Melbourne negatives: facts or stereotype?

Nerak123

Hi, we be been discussing a move to Melbourne and I've been trying to do a bit of research but I keep finding the same old negatives being mentioned:

1 beaches are rubbish

2 the sea is cold and you can't swim in it.

3 the weather is very changeable so it can be impossible to plan your day.

I wanted to get a sense of whether there is any truth to these assertions. I guess my points of comparison are firstly the UK and secondly Brisbane where we lived for a year and a bit. We are trying to decide where to move to and I don't think Brisbane would be right for us again but I don't want to move to miss out on some of the beach type activities which we enjoyed as a family there. I only visited Melbourne very briefly and that was quite a few years ago when I was living in London and had no kids I thought it was lovely and quite cosmopolitan but my priorities have changed so I want to make sure it's also great for families. Any opinions greatly appreciated.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Melbourne has some lovely beaches and the sea is not always cold you can swim in it! Melbourne weather can be very changeable but not constantly and you can usually plan your days! The weather is not as consistently warm as Brisbane but it is not as humid either. Melbourne does get a lot colder in winter than Brisbane. Melbourne has four seasons a year and Spring and Autumn can be very nice. Melbourne is a lovely and cosmopolitan city.

There are so many threads on this subject if you have a search around you will find all the info you need. Bottom line though is that you have to move to where you will be happy and content.

Both Sydney and Melbourne have changeable weather which is a good thing in my book, when we are stinking hot we know its going to get cooler. When its cold we can put the heater on or light the fire.

There are safe beaches and not safe beaches and our ideas of what is a good beach can be so very very different. For me its a calm piece of water not very deep and a nice stretch of sand. For others its waves and surfing etc. We have all those here in Melbourne. The one thing is that we can always find a quiet place.

I like Brisbane a lot to visit but I know that I could not live there its way tooooooooo humid in summer for me. I like the dry heat. As long as its dry it can be very hot.

Brisbane beaches are shite, you are more talking about Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast which are one hour and 2 hours respectively away from CBD.

Melbourne has beaches within 20 mins of CBD be they bay beaches, 50 mins and you are on the great ocean road.

You need to balance with employment and education.

I lived in Sydney for 4yrs and loved it. Moved to Melbourne a couple yrs ago and I live about 2mins from many beeches and they are beautiful.

The only problem I find is summer it's so hard to get around as people seem to flock to the Mornington peninsula.

I have to say for all it's beauty I miss Sydney a lot. Seem to have a lot off without sounding rude silly laws on Melbourne!

I wouldn't be moving to Melbourne for the weather - Winter is long and cold (and to me quite depressing without the festive season) Spring is wet Summer is changeable (you can have 19 and rainy one day, 42 and hot the next) - doesn't really get consistently warm until Jan/Feb. Autumn is my favourite season here as there seems to be less rain and more sunny warm days. But no you can't rely on glorious sunny days even in the Summer. Still an amazing City though!!

I don't think beaches are rubbish

I don't think it is toooo cold to swim but it isn't malaysia either so it isn't like a bath 90% of the time

It is changeable but far better to prepare than the UK

Everywhere has its flaws if you love it you will accept it for what it is :)

1 beaches are rubbish

- The four beaches near us are stunning - we are 25kms from the CBD. Google images of Mordialloc, Parkdale, Mentone and Aspendale beaches.

2 the sea is cold and you can't swim in it.

We swim in the sea from November - April although normally use a wetsuit in November and the beginning of December

3 the weather is very changeable so it can be impossible to plan your day.

Melbourne's weather forecasters seem to be able to accurately plan the weather several days in advance. It is changeable, but the changes can be predicted.

BB

Guest Ptp113

Capital of the police state. 2.5 years in Smellbum was more than enough thanks (the footy live is bloody good though).

• 2 weeks later...

The changing weather thing in one day is real. Was in the CBD on the 5th, lovely warm day, only a t-shirt on. Left Victoria market as it was closing just before 4pm. Suddenly started to cloud over. Driving back over the river, winds picked up. Leaves and rubbish swirling around the inner city streets, people could hardly stand up. Was on park road a few minutes later, when a big tree was blown down across 4 lanes on city bound traffic and onto a car. Got back to Mount Martha just before 6 (after a short fuel stop), to warm sunshine and mild winds.

As for the beaches. My kids can't get over the crystal clear shallow water, bay side on the peninsular. Picking up star fish to look at (and put back where found). All safe fun. With wilder waters South and West if they want to surf when older. Yes winter can be cold, but the quality of the housing is part of this I think.

Coming from the South of the UK, we fell in love with Melbourne with ease.

Melbs is sooo beautiful...for all the wrong reasons.. not the Aussie dream of beach bums and sun..more like cold dank in winter..humidity in summer and everything in between... I do love Melbs in winter tho ..windchills and pollutive city dust... its got old colonial charm buildings too.. visit the backstreets around Little Lonsdale St and still find remnants of 19 th century artefacts maybe if you are luckee

Melbs is sooo beautiful...for all the wrong reasons.. not the Aussie dream of beach bums and sun..more like cold dank in winter..humidity in summer

Melbourne has no humidity in summer at all unlike many other Australian cities (eg Sydney, Brisbane). And sunny days in the mid-teens in winter. I'm not sure you've been here in either season from your comments.

BB

Hmm....Sunny Days and Mid Teens in Winter? Yes They do exist but...

You forget dank rain squalls and windchill in mid Winter or the flip opposite Heatwave just this week?

No Humidity? Perhaps the edge of Spring/Summer?

Ermm You sure you aint livin in Port Adelaide LOL...

Archived