Hopes dashed!!!!

lano8530

oh has $1300 to pay first then $7000 for all of us afterwards, independantly it costs £5400. can we go on a temp visa as a family?

I know a lot of people on here decry the 457, and it is risky, however, we came over as a family on a 457 and our sponsoring company paid for; all visa costs, shipping up to $15k and flights. Then 2 years later the company paid half and we paid half for our 186 permanent visas....which were granted on 20 Dec. Many companies also help with school fees if required on a temp visa (although Victoria doesn't charge fees....yet!) don't give up, if its meant to be, you'll find a way!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh has $1300 to pay first then $7000 for all of us afterwards, independantly it costs £5400. can we go on a temp visa as a family?

Im assuming you're looking at a 189/190?

DIBP fee for main applicant is $3,520

Each additional applicant over 18 is $1,760

Each additonal applicant under 18 is $880

Skills assessment can run anywhere between $300 to $2,000 for some trade occupations

IELTS is another £130, might even need to retake it.

Police clearances for all applicants over 16 is at least £90 for UK alone

Medicals are conservatively around £275 (for each applicant), may be able to get a family discount but still a large amount.

If state sponsorship is required this can be another $200-300

Misc costs for postage, certification etc

That's all without any agent fees.....It quickly adds up.

we were planning on selling pur stuff just bringing clothes some of the kids stuff, i have been looking at gumtree at 2nd hand furniture to get average prices with exception of mattress' bond for house $1700-2000 rent is around $450pw, $600 budget for food for first 2 weeks along with utility and insurance money. i have also priced items i will need asap like plates pots etc aswell as furniture! we are not looking for the best i have no problem starting at the bottom and working my way up we need to get out of here as we cant afford to live aus looked like the ans with the budget we had set! we spoke to agent today who said we dont have to use visa asap if we got it so i would choose dec to start my children in a fresh year of school in aus! thank you all for your replies!! With 457 are you tied to that employer?

You can change employers but the new one would have to nominate you for a position in their business. A 457 to PR route is likely to cost more in financial and benefit terms unless you have a very supportive employer. Someone mentioned school fees above which can be a massive cost to temporary visa holders.

I hate sounding so negative, but it's better to go into it with your eyes open rather than underestimating and struggling down the line. Hope you can find a way to make it.

All the best,

Edited by Adam Grey
Spelling correction

we need to get out of here as we cant afford to live

That's a big alarm bell. If you're struggling that bad then moving here would be worse, unless you have a well-paid job lined up. Or at least, _a_ job lined up.

Moving to Oz will effectively remove at least 10k GBP from your resources, minimum. Unless you've got a trade in demand (I mean one that employers want, not some fairy story on the CSOL) then you'll be burning money from day one here as well. For safetys sake, you need to have enough money to cover yourself for the first month without income. For sanitys sake, bring enough to cover you for 6 months without income.

If you can't afford to live in the UK then forget trying here. At least in the UK there is a benefits system that will help you, if you came on a 457, and even for a certain time period on other visas, you get either nothing or little.

The expenses when first moving are eye watering, there are always newly moved people on here saying they are going through money like water in the first few months. If you are relying on loans to begin with then this seriously isn't the move for you. Even rental costs for example, yes you would need bond and four weeks rent - but if you don't hav proof of a job you may have to pay anywhere from 3-6 months upfront to secure a place. That's another common thing people report on here. So just there you're talking thousands.

Just because people really really want to do something doesn't make it realistic or sensible. Sorry to be harsh, but if you think this is a cheaper country to live in I'm telling you straight, it isn't. As others have said, good well paid jobs mean a good lifestyle, otherwise expect to struggle.

P.S. to work in early years education here in QLD you need to have a four year degree.

Edited by Tickled Pink

he is a solid plasterer! although here in ireland is qualified in aspects as thats the way it is here!! i also have a diploma in childcare and education, fetac level 5 social studies and cert in palliative care! :-)

Construction work is notoriously hit and miss. Palliative care (and aged care in general) is in demand, but not particularly well paid. Have you any experience in this field? I'm afraid that most certs aren't recognised here without doing some sort of additional training, which is obviously an additional expense.

I think you need to think about how to save cash before thinking about the move.

Sponsorship on your occupations is VERY unlikely. Even if you did, it is normally a temp visa for a maximum of 4 years. It is tied to the employer so if you lose your job, you have 90 days to leave the country or find another sponsor willing and able to sponsor - not every company can.

The cost of the visa is actually a tiny amount of the cost of moving to Oz. On top of the visa you have:

Shipping £4k ish

Flights £2-3k

Temp accommodation $2k min

Bond and first months rent payable in advance $4k

A car $2k min

Getting the kids ready for school ?k (will vary but can be a LOT

Then you need enough money to pay the rent, bills, food, daily living costs for a period of months (At least 3) while you find work. $15k minimum.

