of education policy. We've got into a conversation with the person at the next table about the book they're reading. Most migrants seem to complain about a lack of "culture" in Australia and I have to agree with that. I love Sydney but it is a brash, look-at-me kind of town.

Having said that, if you're academics then your friends will probably be other academics anyway.

Just read two posts about (1) snobbery and (2) dog poo.

In my experience, there is much more of both here than in the UK.

Granted, about 90% of the snobbery I've encountered has come from Poms, not Aussies, and is usually materialistic bragging, like Poms tend to do.

Regards the poo, not sure if the dogs that did them were Poms or Aussies, but there is definitely more knocking about, although I've still not seen any white ones.

I think you've just scored a home goal...

You live, sorry exist, in Scotland, you're the last person to talk! I've lived and worked in more countries/places than you've had hot dinners, best for you not to go there or it will be embarrassing....

I'm not quite sure how to advise you on that! I was a victim of intellectual snobbery in the UK - I was married to a teacher, and I worked as a secretary. I'd go to parties and if I told people what I did, they would immediately start talking down to me - the attitude was clearly, "she's just a typist so she's dumb". It was a relief to get away from that attitude in Oz, and in fact I quickly got a job as a supervisor and then as a manager.

On the other hand, one of the reasons we're considering moving to Canberra is that same attitude! Sit in a Sydney cafe and listen to the conversations - real estate, real estate, real estate. When we go down to Canberra, we've heard people debating the merits of the latest foreign film, or the rights and wrongs of education policy. We've got into a conversation with the person at the next table about the book they're reading. Most migrants seem to complain about a lack of "culture" in Australia and I have to agree with that. I love Sydney but it is a brash, look-at-me kind of town.

Having said that, if you're academics then your friends will probably be other academics anyway.

Google what Bryce Courtenay said about Canberra after moving from Sydney. And the interview with his wife after he died.

Google what Bryce Courtenay said about Canberra after moving from Sydney. And the interview with his wife after he died.

I did read the article from The Canberra Times, and although it compares Canberra to Sydney, they were living in Bowral, which I don't think of as being in Sydney. Sydney is certainly spreading out, but not that far. They moved to Canberra partly to be closer to medical facilities, and partly to preserve the bush setting they'd enjoyed living in Bowral.

I don't mind Canberra, and might have moved there if I'd got a transfer when I worked for the Commonswealth Public Service. I noticed a quote in that article about Sydney people being baffled as to why she continues to live in Canberra, but I don't care where people live.

Christine Courtenay is baffled when her friends ask her when she plans to return to Sydney, and they are just as baffled when she replies that she plans to stay put in Canberra.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/late-authors-wife-says-canberra-move-a-love-story-right-from-the-start-20130207-2e1ow.html#ixzz2rrRoVFEb

In Canberra, it's usually "what level are you?" "Where do you live?" (Then followed by a slightly supercilious sneer if you live in one of the less desirable suburbs) "how much did you pay for your kitchen reno?" (You went to where? ikea!!!) "Is that your new car?" (Then followed by an expose on their new super duper usually green monstrosity that they got at a bargain price because they knew someone) "which school do your kids go to?" (Suppose that could be construed as education policy). My generalized observation (only 3 decades worth) is that they talk but don't listen only to get a foothold so they can tell you what they've seen, done, bought with a very thinly disguised need for one upmanship. I'm sure there are the odd couple who may discuss books - the volunteers at the Lifeline Bookfair talk about nothing else!

I did read the article from The Canberra Times, and although it compares Canberra to Sydney, they were living in Bowral, which I don't think of as being in Sydney. Sydney is certainly spreading out, but not that far. They moved to Canberra partly to be closer to medical facilities, and partly to preserve the bush setting they'd enjoyed living in Bowral.

I don't mind Canberra, and might have moved there if I'd got a transfer when I worked for the Commonswealth Public Service. I noticed a quote in that article about Sydney people being baffled as to why she continues to live in Canberra, but I don't care where people live.

