Hopes dashed!!!!

lano8530

we will have money freed up not being paid on utilities

Still doesn't make sense to me. The visa cost is double what you thought, so you're taking a 3500$ loan to cover it. And you're going to pay this back with money that you otherwise would have spent on gas, electricity and water? That's a lot of utilities.

But anyway, at least you're considering all the angles. First job though; get the visa.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still doesn't make sense to me. The visa cost is double what you thought, so you're taking a 3500$ loan to cover it. And you're going to pay this back with money that you otherwise would have spent on gas, electricity and water? That's a lot of utilities.

But anyway, at least you're considering all the angles. First job though; get the visa.

The loan was for relocation not visa!! so when we planned to relocate that money would have been going into the bank anyway. As you all point out Aus is expensive try living in Ireland not one bit cheap!!!

The loan was for relocation not visa!! so when we planned to relocate that money would have been going into the bank anyway. As you all point out Aus is expensive try living in Ireland not one bit cheap!!!

I had to take a loan out once to order two pints of Guinness in the Temple bar....

Hi lano, I recently made the move from Dublin to Perth so can understand your desire/need to get out of there. Just wanted to mention one point which you probably know anyway. If you come out here on a 457 visa you and your family will have no entitlement to Medicare or to childcare rebate or other centrelink benefits. While the visa costs are much more on a 189 or 190 visa they are definitely preferable.

What everyone else has said regarding expenses is all true, it costs an arm and a leg to get here and get set up. But again things are so bad at home that it's worth it in the long run for job stability, job progression, half decent lifestyle, not paying so much tax on the bailout etc. Go for it if you can x

Hi lano, I recently made the move from Dublin to Perth so can understand your desire/need to get out of there. Just wanted to mention one point which you probably know anyway. If you come out here on a 457 visa you and your family will have no entitlement to Medicare or to childcare rebate or other centrelink benefits. While the visa costs are much more on a 189 or 190 visa they are definitely preferable.

What everyone else has said regarding expenses is all true, it costs an arm and a leg to get here and get set up. But again things are so bad at home that it's worth it in the long run for job stability, job progression, half decent lifestyle, not paying so much tax on the bailout etc. Go for it if you can x

so

nice to hear from someone from home who has done it, hubby isnt really into being tied to employer for four years although it is very tempting with visa costs!! do we need medical insurance i had budgetted $100 or is that to pay for medicare!! as you said not moving for the big lifr just a life it is brutal here!! thanks for reply x

If you come on a PR visa - 189 or 190 then you do not have to have medical insurance. Some Australians take it anyway in order to cover things like dental and things that Medicare doesn't cover such as ambulance - have an accident that requires a ambulance in WA and it's a $700+ bill! But, many do not take it.

On a 457 / sponsored visa medical insurance is compulsory as you would not have access to Medicare as Ireland does not have a reciprocal agreement. You would not get cover for $100. We pay $269 for two of us and we are citizens. Oh, and the government has just announced a 6% increase in the cost of private medical insurance.

On a 457 / sponsored visa medical insurance is compulsory as you would not have access to Medicare as Ireland does not have a reciprocal agreement.

VS, there is an agreement. Irish passport holders don't even need to actually enrol in Medicare, the passports alone cover them and automatically meets the health insurance condition on a 457.

so

nice to hear from someone from home who has done it, hubby isnt really into being tied to employer for four years although it is very tempting with visa costs!! do we need medical insurance i had budgetted $100 or is that to pay for medicare!! as you said not moving for the big lifr just a life it is brutal here!! thanks for reply x

Not sure where you got the figure of $100, perhaps you're thinking of travel insurance..? I'd imagine medical insurance once you are here would cost much more than $100 for a family, maybe look for quotes online from HBF, Bupa.. cant think of any others. We qualify for medicare so havent looked into it yet.

can i add the reason we are struggling is that husband will be cut to 1-2 day per week!!

That sounds bad. But realistically, does that mean your finances are going to get weaker rather than stronger as you plan the move over the next 11 months? If so, you are likely to find emigration getting less and less affordable.

If you come on a PR visa - 189 or 190 then you do not have to have medical insurance. Some Australians take it anyway in order to cover things like dental and things that Medicare doesn't cover such as ambulance - have an accident that requires a ambulance in WA and it's a $700+ bill! But, many do not take it.