Construction work is notoriously hit and miss. Palliative care (and aged care in general) is in demand, but not particularly well paid. Have you any experience in this field? I'm afraid that most certs aren't recognised here without doing some sort of additional training, which is obviously an additional expense.

my childcare does work in Aus i have been onto agencies and have friends working in aus i studied with. we would be applying under my husband, we are not moving for the high life we are moving for work as you all jkeep pointing out about the uk i dont live their i live in Ireland lol we are not part of the uk! we would be living with brother until we get jobs then start to look for housing! a friend from here is a site foreman in brisbane he said plasterers are in demand have researched childminding jobs they are also in great demand and agencies told me my diploma would give me a great boost in that area along with my occu first aid. I know it seems crazy but i dont have to worry about loan it will be getting paid from this side not from aus wages!! we just hadnt banked on visa cost being so high!! i love ireland and would love to stay with my friends and family but there are simply no jobs we are in a serious recession!!

Guest littlesarah
You should see the spreadsheet!!!

I'm not looking forward to AHPRA, but I needn't worry about them until I've tackled ANZPAC (Podiatry).

I just keep updating the prices and the exchange rate on my spreadsheet... that was no fun at all last year when the visa costs went up!!

Sorry to take this off-topic, but the ANZPAC bit shouldn't be too arduous, because UK pod degrees are considered equivalent to Australian degrees (and having trained in the UK and now working at an Aus uni I can say that they are very, very similar). I don't think AHPRA is quite as bad for pods as for nurses, because UK-trained pods will have completed degrees that are uniform in terms of level of award and content (whereas nursing training evolved over a longer period of time and included several different pathways and assessment types, not to mention different levels of academic award that led to registration).

Maybe the 'list-making' thing is a podiatry-related obsession - I had an alphabetised book that listed contacts, with the first few pages dedicated to a timeline of what needed to be done when. In fact, I found the file-o-fax I used in the year before we came over here the other day, and I was quite impressed with how I'd drawn up a month-by-month to-do list for that final 12 months before we arrived here!

Early in my career, I used to earn some extra money by seeing some private patients (I worked for the NHS at the time) - it was good for me because I could live off my main wage, and I just saved the extra I earned from my private work. Just make sure you declare anything extra you earn - HMRC tend not to be very forgiving if they think you've earned more than you told them about.

I know it seems crazy but i dont have to worry about loan it will be getting paid from this side not from aus wages!!

That does seem crazy. How can you be paying off a loan in Ireland when you have no income there?

Back to your other points; living with a reli will cut your expenditure a lot. If your site foreman contact is sincere, ask him about sponsorship. Beware of agencies; they make their money through matching workers to companies. The more of each they have on the books the better. They don't incur any liability if they have no work for you right now.

You didn't mention if you had experience in aged care.

Although the visa cost seems steep, it's really the least worrisome aspect. Fortunately the visa process has been rationalised over the last 2 years or so. Even so, it's very difficult to pick your dates. The first thing to do would be to make sure that you qualify for a visa. Others have had their "hopes dashed" because their occupation has been removed from the skills list weeks prior to lodging the visa application. That really sucks. At the moment you're carping because Oz want to recoup the costs of processing your application and giving you permanent access to the country.

I really feel for you and others trying to make a better life for you and your families, as we did in 2012 we had nothing lost our house in uk and jobs and hit rock bottom, we took a chance and came on a 457, im not saying it was easy we let money off family for flights and shipping and landed with £1500. the 1st year was really hard a family of 6 all kids at school so expense for that, there were times we only had money left for bread and milk and im talking less than $5 till partner got paid which is thankfully fortnightly but we managed i got a job start of 2nd year and we have saved and saved it cost us $900 for skillls assessment, police checks here around $150 uk police checks around $200 from here for 2 of us, visa $8800 and meds $1892 and visa has just been granted. It can be done as were living proof of that, yes it is hard it also makes you thrifty which i was never before and very cautious as in no debt here no cc or loans we buy what we can afford, were now saving to build a home, weve yet to go on holiday or visit theme parks etc but look forward to that this year, i wish you the very best of luck and dont give up x x

Edited by princess sofia
spelling

we were planning on selling pur stuff just bringing clothes some of the kids stuff, i have been looking at gumtree at 2nd hand furniture to get average prices with exception of mattress' bond for house $1700-2000 rent is around $450pw, $600 budget for food for first 2 weeks along with utility and insurance money. i have also priced items i will need asap like plates pots etc aswell as furniture! we are not looking for the best i have no problem starting at the bottom and working my way up we need to get out of here as we cant afford to live aus looked like the ans with the budget we had set! we spoke to agent today who said we dont have to use visa asap if we got it so i would choose dec to start my children in a fresh year of school in aus! thank you all for your replies!! With 457 are you tied to that employer?