Christine Courtenay is baffled when her friends ask her when she plans to return to Sydney, and they are just as baffled when she replies that she plans to stay put in Canberra.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/late-authors-wife-says-canberra-move-a-love-story-right-from-the-start-20130207-2e1ow.html#ixzz2rrRoVFEb

Wrong article. They moved to Canberra and wife is still here.

In Canberra, it's usually "what level are you?" "Where do you live?" (Then followed by a slightly supercilious sneer if you live in one of the less desirable suburbs) "how much did you pay for your kitchen reno?" (You went to where? ikea!!!) "Is that your new car?" (Then followed by an expose on their new super duper usually green monstrosity that they got at a bargain price because they knew someone) "which school do your kids go to?" (Suppose that could be construed as education policy). My generalized observation (only 3 decades worth) is that they talk but don't listen only to get a foothold so they can tell you what they've seen, done, bought with a very thinly disguised need for one upmanship. I'm sure there are the odd couple who may discuss books - the volunteers at the Lifeline Bookfair talk about nothing else!

You really did hang out with some strange people, as those subjects never arose. Must have been a public servant? Anyway Bryce Courtenay loved it, wished he'd moved here ten years earlier.

I think you can equally have as good a quality of life in either place, its what you make of it. Weather isn't everything, here in Oz its too hot a lot of the time which is equally as annoying as rain....

Moving to Australia will set you back a number of steps, this is what comes as a shock to most, many people dont think of this and I think is a large factor why so many go home after a year or two.

Economy is changing in Australia so work opportunities aren't as good as the UK.

There aren't any better points, equally both have good and bad, its just which you prefer.

Personally I think I prefer the UK, its where I am from so I'm one of them, i like a full conversation which is engaging and interesting rather than the high level I talk then you talk type conversations here.

Its full of history and there's more to see and do in the UK and kids do have better work opportunities and better schooling in the UK but if i just liked the beach and fishing i would prefer Oz.

It isnt bad here and I will stay a few more years until my job finishes

I think you can equally have as good a quality of life in either place, its what you make of it. Weather isn't everything, here in Oz its too hot a lot of the time which is equally as annoying as rain....

Moving to Australia will set you back a number of steps, this is what comes as a shock to most, many people dont think of this and I think is a large factor why so many go home after a year or two.

Economy is changing in Australia so work opportunities aren't as good as the UK.

There aren't any better points, equally both have good and bad, its just which you prefer.

Personally I think I prefer the UK, its where I am from so I'm one of them, i like a full conversation which is engaging and interesting rather than the high level I talk then you talk type conversations here.

Its full of history and there's more to see and do in the UK and kids do have better work opportunities and better schooling in the UK but if i just liked the beach and fishing i would prefer Oz.

It isnt bad here and I will stay a few more years until my job finishes

Couldn't agree less on that score.

To any newer members, if you're looking for any advice, general tips on anything, just do the opposite of what dustyroad says.

TBH Some of what Dusty has written i totally agree with, i guess we are all different and have varying opinions.

When you arrive it is like starting adult life all over again, ive said this since the time i arrived 7 years ago. If you move to a different country and know no one or nothing ,you cant expect to jump off the plane and pick up where you left off,its a ladder waiting to be climbed all over again. You need to find housing, a job, where to go for what and more importantly, friends, if you think back to how many years it took you to do all this in the UK its understandable IMO that it wont happen over night once here.

The weather isnt everything to all of us,some prefer cooler temps ,some like the heat,neither are wrong or right, but we personally find it makes life much more enjoyable when you can plan ahead a lot more securely than we have been used to, we also find water sports,fishing,camping and general family days out much better without getting wet or wearing 5 layers of clothing,lol.

Cal x

I don't understand, nor see any of,the differences that others find between OZ & UK. Different conversations depending on whether you are talking to an Aussie or a Pommie!? Turn it up/Leave it out!

More history in the,UK? To a,point, but the history most people are interested in, is Downton Abbey, Dickens and Bronte ie post 1788.

I am sitting in corner of,Double Bay 18 Foot Sailing Club, and there is a hubbub of conversation. Does anybody really think they are talking about,anything different in a similar sailing club in the UK?

