Is Australia getting a belated GFC

simmo

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/gfc-killed-250000-australian-jobs/story-fnkgbb3b-1226803603661

It doesn't look good. I hope it isn't heading for the kind of hardships we had here in Europe.

An extra 8000 Australians joined the unemployment queue last month.

The number of jobless Australians jumped 9.5 per cent during 2013, while the number of working Australians grew just half a per cent.

Full-time jobs dwindled by 31,600 last month - offset by 9000 extra part-time jobs.

The official data shows that 67,000 full-time jobs vanished during 2013 - while 122,100 part-time jobs were created.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/gfc-killed-250000-australian-jobs/story-fnkgbb3b-1226803603661

It doesn't look good. I hope it isn't heading for the kind of hardships we had here in Europe.

Not forgetting all the "casual" employees, all the migrants from all over the world (poms included) who are seeking employment and not included in the figures...the books are cooked to make Australia more appealing on the Global market. Austalia is in a major downward turn but never mind, have a beer and barbie if you choose not to see it then it's not happening.

Seriously though, Australia does seem to be going through a period of readjustment. The dollar is too high, and the wages too high, but give it a year or two of pain, and she'll be right.

You joining the bitter and twisted gang then g? why dont you enjoy being where you are instead of letting your experiences eat you up,like some of the saddoes on here who only come on to slate aus or the uk?

Sorry mate, can't help it sometimes, there are some on here who drag you down to their level.

Sorry mate, can't help it sometimes, there are some on here who drag you down to their level.

Crack on mucker,not something that i lose any sleep over,click the mouse and pio has gone for another day.

Just cant understand people who join a forum purely to slate either country,like the grown men with families who have nothing to do but scour the internet all day looking for bad news stories to post,pitiful

Ouch, I'm sure there are several on here who felt that ;-)

I only need one rule/principle to be ok with meself g,never say anything on here you wouldn't say to someone's face,that way you might be a t##t in some peoples eyes,but what matters is "i" know im being honest if nothing else

I say the same to a cpl who live on here purely to slate the uk btw,dont get it,find it bizarre really,honest open posts/reasons about why a poster might not like aus or the uk i find helpful,but spending all day running either place down,and then trying to "dress it up" as banter is somebody trying to kid themselves they haven't got issues in my mind,it's just not normal is it?!wtf lol

If it happens I'm sure we'll get through it somehow. We came in the middle of a recession and it didn't put us off emigrating. Both gave up good jobs to come with nothing to come to and we managed then. Unemployment in 92 was a lot worse than it is now, but we wanted a change.

The unemployment rate when the GFC hit (2007) was 4.4% and actually fell to 4.2% in 2008. Since then it has increased to be about 5.8% according to the article. Much less where we are in WA. Same website I looked at showed the unemployment rate in 1999 (as far back as it went) was 7.5%. I have a feeling it was much worse in 92 when we came and had slowly been on the decrease.

Living here I've been reading for a few years now how things are going into decline, the mining boom is over, big companies have stopped investing, people are being laid off and I haven't really seen things change that much. I think we are lucky in this part of the country though and wouldn't want to be live somewhere that's going to be affected by Holden leaving manufacturing, for example. There are going to be pockets of fairly high unemployment and other pockets where there is next to none. Northern Territory seems to be doing exceptionally well.

Just edited the quote to reflect what your really thinking.

Sure I said this earlier, but look at you allowed to post in the Oz news section. Sure you'll flood this area of the forum with your anti Oz sentiment as well :wink:

I had to read it twice Baz, expecting it to be like you wrote.:rolleyes:

Archived