Your figures are wildly optimistic. If you take out a lease on a house that has weekly rent of $1700, you are going to need a minimum of 8 weeks' rent up front - that's 4 weeks for the deposit and 4 weeks rent in advance. But without fixed employment you are likely to need up to six months rent paid up front plus your deposit - and that's $12,000. Your food works out at $10 a day per person. That can't be done, especially if you are stocking a kitchen from scratch. And why are you budgeting for only two weeks? Even if you got a job within two weeks (very unlikely) you would need to wait another two weeks before you started seeing the pay coming in.

I can understand the temptation to sell stuff before you leave to get the cash to finance a move, but in reality you get almost nothing for your stuff and then you'd have to pay high prices in Australia to replace it. I haven't ever bought from Gumtree but even stuff on that is not cheap and would require transporting from far flung places.

Guest littlesarah

OP, I don't think anyone is deliberately trying to bring you down or cast doubts on the viability of your plans - it's just that most of us have read some threads from desperate people who are in a dire straits after coming to Australia on a shoe-string and being unable to find work.

I agree that having accommodation already set up with family makes things a whole lot easier - for us it really took the pressure off (though I already had contacts and interviews lined up, because my occupation is in seriously short supply). But I echo those who suggest that you don't forget to factor in the costs of setting up - and getting your personal effects here. We were given various bits of furniture by in-laws who live here, but decided to ship a few things that we really liked as well as our personal effects (the additional cost was in the hundreds of pounds, so it seemed daft to cut corners there - but it may be that you don't have as many photos, etc as we do. I thought we owned very little until we came to consider getting it all to Australia!) Even buying the essentials from cheaper shops still adds up - it's not that hard to get through a few hundred dollars and still have only the barest of kitchen equipment. In the end, I was glad we'd bothered to ship kitchen items etc because it saved us having to spend more money to buy items that we'd probably paid less for in the UK! Yes, it was an outlay to get the things here, but for what it cost in shipping we probably would have incurred more cost to get similar items, and we'd paid for most of the shipping costs before we arrived, so it was money we didn't have to find out of our Australian wages (though we had equity from our house sale that we used towards buying a house and setting ourselves up).

I wouldn't say definitely don't do it, but I would urge you to think really carefully and do lots of research (speak to as many people as possible, make as many contacts as you can, find out from sub-contractors about the work situation, check the work situation in terms of positions vacant and wages offered, qualifications considered 'essential' and 'desirable', and make sure you have an accurate idea of what is reallly happening). Sometimes people tell us what they think we want to hear - it's well-meant but not necessarily helpful). And of course, the work situation in the construction industry can change quite quickly, so you need to try to be up to speed with what is happening. If there is any way at all that you might be able to gather together a small contingency fund to bring with you (preferably without selling all your worldly goods), I'd suggest you do so.

Whatever you end up deciding to do, I hope you make a go of it, I really do.

Don't give up hope my lovely. On paper we shouldn't have done it. We came with hardly any money and just shipped personal stuff. My OH did start work within two weeks and we didn't have to pay months of rent up front. We got a car for $4000 and we managed. Others have their own stories but for us it worked. Good luck to you and your family.

Don't give up hope my lovely. On paper we shouldn't have done it. We came with hardly any money and just shipped personal stuff. My OH did start work within two weeks and we didn't have to pay months of rent up front. We got a car for $4000 and we managed. Others have their own stories but for us it worked. Good luck to you and your family.

Thank you for your kind reply!! i am trying not to give up, agent has told us we would get a visa based on oh qualifications! i will be bringing photos and some kids stuff and tvs. i have priced kitchen appliances in aus and am happy to buy them there what i have here have seen better days lol!! i have been doing lots of research for this inc furniture buying etc its just suits us to buy im no snob second hand will do me i budgetted $600 for food only as mentioned above but this is not to inc car hire insurances utilities etc i had other money for that we have alot of people we know in Aus and oh we start work as soon as he is ready! i have budgetted 2 weeks as we will be spending first few with brother who weill help is out its then when we move into our rented home my other budget kicks in like utilities etc i have been in contact with real estate agencies as to what i need and was told range bond is $1700 for area we want and $400-450pw i also have this plus the month added in!! we first inq about visa and were told €3500 which i then planned on from but later learned they were not to be trusted!!

That does seem crazy. How can you be paying off a loan in Ireland when you have no income there?

Back to your other points; living with a reli will cut your expenditure a lot. If your site foreman contact is sincere, ask him about sponsorship. Beware of agencies; they make their money through matching workers to companies. The more of each they have on the books the better. They don't incur any liability if they have no work for you right now.

You didn't mention if you had experience in aged care.

Although the visa cost seems steep, it's really the least worrisome aspect. Fortunately the visa process has been rationalised over the last 2 years or so. Even so, it's very difficult to pick your dates. The first thing to do would be to make sure that you qualify for a visa. Others have had their "hopes dashed" because their occupation has been removed from the skills list weeks prior to lodging the visa application. That really sucks. At the m

oment you're carping because Oz want to recoup the costs of processing your application and giving you permanent access to the country.

we will have money freed up not being paid on utilities