I don't mean the general "better lifestyle" advantage but small or not so small actual things that you think a better in Aus?

it seems like everyone incl me can write a long list about UK and many have pretty much done so on here but I am really interested in your view on Aus exclusively from the positive side :)

thank you! :)

Its really about the same. Its largely about what you make of it as with anything in life !!

For us what we like the most is:

Cheaper housing (London compared to Adelaide) - we can actually afford to buy a 4 bed house here (we earn only $100K a year between us) which is 100m from the beach, in London we probably wouldn't have even been able to save enough for the deposit to get a 2 bed.

Better quality of life for our toddler - yes there were museums, but only 1 park nearby, our flat in London didn't even have a balcony. Here we walk the dog on the beach, lots of childrens parks nearby to play in, we can go kayaking, fishing, walking in the hills, go to wildlife parks etc...this wouldn't have been as easily accessible for us in London.

Fortnightly pay is amazing.

Getting money for your cans and bottles in SA

We have never had to pay for anything for the doctors (our doctor bulk bills everyone)

Cheaper public transport (compared to London)

A proper summer (41c) today - we don't have to take wellies when we go to festivals!

Getting paid overtime and having a 38 hour working week - I know this is just personal experience but most of my jobs in the UK had a 45 - 48 working week for average pay and no overtime, and some had up to 70 hours with the same.

There are lots of things the UK is better for though, and we loved London. Ultimately Adelaide is better for us as our little boy will have a better life here as we can afford a house with a garden.

I guess it all depends on where you are coming from, for example I hate London so would be eternally greatful of moving to Oz if I lived in that rate race.

I lived in quite a nice area where things are pretty relaxed and people are quite well off, that isnt the whole of the UK though. I will say I live in a similar area here in Perth but I have had to start again in many respects however its not all or nothing for me. I know I will be moving elsewhere in a few years and thats why I dont mind Perth right now.

To any newer members, if you're looking for any advice, general tips on anything, just do the opposite of what dustyroad says.

....but everything he says is true. The job market has slowed right down - its important to let newbies know its not like 20 years ago when folk came here for cheap houses and lots of well paid work.

...I do consider it a positive of Australia and think it is absolutely right that an apprenticeship is valued as highly as a degree and that someone working 12 hour shifts in inhospitable conditions in a mine earns more than I did in an air-conditioned office!

I think young people, boys in particular have much more opportunity in Australia if they aren't the intellectual type.

This, though, is not going to stand Australia in good stead for the future. I see heaps of young people (we have three boys under 20) who see that rewards do not necessarily flow from success in schools. That's just because the pay-off matrix in Australia right now is based on huge income from overseas for mined products. So we see schoolkids deciding not to bother with school because they believe they will hit the big time driving an excavator in the WA desert.

However, tomorrow belongs not to the nations that dig up their minerals and sell them to others, it belongs to the other nations that buy the minerals and do something useful with them. The sustainable future is in a knowledge based economy. Australia will soon pay a price unless it wakes up to this.

This, though, is not going to stand Australia in good stead for the future. I see heaps of young people (we have three boys under 20) who see that rewards do not necessarily flow from success in schools. That's just because the pay-off matrix in Australia right now is based on huge income from overseas for mined products. So we see schoolkids deciding not to bother with school because they believe they will hit the big time driving an excavator in the WA desert.

However, tomorrow belongs not to the nations that dig up their minerals and sell them to others, it belongs to the other nations that buy the minerals and do something useful with them. The sustainable future is in a knowledge based economy. Australia will soon pay a price unless it wakes up to this.

Just our bad luck to have all these minerals lying around. Still, it could have been worse. We might have been cursed with Saudi Arabia's oil.

Just our bad luck to have all these minerals lying around. Still, it could have been worse. We might have been cursed with Saudi Arabia's oil.

You are misunderstanding. It is not bad luck to have the minerals, but it is bad luck to invest your future in a labouring economy. I don;t think that's what Saudi Arabia and the gulf states have done - by and large they have migrant workers for the muscle and have invested the mineral proceeds in a knowledge economy. If you want a closer parallel to what Australia risks doing now, look at Nauru.

Archived