On a 457 / sponsored visa medical insurance is compulsory as you would not have access to Medicare as Ireland does not have a reciprocal agreement. You would not get cover for $100. We pay $269 for two of us and we are citizens. Oh, and the government has just announced a 6% increase in the cost of private medical insurance.

457 - the insurance is not compulsory if you're British to an extent but as my interpretation I think you will have to take it out if you're Irish, as you must meet the health requirement of adequate cover as quoted here: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-health-insurance-faq-visa-holder.htm -

"Visa holders who are enrolled with Medicare under reciprocal health care arrangements will be considered as having met this requirement."

British: If you apply for your 457 visa offshore, to be granted the 457 you must prove that you will meet the minimum healthcare requirement before being granted a visa ie. You need to prove you have health insurance OR medicare to meet the minimal amount of cover. Since you cannot enroll into medicare offshore, and you can't get into Australia without a valid visa, you'll probably end up taking out a health insurance policy before landing to get the grant if you're British.

Irish: If you're Irish you won't be entitled to enroll into medicare, but that doesn't mean you won't be covered by the public paid health services if you "flash your passport". The statement below from Medicare explains in a statement and visitors which also means Temporary Residents (457 etc), please anyone Irish correct me if I'm wrong? You will not be subsidised for as many health services as other countries' reciprocal programmes, ie. GP visits.

Visitors from the Republic of Ireland and New Zealand will not be

enrolled in Medicare. Reciprocal Health Care Agreements provide

access as a public patient in a public hospital including outpatient

services and medicines available on prescription, which are

subsidised under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme for medically

necessary treatment.

My experience: I came out here on a Working Holiday visa with my partner and only had backpacker's insurance and enrolled into Medicare within first week of arriving. My partner then got sponsored on a 457 visa and me as de facto spouse, the company who employed my partner paid for our private health insurance premiums as one of their perks of being employed with them and paid for relocation costs such as tax returns and shipping of one container from the UK. Our Medicare card expired as we forgot to inform Medicare we were now on 457 so went into the office and showed our passport and visa and we got a new card to expire from 4 years of 457 visa grant - this time it said Reciprocal rather than Visitor as previous. Unfortunately my partner's position was made redundant, so we applied for PR 190 onshore and since then we have no health insurance but we are still here legally on 457 whilst we wait for 190 grant as we are still enrolled on Medicare's Reciprocal programme. We are both British.

Sorry to be long winded I'm not sure I helped, but just wanted to clarify the health insurance requirement for 457. If you are granted a PR visa however you'll be entitled to Medicare no matter your nationality and it is not as limited as the Reciprocal programme. Also having Australian Permanent Residency you can get cheaper insurance quotes than being a temporary resident. This comparison site is really good for comparing insurance policies: http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/

If your dreams are big enough you will make it, the issue is how long it will take you.

My husband I made the decision to emigrate in 2008 (we were already 25) and its now 2014 and we are still in the UK possibly 18 months away from emigrating. We had to relocate and study to be able to make the move. The situation we were in prior to moving would never have allowed us to save up or even have a comfortable standard of life in Australia. Its been hard work, but its been worth it and I am so glad we waited so long and did it the right way. We want to move to Australia with no debt, its something we both stand by and something we don't want to have in Australia. We are just in the process of downsizing into a small 3 bed house (with 3 children too) in order to save around £400 on rent and utilities. My husband is selling his fancy car for a £500 runaround to save the monthly payments to save £200 per month. And our childcare just reduced by £250. Plus £200 spare from my husbands salary. We know it will take 18 months of savings all of this in order to JUST afford the basics of the visa process and around 2 months of survival in Oz (inc a deposit on long term rental) this is with no car purchase. Its not ideal but I know I need to secure a job before we relocate so I can start within the first month of arrival. Its not easy, however, every step of the journey has been worth it. Even the relocating to another side of the UK has been an adventure even if it was just a stepping stone to Oz.

Good Luck with your journey, never give up but take everyone's comments into consideration. The dream will be possible if you do it the right way, at the right time for your situation.

Is there anyway you can improve your qualifications to degree level? Perhaps a healthcare degree or teacher training (although this sounds difficult in oz). Can you save for your husband to do a reccie and look for work alone? If you have children I too would push for the permanent visa, school costs are popping up in every state and the oz child benefits would certainly outpay the cost of the visa over time.